• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Apple Backs Away From Weinstein Co.’s Series Despite Need for Content

Apple is backing away from plans to develop a 10-part Elvis Presley biopic produced by The Weinstein Company, THR reports.

The Elvis miniseries is said to have been one of four projects Apple was eyeing as part of a larger deal with The Weinstein Company that was struck prior to Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht’s exodus from Sony to oversee Apple’s original content development. The other three reportedly focused on Michael Jackson, Prince and Frank Sinatra.

It's interesting that they had 4 music themed mini-series in production, considering the fact that their current original series appear on Apple Music. (I assume Apple has the music rights to all 4 artists?)

Apple is reportedly putting the full court press on uber-producer Ryan Murphy, who recently sold a new show to Netflix, and celebrated showrunner Vince Gilligan.

Would be fascinating if Apple could somehow pry Ryan Murphy away from FX. Vince Gilligan would be a huge get as well.

ZeroX03

Banned
I really enjoy Legends and this SUCKS. Dude is probably the best part of the show

He’s the best actor on the show, but he’s one of the weakest characters on Legends. Hell other than Jax his closest relationships are still over on Flash.

The show has been very good at working around actor schedules. I doubt he’s completely gone.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratsky...pssst Ratsky...

Mindhunter?

Will watch if it gets rave reviews. If it turns out to be another mediocre "I guess this is fine" show like Ozark, I'll give it a pass. I have no interest in serial killer stories, even when directed by David Fincher.

I'm also sick of Netflix's "dump 40 episodes worth of new shows every week" thing. I already have enough on my plate at the moment.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Will watch if it gets rave reviews. If it turns out to be another mediocre "I guess this is fine" show like Ozark, I'll give it a pass. I have no interest in serial killer stories, even when directed by David Fincher.

ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif

Pachimari

I'm looking forward to Dynasty, although I never saw the original.

Also it has to be said that Legends of Tomorrow improved immensely from S1 > S2 and was the best DCCW show last season. Sad that Martin Stein is leaving and that they keep increasing the amount of episodes each season.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's great that this show wasn't even announced but they are announcing they're cancelling it. That's pretty rare.
The project was announced a year ago, with it about to be shopped around to networks. Sounds like several months later Apple closed in on it, which wasn't announced.

I'm also sick of Netflix's "dump 40 episodes worth of new shows every week" thing. I already have enough on my plate at the moment.
It truly does feel like getting loaded with homework unless you're super, super excited about the show. Otherwise, it's a burden.

Yep, like I said in the official thread this might get me to finally drop the show. He's the only decent actor in the cast.

Dynasty: 0.3

That's what I think as well. Maybe we'll be proven wrong but I still don't know what the hell The CW is thinking with their Wednesday schedule other than "We give up."

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Arrow is trash even the much-talked-about season 5 is still shit while legends of tomorrow is good fun.
I really didn't understand all the praise S5 got compared to S4. It was more of the same for me.

I'm looking forward to Dynasty, although I never saw the original.
I remember watching it as a kid with my mom and grandmother. My mom would have to constantly translate it because my grandmother didn't speak English.

Man am I enjoying SEAL Team,
SEAL Team is putting The Brave too shame however I do wish they would do a bit with supporting characters like The Brave throws in.

when Resident Evil eventually gets rebooted dear god get Boreanaz as Chris Redfield(if he isn't too old by then).

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Riverdale - 0.6
Dynasty - 0.5

Not much room to dance with these CW shows lol

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hulu Insight: Viewer Data Reveals the Dynamics of Choice

The notion of “catching up” on a series – binging prior seasons in order to be current with newly released episodes or seasons – is beginning to fade, particularly in an environment when shows are available in perpetuity. What we’ve discovered is that viewers who exhibit a particular viewer behavior tend to retain that habit in subsequent seasons. In others words, if you watch weekly in one season, you’re more likely to do that for the next. Similarly, if you binge a season, you’re apt to do that again. There are certainly viewers that switch between these modes, or watch in some hybrid fashion, but they are in the minority. Take a look at FOX’s Empire: among those who watched the latest season as new episodes were released, 3 out of 4 had done that for the prior season.

According To Hulu Everyone Needed A Funny Palette Cleanser After ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’

A recent report released by Hulu, revealed the top six shows viewers were most likely to watch right after watching The Handmaid’s Tale. There’s an interesting trend in these shows — most of them are comedies. It absolutely makes sense because have you seen The Handmaid’s Tale? It’s a brilliant work of art so close to real life it’s practically suffocating. Specifically, the shows subscribers were most likely to watch after the feminist epic were Bob’s Burgers, Casual, Family Guy, Rick and Morty, South Park, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

While new episodes of The Handmaid’s Tale were being released, most viewers watched new episodes of the series within three days of these new episodes’ premiere. Specifically, 66 percent of subscribers followed that trend.

Once The Handmaid’s Tale’s first season was finished and completely available to stream that’s when the binge-watching began. Subscribers watched, on average, three episodes of the series per sitting. Over half of the audience (60 percent) watched the entire season in a week, and a brave 30 percent watched the entire series in three days.

According to the streaming service, most viewers (about 60 percent) only watch a few episodes of a series in a single sitting. However, 32 percent watch new episodes of shows as they come out on a weekly basis, and only 8 percent binge entire seasons or shows in a single day.

Pachimari

I remember watching it as a kid with my mom and grandmother. My mom would have to constantly translate it because my grandmother didn't speak English.
This is sweet. Reminds me when my mother translated Filipino movies for me and my dad lol.

I forgot to predict Dynasty. I say a 0.4.

berzeli

Banned
‘Being Mary Jane’ To End In 2018 With 2-Hour Series Finale Movie On BET
BET’s signature drama series, Being Mary Jane, starring Gabrielle Union, is coming to an end. The network has ordered a two-hour movie, which will serve as a series finale. It will air in 2018.

A series finale movie makes for a full circle, giving Being Mary Jane fitting bookends. The series started with a highly-rated TV movie, which drew 4 million viewers for its July 2013 premiere, jump-starting the series, which premiered the following January

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
You think Riverdale will be the unicorn show to build an audience? It never got higher than 0.5 last year.

Honestly? Probably not. I just wanted to spice up the predictions a little lol. BUT if any show on The CW could do it, it would be Riverdale. Awareness of the show is way up, even from when it premiered. Be nice to see a boost in the live watching

Penguin

What the what?

Riverdale has risen from the grave for season 2 premiere?

o_O

Before we celebrate did a market air like a baseball game?

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-11.WED_.png

G0523

What the what?

o_O

I'm not sure about specific markets, but I do know that the Cleveland Indians played against the New York Yankees last night...and lost.

Grizzlyjin

That would be quite the bump for Riverdale.

Dynasty is about where everyone expected it. Wonder if The CW is cool with that and will let it chill.

That would be quite the bump for Riverdale.

Dynasty is about where everyone expected it. Wonder if The CW is cool with that and will let it chill.
They've sold it to Netflix internationally, just got a notification on my phone saying that new episodes will be available weekly, same thing as they do with Riverdale and Supergirl.

Sean

Banned
Crazy increase for Riverdale, very nice to see.

Does this make it the second most popular show on The CW after The Flash?

TVexperto

What the what?

o_O

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-11.WED_.png

I expected a raise for Riverdale, the show got hugely popular after it got released on netflix and the cast are really huge instagram stars now

Wow, those are great ratings for Riverdale. I guess the Netflix deal and all the promoting they did has paid off. I still have not watched the episode but I'll probably watch it today.

Hobbun

Man, that sucks. The interplay between him and Jackson is probably my favorite part of the show.

So I wonder if this could be temporary. I don't know how long this play is going on for, but if it doesn't go on for awhile, he could maybe come back for next season (if the show is renewed and he is willing).

I read in the article they will keep his name as part of the credits for the rest of the season, so that gives me some hope (however small it may be) that he could return down the line.

Aiii

So not worth it

Careful, last time I said this I was told to just be more selective.

Be more selective? But this is TV GAF. I'm watching six hours of television just on the CW this week. Selective isn't a word in my vocabulary.

Pachimari

The Gifted continues to be really solid. Finished the latest episode, and it was interesting no donut with the whole crisis at the hideout. Gotham is probably peaking right now with some of the best minutes in the entire show. Sublime cinematography, good performance by David Mazouz as Bruce and lots of new interesting plots cooking. I may call Gotham the strongest show on air right now.

Linkura

Be more selective? But this is TV GAF. I'm watching six hours of television just on the CW this week. Selective isn't a word in my vocabulary.
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. There's literally one network show I'm watching. I just seem to enjoy discussing ratings rather than watching most shows.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Here comes another reboot!

Fifteen years after Roswell ended its three-season run on the WB and UPN, the two networks’ successor, the CW, is resurrecting the cult sci-fi title.

"After reluctantly returning to her tourist-trap hometown of Roswell, New Mexico, the daughter of undocumented immigrants discovers a shocking truth about her teenage crush who is now a police officer: he’s an alien who has kept his unearthly abilities hidden his entire life. She protects his secret as the two reconnect and begin to investigate his origins, but when a violent attack and long-standing government cover-up point to a greater alien presence on Earth, the politics of fear and hatred threaten to expose him and destroy their deepening romance."

Grizzlyjin

I've been more picky this year. Yeah, I'm hate watching Inhumans, but I just didn't bother with the vast majority of the network stuff. Dropped Flash and if Supergirl loses steam, I'll drop that too.

Edit: I'm down for a Roswell series. The 99 show is surprisingly solid. I got into it like 10+ years after it aired, but it holds up.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

nailed it

Dynasty: 0.4

No one remembers The CW exists this season.

What the what?

o_O

It didn't drop in the finals, so ... Riverdale is a hit now?

Final-Bcast-2017-Oct-11.WED_.png

(It actually gained 40,000 total viewers in the finals)

[edit] CW Ratings Watch!

The Flash 1.1 (season three finale was 1.13; season three premiere was 1.26)
Riverdale 0.8 (season one finale was 0.41; season one premiere was 0.51)
Legends of Tomorrow 0.6 (season two finale was 0.56; season two premiere was 0.64)
Supergirl 0.5 (season two finale was 0.63; season two finale was 1.09)
Dynasty 0.4
Valor 0.3

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Dynasty - 0.4

Prediction!

Dynasty - 0.4

Dynasty: 0.4

I forgot to predict Dynasty. I say a 0.4.

Winners!

I'll go with 0.3

I'll do a 0.5 for Dynasty.

Dynasty - 0.7

Dynasty: 0.3

That's what I think as well. [0.3]

Dynasty uhhh - 0.3

Dynasty - 0.5

Fails!

Top Bottom