• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Oscar Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
The House I Live In is way better.

Multiple documentaries with raising issues on similar things is never a bad thing. If you think everyone should see The House I Live In then that's great...

However, it's not relevant to the 2017 Oscar category for which 13th is nominated. If you think one of the other nominated documentaries from last year (and not one from 2012) should win instead then that's cool. I want 13th to win and help raise awareness for its messages.

Thanks for the drive by though

OJ: Made in America is one of the best things I've ever seen. Normally I'm not a huge fan of that type of bend-the-rules/game the system type approach, but this docu deserves all the recognition in the world.

It's really pretty amazing. Certainly the best thing I watched on the small screen all year, and as my list shows I liked it better than like 95% of the movies I saw as well.

Sean C

I think he means the people voting for the winners (the entire academy). I'm pretty sure the people specifically voting for the nominees are involved in the animation industry.
Nominees for Best Picture are voted on by everyone.

Only three animated films have been nominated for Best Picture (Disney's Beauty and the Beast, (1991); and Disney-Pixar's Up (2009) and Toy Story 3 (2010) were nominated after the Academy expanded the number of nominees) and none have won.
This isn't true.

EDIT: I see lightskintwin beat me. Ayuuup.
2009-2010 is "recent" by any reasonable measure. Point is, there's clearly a good base of people in the Academy who appreciate animation, otherwise those nominations wouldn't have happened.

Sanjuro

It's really pretty amazing. Certainly the best thing I watched on the small screen all year, and as my list shows I liked it better than like 95% of the movies I saw as well.

Yeah. The pairing of this and the People Vs. was both wonderful and trashy at the same time.

Wanderer5

I should get around seeing My Life as a Zucchini and Red Turtle. And wow for animated short I had seen 3 ou of the 5 in the list (Pearl, Borrowed Time, and Piper, which all three are pretty great).XD Bit sad that Inner Workings didn't make that list, cause that one was really good and fun to see.

Iceman

I need to get around to seeing La La Land, but I just can't muster any excitement for it whatsoever. It's weird; I like Gosling, Stone, and Chazelle. I like musicals. But this just seems like a hard pass for me.

Fully expect it to sweep the Oscars, too. As has been mentioned, Hollywood just LOVES movies about show business (Hollywood).

It definitely helps to have the story couched in Hollywood, but as no doubt many have already stated, La La land is a deconstruction of the Hollywood myth. And it has more to do with the pitfalls of following your dreams - a reason why the Hollywood setting makes sense.

I defy anyone to hold up another movie that can even come close to matching the ending of la la land*. I doubt anything recent (and not done by Chazelle) finishes with such a flourish. It leaves stronger than it starts. And it starts strong.

It's a masterclass in direction at the same time as it's a high wire act, balancing the fantasy musical elements with the grounded drama.

*Arrival had the biggest gut punch of all the movies I saw, but it was at/near the end of the second act. Manchester was a real devastating film but it's huge reveal was presented matter-of-factly - it's somber tone dulled the effect just a bit too much. Moonlight was punching at Manchester's level, had me in tears twice, at the end of act one and the beginning of act three, but it ended gently, gracefully. Hacksaw was probably the movie that ended nearly as strong as La la land, but even then.. without going into spoilers.. la la land was juggling two endings at the same time, and it stuck the landing hard.

There's no reason to be upset if la la land wins best picture. It's just that good.

But I wouldn't be upset if Manchester, Moonlight, Arrival, Hell or High Water, or even Hacksaw wins. I just don't think any other movie was aiming as high, or executed as effectively, as La La Land.

DJChuy

Just noticed Peter Parker and Mary Jane got nominated. Good for them, and I'm very happy for Garfield. I thought his career was going to go downhill after Spider-Man, but he had a fantastic year.

Shame about Amy Adams. Haven't seen Arrival, but she was great in Nocturnal Animals. Speaking of NA, the kickass guy didn't get nominated but won the Golden Globe.

Ninjimbo

Kind of a mediocre year if La La Land is getting that many nominations. It wasn't even good. Arrival should win out on script alone but we all know it won't.

Best Director should go to either Denis or Mel in that list. Chazelle shouldn't get anything right now.

nachum00

Kind of a mediocre year if La La Land is getting that many nominations. It wasn't even good. Arrival should win out on script alone but we all know it won't.

Best Director should go to either Denis or Mel in that list. Chazelle shouldn't get anything right now.
It was a great year for movies. The Oscars just love well made musicals.

shira

The Oscars are a popularity contest not a quality barometer.

Best year for movies in quite a while

jokkir

Alright, guys. Probably going to see Moonlight because of the nomination. What should I expect? Last movie I saw was La La Land and that was fantastic

Ninjimbo

Best year for movies in quite a while
You think so? Not many extraordinary movies this year for me. I don't feel like anything nominated will be remembered as great in ten years. Just a bunch of solid films you watch once and quickly forget about this time next year.

I haven't seen Moonlight yet tho. I'm watching that tonight.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ESPN Films had a really good feeling about it early on, so it made some important festival appearances where it was screened in its entirety as one film a couple of months prior to airing on ESPN. The director has also maintained that it was envisioned as a whole film prior to it being split up into episodes, and to be honest, it actually does flow really well as a whole without any gaps.

I will say that if it was anything other than a documentary, then I don't think it would have been so easily considered otherwise. The feature-length documentary category has really been the only progressive one in terms of eligibility, as Netflix has been carving out a really nice niche for themselves with how many nominees they have already for their productions.
I honestly don't know how the whole thing could have worked as a film, unless it was significantly edited. But I'm also assuming that the "film" version isn't 6+ hours long.

That said, yeah, the fact that it's a documentary probably helps it skirt by.

The Handmaiden wasn't South Korea's selection for the Academy, it was The Age of Shadows which was selected over it.
Yeah, I was just going to say. Blame Korea for this one. lol

Alright, guys. Probably going to see Moonlight because of the nomination. What should I expect? Last movie I saw was La La Land and that was fantastic
It's the very definition of a slice of life film (well, in this case, 3 distinct slices).

You think so? Not many extraordinary movies this year for me. I don't feel like anything nominated will be remembered as great in ten years. Just a bunch of solid films you watch once and quickly forget about this time next year.

I haven't seen Moonlight yet tho. I'm watching that tonight.

Silence, Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight, Everybody Wants Some, Handmaiden, OJ documentary gonna stick with me for years

Then you have so many other good movies below that too which were great. Considerably better than the last few years of nominees easily aside from Mad Max

Sean C

I honestly don't know how the whole thing could have worked as a film, unless it was significantly edited. But I'm also assuming that the "film" version isn't 6+ hours long.
No, it was that long.

There have been really long films like that produced, particularly documentaries (e.g., Shoah).

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Who would you replace out of the lead actress?
Isabelle Huppert
Ruth Negga
Natalie Portman
Emma Stone
Meryl Streep

Probably Stone as first choice, but any of them.
Adams deserved the gold, not a nom for how she carried Arrival.

Nategc20

Banned
Gibson will win best director. That's why Martin got snubbed so it won't be too much competition for the geezers.

Every other director, especially la la land's, will get another bite at a nom.

Ninjimbo

Silence, Manchester by the Sea, Moonlight, Everybody Wants Some, Handmaiden, OJ documentary gonna stick with me for years

Then you have so many other good movies below that too which were great. Considerably better than the last few years of nominees easily aside from Mad Max
Handmaiden is the only one I can see a case for in your list. I loved that one. But was it even nominated for anything? I didn't see it on the list.

Silence I feel is on the same level as Arrival. Movies that dare to be great and almost achieve it but something about them left me cold at the end. Well, in Silence's case I felt mostly empty.

daffy

Banned
Like what?
I thought everything came together well, and the way it incorporates film/musical history in a modern setting was well done. Not to take away from anything that Moonlight did, which i thought did everything well except the ending.
It dropped quite a bit for me after a second viewing. Outside the beginning and ending being rather exceptional, it's an otherwise pretty average film that didn't hold up after the spectacle of a first watch.
I'll be watching it again before the awards. I'll also watch Moonlight again most likely. My opinion might change on them. The middle back half of La La Land was a little formulaic thinking back on it.

duckroll

I feel like Silence deserved more recognition. Especially over something like Arrival which was incredibly mediocre.

How is Arrival any different from the couple of token populist noms every year though? This year it's Arrival and La La Land, but every year there are films like that, sometimes they even win. The Academy need these nominations to get viewers to care because if it's all "art" films which most people haven't seen, no one will watch the awards!

TheFlow

Banned
I thought everything came together well, and the way it incorporates film/musical history in a modern setting was well done. Not to take away from anything that Moonlight did, which i thought did everything well except the ending.

I'll be watching it again before the awards. I'll also watch Moonlight again most likely. My opinion might change on them. The middle back half of La La Land was a little formulaic thinking back on it.
I Felt the plot, musical numbers, and ending kept la la land from being a great movie like Manchester or moonlight.

singing and music is my guilty pleasure and I felt "sing street" was the movie when it came to that.

La la lands cast and visuals is what kept my attention

Chase17

Does this mean Gosling and Stone are performing at the oscars? Maybe they'll have a fill in for those songs.

At least I think that the singer from the work usually does the song at the oscars.

I defy anyone to hold up another movie that can even come close to matching the ending of la la land*. I doubt anything recent (and not done by Chazelle) finishes with such a flourish. It leaves stronger than it starts. And it starts strong.

Damn, I really wish I felt what some people do regarding the ending of La La Land, but I just don't. I liked the movie overall, but the ending didn't have any more oomph to it for me than any of the other great films this year. A Bigger Splash, The Lobster, and even Moonlight had equally memorable endings for me even if they didn't have dance numbers at the end of their respective films. And compared to the ending of Whiplash, LLL's is one I appreciate on a narrative level but one that didn't sweep me up in a whirlwind of emotion.

I mean, I'm happy for Chazalle, but where the fuck were all these Academy voters when he did Whiplash, which I think hits on the theme of how greatness requires deep compromise even harder than La La Land. But I guess because that was about music and didn't feature saccharine musical numbers a lot of the Academy voters didn't react that strongly to it.

TheFlow

Banned
Damn, I really wish I felt what some people do regarding the ending of La La Land, but I just don't. I liked the movie overall, but the ending didn't have any more oomph to it for me than any of the other great films this year. A Bigger Splash, The Lobster, and even Moonlight had equally memorable endings for me even if they didn't have dance numbers at the end of their respective films. And compared to the ending of Whiplash, LLL's is one I appreciate on a narrative level but one that didn't sweep me up in a whirlwind of emotion.

I mean, I'm happy for Chazalle, but where the fuck were all these Academy voters when he did Whiplash, which I think hits on the theme of how greatness requires deep compromise even harder than La La Land. But I guess because that was about music and didn't feature saccharine musical numbers a lot of the Academy voters didn't react that strongly to it.
Your last paragraph is so true it hurts.

Whiplash needed more love. Still chazelles best movie

I think it's time the Oscars took on the same approach with the Emmy's and increased the acting categories to 6 nominees because the choices for those were just that good this year.

kewlmyc

Funimation should have waited until the next Oscars to try and push "Your Name" for Oscar nominations. No one knew what the hell it was and it only showed in like 3 theaters in the US this year.

I know Mel Gibson is a complete asshole, but he's one of my favorite actors/directors and I hope he moved past the issues he had. So happy to see his film get the nod.

I really think Moonlight got this though. I'm yet to see any of the nominees except Hell or High Water and that was a FUCKING FANTASTIC movie, all caps and shit it was really tremendous.

Nice that we don't have a Revenant this year, a movie that I was so sure would win and one that I absolutely disliked. Remember when Leo stole his oscar from a child? I do. Fuck The Revenant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom