• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 World Cup Group Draw |OT| A Global Audience for Ball Cupping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Germany and Portugal, holy shit haha.

when_someone_is_delusional.gif

lol

:(

USA beats Ghana. USA beats Portugal. USA ties Germany.

Quote me on this. Make it a ban bet.

Quoting and saving but i don't wanna bet on it. I do agree with it all except:

I think the US can beat Ghana and Portugal, but they won't sniff a tie against Germany i think they will get crushed.

Yeah, basically this. I can see a 'close' game with Germany but a tie or a win is out of the question me thinks.

Santiako

Also, I'm surprised so many people are predicting Chile to do better than Netherlands.

I don't think Chile will do better than Spain or Netherlands, but you have to take into account that every South American team is esentially playing local so that's a big advantage.

Aussie here, at least we have nothing to lose this time. And like New Zealand in 2010, any upset we cause to the other teams will exceed overall expectation. :\

If we somehow get lucky and make it out of the group there's also Brazil waiting. :/

Also, I'm surprised so many people are predicting Chile to do better than Netherlands.

They saw the Euros and think no football has taken place since then. That can be the only reason. We're not as strong as 2010, but 2012 was an anomaly.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Quoting and saving but i don't wanna bet on it. I do agree with it all except:

Yeah, basically this. I can see a 'close' game with Germany but a tie or a win is out of the question me thinks.

Germany might have the group wrapped up by that game so who knows...a tie is at least a small possibility if they don't care.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Since the US is the only reason Mexico is even in this tournament it seems like it would be fair to have the option of swapping groups with them :p.

solomon

While my house generally goes for Brazil (Haitians for some reason love Brazil),
I'm sort of indifferent about them but I'm pulling for USA (Gotta rep the home team), cote d'ivoire (Ivory Coast), and the Netherlands. I pray for the Netherlands especially that draw Damn.

v1lla21

Mexico and USA both advance as 2nd in their respective groups.

USA will beat Portugal, there is no doubt in my mind about it. I cannot see the US beating or even managing a tie against Germany

Mexico ties with Brazil but passes 2nd due to goals.

I also believe that Mexico vs. Brazil will be the most watched match of the cup.

Mexico and USA both advance as 2nd in their respective groups.

USA will beat Portugal, there is no doubt in my mind about it. I cannot see the US beating or even managing a tie against Germany

Mexico ties with Brazil but passes 2nd due to goals.

I also believe that Mexico vs. Brazil will be the most watched match of the cup.

So many false hopes and broken dreams already.

Actually the broken dreams part comes later.

I swear all of my Hispanic friends (either Mexicans or of Mexican descent, I live in SoCal) totally think group A is the group of death because of Mexico and Brazil. Everyone else thinks Brazil is going to steamroll everyone in that group.

I blame the commercials here. Every time a commercial shows a famous Mexican player (usually their goalie) sponsoring a product, they show Mexico scoring a goal against either Brazil or Argentina (or their goalie totally blocking a sure goal).

So group of death is group b.

The top three teams have a combined ranking of 21, lower than any other group.

I say this is the group of death because of the fact that Australia are currently top of the group of death! (due to listing teams in alphabetical order!)

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Im pretty sure that Germany will win the whole thing. They have the strongest team and a combination of skill and organization that is unmatched. The only teams that could give them trouble would be Spain or Italy. I think they will crush any south american opponents though.

Spencer Hall tells US fans to quit bitching, we got this shit: http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2013/12/6/5182388/united-states-2014-world-cup-ante-up

Germany? Jurgen Klinsmann molded them. He knows their cheat codes, and has married this U.S. team's ability to produce mediocre rap albums with the precision of a German machine. He's our daywalker, a soccer Blade who knows how these sunless vampires work from the inside-out. You might think I'm saying that German soccer players are machines, and that Klinsmann will infect them with a computer virus disabling their ability to attack us?

It worked in Independence Day. You're not laughing anymore. You're believing, and that's the first step.

And from there, I was sold.

Im pretty sure that Germany will win the whole thing. They have the strongest team and a combination of skill and organization that is unmatched. The only teams that could give them trouble would be Spain or Italy. I think they will crush any south american opponents though.

The hot and humid Weather will be a factor.

euros are not used to The hell

I've just woken up to find out the Socceroos are in the group of death, you had a great run Postecoglou... Fuck!

Postecoglu is not getting sacked after the world cup, no matter how bad we play.

He was hired for the long term, has a contract up until when the 2018 world up qualifying period finishes. He was hired to ensure that we perform well in the home asian cup and to get to the 2018 world cup, not on what happens at the 2014 world cup.

This world cup was pretty much written off by the FFA when they sacked Holger Osiek.

USA beats Ghana. USA beats Portugal. USA ties Germany.

Quote me on this. Make it a ban bet.

I BELIEVE
...you are going to go 1 for three on that. We aren't getting out of that round. :/

Meanwhile, Argentina has a pretty clear run to the knock-out stage. My wife will be pleased.

Firemind

They saw the Euros and think no football has taken place since then. That can be the only reason. We're not as strong as 2010, but 2012 was an anomaly.

--------------------------Vorm---------------------
-------------------------------------------------------
vd Wiel-------Bruma--------Rekik------BMI
---------------------------Blind---------------------
-------------Sneijder------------vd Vaart-------
--------------------------------------------------------
Robben----------------RVP----------Ola John

LET'S DO THIS

Haunted

Completely agree. Spain, Italy and Germany are the three dominant forces in football today, it's very likely that they'll end up eliminating each other.

That's not to say that no other team can occasionally break through to that trifecta. Argentina, Brazil, the Netherlands all have the potential.

Chuckie

Im pretty sure that Germany will win the whole thing.

I've literally been hearing this for the last 20 years.

Don't get me wrong, they are a VERY strong team and they certainly are one of the favorites it's just I have heard that quote since I was a wee lad.

LAM09

--------------------------Vorm---------------------
vd Wiel-------Bruma--------Rekik------BMI
---------------------------Blind---------------------
-------------Sneijder------------vd Vaart-------
--------------------------------------------------------
Robben----------------RVP----------Ola John

LET'S DO THIS

The two CB's aren't doing well at PSV. I would be surprised if they are the first choice pairing next year.

Divius

I really like vd Vaart and his forward-playing-attitude, I hope he gets plenty of play time.

Man, I can't stop thinking about how shitty and ridiculous that entire show was. Why don't they just announce the draw and be done in 30 minutes max.

edit: bet your ass the entire thing costs millions which makes it even worse

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
He's made some mistakes in the past (e.g. last European cup), he's ignored (or even publicly shunned) a very good striker (Kießling) and has had bad luck when it comes to injuries, e.g. Khedira getting injured in a friendly against Italy.

Sure our matches are entertaining, but there's good doubt - given that he's tried play styles that absolutely don't suit us - whether we can actually beat a great team. In the end all that matters are titles. Make no mistake, we're the Neverkusen of national teams. We've choked too often in the recent past to win this.

Then again, you always need a bit of luck. Maybe this time.

Well you guys always seem to go far, even though you are always among the favorites. I mean, there are always a few teams that expect to win it and "choke", but germany never leaves before the semis usually, so i wouldnt call it choking. Besides, this team is much stronger than any german side in recent history. Stronger than 2002, 2006 and 2010 without a doubt. Germany was always known for organization and discipline, but now you also got individual skill that is at least on par with spain, brazil and argentina.

Im from sweden, so we have played each other very recently, and you guys are absolutely monstrous. I dont even know how to begin to choose between the likes of Gomez, götze, reus, kießling, schweinsteiger, gundogan, kroos, muller, schurrle, özil, bender etc for my starting 11.

Pallad1um

I really like the group that Portugal got. Not an easy one, far from it, but not the hardest too. The Portuguese players tend to play better when the opposition is stronger. I remember all to well the 2002 group, that paired us with the USA, South Korea and Poland, and we end up winning only against the Poles (who were the favorites after us).

Germany will be a difficult game, but I'm pretty sure its the game where the players will try harder. In case of a good or even decent (tie) result in that game, the main problem the coach Paulo Bento will have will be to motivate the players to the "supposedly" easier games against the USA and Ghana. The game with the Americans in particular will be pretty decisive, depending on their result on the first game.

Overall, I'm moderately confident. I really hope that by the time of the World Cup Ronaldo is still in amazing form, and that the rest of the team do their part too. Moutinho in particular will be decisive.

The rest of the groups show some promise too. Groups A to D in particular look very exciting.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
germany lost to usa earlier this year so yea germany arent strongest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom