• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Has Been One of the Best Years for Video Games, Ever

A fuck ton of great games came out this year. I know we all have our differences in opinions, but there were a lot of games of all budgets, genres, ideas, out of all sorts of countries, that it's just amazing how they can be packed into this year alone.

I mean, just look at this:

Overwatch
The Last Guardian
The Witness
Hyper Light Drifter
Uncharted 4
Dishonored 2
Forza Horizon 3
Tittyfall 2
Inside
Pokemon Go (c'mon now, it deserves a spot)
Final Fantasy XV
Pokemon Sun and Moon
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Dark Souls 3
The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
Doom
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma
Mirror's Edge Catalyst
Gears of War 4
Mafia III
The Division
Watch Dogs 2
XCOM 2
Hitman Season 1
Firewatch
Civilization VI
Far Cry Primal
FIFA 17
MLB The Show
The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human
NBA 2K17
Dead Rising 4
Steep
World of Final Fantasy
World of Warcraft: Legion
Abzu
Quantum Break
Stardew Valley
Street Fighter V
SuperHot
Ratchet and Clank
Darkest Dungeon
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
Thumper
Steins;Gate 0
ReCore
Rez Infinite
SMT IV: Apocalypse
Dragon Quest VII on 3DS
Telltale's Batman
Tyranny
Owlboy
Steamworld Heist
Severed
Paper Mario Color Splash (ok now I'm reaching)

If you're in Japan, you get Persona fucking 5 too. I mean, I get not all of these are games we like individually. But how many abject failures were there? Mighty Number 9 and No Man's Sky? There's so much to pick from, and it's been a healthy year for nearly every platform out there. I didn't even include an insane amount of awesome indie games here too, like Burly Men at Sea.

2016, you ain't all bad.

From your list I bought:

Overwatch
The Last Guardian
The Witness
Hyper Light Drifter
Uncharted 4
Dishonored 2
Forza Horizon 3
Tittyfall 2

Final Fantasy XV
Pokemon Sun and Moon
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Dark Souls 3
The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
Doom
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma

Gears of War 4
Mafia III

Watch Dogs 2
XCOM 2
Hitman Season 1
Firewatch
Civilization VI
Far Cry Primal

NBA 2K17
Dead Rising 4
Steep
World of Final Fantasy

Abzu
Quantum Break
Stardew Valley
Street Fighter V

Ratchet and Clank
Darkest Dungeon

Steins;Gate 0
ReCore

SMT IV: Apocalypse
Dragon Quest VII on 3DS
Telltale's Batman

Steamworld Heist
Severed

holy shit. That's not even counting the stuff you didntm ention. crazy good year.

BPoole

I must be growing out of games. This year was by far the least I spent time and money wise on gaming stuff.

The only highlights of this year for me have been Doom and Dishonored 2. In the past it would be difficult to make a Top 10 because there was so much competition. This year I didn't even buy 10 games.

I'd like to add Salt & Sanctuary and KoF14 to that list. Plus, we got three new VR platforms with some really neat stuff like Job Simulator and Batman VR.

I haven't played nearly all of those games and I still have at least four candidates for GOTY.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Not for me. Uncharted 4 and Doom are the only two that I'd consider great, the rest not so much.

Tankard

I agree, sadly some are still stuck in a Mega Man age and only see Gaming is struggling.

Gaming has been better than ever, so looking forward to 2017.

"There's never been a better time to be playing video games."

eh. There's maybe 7 great games on that list.

image.php

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I didn't buy a single game mentioned in the OP (Other than Paper Mario, which is waiting for me to pick it up at Best Buy) and I'm not quite sure how to feel about this.

Am I missing out? Do I have terrible taste for not being interested in any of it? Am I just a cheap bastard?

GlamFM

Banned
FOR FUN!

Games I bought with a quick yes/no

Overwatch / No
The Witness / YAY
Hyper Light Drifter / YAY
Uncharted 4 / YAY
Forza Horizon 3 / YAY
Titanfall 2 / YAY
Inside / YAY
Pokemon Go / No
Final Fantasy XV / YAY
Firewatch / No
Stardew Valley / YAY

Games I plan to buy:

The Last Guardian
Dishonored 2
Doom
Watch Dogs 2
Hitman Season 1
Quantum Break

Not sure if I prefer 2015 instead, The Last Guardian will decide that (I'm starting it tonight). Great year of gaming either way.

ethomaz

Banned
Sales says the opposite.

Most titles bombed and even the big franchise saw big drops.

Hope 2017 could do better.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Of the games you mentioned Doom qnd Steins Gate 0 are the only vames I've loved, and there are only a few more on your list that I would even say I liked. Pretty crappy year for games for me. But that's ok. Rocket League got even better.

Pretty excited for 2017 though. Lots of stuff I'm super hyped for. The Switch! RE7 looks amazing. Super hyped for Sonic Mania. South Park should be good. Zelda will surely be great. New 3D Mario. Who knows what else. But yeah 2017 looking much better than 2016.

Yeah 2016 has been great.
UC4, Firewatch, INSIDE and BF1 have been some of my highlights.
Just picked up Tittyfall 2 last night and that's an amazing COD replacement for the year too imo.

I've seen some gaffers hold 2014 as a reason this year has sucked but that year was atrocious gaming wise with only a couple Wii U games and Infamous SS standing out to me.

Top Bottom