• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017-18 TV Season Cancellations: Guess which woman's late night show got cancelled

ZeroX03

Banned
Seems like a good-to-great season can't really turn the tide after 2 middling season for folks

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-12.THU_.png

Good for The Good Place.

Arrow flat as expected. A bad season would've dropped it further.

Meanwhile Amazon will fully take over Weiner's Romanoffs series.

Thankkkkkkkkkkkkkk goodness.

Meh at the Russell series. Sorry you had to lose 40mil I guess.

FoneBone

This is the 21st straight year, right? 3 on Buffy, 5 on Angel, 12 on Bones and now SEAL Team.

I wonder if anybody has him beat, excluding people who did only 1 or 2 shows.

Angel ended in the 2003-04 season, and Bones premiered in the 2005-06 season, so there was a full TV season where he wasn't starring in anything.

Is it true that Ten Days in the Valley is only ten episodes?

The show seems to be one episode for each day, so even if it's cancelled, the story will be completed.

I don't watch Gotham but did catch an episode this week and they gave Siddig better material in that episode than everything he was given on Game of Thrones.

Of all the many missteps on GoT few have pissed me off more than wasting Alexander Siddig. I was so hyped when he was cast.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Angel ended in the 2003-04 season, and Bones premiered in the 2005-06 season, so there was a full TV season where he wasn't starring in anything.

But he was technically on TV in 2004, and he was technically on TV in 2005, so it still counts. The streak lives!

URL="http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/david-o-russells-160m-twc-produced-drama-dead-at-amazon-1048874"]David O. Russell's $160M TWC-Produced Drama Dead at Amazon[/URL]

Meanwhile Amazon will fully take over Weiner's Romanoffs series.

I really hope this leads to amazon shuttering its amazon-created TV shows. They are more or less unwatched by most subscribers, cost shit loads of money, are very artsy, and I am not a fan at all as a amazon stock holder and prime sub.

Instead I hope amazon can dump it all - yes, including stuff like Transparent, Man in the High Castle, and Grand Tour - and then flex their distribution muscle to get deals made with the bazillion new streaming services like CBS All Access, NBC, Showtime, the new Disney service, etc to offer aggregated content from all these one off services to amazon prime subs, even if its an additional $10-15/mo. I'd rather just pay amazon one fee than half a dozen sites random fees for content I may only watch for a few weeks a year.

Its clearly obvious at this point that the content executives at amazon have no idea how to pick and produce mass appeal shows, and the very structure of the way amazon works (highly internally competitive struggles and a lot of sniping) will never let them hire the kind of people that they need to develop the talent or shows that will get them to things like Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, 13 Reasons, etc.

TDLink

I really hope this leads to amazon shuttering its amazon-created TV shows. They are more or less unwatched by most subscribers, cost shit loads of money, are very artsy, and I am not a fan at all as a amazon stock holder and prime sub.

Instead I hope amazon can dump it all - yes, including stuff like Transparent, Man in the High Castle, and Grand Tour - and then flex their distribution muscle to get deals made with the bazillion new streaming services like CBS All Access, NBC, Showtime, the new Disney service, etc to offer aggregated content from all these one off services to amazon prime subs, even if its an additional $10-15/mo. I'd rather just pay amazon one fee than half a dozen sites random fees for content I may only watch for a few weeks a year.

Its clearly obvious at this point that the content executives at amazon have no idea how to pick and produce mass appeal shows, and the very structure of the way amazon works (highly internally competitive struggles and a lot of sniping) will never let them hire the kind of people that they need to develop the talent or shows that will get them to things like Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, 13 Reasons, etc.
Don't count on it. They only just decided to change the direction of which types of shows they're going to produce.

I do think they need to do a better job at promoting Prime Video though. So many people have Prime and a very large percentage of them basically don't know about Video or know it's included in their sub.

I also think the quality of the shows they've been producing has been improving aside from Transparent. Sneaky Pete, Patriot, Catastrophe, Bosch are all pretty good.

I think that David O. Russell stuff is crazy, but that was approved before the recent orders from on high to shift direction and try to find a "Game of Thrones" of their own.

Amazon is going to be producing original content for quite a while still. They just aren't going to produce shows anymore that are for like 12 people on the planet like Z: The Beginning of Everything and The Last Tycoon.

Also, Netflix just got lucky with Stranger things and 13 reasons (and most of their other hits). They don't really entirely know what they're doing. Their strategy is more, lets just throw everything at the wall and something will stick. Rinse and repeat. Both Stranger Things and 13 Reasons being hits were surprises for them. Netflix is green-lighting more shows now than any other network/studio/streamer. Everyone is wondering just how sustainable it is. They literally release at least one, sometimes multiple, new original series nearly every single week.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I don't watch Gotham but did catch an episode this week and they gave Siddig better material in that episode than everything he was given on Game of Thrones.

DS9 joke? Nice.

Wait, Alexander Siddig is in Gotham now? Awesome. Love that guy on DS9, yesss.

berzeli

Banned

Yes, Amazon taking full ownership of a show surely is a sign of them shutting down original programming.

The rest of your post is kind of nonsensical, Amazon can't just "flex their muscles" and magically get everything you want. There's not really any incentive for someone like CBS to move their stuff to Amazon. And yes, the programming decisions/strategy (or lack thereof) have been pretty bad but your reasoning is at best flawed.
To take 13 Reasons Why, that show is externally produced at Paramount Television so any internal power struggles within Netflix would have had less of an effect on it. The problem with Amazon Studios seems to have been a lack of oversight/connection with the rest of Amazon with Price getting to make shows he and his friends liked rather than shows that resonated with a larger audience.
That and there has been a streak of misogyny permeating that company even before the harassment allegations with high profile female creators having to go through the pilot season and male ones getting to skip it and the cancellation of Good Girls Revolt in spite of it being pretty popular (but amongst women).
Gutted we won't get more of these.
It was just too pure for this world.

KonradLaw

Amazon with Price getting to make shows he and his friends liked rather than shows that resonated with a larger audience.

Heh, I think this was pretty accurately shown by them not picking up Edge. Criticits hated the pilot, but from that pilot season it was by far the most watched and liked pilot by the audience itself. If you know the audience likes it then pick it the damn up.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Once Upon a Time held but Inhumans dipped again. If that continues, I do wonder if ABC perhaps is on the right track with a "genre Friday" as long as the shows are good?

Penguin

Once Upon a Time held but Inhumans dipped again. If that continues, I do wonder if ABC perhaps is on the right track with a "genre Friday" as long as the shows are good?

The problem is few are willing to really stick with their genre Fridays even if it has a loyal audience

The Hobo

Netflix is green-lighting more shows now than any other network/studio/streamer. Everyone is wondering just how sustainable it is. They literally release at least one, sometimes multiple, new original series nearly every single week.

I would guess they distribute, rather than finance, a lot of their Netflix Originals so it may not be costing them too much overall.

After hearing "Our Girl" mentioned a few times with discussion about the current American military shows, so I gave it a shot...
How does the show actually look decent yet has an explosion(they use in the opening) look lower tier than Power Rangers?

Actually enjoying it, very weird seeing Ramsay Bolton in it though.
So did Hawaii 5-0 ratings go up after Daniel Day Kim and Grace Park left?

Viewers are about the same at least as the last half of last season.
Premiere was down about 2 million and the rest 1 million vs last year's first half.

Edit: Hawaii 5-0 premiere was down from 1.3 last year to 1.0.
Holding at 1.0 after 3 episodes.

Wait, Alexander Siddig is in Gotham now? Awesome. Love that guy on DS9, yesss.

Loving his Ra's al Ghul so far.

abundant

For Crazy Ex, that's actually flat.

Jane was getting 0.3s on Monday in the back half of last season too. For both of those shows it's business as usual.

Yeah, I'm still kind of surprised people don't know this by now. Crazy Ex and Jane are only on the air because CW needs to fill a quota of CBS produced shows every season and they're the only critically acclaimed shows on the network. Ratings have never matter when it comes to them getting renewed.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah, I'm still kind of surprised people don't know this by now. Crazy Ex and Jane are only on the air because CW needs to fill a quota of CBS produced shows every season and they're the only critically acclaimed shows on the network. Ratings have never matter when it comes to them getting renewed.

yeah people kept saying Hannibal was safe too because it was co-produced by AXN internationallly and didnt cost NBC any money etc etc, and then, welp.

berzeli

Banned
yeah people kept saying Hannibal was safe too because it was co-produced by AXN internationallly and didnt cost NBC any money etc etc, and then, welp.
I don't think there ever was a large contingent of people claiming that Hannibal was "safe" and both those points were correct, it was dirt cheap and a co-production.

And the points raised by abundant are also basically correct. I don't think they're saying the CEX or Jane are super safe but that ratings haven't been the be all end all for those shows.

Not the same thing at all given the CBS/WB split, and to be fair Hannibal got three seasons when by its ratings it shouldn't have even gotten a second one.

abundant

Not the same thing at all given the CBS/WB split, and to be fair Hannibal got three seasons when by its ratings it shouldn't have even gotten a second one.

In case others don't know about the CBS/WB split, both co-own the CW and thus there has to be a quota of CBS produced and WB produced shows. And since they haven't had a CBS produced show that brings in the ratings in years, they can only hope those shows become critically acclaimed.

I'm not saying Jane and Crazy Ex are "super safe", but at the same time, it would be really surprising if the CW doesn't let those shows wrap things up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I don't think there ever was a large contingent of people claiming that Hannibal was "safe" and both those points were correct, it was dirt cheap and a co-production.

And the points raised by abundant are also basically correct. I don't think they're saying the CEX or Jane are super safe but that ratings haven't been the be all end all for those shows.

actually there were, I just followed the season 3 thread as I was watching it recently (fun to see people's reactions) and there were a ton of people, like Ivy and whatnot, going "dont worry guyz its super safe" at the start of the season, and then shit changed FAST.

not saying its the same, just saying ive been there done that shows I like being "safe" :(

I'm not arguing whos right and wrong here, I'm arguing me not wanting to be sad :p

I would guess they distribute, rather than finance, a lot of their Netflix Originals so it may not be costing them too much overall.

Yep alot of stuff they are putting out they didn't pay fully for, they are only licensing, and distributing lot of stuff. Mystery Science Theater 3000 new season for example was paid for by a kickstarter campaign, Netflix simply distributed it.

Lot of the movies they put out as their own they did not fund either, but were films that needed a distributor or were theatrical bound and then for whatever reason not released, so they pick em up for streaming service exclusivity instead of general DTV route the movie would have went.

ZeroX03

Banned
Jane only wants more season after this anyway, and that’d get it to 100 episodes even with a shorter season. I think it’s fine.

CW ain’t NBC. They’re beholden to CBS and don’t tend to pull the rug out from under established shows.

KonradLaw

If it wasn't AXN co-production that's dirsty cheap it would never have made it past season 1 though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm still mad that Amazon passed on Hannibal Season 4.

Top Bottom