• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Has Been One of the Best Years for Video Games, Ever

Tecnniqe

Banned
I keep trying to respond to this and I can't find the right words. Something combo of time machines, what decade is it, is this real life, etc
tumblr_ncr5cnz0kF1rcv5lto3_r1_250.gif

gelf

It's been so-so for me. Little for my tastes that I wanted to rush out and buy, and some that did appeal had deal breakers (eg SFV not having arcade mode). I doubt I'll even bother voting in the GOTY this time. If things turn out as planned I think 2017 will already be better then 2016 by the half way point.

Sales says the opposite.

Most titles bombed and even the big franchise saw big drops.

Hope 2017 could do better.

Sales are not the greatest indicator of quality. I mean, if that was the case FIFA would be the game of the year.

It's hard to argue against titles like The Last Guardian, Doom, Titanfall 2, Forza Horizon 3, Hitman, Thumper, Inside, Overwatch, The Witness and many others.

2017 looks great as well.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Sales are not the greatest indicator of quality. I mean, if that was the case FIFA would be the game of the year.

It's hard to argue against titles like The Last Guardian, Doom, Titanfall 2, Forza Horizon 3, Hitman, Thumper, Inside, Overwatch, The Witness and many others.

2017 looks great as well.
Well TLG you can argue against as it is very poor on player feedback and mechanically the controls are broken at times and the game at that point turns into more of a patience simulator then anything else.

Staf

FOR FUN!

Games I bought with a quick yes/no

Overwatch / No
The Witness / YAY
Hyper Light Drifter / YAY
Uncharted 4 / YAY
Forza Horizon 3 / YAY
Titanfall 2 / YAY
Inside / YAY
Pokemon Go / No
Final Fantasy XV / YAY
Firewatch / No
Stardew Valley / YAY

Games I plan to buy:

The Last Guardian
Dishonored 2
Doom
Watch Dogs 2
Hitman Season 1
Quantum Break

Are you nuts? Why haven't you bought it already? You don't like throwing fire extinguishers in peoples faces or what?

Sales says the opposite.

Most? Eh, not too sure about that. The Witness did very well sales-wise, for example. Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank set a franchise high upon release. DOOM and Overwatch did very well from what I recall. Last Guardian's pre-orders surpassed expectations. Dark Souls III broke franchise records.

I know Titanfall 2 and Watch Dogs 2 underperformed (and I can totally understand the latter since the former was considered disappointing), but Titanfall 2 was not scheduled properly and that hurt it.

Still, we're talking about quality, and there was high quality in high abundance.

Griss

To me it was the most disappointing year of the last decade - almost every game I was excited for let me down.

Horses for courses and all that, but I won't remember 2016 fondly for gaming whatsoever.

Yup great year. This gen has finally hit it's stride. Smooth sailing from here on out. Now if I can just find a way to buy battlefield 1 + Watchdogs 2 each for 30 bucks or under all my desired 2016 gaming purchases will be complete.

Well TLG you can argue against as it is very poor on player feedback and mechanically the controls are broken at times and the game at that point turns into more of a patience simulator then anything else.

There was one time in my playthrough that I had difficulty with Trico. The rest of the time felt very organic. Controls are improved compared to SOTC, and I'm not sure what you mean about player feedback.

Fantastic game overall.

mclem

Steamworld Heist was last year, just. I remember buying it to play over Christmas. And then never getting around to doing so, of course...

I had little problems with it to be fair. Treated Trico well and didn't have many annoyances. There were a few but they were insignificant when compared to everything it did oh so right.

Magical game. Easy Allies is on point awarding it GotY.

hodgy100

Yeah it's nuts. These are the games I got this year:

Overwatch
The Last Guardian
Uncharted 4
Tittyfall 2
Final Fantasy XV
Pokemon Sun and Moon
Dark Souls 3
Doom
Quantum Break
Ratchet and Clank
Thumper

And there's a few more on that list that I was t to get at some point.

Griss

Let's go through your list a bit and find what I played:
Overwatch - Tried the beta, not for me, thought it was really poor
The Last Guardian - Haven't played it due to disappointing framerate, will buy a Pro to play this
Uncharted 4 - A good game, but I was a little underwhelmed with where they took the story and the lack of major improvements to the gameplay. But a good, solid game. I liked it.
Final Fantasy XV - Hot mess, we've been through this at length. Unfinished, buggy, disastrous story, MMO-tier fetch quests everywhere etc.
Pokemon Sun and Moon - Linear and ridiculously handholdy, worse than XY. PSS removed, gyms removed, no 3D, too few new pokemon. Quite disappointed.
Dark Souls 3 - Another masterpiece. Possible GOTY. Unless...
The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine - ...this takes my GOTY instead.
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma - Single biggest disappointment of the year bar none. There were no redeeming features from this failure of game design, imo. A pure waste of my time and money. Still upset.
FIFA 17 - Super slow. The worst Fifa has been in quite some years, imo.
World of Final Fantasy - Hated it, to be honest.

You'll notice that the biggest disappointment of all is what's NOT listed by either you or me - Nintendo games. As a huge Nintendo fan, any year where they perform as poorly as they did this year is going to be a disappointment.

Overall, just a real bad year.

Sales says the opposite.

There was some good games that came out this year but sales and interest in non-phone gaming is apparent. The industry is going into a decline. We might look back at 2016 as spectacular in comparison to a dreary 2017. Publishers are going to release less games than they did this year.

Yup great year. This gen has finally hit it's stride. Smooth sailing from here on out. Now if I can just find a way to buy battlefield 1 + Watchdogs 2 each for 30 bucks or under all my desired 2016 gaming purchases will be complete.

Yeah, 2014 was slower (though I still had fun), but 2015/2016 really hit it out of the park. I'm loving this gen.

Owlboy was the game I wanted to play the most this year, and it was great. By that virtue alone, 2016 was worth it. I also didn't think I'd enjoy Overwatch, and I do. I've put quite a lot of hours in Stardew Valley as well, which was my sleeper hit of the year.

Aside from that, 2016 was nothing too special to me. There's a bunch of games I thought were fine, and games I didn't have high hopes for, but also turned out OK. I still have a few of them in my backlog, but I guess on the whole there weren't too many games I was excited about to begin with.

SilentRob

I mean, you just listed pretty much every relevant video game. How games like Deus Ex: Manking Divided, Infinite Warfare, Far Cry Primal, MLB, ReCore, Final Fantasy XV and a ton of different games you listed make this "one of the best years ever" escapes me.

There was some good games that came out this year but sales and interest in non-phone gaming is apparent. The industry is going into a decline. We might look back at 2016 as spectacular in comparison to a dreary 2017. Publishers are going to release less games than they did this year.

Doubt it. A plethora is set for release in 2017 already, which is not including stuff that's unannounced, of course.

Arion

This gen as a whole is just great. It had a rough start but the last two years have been amazing and next year looks great too.

Anno

I'm with you. For me it's mostly been about how great a year it's been for PC strategy, but 2016 is just great all around. 2017 isn't necessarily looking up to the same standards for my tastes so I'm sure my 2016 gaming will continue well into the next year.

Since a lot of us like to share what we've played, I may as well share what released this year (couple of these were games that came out on the PS4 this year but originally released last year in case some think I listed 2015 games by accident):

Alienation
Amplitude
Broforce (PS4)
Day of the Tentacle Remastered
Doom
Firewatch
Gone Home (PS4)
Gravity Rush Remastered
Ratchet & Clank
Street Fighter V
The Last Guardian
The Witness
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

I have Titanfall 2, Final Fantasy XV and Rise of the Tomb Raider coming for Christmas. And I still have an interest in eventually playing Dark Souls III, Salt & Sanctuary, Dragon Quest Builders, Watch Dogs 2, possibly Overwatch, Bound, and several others, tbh.

I mean, I straight-up loved many of the games I played. A few I simply liked (Broforce, Gone Home), but overall, I was impressed with the quality of many of these games and the variety as well.

Roufianos

I actually came in here to strongly disagree but your list has changed my mind. There's just too many fall games that I've missed out on over the exam period. Hope to start playing them next week.

Loved:

Pokemon Sun & Moon
Blood & Wine
Gears 4
Ratchet & Clank

Good:

Dark Souls 3
Doom
Battlefield 1
Pokken

Ok:

Overwatch
Quantum Break

Want to play:

The Last Guardian
Titanfall 2
Final Fantasy XV
Infinite Warfare
Watch Dogs 2
Hitman
Dead Rising 4
Telltale's Batman

Massive Dissapointments:

Uncharted 4
Mafia 3

This year has nothing on 2017. I mean the next year kicks off with Ni-Oh, Persona 5 and possibly Nier Automata and Mass Effect Andromeda among others. And that's just the first four or five months and games that come to mind immediately.

But new games I bought this year despite my rather limited budget:
XCOM 2: Great game, huge improvements over the last game. Only thing that is disappointing is the focus on "alphastrike or die" rather than being able to set up and substain prolongued firefights after having played Long War extensively
Banner Saga 2: Very hyped, bought it for cheap, realized that saves from part 1 weren't cloud saved and I lost all my progress. When I can motivate myself to beat part I again I'll come back.
Digimon Cyber Sleuth: Great game and wonderful for bridging the time till Persona 5 finally releases. Will definitely beat this.
Dark Souls 3: Great game and very nice gameplay improvements over 1 and 2, love it.
Battlefield 1: Great game, playing right now, best Battlefield since Bad Company 2
40k Battlefield Gothic Armada: Amazing 40k game and pretty much the best 40k atmosphere in any game so far. Also great gameplay. Was really pleasantly surprised.
Stellaris: Mostly what I expected, a pretty good game. Find Crusader Kings 2 still more engaging though as far as Paradox games are concerned.
Pokemon Sun: Pretty much the best Pokemon game in a decade IMO. Finally some challenge, full 3D environments and exploration rather than grids, good story and characters and more focus on that (I actually do like the cutscenes), the extremely stale gym battles being abandoned in favor of more varied totem battles is very welcome and finally mostly good looking new Pokemon after 3 very disappointing gens in that regard. Very refreshing setting. Also trainer models. Though more bothersome Multiplayer (I hate the plaza) and the removal of the ORAS Pokemon finder is disappointing. Still the Pokemon game I have been waiting for for a long time.

baconcow

Didn't realize I had so many titles from your list... then again it included most decently-rated or better major titles (AAA or indie) released in 2016.

Ones I Bought:
Witness, The
Forza Horizon 3
Final Fantasy XV
Pokemon Sun and Moon
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma
Gears of War 4
Stardew Valley
Ratchet and Clank
Darkest Dungeon
SMT IV: Apocalypse
Dragon Quest VII (3DS)

Still Need to Buy:
Last Guardian, The
Uncharted 4
Hyper Light Drifter
Dishonored 2
Titanfall 2
Inside
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Dark Souls 3
The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
Doom
Battlefield 1
Watch Dogs 2
XCOM 2
Firewatch
Civilization VI
Steins;Gate 0
Rez Infinite
Tyranny
Owlboy

Steamworld Heist (came out on 3DS on December 10, 2015)

Rathorial

The last few years most of my standouts have been indie games, but mid-size to AAA games have been kicking ass this year. Even December decided to throw out Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun right before the year is over, and it's easily in my top 10 of the year.

Only area I can criticize is there weren't that many indie standouts for me this year. Some good stuff for sure, a few great titles, but not as much as the last few years.

Still, it's nice to see a game called DOOM be in the GOTY discussion for so many people.

Also, a solid year for stealth games:
  • Dishonored 2
  • Hitman
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

EhoaVash

the titles i got that you listed op

Overwatch - Meh, I found this game very unfriendly to a beginner like me.
Uncharted 4 -- pretty game with nice set pieces felt like a movie sometimes, but this isn't a goty, it had its boring times as well, lots of it.
Tittyfall 2 - I had fun with this game,
Pokemon Go (c'mon now, it deserves a spot) -- I liked it I admit, nice experiement but never playing again lol
Final Fantasy XV - Could of been best game of the year, but so much frustrating elements that made me agitated
Pokemon Sun and Moon - Its pokemon average title
Doom - meh, not a fan of this type of shooter
Battlefield 1 - awful multiplayer as usual with a big ass map
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare - was fun for a second, then I just didnt feel like picking it up again
The Division - got boring real fast
Steep - had potential but got boring with how tame the game is

2016, you ain't all bad.

pretty average gaming year for me, it seems this was a great great year for fans of shooters, i'm not much of a shooter fan though. as I tend to play mostly nintendo games/adventure games so I mostly avoided a lot of stuff this year. I would have got dark souls 3, but I feel like i'm burnt out on that series.

NOW 2017 looks amazing compared to this year with zelda, horizon, red dead, scalebound, persona. yep so much better games already.

Altairre

I mean, you just listed pretty much every relevant video game. How games like Deus Ex: Manking Divided, Infinite Warfare, Far Cry Primal, MLB, ReCore, Final Fantasy XV and a ton of different games you listed make this "one of the best years ever" escapes me.

I think the Infinite Warfare campaign is the best CoD campaign since MW and Mankind Divided is a really good game despite its issues. You might disagree with that opinion but there's no reason to not at least mention them in the context of this conversation. Haven't played FFXV myself yet but I can guarantee you it'll pop up on a bunch of GotY lists. Hell I know people who loved ReCore for the kind of throwback game it was. It feels like there was a lot of diversity this year. That's a good thing.

pr0cs

Totally agree OP, I think exactly the same way when I look at all the good games I will play when I finally take some Christmas vacation. Shame 2017 so far looks pretty terrible, luckily I have enough to play now until mid 2017, maybe after e3 some announcements will excite again

For the 3DS it's one of the best years in its history, for consoles as a whole it was alright (not as good as 2015 for example), and it was the worst year for a Nintendo home console perhaps ever.

All together it was pretty alright, which is really good compared to the rest of 2016. Not as good as 2015, and it looks like 2017 will be better.

This year has nothing on 2017. I mean the next year kicks off with Ni-Oh, Persona 5 and possibly Nier Automata and Mass Effect Andromeda among others. And that's just the first four or five months and games that come to mind immediately.

Oh heck yes on early next year. I'm really looking forward to Gravity Rush 2 and Horizon: Zero Dawn. I'm watching Nioh and I'm thinking we may get Full Throttle Remastered in Q1 as we did Grim Fandango/Day of the Tentacle.

Definitely a very good year. With the exception of Mafia 3, pretty much every game I was looking forward to I ended up enjoying.

I love how big the list in the OP is and it still missed a ton.

Dragon Quest Builders
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Fire Emblem Fates
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Bravely Second
Rhythm Paradise Megamix
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

OP is an idiot, Quantum Break sucks and Gears of War 4 has a boring campaign. Mirror's Edge and Zero Time Dilemma were both disappointments too.

What's next, Dynasty Warriors?

Go fuck yourself OP.

With a cactus.

Yep, 2016 has been fantastic! Lots of great stand out titles and game of the generation contenders for me. And just a lot of hits for me both in the AAA space, smaller budget titles and indie arena.

Just a whole lot of genre variety as well.

Riposte

I love how big the list in the OP is and it still missed a ton.

Dragon Quest Builders
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Fire Emblem Fates
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Bravely Second
Rhythm Paradise Megamix
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

It's more like he put some bad or slightly worse games in place of better ones. Like Furi vs. Hyper Light Drifter. SMT IV Apoc was cool, but TMS#FE was better. Pokemon Go is basically planking.

In line with the JRPG tilt of your post, I'd also mention Stranger of Sword City is one of the best games of the year.

Top Bottom