• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Oscar Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addi

OP, maybe a little late now, but I would have liked to see the name of the movies the actors are nominated for next to their name. I haven't seen a lot of the movies yet so I had to google several of the names. Also, Garfield played in two movies he could have gotten a nom for.

Anyway, between Moonlight and La La Land, I'll be hoping for Moonlight, but La La Land will win.

Moonlight and Manchester didn't do much for me. I don't follow the hype behind those movie. Especially Casey Affleck's performance.

I'd go with Hell or High Water here, but overall this is a weak selection.

OJ: Made in America however is incredible and should run away with best doc

Budi

Glad to see so many "Silence robbed" posts here! Haven't yet seen the film myself, but really looking forward to it. My most anticipated film of recent years. Maybe for this decade.

I loved Hidden Figures and glad that it got a nomination, but it's the type of film that would've won an Oscar for best picture 20 years ago. However, I'm glad they still recognize these type of films when they're done incredibly well.

nachum00

I'll also agree that Whiplash ending (and as a whole) was > La La Land
Yup Whiplash was much better than La La Land. And that ending, so good.

La La Lands ending wasn't anything special to me. I've seen plenty of romance movies end on a similar note.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Wow, absolutely shocked Aaron Taylor Johnson didn't even get a nomination for Nocturnal Animals. He absolutely killed it in that movie. Next to Ali's performance in Moonlight it was my favorite acting performance of the year.

- My Life as a Zucchini is amazing and should win best animated film.
- Aaron Taylor Johnson got robbed, but I'm glad Michael Shannon is in there.
- I don't understand Michelle Williams gettting nominated she had basically two scenes in the movie which were not special at all. You

Certinty

The kid from Lion got robbed.

As long as La La Land doesn't win much i'm relatively happen. So many better movies on those lists.

Probably because of that time he got drunka and told the cop that jews started all the wars or the other time he got drunk and screamed into the phone that he hoped hus girlfriend got raped by a pack of n words

Doesn't have to do with anything about his career. He created a well-directed movie that is an Oscar worth imo.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
MATT DAMON WAS FUCKING ROBBED!!!! No best actor nom for Jason Reacher or whatever that movie's called?

Funniest comment I've read was, "Now all I need is Mel Gibson to announce the winner of Best Picture, and say And The Oscar goes too.... Hidden Niggas." LOL

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm at a stand still this year with the Oscars.

The least deserving film is also the most important film nominated. Hidden Figures. The film is Remember the Titans, The Rookie, or whatever Disney live action film from the 90's. Hell, they had Queen of Katwe which was a better film than Hidden Figures. But Hidden Figures was a great crowd pleaser and I love seeing the other half of my dynamic duo Janelle Manoe shine.

But a film like Hidden Figures is easily the most important film up there this year and probably in several years.
1. Lead women.
2. Black lead women.
3. Black lead women with a job at NASA in the STEM field.
4. Black lead women with a job at NASA in the STEM field, without a major focus on any males. Literally, it is them balancing their jobs and lives.

How can this not be the most important film nominated this year? 1000% times over with Trump's ass in office. From the picture side, it's the least worth and clearly a political response, but it is the film with the most politically charged message now and is needed more than ever.

The other film and second least deserving is Hacksaw Ridge. I love Mel, happy he is back, and loved the film, but it doesn't feel quite Oscar worthy. Far too pulpy, nor should Garfield have been nominated for it(He should have been for Silence). It's really just the academy welcoming him back in after his time out.

These are two cases where I'm happy both films are nominated

Hidden Figures won best ensemble at the SAG awards.

I guess it's actually in this race.
Nah, if anything, it makes the case for La La Land stronger. Moonlight winning SAG Ensemble could have shifted the race a tiny bit, but anyone else winning is just cementing La La Land as Best Picture winner.

It's weird how it works, but it is what it is. It's a 2 horse race between Moonlight and La La Land, and the former lost SAG were La La Land wasn't even on the running because let's face it, La La Land is a 2 person show.

Movies like The Help, Sideways, American Hustle have won SAG with no impact on the race. This is one of those years where SAG doesn't help, but who needs help when you have a movie with a record 14 nominations?

Ridley327

The bigger story from the SAG Awards last night was Denzel winning best actor. That makes that race much more interesting and makes Affleck less of a sure thing.

jett

D-Member
Nah, if anything, it makes the case for La La Land stronger. Moonlight winning SAG Ensemble could have shifted the race a tiny bit, but anyone else winning is just cementing La La Land as Best Picture winner.

It's weird how it works, but it is what it is. It's a 2 horse race between Moonlight and La La Land, and the former lost SAG were La La Land wasn't even on the running because let's face it, La La Land is a 2 person show.

Movies like The Help, Sideways, American Hustle have won SAG with no impact on the race. This is one of those years where SAG doesn't help, but who needs help when you have a movie with a record 14 nominations?

Oh you're right, I spaced and failed to remember LLL is a two-person movie, it would have been ridiculous if it had won best ensemble.

shira

The bigger story from the SAG Awards last night was Denzel winning best actor. That makes that race much more interesting and makes Affleck less of a sure thing.

Yeah but the Academy skews way older than SAG.

Even Gosling might have the upper hand

I have only seen La La Land of the top movies nominated and...it is pretty good. Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, but good chemistry and an entertaining movie. Weird juxtoposition between modern filmaking and classic musical romantacism...Story was also a bit fluff.

I, Daniel Blake should be on there. I think it was better made, more affecting and about more interesting subject matter than La La Land. I enjoyed the latter film, but it is very much playing to the crowd in Hollywood. The only award I think it should be up for, if there was one, would be choreography. But even that would be contencious when the main stars were clearly amateur dancers...especially Gosling.

To be honest, the reason I haven't seen many on that list is that very few caught my eye.

Alienfan

Really hoping La La Land cleans up most of the awards (cinematography and editing at the very least). I'm still not sure if I loved Moonlight, I wanted more of it, it would have been perfect as a miniseries. Also, as much as I love dev patel in lion, the little kid was straight up phenomenal and should have got the nomination instead.

I will have to catch the rest of the nominations at some point, first time in a long time when I've wanted to watch all of the best picture considerations. I know Hidden Figures will be a guilty sappy pleasure of mine, can't wait !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom