• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Oscar Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is kind of weird how Damian Chazelle went from up-and-coming talent with Whiplash to rigid example of the old boys network re-establishing dominance through mediocrity on La La Land.

Like, it wasn't that long ago everyone really liked this kid for being an audacious filmmaker.

Now he's seen as the safe face of Hollywood complacency.

Via his melancholy musical about young people in modern day Los Angeles.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Go lala land, Zootopia, and Casey!

To the post above, lol yeah la la land was total mediocrity and safe. Gimme a break.

Meowster

Lol at my great aunt going on a rant on FB about how we should be hosting Oscars for people in the military and not celebrate "pretentious snobs" like Meryl Streep. Someone is salty.

Sanjuro

Lol at my great aunt going on a rant on FB about how we should be hosting Oscars for people in the military and not celebrate "pretentious snobs" like Meryl Streep. Someone is salty.

Nothing screams Academy Award tailored audience like active military personnel.

h1nch

OJ: Made in America is one of the best things I've ever seen. Normally I'm not a huge fan of that type of bend-the-rules/game the system type approach, but this docu deserves all the recognition in the world.

Ridley327

It is kind of weird how Damian Chazelle went from up-and-coming talent with Whiplash to rigid example of the old boys network re-establishing dominance through mediocrity on La La Land.

Like, it wasn't that long ago everyone really liked this kid for being an audacious filmmaker.

Now he's seen as the safe face of Hollywood complacency.

Via his melancholy musical about young people in modern day Los Angeles.

I wonder just how low the percentage of voters is for ones that actually have seen the Jacques Demy films it draws so much from.

OJ: Made in America is one of the best things I've ever seen. Normally I'm not a huge fan of that type of bend-the-rules/game the system type approach, but this docu deserves all the recognition in the world.

I think its the best thing I watched in 2016!

HeelPower

I don't mind the movie. It have Michael Crichton-level concept (in order words, not even a high concept, but a mid-tier concept.) But after watching this director's previous movie, Enemy, my opinion of The Arrival has lower. This guy only does non-linear timelines?

I only said "likely" in case Arrival gets another push in theaters. If not, Hidden Figures beats it without breaking a sweat.

The concept in Arrival isnt even about timelines or time.

Its about language shaping perception and human cognition to a very drastic extent.

JaseMath

I want to Kubo take animated feature. I feel like it wholeheartedly deserves it, but I know it'll be Zootopia because of the current political climate.

Kthulhu

I want to Kubo take animated feature. I feel like it wholeheartedly deserves it, but I know it'll be Zootopia because of the current political climate.

Also because the academy only likes Pixar. If you're anyone else or Japanese your movie gets nothing.

Kubo was much, much better than Zootopia, but since the academy seemingly doesn't watch the animated movies, the highest rated Disney movie will win by default again.

Kthulhu

Kubo was much, much better than Zootopia, but since the academy seemingly doesn't watch the animated movies, the highest rated Disney movie will win by default again.

Last year there was a guy who complained about the two "Chinese" animated shorts that got nominated. One was Japanese and one was French.

kswiston

La La Land is not the best movie of the year.

Uncharted 4 and Overwatch probably aren't the best games of the year, but that's what a lot of people voting for Game of the Year awards are feeling right now.

It is interesting to watch how film perception (or video game perception, novel perception, etc) changes over time.

Also because the academy only likes Pixar. If you're anyone else or Japanese your movie gets nothing.

Even with your statement you're giving the Academy too much credit when it comes to the animated category, with members voting movies based on things like "I hate this kiddie crap but I took my daughter to see X so I'm voting for X".

Kthulhu

Even with your statement you're giving the Academy too much credit when it comes to the animated category, with members voting movies based on things like "I hate this kiddie crap but I took my daughter to see X so I'm voting for X".

I know it's all essentially a circle jerk, but they could at least pretend to care about animation. It's just as legitimate as any other type of film.

You should be thumbs upping the animated category. That's a category that used to nominate stuff like Surf's Up and Bolt. Now the big blockbuster animated titles typically take up 1-2 slots, and some smaller stuff is recognized.

Of course they will still give the prize to Disney in the end.
Well yeah, I'll thumb up the selection, but I know who the winner is already, so that it's still not doing much for me.
I know people like shit on the Best Animated Film category as the "Disney Award", but Zootopia absolutely deserves it. It's the most timely, socially relevant animated film in years. Any other year I would give it to Kubo as well, but I would argue Zootopia was a far more important film than Kubo.

2016 was a year that saw nationalism and xenophobia on the rise, the President of the United States advocating creating a Muslim registry, and mass protests for equal rights of black americans and women. So a movie that teaches kids about tolerance and acceptance of everyone even if they look different from you, and such a well-executed one at that like Zootopia, deserves every goddamn award people can throw at it as far as I'm concerned.
If we're playing the importance game, Moana is a timely film as well. Kubo is my favorite, but The Red Turtle and Ma vie de Courgette are beautiful and deserving films as well considering that both of those are extraordinarily thoughtful and moving films.

Sean C

Not true. Multiple animated films got Best Picture nominations recently.

kswiston

I think he means the people voting for the winners (the entire academy). I'm pretty sure the people specifically voting for the nominees are involved in the animation industry.

Only three animated films have been nominated for Best Picture (Disney's Beauty and the Beast, (1991); and Disney-Pixar's Up (2009) and Toy Story 3 (2010) were nominated after the Academy expanded the number of nominees) and none have won.

I need to get around to seeing La La Land, but I just can't muster any excitement for it whatsoever. It's weird; I like Gosling, Stone, and Chazelle. I like musicals. But this just seems like a hard pass for me.

Fully expect it to sweep the Oscars, too. As has been mentioned, Hollywood just LOVES movies about show business (Hollywood).

Speevy

Banned
Amy Adams' perf performance in Arrival >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Emma Stone's in La La Land, what is wrong wit them?

Speevy

Banned
Who would you replace out of the lead actress?
Isabelle Huppert
Ruth Negga
Natalie Portman
Emma Stone
Meryl Streep

Meryl Streep, who is not nearly as strong in I guess...Florence Foster Jenkins or Emma Stone, who basically plays Emma Stone in everything but with singing.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Oscar worthy
a7a.gif

So they did improve the Director's Cut!

HeelPower

Who would you replace out of the lead actress?
Isabelle Huppert
Ruth Negga
Natalie Portman
Emma Stone
Meryl Streep

Certainly Emma Stone.

If she wins its gonna be like Sandra Bullock in Blinside or J Lawrence in Silver linings playbook, one of the weakest performances to ever win or be nominated.

Natalie Portman put in a lot of effort ,but I could still replace her with Amy Adams.

Zimbardo

seems Mel Gibson is back in the good graces of Hollywood once again (for the most part anyway).

i guess it's hard to keep a quality talent (and money maker) such as himself down for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom