• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny how some people think the thread was La La Land fans calling others salty and whatever, when in reality, if you actually go back, it was predominantly people shitting on La La Land and wanting it to lose as much as possible.

It's really mind boggling how much people want to discredit something other people like and see it lose.

It was weird to see so many people emotionally invested in seeing something fail.

Nocturnal Animals was the biggest snub of this season. What a god damn masterpiece that was.

Nocturnal Animals was a little too out there for the academy.

But I totally agree.

Oscars should get a little more weird.

Icolin

Banned
Also, was Denzel really that upset at not getting the best actor award?

E0ZPRsE.gif

Kebiinu

Banned
I HATE jimmy kimmel so much and his actions during the fiasco just confirm my belief that he is an idiot.

That "You should just keep it anyway" line really ruined his image to me. Then to go on and say "everyone should get an award" to try and make them feel better. I'm glad homeboy was like, "I'm HAPPY to give this award to my friends from Moonlight."

It may just be an award to y'all, but people dream about getting an Oscar, it's like the Holy Grail in film. So I personally felt that Kimmel was almost downplaying the achievement, and that wasn't fair to the cast of Moonlight. Tired of black excellence being just another peek into the circus. I wanted them to be properly commended, damnit!

Evidently, Kimmel tried his best, but I wasn't a fan at all during the conclusion. Going by Black Twitter and some of the responses here, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Yeah, I mean, I loved La La Land and all. But the Best Actress in a Leading Role award was definitely Viola's this year. She was incredible, and the Academy made it hurt by putting her in Supporting.
The people from Fences asked for her to be put in supporting actress, because they knew she'd win, it wasn't the academy's fault.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Viola was amazing. It was hard not to cry and yell at Denzel for her in some of those moments.

It's just I think that was the female lead role in that movie. So the supporting actresses got kinda screwed cause they now have this beast to contend with.

Easily, Viola was amazing, but the issue was simply her being classified as a supporting when she is a lead. She is opposite of Denzel where it is their family and the suffering Denzel's actions are bringing to it. She's in the majority of the flick, compared to most supporting who seem to be in 10-20 minutes, if that at times. She had more time to make her mark and sell it. Thinking of it from last year, but for example, Macye? in the spies movie is clearly a support. He is the driving point to the entire film and the reason why Tom Hanks character acts the way he does. But he's never in more than 20 or so minutes. Maybe a bit more in this two hour flick. Viola was well over an hour+. There were very few scenes without her appearing in at some point, if any.

It's basically shoving a heavy weight into the lightweight group.

And I can see the outrage on both sides. She was easily Lead material and deserved the win there. The only competition this entire year I felt was the girl from Elle, but she wasn't even nominated. It should have been her getting the W for Lead Actress.

It was weird to see so many people emotionally invested in seeing something fail.

I mean this is the same forum that needed a revote for the 2008 GOTY since Metal Gear Solid 4 won. The strictly binary view on entertainment a lot of people have, either it's goat or the biggest pile of shit they have ever seen, is kinda nuts.

That's a shame. She totally deserved the nod.

I imagine its like how Dev Petel was in a supporting catagory despite really being the lead.

Probably thought she had a better shot in that catagory

I mean this is the same forum that needed a revote for the 2008 GOTY since Metal Gear Solid 4 won. The strictly binary view on entertainment a lot of people have, either it's goat or the biggest pile of shit they have ever seen, is kinda nuts.

O well. Its not like La La Land went home empty handed.

Blader

That "You should just keep it anyway" line really ruined his image to me. Then to go on and say "everyone should get an award" to try and make them feel better. I'm glad homeboy was like, "I'm HAPPY to give this award to my friends from Moonlight."

It may just be an award to y'all, but people dream about getting an Oscar, it's like the Holy Grail in film. So I personally felt that Kimmel was almost downplaying the achievement, and that wasn't fair to the cast of Moonlight. Tired of black excellence being just another peek into the circus. I wanted them to be properly commended, damnit!

Evidently, Kimmel tried his best, but I wasn't a fan at all during the conclusion. Going by Black Twitter and some of the responses here, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I mean, it was a pretty awkward scene. Because when one team is receiving the Holy Grail of film, another is having it immediately ripped out of their hands in front of millions of people. I don't think he was trying to downplay anything other than the La La Land team's public humiliation.

e_i

So Zootopia won Best Animated Film...butbutbut didn't Pixar make a movie last year?

I'm being sarcastic.

was he actually crying because he lost or was that his reaction after they showed his clip of the movie and then his face?
That was his face after the winner said on stage that Denzel was the reason he became an actor.

Also, I knew Denzel's monologue was long, but I didn't realize it was a fucking 14 page monologue! What a god, actually.

pestul

was he actually crying because he lost or was that his reaction after they showed his clip of the movie and then his face?
That was after he lost. In fact, most of the other nominees looked pretty choked up as well, more so than any award that night. It was very competitive.

EDIT: That's true above too. Casey had just mentioned that Denzel was his idol, but all the others looked very upset too.

That was after he lost. In fact, most of the other nominees looked pretty choked up as well, more so than any award that night. It was very competitive.

EDIT: That's true above too. Casey had just mentioned that Denzel was his idol, but all the others looked very upset too.
It could indeed be that he was down that he didn't win. But that doesn't strike me as Denzel's style. He already has an Oscar at home, so I'd like to think it wa St he comments from the winner touching him more than not winning another Oscar. But I could be wrong.

Ohwiseone

I guess I don't get the backlash, I never have and I never will regarding La La Land.

I saw both Moonlight and La La Land. Moonlight is fantastic, and well deserving of Best Picture. It is a complete masterpiece, shot beautifully, powerfully written and done on a TINY ass budget (1.5 million I think).

But having said that, La La Land impacted me way more. I adore that movie, I think it's technically impressive, and beautiful to look at. It's a movie that builds up incredible chemistry between two people and you buy into what is going on and what it's trying to do after the first five minute, and then punches you in the stomach at the end.

I mean it has problems (The crappy singing isn't one of them) which I saw were more glaring in my second viewing. which mostly revolves around the Second Act and how much it drags up until after they have the
big fight
. I feel like the momentum stops after "City of Stars' and doesn't pick up until after
He doesn't show up during her play, and she goes back home

I am happy a movie like Moonlight won, what it does is amazing.

I just don't understand the hate and the shit being thrown towards La La Land.

/rant

rekameohs

Banned
I imagine its like how Dev Petel was in a supporting catagory despite really being the lead.

Probably thought she had a better shot in that catagory

O well. Its not like La La Land went home empty handed.
Hah, with Lion I totally thought that the section with the little boy was definitely the best part, but that is a strange one since it was always marketed as a Dev Patel movie.

SeanC

100% this and so is Moonlight. Both movies are absolutely terrific and we should be able to enjoy both without this nonsense.

Yeah, you'd think there's some law that says you can't love more than one movie.

If anything, I felt that snafu at the end of the ceremony kind of brought the idea you can love both into perspective. I wish La La didn't have it's heart broken and I wish Moonlight had a rightful announcement done correctly to have that "and the winner is" moment, though.

Neither were my personal favorites of the year on top of all that. Still loved both, though.

Same thing happened last year with Alicia Vikander. I wish the academy would stop moving fools around the categories in order to do shit like that, do it like the Globes and award for the movie genre. It's less idiotic then calling supporting actress the only fucking actress in the cast.

Had there been more outrage maybe it wouldn't have been repeated this year.

O well. Michelle was incredible and elevated the movie from excellent to breathtaking with her 15 minutes.

Valhelm

contribute something
I guess I don't get the backlash, I never have and I never will regarding La La Land.

I saw both Moonlight and La La Land. Moonlight is fantastic, and well deserving of Best Picture. It is a complete masterpiece, shot beautifully, powerfully written and done on a TINY ass budget (1.5 million I think).

But having said that, La La Land impacted me way more. I adore that movie, I think it's technically impressive, and beautiful to look at. It's a movie that builds up incredible chemistry between two people and you buy into what is going on and what it's trying to do after the first five minute, and then punches you in the stomach at the end.

I mean it has problems (The crappy singing isn't one of them) which I saw were more glaring in my second viewing. which mostly revolves around the Second Act and how much it drags up until after they have the
big fight
. I feel like the momentum stops after "City of Stars' and doesn't pick up until after
He doesn't show up during her play, and she goes back home

I am happy a movie like Moonlight won, what it does is amazing.

I just don't understand the hate and the shit being thrown towards La La Land.

/rant

A lot of folks translate their distress over the election onto other big conflicts. While you could make a case for the Patriots shocker being vaguely reminiscent of Trump's win, doing that here is totally unfair to the creators of La La Land.

Shout out to ke0 who told me to go see Moonlight. I saw one of the last showings here in my area. Empty theater save for one other person. I was 10 minutes late for it because the first theater I went to had stopped showing it despite the online site saying otherwise. They even still had the signage up. I find another theater 30 minutes away and sped all the way there instead of giving up.

Now feeling smug as fuck for being one of like 5 of us that actually saw the movie in theaters. lol

Yeah, I mean, I loved La La Land and all. But the Best Actress in a Leading Role award was definitely Viola's this year. She was incredible, and the Academy made it hurt by putting her in Supporting.

Actually it was Rudin's decision to put Davis in supporting role, and she eventually agreed to it, after some infighting or something.

Shout out to ke0 who told me to go see Moonlight. I saw one of the last showings here in my area. Empty theater save for one other person. I was 10 minutes late for it because the first theater I went to had stopped showing it despite the online site saying otherwise. They even still had the signage up. I find another theater 30 minutes away and sped all the way there instead of giving up.

Now feeling smug as fuck for being one of like 5 of us that actually saw the movie in theaters. lol

I hear it's back in theaters now.

I saw it in a mostly-empty theater as well, and so glad that I did.

SeanC

Actually it was Rudin's decision to put Davis in supporting role, and she eventually agreed to it, after some infighting or something.

That's disappointing. It was a pretty weak year on the Best Actor/Actress front I thought, some good ones but nothing utterly standout. I think Viola Davis would have taken Best Actress, I'll remember that performance for a while.

Edit: I wish I saw her do that on stage in the original play. I need to go to the theatre more.

Dominator

Only one I really cared about to win was Casey Affleck and he won, so I left the night satisfied.

I wanted Arrival to win BP but I knew it wasn't going to happen so I didn't really care about that one.

KHarvey16

Some of the reactions here to be his whole ordeal seem so bizarre to me.

Imagine a secret camera filming someone as the person working the snack counter at the theater hands a man his junior mints and soda and says "enjoy the movie!" He, expecting a "have a nice day" or similar, responds with "you too!" Just an awkward exchange between two strangers? Oh no. This man is a terrible human being, mocking the poor working schlub who can't afford a break to enjoy a movie, never mind the $12 price tag. He is nothing but a bully looking to assert his dominance over those with less than he. It's an outrage.

Kebiinu

Banned
I mean, it was a pretty awkward scene. Because when one team is receiving the Holy Grail of film, another is having it immediately ripped out of their hands in front of millions of people. I don't think he was trying to downplay anything other than the La La Land team's public humiliation.

And that's just it, even now I see, "I feel so sorry for the cast of LaLaLand, Kimmel, Beatty, and the team. That being said, congrats to Moonlight!" it's not THEIR moment. In fact, it seems like their success is now an after thought. Especially with the 'popular vote vs electoral vote' memes this shit produced. It was their award, the only one who reacted well enough, was the producer who welcomed the cast and crew of Moonlight onto the stage. This was after the awkward pauses, lame jokes, and deer in headlights shock.

Again, saying "You should just keep it anyway" just comes off as downplaying the importance of such an achievement. It was their moment, they were robbed from it. It wasn't the fault of anyone on that stage, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm not a fan of Kimmel. Just by his 'jokes' after the fact.

Oh well, lol.

Oersted

Nocturnal Animals was the biggest snub of this season. What a god damn masterpiece that was.

Handmaiden? Even if you didn't like it, its close to impossible to pretend it didn't deserve noms.

the-handmaiden.jpg

Just look at this pic and you see makeup and production design being way above average

rezn0r

Late to the party but I can't agree with anyone being mad at Horowitz for yanking the card the way he did. I thought he was trying to do the right thing in the moment and that's that. I'd bet Warren isn't mad at him.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Late to the party but I can't agree with anyone being mad at Horowitz for yanking the card the way he did. I thought he was trying to do the right thing in the moment and that's that. I'd bet Warren isn't mad at him.

Warren got to explain himself and that guy did the right thing. Longer they waited more people will say it is a conspiracy or some shit.

That's disappointing. It was a pretty weak year on the Best Actor/Actress front I thought, some good ones but nothing utterly standout. I think Viola Davis would have taken Best Actress, I'll remember that performance for a while.

Edit: I wish I saw her do that on stage in the original play. I need to go to the theatre more.

At the time they assumed she'd have a better chance to win in supporting. I agree that she would have been nominated in leading just fine, I don't think she would have easily have been the frontrunner in that category, though.

The One and Done™;231116501 said:
Yes. Absolutely LOVED Moonlight. It was a masterclass and it's cinematography is phenomenal. Every shot in the movie is gorgeous and the score and editing are top notch.

It's ok to love both LLL and ML.
Yup. I love both with Arrival and Hell or High Water in there too. I'm glad the important movie won, but I'm just sad people is ignoring that this wonderful movie won. Instead, all I see is memes and people talking about the fuck up.

It was a great year for film if you watch more than only franchise films and comicbook movies.

p2535748

I disagree with this being weak for actor. I actually thought all of the lead actors were very good this year. Probably one of the stronger lists of the past four or five years. I'd take at least Denzel and Affleck (and maybe Mortenson and Garfield) over any winner since Daniel Day Lewis. Hell, Gosling is maybe the weakest of them, and I still thought he was one of the best parts of La La Land.

Blader

And that's just it, even now I see, "I feel so sorry for the cast of LaLaLand, Kimmel, Beatty, and the team. That being said, congrats to Moonlight!" it's not THEIR moment.

I mean, given the circumstances, that can't really be helped.

I just think of Jenkins' acceptance speech for screenplay as his Best Picture moment. :lol

Sanjuro

I made the mistake of lying down last night...#old

Moonlight wouldn't have been my choice of Best Picture, but I do like the categories that La La Land and Manchester won outside of that, so it felt like everything balanced out well IMO.

Jigolo

Caseys performance was unreal. Having seen all the nominees this year sans Vigo for best actor I don't even think it was close. I think performances like that come along maybe once every 10 years or so. Before this I'd never even seen a Casey Affleck movie before but now I'm inclined to watch some of his earlier stuff. I just knew him as Bens shadow pretty much

Croyles

I always had a suspicion that all the winners were already aware if they had won or not before the actual ceremony. I guess this debunks that totally.

The best actress category was the most competitive one this year (hence the studio putting Viola in supporting to solidify her chances).

For months, Natalie, Huppert and Stone have been front runners. I doubt Viola would have won in this category. Keep in mind the only black actress to ever win this was Hally Berry..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom