• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Microsoft E3 Conference

Kinsei

Banned
Can't get as well why so many seems to be disappointed / bored with press conference. I was just blown away from the mass of games and especially the exclusives! CGI trailer are meh for sure, but still I am thrilled for Phantom Dust, Crackdown and Scalebound.

For me, the Conker tease killed it for me. If it wasn't for that this conference would have made me buy an XBone.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
For me, the Conker tease killed it for me. If it wasn't for that this conference would have made me buy an XBone.

This sounds beyond hyperbolic and pretty much ridiculous.

So despite showing enough to make you basically want the console, the fact that they have an option to add Conker in a free to play creation tool makes you now not want it?

cool_dude

Banned
It would been cool to have Marty O'Donnell come out and introduce Halo--basically, his music will be resurrected in the Halo Collection. Can't wait to turn up the volume on Halo 1-3 and relive the memories!

Kinsei

Banned
This sounds beyond hyperbolic and pretty much ridiculous.

So despite showing enough to make you basically want the console, the fact that they have an option to add Conker in a free to play creation tool makes you now not want it?

Nah, it would have been fine if they just said Conker would be available in a random update. Showing him in a trailer at E3 was a huge fuck you to Conker fans. They pretty much said "Fuck you, make your own Conker game."

rokkerkory

I just rewatched the entire conference. I thought it was better the second time around after all the emotions of hyped was out even. Overall a solid B+ (had rated it B earlier). Just lots and lots of games coming. Great time for gamers.

Jumping in when Halo MCC comes out!

Cider X

Great conference with a steady stream of games and no bullshit. Easily an 8/10. Halo collection will be fantastic. Not that hyped for Sunset Overdrive.

Toparaman

Banned
Nah, it would have been fine if they just said Conker would be available in a random update. Showing him in a trailer at E3 was a huge fuck you to Conker fans. They pretty much said "Fuck you, make your own Conker game."

LOL, no they didn't. You do realize that they invested time and money into getting Conker into the game, right? You think all that was for a fuck you?

Kinsei

Banned
LOL, no they didn't. You do realize that they invested time and money into getting Conker into the game, right? You think all that was for a fuck you?

Obviously they weren't actually saying fuck you, but it sure felt that way. Go check out the reactions in the Conker thread, it's not just me.

Felensis

Banned

I feel you man, Conker in Project Spark was the biggest disappointment for me as well. Nothing from Rare in general and then they put good ol' Conker in this crappy thing (played the beta on X1 and it's totally mediocre). CGI trailers are the second disappointment, but I was fine with it since they showed so much stuff and I can't wait to see more. Better than nothing I suppose. In general the press conference is 8/10 for me.

EBE

some of the reactions in that conker thread are way overblown and not at all conducive to meaningful discussion. and i say that as long time conker and rare fan. i thought his appearance was cute. certainly nothing to get so worked up over.

GKFinns

So my personal thoughts on the Xbox Conference:

Pros

-Sunset Overdrive is my game of the show so far. In Insomiac I trust #IStillLoveRatchet&Clank

-Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Smart Grenades

-Dead Rising DLC having a hilarious trailer and a meta commentary name

-Ori & the Blind Forest looking like Limbo and Spirited Away had a love child

-The Witcher 3 continuing to be the best game of 2015

-The Division continuing to be the second best game of 2015

-Scalebound looking like Monster Hunter presented by Beats by Dre

-INDIE LOVE

-Crackdown's return

Cons

-That terrible bait and switch Conker reveal

-Phantom Dust, Scalebound, Crackdown all being pure CG

-No Gears of War or Halo 5: Guardians

-Fable: Legends looking lackluster

-A lot of the games shown had no exclusive content or exclusivity (AC: Unity, Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider)

rougetaal

Neo Member
I was impressed by Microsoft E3 conference.
Not only by the games, though they were inpressive indeed, but that for once, Microsoft did their job right.
Just by concentrating on the games and not singing the praises of their console, I can't help but feel that they really sold Xbox One to the public.

Animator

Did Insomniac/MS said anything about Sunset Overdrive coming to PC in the future? I don't mean this in a port begging way but the game wasn't on my radar before today and really impressed with how it looks. Not gonna buy a console for one game though.

Filaipus

Banned
Yeah me too but they didnt have the megaton.

MS just have the bad luck of rumors going against them. Everyone was waiting on the AAA third party game going exclusive and it never happen. Also a lot of these game seem very far off, so you had a lot of CG trailers.

MS did also stay aqay from buzz words like "the cloud" and just called them what they are, dedicated servers. Good move...IMO.

They played it very safe this year. The problem is people wanted a grand slam not just a home run.

I hope after all this MS understand what we want in a console. I think the next MS console is going to be a power house.

They did have the megatons, the problem was that they were kind of leaked.

Phantom Dust + Halo Collection is really big in my opinion.
Hell, even just Halo Collection. Imagine that it hadn't been leaked, it would be epic!

~~Hasan~~

in all honestly. I am so happy right now with my xbox one purchase. the 2 halo games alone made my day and justified my xbox one purchase.

plus 2 of my fav xbox / videogames of all time are announced at E3, Phantom dust and Crackdown

MS wins this hand down

madmackem

in all honestly. I am so happy right now with my xbox one purchase. the 2 halo games alone made my day and justified my xbox one purchase.

plus 2 of my fav xbox / videogames one games of all time are announced at E3, Phantom dust and Crackdown

MS wins this hand down

hands down, not for me, it was lacking in surprises, most of the exciting new games were shown in cgi only.

nasos_333

So my personal thoughts on the Xbox Conference:

Pros

-Sunset Overdrive is my game of the show so far. In Insomiac I trust #IStillLoveRatchet&Clank

-Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Smart Grenades

-Dead Rising DLC having a hilarious trailer and a meta commentary name

-Ori & the Blind Forest looking like Limbo and Spirited Away had a love child

-The Witcher 3 continuing to be the best game of 2015

-The Division continuing to be the second best game of 2015

-Scalebound looking like Monster Hunter presented by Beats by Dre

-INDIE LOVE

-Crackdown's return

Cons

-That terrible bait and switch Conker reveal

-Phantom Dust, Scalebound, Crackdown all being pure CG

-No Gears of War or Halo 5: Guardians

-Fable: Legends looking lackluster

-A lot of the games shown had no exclusive content or exclusivity (AC: Unity, Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider)

Fable: Legends is not a main Fable game and is more an party action title from what i gather, so there is still hope for an actual proper single player RPG Fable

Good show , less talking more trailers is always good , only let down was it was all leaked so no real surprises .

No gears teaser was a surprise .

Yeah, I was really disappointed with Legends. Looked like a prettier version of Heroes.

Ah well, hopefully we won't be waiting long for a real Fable game using that engine... because it looked damn good visually.

The ogre was especially impressive.

Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive were the big highlights for me, those two looked great. Master Chief collection looks great but I'm burned out on shooters. I'm not a big fan of Fable but that looked even duller than expected. I have little to no interest in the same old multiplat sequels that were shown. The teasers for Crackdown and Phantom Dust were nice though!

Overall I give the conference a generous 7 and I expected more from them to be honest.

Also which one was the big 3rd party exclusive that 'insiders' were pretending they new about?!

Feindflug

no quantum break?

no devil's third?

IIRC Quantum Break was already confirmed that it won't appear at E3, they will show the game at gamescom. About Devil's Third I expected to see it as a multiplatform release but with all the talk about someone funding it and the game not appearing at MS or Sony at all maybe it will be a Wii U exclusive? I just want to see the game dammit. :(

The MS conference was great IMO, good pacing with not a single boring moment and some really interesting titles shown - Halo Collection is an amazing deal for the content it has, some really cool looking indies were shown, Sunset Overdrive demo was beautiful and looked tons of fun, Horizon 2 looked awesome and Phantom Dust, Scalebound & Crackdown announcements were exciting as hell even though they are still ways off. The only game that I didn't like at all was Fable Legends..that demo was so disappointing IMO. At this point I'd like to see Lionhead try something completely new.

Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive were the big highlights for me, those two looked great. Master Chief collection looks great but I'm burned out on shooters. I'm not a big fan of Fable but that looked even duller than expected. I have little to no interest in the same old multiplat sequels that were shown. The teasers for Crackdown and Phantom Dust were nice though!

Overall I give the conference a generous 7 and I expected more from them to be honest.

Also which one was the big 3rd party exclusive that 'insiders' were pretending they new about?!

It was probably Scalebound.

Jay-T

OK conference, the leaks and pre-E3 announcements made this conference boring, and lots of multiplat games shown with boring gameplay segments, but i like that MS is back to their "We love gamers" mode which reminds me of of early last gen during X360 heyday . anyway Forza Horizon 2 + Crackdown means im buying an X1 !

The conker bait and switch was evil ;(

Platinum game

MCD

Show was great but 4 things I didn't like:

- Conker made me sad
- I didn't the favorite segments between trailers
- I believe Spencer and co were wrong to reveal games before the show. Not knowing about Forza Horizon or how Sunset Overdrive looked might have been better.
- But then again, ntkrnl ruined everything so I dunno.

zhao3gold

Banned

What? Not sure if serious. Why don't you think in this way: MS was teasing a Conker re-boot.

And, Conker in Project Spark might be a cool idea to see what others can develop this character.

MS can learn, absorb those ideas, right?

zhao3gold

Banned
Show was great but 4 things I didn't like:

- Conker made me sad
- I didn't the favorite segments between trailers
- I believe Spencer and co were wrong to reveal games before the show. Not knowing about Forza Horizon or how Sunset Overdrive looked might have been better.
- But then again, ntkrnl ruined everything so I dunno.

When I was watching the conference, I said to the God why I visited those leak treads. It killed all the surprise I should enjoy during the show.

I've watched many press conferences over the past few years and this year was by far the most entertaining. I'm not going to confuse my personal expectations (games I wanted to see, megatons I expected to happen, and disappointment over CGI instead of in-game footage) with an actually enjoyable conference. It's everything you'd want in a conference. I was never bored. I enjoyed watching what they had to show and that's how a conference should be. It's not Microsoft's fault that several of their big reveals were already leaked beforehand. For all general purposes, I'm guessing that the media went away pretty happy.

Sony had a good conference too, but listening to someone talk for 15 to 20 minutes was absolutely boring. You can argue Sony had better exclusives and more games, or whatever, but the conference hit a wall there for a little bit in terms of entertainment. 2 hours is just too much.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I've watched many press conferences over the past few years and this year was by far the most entertaining. I'm not going to confuse my personal expectations (games I wanted to see, megatons I expected to happen, and disappointment over CGI instead of in-game footage) with an actually enjoyable conference. It's everything you'd want in a conference. I was never bored. I enjoyed watching what they had to show and that's how a conference should be. It's not Microsoft's fault that several of their big reveals were already leaked beforehand. For all general purposes, I'm guessing that the media went away pretty happy.

Sony had a good conference too, but listening to someone talk for 15 to 20 minutes was absolutely boring. You can argue Sony had better exclusives and more games, or whatever, but the conference hit a wall there for a little bit in terms of entertainment. 2 hours is just too much.

Agreed, if Sony had done the Microsoft thing and distilled the conference down to just the games, it would have been a incredible conference. That middle part... yikes.

Yeah, I was really disappointed with Legends. Looked like a prettier version of Heroes.

Ah well, hopefully we won't be waiting long for a real Fable game using that engine... because it looked damn good visually.

The ogre was especially impressive.

It looked gorgeous, much better than what I expected from the screens, but yeah, I'd much rather play a proper Fable RPG. In fact, Microsoft could really use another first party RPG franchise or two.

I loved the conference, it really delivered a flood of games, even though I was expecting more stuff that hasn't leaked already. I guess that Spencer decided to keep some things for Gamescom and TGS (I'd really like to know what Twisted Pixel and Lift London have been up to, for instance), which is fine by me. As an Xbox One owner, there's not much more that I could hope for in terms of releases scheduled for this year, and 2015 already looks great as well. I'd love to see some AAA JRPGs in the vein of Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, however.

ImNotOnline2Day

Neo Member
Erm.....call me blind....but did I miss a Gears of War Announcement, or was there not one? They even talked about a gears announcement during the pre show with MajorNelson and they showed the gears logo a few times during the show.....am I missing something?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Erm.....call me blind....but did I miss a Gears of War Announcement, or was there not one? They even talked about a gears announcement during the pre show with MajorNelson and they showed the gears logo a few times during the show.....am I missing something?

It has been announced last year, they've only been working on it for a few months.

Nothing to say, they only got the rights 4 months ago and are still staffing up the team.

I know, because I applied, and didn't get a job *sob* Rod if you're reading you NEED me on your server team ;-)

Pug

The event came across right from the start where Spencer distanced himself from the previous direction the console was aimed, as a relaunch and repositioning. This was confirmed at the end where Phil said welcome to the new Xbox (in which he was basically welcoming gamers to a new xbox team dedicated to games). A relaunch which involves a repositioning of brand at the same time, is hell of a stunt to pull off, I reckon Spencer and Co. have cleaned up a lot of the mess left to them, whilst at the same time slowly putting the building blocks in place to help them pull off this rebrand. Although people were bemoaning the Crackdown CG trailer, Spencer was at pains to point out he wanted the right team in place before signing off the project. Seems to me Spencer has his head screwed on.

Top Bottom