• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't

My apologies that this is artifact as all hell. I was recording a video of the setup process for a shot and then dumbly tried to hotsample only to have it crash bc it was still recording. I still like the shot though, and just have this crappy native res as its reminder.

dragonageinquisition2u7lo0.jpg

//edit: sorry it landed at the top of this page, I was hoping it would just end the last one, but got post-ninja'd back there.

Dictator I hope you're posting those blurred, film grained and CA'ed to shit screenshots ironically

I fucking love 'em. Please don't push your standards on others, even suggestively.
I definitely am posting these in a "tongue in cheek" manner (look at the post naming). The game is far too blurry to play for me and is really only tolerable in a passive sense. If I had not played Crysis or Crysis 3 before, it would be a pretty shitty way to play a game the first time. It creates interesting screenshots though. I do like the way a gun looks varyingdegrees of depth of field applied to it... one thing Killzone 2 understood for example.

With that being said...
This just shows how games like the Order 1886 use DOF, movie bars and string notion blur to look as "realistic" as it does.
Spot on. Emulating film is easy mode apparently. The fact that Crysis (7 years old) looks comparable to a "next gen game" is hilarious in my eyes.
These shots would look pretty good if not for the CA.
Ruins it for me :p
That's b/c C3 already has CA of it's own.. DOUBLE CA!
How does that end up working out performance wise and with the UI/HUD and all?
Got any gameplay footage? :D
Both Crysis 1 and 3 are both playable at 30 fps (or crysis 1 is more near 60) on my rig with these settings. Just not at the resolution I am posting these screenshots at. 1080p works.

I agree with Jim, though I'd suggest a manual focus distance of .5 (maybe he meant that?). Perhaps even lower, if you just want only the closest part of the gun out of focus. Its supposedly units in roughly meters.

This is all talking about GP65CJ042 DoF, which is a strong hit to FPS. So far, I haven't seen how to use Matso's DoF manually, though its much lighter to run, and I haven't tried Marty McFly's yet.

You could combine the two to have distant/autofocus DoF with Matso and always have the back of the gun out of focus, but you'd need some powah.

Use a low curve for near DoF. Something like 1-2. Set a manual focus distance of 5. Then use a very very high curve for far DoF. Like 50. Just to disable it.

You should get good near DoF and no Far DoF. Trying to get them both working at the same time is very difficult.

I will try out the nea DOF settings for actual gameplay. Everything I have tried so far has a minimum DOF distance that just stops infront of my character... the only one that doesnt is MatsoDOF... but I cannot figure out how to reverse the focus!
I can adjust the range of the DOF, but not change what is blurred.. :( I am pretty stupid.

please share your settings. Like the file. I need to play C3 like this at least thrice.
I will post that up ASAP:
Crysis 3: 1886 files
Crysis: 1886 files
------------------------------
Psycho!
crysis3_2015_01_20_17kserh.png

Nekokevin

Neo Member
Incredible render for Crysis, thank you, too bad I don't know how ReShade works XD ...
(I already tested it on Far Cry 4 / AC Unity nothing changed).

I definitely am posting these in a "tongue in cheek" manner (look at the post naming). The game is far too blurry to play for me and is really only tolerable in a passive sense. If I had not played Crysis or Crysis 3 before, it would be a pretty shitty way to play a game the first time. It creates interesting screenshots though. I do like the way a gun looks varyingdegrees of depth of field applied to it... one thing Killzone 2 understood for example.

With that being said...

Spot on. Emulating film is easy mode apparently. The fact that Crysis (7 years old) looks comparable to a "next gen game" is hilarious in my eyes.

Both Crysis 1 and 3 are both playable at 30 fps (or crysis 1 is more near 60) on my rig with these settings. Just not at the resolution I am posting these screenshots at. 1080p works.

I will try out the nea DOF settings for actual gameplay. Everything I have tried so far has a minimum DOF distance that just stops infront of my character... the only one that doesnt is MatsoDOF... but I cannot figure out how to reverse the focus!

I can adjust the range of the DOF, but not change what is blurred.. :( I am pretty stupid.

I will post that up ASAP:
Crysis 3: 1886 files
Crysis: 1886 files
------------------------------
Psycho!
crysis3_2015_01_20_17kserh.png

This website is all in German for me...

This website is all in German for me...

Dein Download wird jetzt vorbereitet. Bitte warte 12 Sekunden. Vielen Dank!
"Your download is being prepared right now. Please wait 12 seconds. Thanks!"

Just wait for the countdown to count down thent his text displays:
Dein Download steht nun bereit. Klicke hier, um ihn zu starten.
"Your download is now ready. Kich hier to start it."

Just click on the hyperlinked text.

Masochism Tango, STOP SAVING YOUR IMAGES AS LOW QUALITY JPEGS! Set the quality to 12 if you're using Photoshop or 100% for anything else, or hell, just save them as PNGs if you really need to. It's just a massive shame seeing such fantastic shots being ruined by really obvious compression artifacts :(

Also, change of plans regarding Jedi Academy. I can't capture videos that show the ReShade effects. I tried but I can't seem to find a way around it, so I guess you'll have to try it for yourself. Sorry!

With that being said...

ummm, yeah not at all

I think he's claiming that Crysis isn't close to The Order 1886.
If he means that, he should also take note that I use the word comparable. Techwise the order has a lot going for it (PBR, forward plus, performance capture). But it is surprisingly scary how good or similar Crysis (a seven year old game) looks in a comparative lens when you throw up the film grain, pump up the AA, and de-sharpen.
I mean, I think that is not an unreasonable opinion.

You got some examples? Because some of those Reshade screens look damn impressive, calling them "awful" is an ignorant thing to say without providing any examples to support your claim.

unity
killzone
ryse
driveclub
infamous
order

whats ignorant is thinking adding as many random PP effects as you can to blur out as much of the screen as possible while black crushing most of the image turns x outdated game into something comparable to next gen software. why are all these developers wasting all this time and money developing new engines? someone needs to phone in that idiot sweeney and tell him to just come to this thread, hire all of you and BAM, instant next gen visuals in just a few hours. no need to piss away all that those man hours and millions of dollars developing engine after engine.

of course, im not surprised at all that you would say that

No need to be so aggressive or take this personal. But I don't see how any of those aliased to hell console games, that some of which aren't even 1080p, can compete with those 4k+ downsampled screenshots using Reshade. There are some ACU Reshade screens a few pages back if you haven't seen, shit looks incredible.

No need to be so aggressive or take this personal. But I don't see how any of those aliased to hell console games, that some of which aren't even 1080p, can compete with those 4k+ downsampled screenshots using Reshade. There are some ACU Reshade screens a few pages back if you haven't seen, shit looks incredible.

not sure how im being aggressive. yes, ive seen how much worse reshade makes unity look a few pages back. ill also just leave this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421828030&v=oP0wzBM4wUg&x-yt-cl=84411374#t=70

diaspora

Reshaded Crysis looks quite a bit better than the Order does, I mean that's clear. Without the black bars its running at a better resolution too. Magical was grain and CA does to an image.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
having played both xbone and pc versions of ryse, i can say that comparison is pretty spot on. the pc version is a bit sharper due to supporting higher resolutions. the lod and shadow differences are barely even discernible during gameplay.

diaspora

having played both xbone and pc versions of ryse, i can say that comparison is pretty spot on. the pc version is a bit sharper due to supporting higher resolutions. the lod and shadow differences are barely even discernible during gameplay.
Objectively incorrect, maxed out regardless of AA Ryse looks magnitudes better on PC- the perf thread already makes this clear.

Spazznid

This is a jpg and clearly a shot from last gen. report pls

I'll Reshade it as compensation.

of course, im not surprised at all that you would say that

Because it's true?

not sure how im being aggressive. yes, ive seen how much worse reshade makes unity look a few pages back. ill also just leave this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421828030&v=oP0wzBM4wUg&x-yt-cl=84411374#t=70

I happen to agree with plenty of others that changing color balance, or contrast levels on a per shot basis can result in a more tasteful image. You are in fact being very aggressive and not doing a great job of being discrete about it.

Anyways, not to dwell on things, here are some shots of Remember Me, which I took some inspiration from the C1 and C3 shots. I wish DoF worked with it, but unfortunately there's no Depth info from Reshade.

15716130824_f5474b1cd1_o.jpg

16337681702_470f3ffcca_o.jpg

hepburn3d

Please don't derail this thread into a PC vs Console war. I'd rather see updates of peoples great screenshots and modifications.

BONKERS

I've got to go and get some uni stuff done but I should be back soon. I'll record some footage and link you to it asap! Performance isn't great, but bare in mind that Jedi Academy is a pretty old OpenGL title that runs on the Quake 3 engine, so hacking in all this post-processing annihilates performance. I'm only getting around 40 FPS or so at 1280 x 1024 with no AA other than Reshade's FXAA... as opposed to 200+ at 1920 x 1080 with 4x SGSSAA - and that's with an oc'd GTX 670. So I might just record it in 720. :p

Also, the HUD is affected by the bloom and lens flares because it's super bright and colourful, but the postprocessing on the HUD isn't too bad and my eyes are trained to observe only the characters and the environment after years of improving my duelling skills. Still, if you want to you can turn the HUD off with cg_draw2d 0, although the kill feed and chat still shows up - an annoying issue, as the bots tend to talk to you and each other all the time; a cool feature for 2003, but now it's just distracting. Mind you, Jedi Academy isn't the kind of game I'm going to be taking really complex screenshots of anyway, because it's still rather ugly and really hasn't aged well. I was just using Reshade with it out of curiosity. Anyway, I'll be back in about two hours or so and then I'll see if I can get a video or something. :)

PS - mercenar1e, you can press F8 to take a HUDless screenshot in Outerra. They're saved in the game's root folder by default. Make sure you're saving them as 100% JPEGs or PNGs (you can change the settings in-game) or you'll get really low quality shots.

Well either way, it looks fabulous. If it was playable, and you could inject it all before the UI. I'd play it like that haha
Masochism Tango, STOP SAVING YOUR IMAGES AS LOW QUALITY JPEGS! Set the quality to 12 if you're using Photoshop or 100% for anything else, or hell, just save them as PNGs if you really need to. It's just a massive shame seeing such fantastic shots being ruined by really obvious compression artifacts :(

Also, change of plans regarding Jedi Academy. I can't capture videos that show the ReShade effects. I tried but I can't seem to find a way around it, so I guess you'll have to try it for yourself. Sorry!

That's fine, thanks for trying. And YES, Agreed on Jpgs. 100% or GTFO >_>

Using GeDoSaTo or SweetFX film grain I think would maybe help out with making the more poorer upscaled elements stick out less. But I am contemplating buying it just to try and see.

If he means that, he should also take note that I use the word comparable. Techwise the order has a lot going for it (PBR, forward plus, performance capture). But it is surprisingly scary how good or similar Crysis (a seven year old game) looks in a comparative lens when you throw up the film grain, pump up the AA, and de-sharpen.
I mean, I think that is not an unreasonable opinion.

You are right that it's not unreasonable.

Even without all that Re-Shade stuff, just Crysis with the RIGHT tweaks(Like disabling LOD entirely, which on modern hardware even older hardware is entirely playable that console games can't remotely match. Extending draw distances for everything, high quality shadows with no visible and ugly LoD transitions,etc etc), mods and high quality AA can still blow the ass off a lot of "Next Gen" games. Not to mention the fact that it's OVER 7 GOD DAMN YEARS OLD.

PBR , silly particles or NOT.
(Excuse the Jpgs, these are like 2/3 years old. And no added Post Processing, and not even high end AA. Only built in edgeAA and FXAA at 1080p30 on a GTX460 when I played through it a few years back)
ib2yO0Mh2LpcJl.jpg

iKmrdz1zyOvaN.jpg

T

Top Bottom