• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 World Cup Group Draw |OT| A Global Audience for Ball Cupping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a fan of moving pre set schedules to benefit "media" but that's just aa personal point of view.

In terms of the players, well they'll have to play earlier in the afternoon so it'll be much hotter.

Not really. Its a humid climate and holds the heat exceedingly well. The difference between the start times will be negligible, maybe one or two degrees.

If they were going to play in direct sunlight, that would be a problem, but it's 6 PM.

Anyways, you should be training for humidity, that'll kill ya more than just the heat. When sweat just sticks to you, draining all fluid and salt from your body with no return in cooling, you start to feel like death.

I speak from experience, I live in Houston, home of the 100/100. 100 degrees, 100% humidity.

Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but if you aren't used to humidity, you will suffer. I hope the USMNT does all of the their friendlies and training over the next 6 months in the Gulf Coast here in the US.

teams getting to play in the South Region are lucky to get cooler weather.

teams getting stuck in tropical land, oh boy I feel sorry for you. Some of them will be playing in rainy season

LNBL

You guys ready for some conspiracy theory? I have to say this video makes a good case....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaJ3qpaAjG0#t=95

Though the video is not in English, you should focus on the papers that show the name of the country. The balls are all opened after which Jérôme Valcke places his hands behind the desk every time. The papers that he holds up are perfectly straight and unwrinkled, while the papers that the female presenter unwraps (above the desk) are all wrinkled and roll back when she lets go of one side.

Maybe i'm just salty about the draw haha, but I would not be suprised if this is real.

Lach

You guys ready for some conspiracy theory? I have to say this video makes a good case....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaJ3qpaAjG0#t=95

Though the video is not in English, you should focus on the papers that show the name of the country. The balls are all opened after which Jérôme Valcke places his hands behind the desk every time. The papers that he holds up are perfectly straight and unwrinkled, while the papers that the female presenter unwraps (above the desk) are all wrinkled and roll back when she lets go of one side.

Maybe i'm just salty about the draw haha, but I would not be suprised if this is real.

I don't really see the "perfectly straight and unwrinkled" papers, but I guess that can be explained through the way he holds it compared to her.
I noticed already during the draw though, that he always holds it down/out of view first before he shows it. So it could as well be rigged, but I don't think so.

Shoogoo

More conspiracy;

5Hpyq.jpg

That was 24 hours before the draw. That account also predicted that Italy would be the ball moving from one pot to another.

I read somewhere (can't find it) that this account was linked to Julian Assange, but.. Yeah.

I have the feeling that the older Blatter gets, the less he tries to hide his corruption. Dude only thinks about himself nowadays, but nobody can do shit about it, so he just keeps doing what he does.

Addi

I was a bit skeptical before watching the video, but then the X-files music kicked in and my mind was blown. Thanks random youtube dude for telling me the truth through the magnificent use of windows movie maker!

xbhaskarx

More conspiracy;

5Hpyq.jpg

That was 24 hours before the draw. That account also predicted that Italy would be the ball moving from one pot to another.

I read somewhere (can't find it) that this account was linked to Julian Assange, but.. Yeah.

They posted a bunch of combinations for an Argentina group and then deleted the ones that didn't happen.

Yeah. You're gullible.

Julian Assange lol

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
US fans need to stop being so pessimistic. We don't have a player who can sniff Ronaldo's jock, but our team can hang with the likes of Portugal. It's a tough group but let's not act like we're screwed.
U wot m8

Nesotenso

I saw the segment with him and Garber earlier and it was great to see someone actually know what they are talking about.

The bigger question is what the fuck is Regis doing on Fox Sports ?

go back under your bridge m8.

ENGLAND V ITALY HAS BEEN MOVED FORWARD 3 HOURS.

That'll be 11pm British time. Got to think about the money eh Fifa!

Great for TV viewing public but terrible for the players. Game is in Manaus too.

Juicy Bob

All this talk about fixed draws and the like, but the fact is that anyone who wants to win the world cup should be able to finish top two in their group no matter who is in it.

Blackhead

Redarse
All this talk about fixed draws and the like, but the fact is that anyone who wants to win the world cup should be able to finish top two in their group no matter who is in it.
It's not only about winning the World Cup (realistically only 5 or 6 teams out of he 32 have that ambition). Most teams merely want to do their nation proud and go further than their predecessors have gone before. Players want to showcase their skills, win contracts and bonuses. There's also the Prize Money:
Wikipedia said:
The total prize money on offer for the [2010] tournament was confirmed by FIFA as US$420 million (including payments of US$40 million to domestic clubs), a 60 percent increase on the 2006 tournament. Before the tournament, each of the 32 entrants received US$1 million for preparation costs. Once at the tournament, the prize money was distributed as follows:
  • US$8 million – To each team eliminated at the group stage
  • US$9 million – To each team eliminated in the round of 16
  • US$14 million – To each team eliminated in the quarter-final
  • US$18 million – Fourth placed team
  • US$20 million – Third placed team
  • US$24 million – Runner up
  • US$30 million – Winner

This is a lot of money to many FAs in certain regions of the world that can be used to fund football infrastructure and youth development. In the 2010 World Cup, Ghana got an 'easy' group, finished with 4 points and made it to the Quarterfinals whereas Ivory Coast got a 'hard' group, finished with 4 points and were knocked out (partly because Brazil played a weak team in the final group game, having already qualified, and drew with Portugal). Ghana received $14 million while Ivory Coast got $8 million.

man, fuck the krauts, sick of playing them.

the gringos we can beat with a GK, Pepe, Moutinho and Ronaldo only, rest of the team can stay on the hotel watching Faustão.

lol Ghana, fuck me if a team that fields Essien and Asamoah in the starting XI wins anything.

IceCold

Love how Americans underestimate Portugal. Don't let their qualification form fool you. They will be playing in Brazil. That alone will motivate them to do good, plus there's a lot of Portuguese immigrants in Brazil so in many ways it will be like playing at home.

Also forget about Ronaldo or Moutinho, Portugal has Bebe. Watch out.

gutshot

Love how Americans underestimate Portugal. Don't let their qualification form fool you. They will be playing in Brazil. That alone will motivate them to do good, plus there's a lot of Portuguese immigrants in Brazil so in many ways it will be like playing at home.

I don't think any one is underestimating anything. We know it's a very tough group. Most US fans are just hoping for a draw against Portugal. I'd say that is pretty realistic. Especially because the US seems to generally play up to their competition (win vs Portugal in '02, draw vs Italy in '06, draw vs England in '10).

leroidys

Almost every single American on this board and that I've talked to doesn't expect to get a single point out of Portugal. Why are you extrapolating one or two posts to speak for 10s of millions of football fans?

Nesotenso

Look in the mirror m8. Seriously.
Anyways, Portugal did somewhat struggle however that doesn't mean that they're just gonna toss the match in favor of the nads.

seriously m8, everyone thought you were a dead troll during qualification. go into early hibernation under a bridge because of mexico ?

IceCold

Almost every single American on this board and that I've talked to doesn't expect to get a single point out of Portugal. Why are you extrapolating one or two posts to speak for 10s of millions of football fans?

I have seen a couple of people online say they aren't too worried. Or stuff like "oh if Portugal didn't have Ronaldo we'd beat them" etc. Basically, many seem to think that Portugal is only slightly better than the US. We'll see.

But don't mistake this as me saying I think Portugal has a great team. They have a lot of issues, most of which deals with the politics and management of the team. Oh and the fact they've been playing without a decent striker since fuckin forever.

Why are you extrapolating comments you got from your friends to speak for 10s of millions of football fans? ;)

leroidys

I have seen a couple of people online say they aren't too worried. Or stuff like "oh if Portugal didn't have Ronaldo we'd beat them" etc. Basically, many seem to think that Portugal is only slightly better than the US. We'll see.

But don't mistake this as me saying I think Portugal has a great team. They have a lot of issues, most of which deals with the politics and management of the team. Oh and the fact they've been playing without a decent striker since fuckin forever.

Why are you extrapolating comments you got from your friends to speak for 10s of millions of football fans? ;)

My issue is the use of "Americans" rather than "some (delusional) Americans", or something like that. I'm not claiming to be describing everyone's opinions, my anecdotal evidence was simply a counterexample.

I actually think that a lot of people don't realize the jumps America has made in regards to soccer lately. To me it looks like one of the better, if not the best teams we haved fielded in the WC so far.

2San

I actually think that a lot of people don't realize the jumps America has made in regards to soccer lately. To me it looks like one of the better, if not the best teams we haved fielded in the WC so far.
Yeah I honestly think USA has a decent shot of getting out of their group.

leroidys

Man, I'm watching USA - Ghana 2010 highlights right now. I forgot how fucking atrocious our defense was that tournament. The first goal was a joke. Ugh.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Findley ;_;

Nesotenso

Better than the 2010 team by a large margin but the group is much harder as well.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
seriously m8, everyone thought you were a dead troll during qualification. go into early hibernation under a bridge because of mexico ?

wow Im a troll?? lol!! If thats how you nads have me described as, fuck it. go for it.
Anyways, I've been under the radar ever since Barca started winning every goddamn thing thus disconnected myself from football until they started to lose their midas touch.

Man, I'm watching USA - Ghana 2010 highlights right now. I forgot how fucking atrocious our defense was that tournament. The first goal was a joke. Ugh.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Findley ;_;

Nah, the 2nd goal was just pathetic...no effort nor drive frm Bocanegra to tackle the ball away...
Ghana vs USa 2-1 highlights with Epic music

aktham

Is there a site for brackets that gives you points based on your predictions? Similar to the NCAA basketball bracketology? I have a few friends and we want to set up some sort of competition for world cup 2014. Thanks

Wes

venison crêpe
Is there a site for brackets that gives you points based on your predictions? Similar to the NCAA basketball bracketology? I have a few friends and we want to set up some sort of competition for world cup 2014. Thanks

FIFA's website will likely have both a prediction game and a fantasy game (football/soccer fantasy games are conducted different to NFL fantasy) but I don't think it's up yet. Will be closer to the time.

Also, there'll be lots of newspapers/sites who'll have their own variations set up but traditionally, again, they appear closer to the time.

There'll be one of each for GAF too which will be set up prior to it all kicking off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom