• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 World Cup Group Draw |OT| A Global Audience for Ball Cupping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its pretty clear here by everyone picking uruguay that most of you dont follow football.

Uruguay barely qualified, they had to go to playoff against Jordan.

I mean, they qualified below Ecuador for fucks sake. They lost to Bolivia 4-1!

Edit:

Group B Austrailia 0.4% 2.0%

Ice cold

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I wanted an Argentina-Portugal match. But well, now we have to wait 6 long months for Brazil :(

You'll probably get it in quarters.

Argentina got the best draw, considering the group and the places they'll play at and if France and Germany finish first in their groups, which is more than likely, Argentina could have a relative easy route towards semis. Portugal is the only strong team before getting to semis, but Portugal is not on Argentina's level IMO.

SkylineRKR

Group B is the one for me.

Thats the group we're in. I don't see it as a group of death. Second place is very possible for the Oranges. Have yet to see how good Spain still is also.

But from a neutral standpoint I think its the one with England and with USA.

arkon

Thats the group we're in. I don't see it as a group of death. Second place is very possible for the Oranges. Have yet to see how good Spain still is also.

But from a neutral standpoint I think its the one with England and with USA.

Well I think Group B is the toughest one. We (England) are shit. Chile beat us comfortably without their best player. That leaves Italy and Uruguay (who came through the playoffs). Group G has Germany. Portugal aren't great. Haven't seen enough of the current Ghana team to comment.

Damn, USA just had to get the group of death :\ Weak.

Hopefully the European countries suck in the "hot" (lol) and humid climates of Brazil at the time. It's about the only advantage we have.

Cat Party

US fans need to stop being so pessimistic. We don't have a player who can sniff Ronaldo's jock, but our team can hang with the likes of Portugal. It's a tough group but let's not act like we're screwed.

Well I think Group B is the toughest one. We (England) are shit. Chile beat us comfortably without their best player. That leaves Italy and Uruguay (who came through the playoffs). Group G has Germany. Portugal aren't great. Haven't seen enough of the current Ghana team to comment.

New Avatar took Hitch by surprise!

My English mates are not happy with this Group at all, they've given up all hope now.

Group B though....

Seems like it's the time for me to buy my Freeview Box with all these 2am games!

US fans need to stop being so pessimistic. We don't have a player who can sniff Ronaldo's jock, but our team can hang with the likes of Portugal. It's a tough group but let's not act like we're screwed.

Being afraid of GHANA is something that no team in the world cup should feel.
Portugal is not that good, if ronaldo is in a bad day, can be beaten by USA.

SkylineRKR

Damn, USA just had to get the group of death :\ Weak.

Hopefully the European countries suck in the "hot" (lol) and humid climates of Brazil at the time. It's about the only advantage we have.

I think Americans have incredible fighting spirit. They are like the Germans of the other Continent. You need more than that, though. Germany is near impossible to beat, but its possible that they can stun a team like Portugal that have underperformed more than once. I also don't know how the Brazil crowd will react towards Portugal.

SkylineRKR

What answer does USA have against CR7? As a Belgian I was very happy to get Russia instead of Portugal. Russia has a good collective team but no Ronaldo.

Chances are Ronaldo will underperform. Its normal for such players. A World Cup on top of all league and CL games is too much to ask.

ElFly

Chile am cry.

Ecuador and Argentina lucky bastards.

It's reasonable that Argentina gets an easy group as they were one of the teams in Pot 1.

Ecuador is truly lucky, yeah, and if they edge out first place in their group they can dodge Argentina.

gutshot

Being afraid of GHANA is something that no team in the world cup should feel.
Portugal is not that good, if ronaldo is in a bad day, can be beaten by USA.

The problem is we have a huge hole at right back. Our current starter doesn't even play RB for his club. Ronaldo is going to run rampant on the left flank and could easily score 2 or 3 himself.

What answer does USA have against CR7? As a Belgian I was very happy to get Russia instead of Portugal. Russia has a good collective team but no Ronaldo.

I don't think Russia suit you as well style-wise as much as Portugal do. You might struggle against Russia's Catenaccio.

I think Americans have incredible fighting spirit. They are like the Germans of the other Continent. You need more than that, though. Germany is near impossible to beat, but its possible that they can stun a team like Portugal that have underperformed more than once. I also don't know how the Brazil crowd will react towards Portugal.

I'm not being pessimistic, I'm just saying it would be nice to have at least one "gimme" sort of game. Instead we got three teams we don't or haven't matched up well against historically. Problems with our backs don't set up well for a match against Portugal and Ronaldo.

Not to mention that due to the stadium selection the team will be flying over 8800 miles between the three games, including a game in the damn Amazon, it's just a lot of bad luck in the draw.

The team tends to play well against supposedly "better" teams so I hope they come out with a lot of fire. I love how the US plays the game in general, a lot of heart, and they're going to need it to get out of this group.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
USA might as well book their tix back home cuz they gonna get schooled in sawker. lol!

Mexico gonna win it all and Wilbur is gonna have my man babies with yogurt, clydefrog, and blablurn.
Wooooooooooooo!!!!

vctor182

Joke post or are you serious? England doesn't stand a chance against Uruguay and Italy. Costa Rica is fucked basically.

Even if England is not in their top shape they will not be underestimated. There's 3 former world Cup Champions in Group D and only 1 former World Cup Champion in group G, that's why I think G is the Death Group.

arkon

USA might as well book their tix back home cuz they gonna get schooled in sawker. lol!

Mexico gonna win it all and Wilbur is gonna have my man babies with yogurt, clydefrog, and blablurn.
Wooooooooooooo!!!!

loooool

Mexico won't make it out of that group.

gutshot

Even if England is not in their top shape they will not be underestimated. There's 3 former world Cup Champions in Group D and only 1 former World Cup Champion in group G, that's why I think G is the Death Group.

That's a pretty terrible metric for deciding the group of death. The combined amount of years since Uruguay and England have been World Cup champs is 112. I fail to see how those wins are relevant today.

Going by recent performances, all of Group G's teams made it to the knock-out round last WC. Only 2 of Group D's teams did (and one wasn't even in the WC at all).

Wilbur

Banned
GdFetLS.jpg

Damn, Chile :(

This made me laugh.

Although Chile are the dark horses here. Fuck Belgium, Colombia, Uruguay. Chile and Nigeria have the best chances of spooking fools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom