• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't

Seanspeed

Banned
This might be a world first, but I think I have to agree with icecold on this. I do think Reshade *can* produce some nice results here and there from what I've seen. The FEAR shots seem to be a pretty worthy improvement. And it may even be possible to get a screenshot or two of something like Crysis that makes it look quite good. But I'm kinda doubting that sitting down, actually playing these games, that anybody is going to confuse them for a premiere next-gen title.

Hell, even something like The Evil Within, which has one of the nicest DoF effects I've ever seen, is still obviously not on par with the best looking games right now, even on console. I mean, its just opinion and all and I think we all value different things and I suspect this thread being what it is, many here value IQ *very* highly, so I'm not saying anybody is necessarily wrong for feeling the way they do, but I certainly cant agree with it.

Xyber

This might be a world first, but I think I have to agree with icecold on this. I do think Reshade *can* produce some nice results here and there from what I've seen. The FEAR shots seem to be a pretty worthy improvement. And it may even be possible to get a screenshot or two of something like Crysis that makes it look quite good. But I'm kinda doubting that sitting down, actually playing these games, that anybody is going to confuse them for a premiere next-gen title.

Hell, even something like The Evil Within, which has one of the nicest DoF effects I've ever seen, is still obviously not on par with the best looking games right now, even on console. I mean, its just opinion and all and I think we all value different things and I suspect this thread being what it is, many here value IQ *very* highly, so I'm not saying anybody is necessarily wrong for feeling the way they do, but I certainly cant agree with it.

I could be mistaken, but I think this is what Dictator is talking about when making the comparisons to current gen games.

This one for example, does look comparable to something you might see on the new consoles.
crysis64_2015_01_20_00bu7k.png

But under all those effects there is a lot of outdated stuff hidden and there's no denying that newer games look better when you actually play them and everything isn't all blurred up. But it's still possible to get some very cool looking shots of a fairly old game with the help of some post process effects.

That said, far from all those reshade Crysis shots are improved by the effects and I think it worked the best in the one I quoted. The others, not so much.

I can't figure out where to actually get Anteworld. All I can find are links for the base Outerra engine.

Anteworld is Outerra. It's weird branding and pretty confusing, but you get both in one download.

Anyway... guys, please avoid arguing. You can discuss the visual similarities between old and new games without getting aggressive. Yes, Crysis doesn't have a lot of the technology contemporary games have. It doesn't have PBR, SSS, screen space reflections, volumetric fog, volumetric light, radiosity, global illumination, tessellation or anything like that. It does, however, have extraordinary graphics for the time - and the point is that obfuscation of visual information can lead to similarities being much more easy to find. Hell, here's one of my screenshots of NFS: Most Wanted. Remove things like prominent vegetation, people, low poly assets by cropping, and then add in grain, blur, chromatic aberration and B&W and you can make the game look exactly like a photo would look:

Ppmb.jpg

So yeah, nobody's saying that Crysis 1 looks just as good as contemporary AAA games. I think the point is to simply show that games can look similar to new AAA titles, especially when those new games also try to resemble photos by using poor image quality with CA, blur, noise and intelligent camera usage.

Carlius

Banned
I could be mistaken, but I think this is what Dictator is talking about when making the comparisons to current gen games.

This one for example, does look comparable to something you might see on the new consoles.

But under all those effects there is a lot of outdated stuff hidden and there's no denying that newer games look better when you actually play them and everything isn't all blurred up. But it's still possible to get some very cool looking shots of a fairly old game with the help of some post process effects.

That said, far from all those reshade Crysis shots are improved by the effects and I think it worked the best in the one I quoted. The others, not so much.

in terms of photorealistic graphics, crysis is still top 10 no doubt. yes, prettier games, prettier art, whatever, photorealistic graphics, crysis is still one damn fine looking game.

Anteworld is Outerra. It's weird branding and pretty confusing, but you get both in one download.

Anyway... guys, please avoid arguing. You can discuss the visual similarities between old and new games without getting aggressive. Yes, Crysis doesn't have a lot of the technology contemporary games have. It doesn't have PBR, SSS, screen space reflections, volumetric fog, volumetric light, radiosity, global illumination, tessellation or anything like that. It does, however, have extraordinary graphics for the time - and the point is that obfuscation of visual information can lead to similarities being much more easy to find. Hell, here's one of my screenshots of NFS: Most Wanted. Remove things like prominent vegetation, people, low poly assets by cropping, and then add in grain, blur, chromatic aberration and B&W and you can make the game look exactly like a photo would look:

Ppmb.jpg

So yeah, nobody's saying that Crysis 1 looks just as good as contemporary AAA games. I think the point is to simply show that games can look similar to new AAA titles, especially when those new games also try to resemble photos by using poor image quality with CA, blur, noise and intelligent camera usage.

This ^^

My reaction when I calmly opened my browser and read through the previous page.
wtf%20(2).gif

I thought the name of this thread was:
2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Only Place Where Compression Isn't
And not:
2015 PC Screenshot Thread of the Furious Battle Between ReShade Post-Processing and NextGen

Anyway..
Amazing Remember Me shots Spazz! And Cherno dat B&W shot.. Very good :)

antitrop

What framerates are you getting with Evil Within @ 4K, antitrop?
4K, maxed out settings, with a 1.8 aspect ratio gave me about 25-35 frames on the new EVGA FTW+ model of the 970 at stock settings. It runs super cool (25-30c), with plenty of room for overclocking, but I haven't messed with that, yet.

The cinematic aspect ratio was definitely all about performance on consoles, because if I leave it at the default aspect ratio, the framerate is like 35-45, instead. The fact that they went with 2.5 by default, instead of even 2.35 really says it all.

Would be pretty sweet with G-sync, but I don't have one. :(

orava

I'd really like to see how game like the order looks like without that heavy shader cocktail.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
4K, maxed out settings, with a 1.8 aspect ratio gave me about 25-35 frames on the new EVGA FTW+ model of the 970 at stock settings. It runs super cool (25-30c), with plenty of room for overclocking, but I haven't messed with that, yet.

The cinematic aspect ratio was definitely all about performance on consoles, because if I leave it at the default aspect ratio, the framerate is like 35-45, instead. The fact that they went with 2.5 by default, instead of even 2.35 really says it all.

Would be pretty sweet with G-sync, but I don't have one. :(

Well then you're in luck! Because since the game is forced borderless fullscreen, it actually doesn't work with G-sync!! Now you've got nothing to envy ! ! !

but wow, those visuals at 30fps might actually make it a worthwhile sacrifice... I gotta consider that.

I think Crysis does have volumetric fog. I'm not sure if it's used for anything other than the clouds though.

It has volumetric fog (the stuff you see low in the valley here) as well as volumetric clouds (self shadowing, light transporting etc...) which are done with a very different technique (these are in the sky)
crysis64_2015_01_20_1ebuvw.png

crysis64_2015_01_20_095u7h.png

Yes, please. Let's make with the screenshots already. I come here for the eye candy not text.

I wish I had something worth posting right now.

Someone did mention earlier that the DET Flickr group was re-opened. Right now the wall of screenshots is pretty amazing, I think. Such a wide variety of games on display. It's mostly PC games, but Natty did sneak in a Drive Club panorama.

Here's the screenshot wall rendered in 4K!

While we're on the topic of ReShade, check out that Darksiders 2 shot on the top row. Crazy what you can do with that....

Darkdeus

Wow the DET page does look amazing right now! I've loved your Lords of the Fallen reshade screenshots btw jim2point0. They look crazy good. Please take some shots of the rest of the game! I still only have an old gtx470 so my screenshotting has been very limited. Here's a few project cars shots from the more recent builds though.

16312196626_0634ef135c_o.jpg

16336376521_e5b95f81d8_o.jpg

I don't even think I have any AA on in these shots : / They're just using the in game downsampling.

Wow the DET page does look amazing right now! I've loved your Lords of the Fallen reshade screenshots btw jim2point0. They look crazy good. Please take some shots of the rest of the game!

I think I'm a bit screenshotted out from that game. I think I'm finally going to get around to playing Alien Isolation tonight. We'll see if I can do anything cool in there with ReShade :)

Nice to see ya back!

Spazznid

Amazing Remember Me shots Spazz! And Cherno dat B&W shot.. Very good :)

Thanks!

Here's the screenshot wall rendered in 4K!

Whenever I see one of my shots being used or displayed somewhere other than this thread, and other than by me, I get this huge ass Gaius Baltar grin.

Gaius-Baltar.jpg

You make me feel good inside, like cookies.

I think I'm a bit screenshotted out from that game. I think I'm finally going to get around to playing Alien Isolation tonight. We'll see if I can do anything cool in there with ReShade :)

Nice to see ya back!

See, now THAT's a game I think would be perfect for the old, slightly blurry, VHS look. Can't believe I never thought of that. Prepare your anus's everyone!

Until then, here's a few Tomb Raider VHS shots, using similar settings to the Remember Me one.

15724605583_17b0159b30_o.jpg

16158366029_fb92b40f07_o.jpg

Spazznid

15724605543_12cab35f59_o.jpg

16343661002_14056fafdc_o.jpg

I like this look because movies aren't made of pure solid lines. Things are blurred, out of focus, film strips aren't perfect, and motion blur plays a part in it. There's something about making a game look like an old movie shot that interests me. I still love the 8K Remember Me shots with lines perfectly sharp, but I appreciate this as a break from all that.

Prepare your anus's everyone!

I'll always be ready for more A:I shots! By the way, how the fuck can you dare have your own opinion on what looks good in screenshots? You bloody monster. Don't you know that expressing creative freedom makes you literally worse than Hitler?

Anyway, for the time being, a few more old shots from me before I go to bed!

12744979984_cd81e04517_o.jpg

12670875915_f7058edcb3_o.jpg

"Let me guess: Frame rates when these games are in action is 1FPS."

Grrr...

Anyway - what game is set in the black & white, grainy, blurry era, has a boring colour palette that can be gotten rid of and probably looks far better with post-processing than without it? L.A. Noire! Granted, it's probably the most visually boring game in existence, but I reckon the effects suit it quite well.

Msmb.jpg

Nsmb.jpg

Top Bottom