• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't

antitrop

15723926484_fe2df7708b_o.png

15719066813_33a4f7a86b_o.png

dex3108

Dat lossyness... Use PS or FastStone and post 100% quality JPGs or PNGs with Paeth filter. Nice shots otherwise.

Those two were made with Raptr because Steam overlay doesn't work with ACU Windowed and i deleted FRAPS :( Usually i am making SS with Steam with save uncompressed option turned on.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Pretty cool.

As always, you have the jackass in the comments that doesn't understand framerate is a casualty in the pursuit of image quality.

They're PNGs and JPGs, they don't move. They don't need a framerate.
Ehhh... I was under the impression that the typical shots in this thread were still taken under playable (~20-30 fps minimum) conditions, still? Otherwise it's the very definition of a bullshot.

Just made a "movie like" ReShade preset for Metro Redux but when I try to take screens some PP effects from ReShade don't seem to be captured.
Brightness is higher and colors seem to be way more bland in screens than ingame. If I'm right I think Liftgammagain isn't showing up in the screens... Strange.
Sucks, I spent a while taking a couple of shots and afterwards noticed something was off. Will post as soon as I get this working again :(

antitrop

Ehhh... I was under the impression that the typical shots in this thread were still taken under playable (~20-30 fps minimum) conditions, still? Otherwise it's the very definition of a bullshot.

Well, it depends on the individual's card. I think I saw someone mention on the last page they were still kickin' downsampled screenshots out on like a GTX 470 or some shit.

We had the "2013 PC Bullshot Thread" going for a while, but it became pointless to split images between two threads, eventually.

Depends on the game or the user config as antitrop posts above. My rig for example craps out above 1080p mainly for VRAM reasons.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

That impression is correct for most of the prominent posters in this thread, certainly at 4K. There are some insane rigs in here and 4K is very playable for 95%+ of games on those rigs.

Spazznid

Woot, another BD player!

Most games run fine around 30 fps for me at 4K. It's when I run additional effects, AA, and Super Sampling, or GeDoSaTo at 8K that I hit a single digit fps wall.

Also, some shots with Tomb Raider seem to have gotten more blur than others. So some came out really blurry. Eh, whatever.

16347939261_7a8bdcfa0e_o.jpg

32MB PNGs? What the actual fuck.

Everytime I see one of thoes, makes me want to save one of my 8K shots as an uncompressed PNG and post it here....

Too many colours :D

Also I think that is the largest screenshot I have ever taken in terms of filesize

You should use FastStone to resize 4K to 1080p using Lanczos 2 filter and save as 100% quality JPGs or PNGs with Paeth filter.

Difference in file size is enormous and people are happy because they don't have to sit around waiting for 5 minutes for a page to load. :D

Here is a good example using your 32mb shot of DayZ with FastStone.

Default raw 4K PNG:
31.6mb

Resized using Lanczos 2 to 1080p and saved as PNG with paeth filter:
3.60mb

Resized using Lanczos 2 to 1080p and saved as progressive JPG and 100% quality:
2.32mb

Too many colours :D

Also I think that is the largest screenshot I have ever taken in terms of filesize

Because you're not saving your PNGs with the interwebs in mind. If you absolutely must upload a 4K PNG, at least use a lossless filter.

Here's your PNG @ 12MB

I save my wide shots at 2560 width regardless of the original resolution. Very few people are sporting 4K monitors. It's just silly, I think. Even with 75mbps down.

I like it. I love it. I want some more of it.

16356218605_cf00e1559b_o.jpg

There's a certain atmosphere in Morrowind that simply cannot be portrayed in screenshots, but good god, between the updated graphics and the game's fantastic design, it's one of the most immersive experiences out there.

Top Bottom