• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

The woman who won multiple awards for playing a survivor of sexual assault might not be thrilled with repeatedly having to hand awards to someone who sexually harassed employees and coworkers in the very same field she works in.

I think it's important to read the summary of that situation regarding the accusations. I think assuming guilt in this instance is extremely unfair.

Doran902

Hell or High Water was my fav movie last year but i knew that had no chance.

Casey was great in Manchester but Manchester as a whole was just super depressing and had basically nothing happen for most of the movie and barely any resolution.

Amy Adams tho.....

vXXu22o.jpg

I mean DAM. They need to fire whoever decided not to put her up for best actress.

stupei

I think it's important to read the summary of that situation regarding the accusations. I think assuming guilt in this instance is extremely unfair.

I'm not sure why you'd assume I haven't read them.

Believe it or not, there's a reason women working in entertainment are very inclined to believe allegations of male coworkers behaving like predatory creeps and getting away with it. I think assuming deception from his accusers -- one of whom was already a woman working in one of the most sexist fields in all of filmmaking for sixteen years -- is extremely unfair, so there we go.

Believe it or not, there's a reason women working in entertainment are very inclined to believe allegations of male coworkers behaving like predatory creeps and getting away with it. I think assuming deception from his accusers -- one of whom was already a woman working in one of the most sexist fields in all of filmmaking for sixteen years -- is extremely unfair, so there we go.

So we should assume guilt because of the environment people work or live in?

KHarvey16

I'm not sure why you'd assume I haven't read them.

I didn't claim they lied, but you did claim he sexually assaulted two women. We don't know who is lying and there are coworkers on both sides of the allegations. All we know are the facts and statements that were laid out before all sides agreed to a settlement and a gag order.

TheFlow

Banned
Just "good" films don't deserve Best Picture Oscar. Even by musical or Broadway standards, it is tepid. The singing and songs are run-of-the-mill with autotune covering up mediocre singing ability. The relationship between the main couple is hammy and undercooked. The pacing is inconsistent and I find the "dreams" of the main characters to be absolutely stupid and unrelatable. It's not remarkable in the least compared to better musicals. Hell, it's not even a better musical nor does it have a better soundtrack than Moana. Opinions, though.

this so much, and sing street is also a better movie than la la land.

Honestly I think after the dust has settled, you can look at the films offered this year, and see they were objectively not that good. It was poor year for Oscar film.

Just to compare last year was: Spotlight, The Big Short, Brooklyn, Bridge of Spies, Mad Max, Room, The Revenant, The Martian.

This year was: Manchester by the Sea, La La Land, Moonlight, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water, Arrival, Lion, Hidden Figures.

Objectively? Lol.

But no, I think it has been a way better year.

stupei

So we should assume guilt because of the environment people work or live in?

I didn't claim they lied, but you did claim he sexually assaulted two women. We don't know who is lying and there are coworkers on both sides of the allegations. All we know are the facts and statements that were laid out before all sides agreed to a settlement and a gag order.

I didn't say he sexually assaulted two women, actually, I explicitly said harassed. And since I'm not responsible for hearing his case in court, I'm free to draw my own conclusions based on my own experience working in entertainment and my knowledge of the case. Every single woman working in the business has heard and put up with comments that would not fly in most work places. They know and accept this as par for the course, the kind of thing you have to put up with to continue being employed.

For any woman with years of experience working in those male dominated fields to reach the point that she would consider a lawsuit necessary suggests rather extreme conduct.

LionPride

Banned
Honestly I think after the dust has settled, you can look at the films offered this year, and see they were objectively not that good. It was poor year for Oscar film.

Just to compare last year was: Spotlight, The Big Short, Brooklyn, Bridge of Spies, Mad Max, Room, The Revenant, The Martian.

This year was: Manchester by the Sea, La La Land, Moonlight, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water, Arrival, Lion, Hidden Figures.

I bolded all the great movies from both years, I like this year a bit more

I really can't find a distinction between the two years. I saw more of last years' movies, but I think Moonlight is the best in two years. Room was pretty fantastic, too.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Objectively? Lol.

But no, I think it has been a way better year.
Objectively lol no it's subjective as hell.
I bolded all the great movies from both years, I like this year a bit more
I just was not a fan this year, and I really wanted to be. I still need to see La La Land.

I think she played a heavy role in Arrival's success. It's a shame they completely ignored her.
I mean maybe, but your comment looked like you said it because of her looks lol

stupei

I just want to remind everyone that Carol was the best film of 2015 since it's not showing up in these direct comparisons.

For some reason.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I just want to remind everyone that Carol was the best film of 2015 since it's not showing up in these direct comparisons.

For some reason.
Oh I just went off Best Picture nominations. I still need to watch Carol, but it just really didn't look interesting to me.

Personally I think Zootopia should have been Best Picture. Probably the most original film I have seen all (of) year.

Kusagari

Would have been hilarious if they had given them the backup envelope for Casey instead.

Imagine Damon being up there for Manchester and then it being revealed it didn't win.

stupei

Oh I just went off Best Picture nominations. I still need to watch Carol, but it just really didn't look interesting to me.

Personally I think Zootopia should have been Best Picture. Probably the most original film I have seen all (of) year.

That wasn't intended as a dig at you, to be clear. I'm just still bitter that it wasn't nominated.

Carol is a really quiet movie with absolutely gorgeous cinematography. In somewhat the same way Moonlight is an examination of toxic masculinity and performed manhood, Carol is about expectations of purity and obedience in female behavior. If you don't like one, there's a chance you won't enjoy the other.

He really was. Also, Colin Farrell in The Lobster was excellent too, but would never stand a chance.

Bummer Farrell wasn't even nominated. He was outstanding, though it was a competitive year.

Bummer Farrell wasn't even nominated. He was outstanding, though it was a competitive year.

He was flat out stupendous in that movie, but I'm even saltier the movie got pretty much 0 love at all. In a perfect world it should be nominated for Best Picture and if that's not being too greedy it should probably win it as well. It's an absolute masterpiece in every level. I sometimes see a few discussions about games that only work as games, like stuff that takes advantages of the medium to work. The Lobster is a clear movie that would never work as anything else but a movie. It's a grandiose and very underrated film.

That wasn't intended as a dig at you, to be clear. I'm just still bitter that it wasn't nominated.

Carol is a really quiet movie with absolutely gorgeous cinematography. In somewhat the same way Moonlight is an examination of toxic masculinity and performed manhood, Carol is about expectations of purity and obedience in female behavior. If you don't like one, there's a chance you won't enjoy the other.

I think you summarized exactly why this movie resonated with me despite me being a straight white middle-class man with an aversion to drug culture. I related so, so much with middle-act Chiron even if our circumstances were extremely different.

And yeah, Farrell's performance was great, but they don't usually give out Oscars for that kind of understatement and subtle comic timing. Unfortunately.

KHarvey16

I didn't say he sexually assaulted two women, actually, I explicitly said harassed. And since I'm not responsible for hearing his case in court, I'm free to draw my own conclusions based on my own experience working in entertainment and my knowledge of the case. Every single woman working in the business has heard and put up with comments that would not fly in most work places. They know and accept this as par for the course, the kind of thing you have to put up with to continue being employed.

For any woman with years of experience working in those male dominated fields to reach the point that she would consider a lawsuit necessary suggests rather extreme conduct.

Just as a hypothetical for purposes of this specific point, let's assume he is innocent. What should he do in that case to cause you to change your conclusion?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-samuel-l-jackson-oscars-viola-denzel-i-am-not-your-negro-2017-story.html

Samuel L. Jackson, who's been a member of the academy since earning his first Oscar nomination for ‘Pulp Fiction' in 1995, sees all the nominated movies, although he didn't quite make it through all of this year's nominees. ”The movie everybody's so hyped on, I only made it through 20 minutes. I mean, I like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers," he quipped with a sly smile, never once uttering the words ”La La" or ”Land."

lol, well there is one voter that probably didn't vote for La La Land.

Burbeting

Banned
Just saw Manchester by the Sea today. Casey Affleck was extremely good in that movie, so no wonder that he won the best actor prize. Big shame about him being most likely a prick, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom