• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squalor

Didn't watch the show last night but this caught my attention while googling through Oscar news.

Buzzfeed: Brie Larson Refused To Applaud Casey Affleck When He Won His Oscar
What's really disgusting is that there were so many GAFfers in here downplaying the multiple sexual assault allegations against him.
The best actress category was the most competitive one this year (hence the studio putting Viola in supporting to solidify her chances).

For months, Natalie, Huppert and Stone have been front runners. I doubt Viola would have won in this category. Keep in mind the only black actress to ever win this was Hally Berry..
And she had to show ass and tits.

Aklamarth

Bronx-Man said:
Considering how many dipshits were going "Can't wait for the tears when Mel wins!!!", this doesn't surprise me.

Rape is not in the same league as saying shit about jews. Afleck and Polanski did WORSE SHIT compared to Mel Gibson, they aren't in the same league.

jediyoshi

boring white people singing about their problems in LA with autotune:
"I can't open my jazz club!"
"Nobody chooses me in my auditions! Guess I have to go back to school or go back to live with mom and dad!"

boohoo.

black women put people into space.

And I'm glad Moonlight got best picture.

The LLL hype train is ridiculous.

Is this the text version of verbal diarrhea.

The Lamp

The One and Done™;231116845 said:
Why are you making a straw man argument? My comment is self contained. I'm not alluding at all that I think LLL should have one. I'm commenting on the feast or famine mentality that has occurred regarding the film. Calling LLL a bad movie is incorrect. Period. Calling ML a bad movie or overrated is incorrect as well.

People turn these things into an emotionally driven flame session and it's not necessary. Most of us here enjoy multiple releases. That's ok.

I'm criticizing the movie because it doesn't deserve Best Picture IMO. That's not a flame session.

Nepenthe

In regards to the whole row between Moonlight and La La Land, I think it'd be more accurate to say that the relief over Moonlight winning and subsequent Schadenfreude over the mix-up has less to do with the election and more to do with the fact that black artists and their work have gotten consistently snubbed at awards shows like the Oscars regardless of quality, such to the point where although Moonlight deserved it people didn't think it was a possibility because La La Land is such a typical "white Hollywood" movie. Perhaps Trump winning exacerbates the feelings of black people, but the arts haven't ever been colorblind anyway. Oscars So White was a thing before we ever entertained the possibility of Trump being in the hot seat.

I made the mistake of lying down last night...#old

Moonlight wouldn't have been my choice of Best Picture, but I do like the categories that La La Land and Manchester won outside of that, so it felt like everything balanced out well IMO.

yeah i feel like a lot of the major category wins were warranted this year except for emma stone for actress.

i would have had no problems with manchester, moonlight or la la land winning best picture either. although I think silence was snubbed big time. some critics seemed to overlook it too though I think it's gonna be retroactively praised as a masterpiece in a few years I bet.

Parch

Probably already been discussed to death but I'm not going to read this entire thread.

I wonder why that accounting firm didn't immediate enter the stage when the wrong announcement was made. They wait until the LaLa is up there making speeches before doing something about it? Really unprofessional.

Apparently there were 2 sets of envelopes, one on each side of the stage depending on where the presenters entered, and they gave Beatty the 2nd best actress envelope. He was obviously confused and Dunaway saw LaLa and blurted it out, but I can't blame them. They obviously don't expect to be given the wrong envelope.
I wonder if they would ever consider suing that accounting firm. They're taking a lot of heat for this and it's a major embarrassment for them in front of millions of viewers worldwide. The accounting firm has taken full responsibility for this major fuck up, and they screwed this up on multiple levels.

I think it's hilarious. Absolutely classic. Add it to the lengthy list of LOL@America.

KHarvey16

What's really disgusting is that there were so many GAFfers in here downplaying the multiple sexual assault allegations against him.

No one is really downplaying it becuase they are, at this point anyway, accusations from two women from the same time period that led to suits and counter suits. They settled them to everyone's satisfaction and we have no idea if the accusations were reasonable or truthful and we won't have the opportunity as every party is barred from commenting.

Wikipedia has a good summary:

In 2010, Affleck was sued by two former co-workers. I'm Still Here's producer, Amanda White, sued Affleck for $2 million. She detailed numerous "uninvited and unwelcome sexual advances" in the workplace, alleging that Affleck had allowed Spacehog guitarist Antony Langdon to expose himself in her presence, spoke "inappropriately" about her advancing age and fertility, discussed his "sexual exploits", referred to women as "cows", invaded her "personal space" by locking her out of her hotel room while entertaining another woman, attempted to "manipulate" her into staying with him in a hotel room and "violently" grabbed her by the arm when she refused. The film's cinematographer, Magdalena Gorka, sued Affleck for $2.25 million. Gorka alleged that she had been subjected to "routine instances" of sexual harassment by crew members including Langdon, "within the presence and with the active encouragement of Affleck." While staying in Phoenix's apartment during filming, Phoenix offered Gorka the private use of his bedroom. Affleck allegedly joined Gorka in bed while she slept, wearing only "his underwear and a t-shirt ... He had his arm around her, was caressing her back, his face was within inches of hers and his breath reeked of alcohol."

In his response to White's lawsuit, Affleck alleged that her lawyer had previously engaged in "extortionate tactics" by refusing to hand over "key production documents" and trying to block the release of the film, in an effort to obtain more compensation for her work than she was "legally entitled to." Affleck also submitted a number of email exchanges with White. In response to the women's complaints, the film's associate producer Nicole Acacio and an unnamed female editor both defended Affleck's conduct on set. Affleck's lawyer described both claims as "total fiction." The lawsuits were later mediated and settled out of court. Both women received credit for their work on the project, though no details of any financial settlement were released.

Blader

Harassment, not assault. Not to excuse or downplay sexual harassment in any way, but it's very plainly not the same thing as rape.

In any event, both cases were settled out of court and nobody else has any idea what those settlements even entailed. So what more is there to say on it?

Nameless

Nocturnal Animals was the biggest snub of this season. What a god damn masterpiece that was.

Agreed. The lack of recognition for Amy Adams, Nocturnal Animals, and The Handmaiden had me more than a little salty going in. Moonlight pulling the okee-doke only makes me fill a little better.

Chumley

Banned
No one is really downplaying it becuase they are, at this point anyway, accusations from two women from the same time period that led to suits and counter suits. They settled them to everyone's satisfaction and we have no idea if the accusations were reasonable or truthful and we won't have the opportunity as every party is barred from commenting.

Wikipedia has a good summary:

This is my opinion on it too. And as as far as the allegations themselves, some people here were trying to equate them with Nate Parker's case, which to me was just kind of baffling. Sexual harassment is not the same thing as rape.

yeah i feel like a lot of the major category wins were warranted this year except for emma stone for actress.

i would have had no problems with manchester, moonlight or la la land winning best picture either. although I think silence was snubbed big time. some critics seemed to overlook it too though I think it's gonna be retroactively praised as a masterpiece in a few years I bet.

Kind of surprised about how cool the reception has been for Silence. I thought the cinematography was amazing but Garfield's accent pretty much ruined that movie for me lol

Icolin

Banned

Silence is incredible. Those torture scenes on the rocks with the ocean waves were horrific. Cinematography is amazing, and Yōsuke Kubozuka's performance was one of the best.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Agreed. The lack of recognition for Amy Adams, Nocturnal Animals, and The Handmaiden had me more than a little salty going in. Moonlight pulling the okee-doke only makes me fill a little better.
At least Handmaiden was not their fault. Gotta blame Korea for that one.

lol damn I just saw the Denzel and Brie Larson clips. lol I feel bad. I haven't seen fences or manchester.. Is Casey Affleck really that bad and didn't deserve the win?

Not downplaying, but putting into perspective and not rushing to condemn him because we have no concrete way of knowing 100% what happened there. Whatever accusations he faced were settled 7 years ago and he was free to do his job, which he did better than basically everyone else this year and was rightfully awarded for doing so.

faridmon

lol damn I just saw the Denzel and Brie Larson clips. lol I feel bad. I haven't seen fences or manchester.. Is Casey Affleck really that bad and didn't deserve the win?

I haven't watched Manchester By the Sea, but a friend of mine (who I trust his opinion on many things) says that his acting was just a Casey acting.Nothing more, nothing less.

I like Casey so I don't mind him winning, but I suppose there were stronger performances.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Honestly I think after the dust has settled, you can look at the films offered this year, and see they were objectively not that good. It was poor year for Oscar film.

Just to compare last year was: Spotlight, The Big Short, Brooklyn, Bridge of Spies, Mad Max, Room, The Revenant, The Martian.

This year was: Manchester by the Sea, La La Land, Moonlight, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water, Arrival, Lion, Hidden Figures.

Ainsz

Found Moonlight and Manchester By The Sea both similarly meh films. Nicely made but both come off as pretentious and aren't worth nearly as much as people are making them out to be.

Agreed on Nocturnal Animals being overlooked. That was a truly great film that deserves some recognition.

Honestly I think after the dust has settled, you can look at the films offered this year, and see they were objectively not that good. It was poor year for Oscar film.

Just to compare last year was: Spotlight, The Big Short, Brooklyn, Bridge of Spies, Mad Max, Room, The Revenant, The Martian.

This year was: Manchester by the Sea, La La Land, Moonlight, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water, Arrival, Lion, Hidden Figures.
This years list is WAAAAAAAAAY stronger. I didn't love Hidden Figures or Fences, but they are better than shit like Bridge of Spied or Brooklyn. And the top movies (besides Mad Max) were all better this year.

Strax

My Twitter feed seems to think Brie didn't clap for Casey because of the allegations that have already been settled.

Silence is incredible. Those torture scenes on the rocks with the ocean waves were horrific. Cinematography is amazing, and Yōsuke Kubozuka's performance was one of the best.
I want to watch Silence so much, I got so angry when I found out its release was delayed for a month here. Is it thematically similar with The Last Temptation of Christ? It's my favorite Scorsese movie and I've read Silence was a passion project for him just like it.

Zoe

yup, I thought it was very weird that she was chosen to give out this award, considering Affleck was amongst the nominees. I can't believe this also happened at the Golden Globes.

The previous year's actor/actress traditionally gives the award to the next year's actress/actor.

yup, I thought it was very weird that she was chosen to give out this award, considering Affleck was amongst the nominees. I can't believe this also happened at the Golden Globes.

It's tradition more than anything that the previous Best Actress gives to the new Best Actor. It was just awkward as fuck this year. And since people expected Denzel I'm not sure any thought came in allowing this.

Isn't that standard for the Oscars? Brie Larson won the Oscar for Best Actress in 2016, so she gives out the Best Actor award in 2017. I feel like this is how it's generally done. Leo gave Emma Stone the Best Actress award after winning Best Actor in 2016 too.

Wanderer5

Isn't that standard for the Oscars? Brie Larson won the Oscar for Best Actress in 2016, so she gives out the Best Actor award in 2017. I feel like this is how it's generally done. Leo gave Emma Stone the Best Actress award after winning Best Actor in 2016 too.

Yeah this does look like it is a tradition, so not really weird then.

pestul

Hmm, I felt that 2016's top films were at least as good if not better. I think from top to bottom of the 9 nominees, the choices are all better than the weaker links from 2015.

stupei

She has said nothing. It's a bunch of Twitter diviners' portending, and Buzzfeed is going to Buzzfeed.

People have pointed out Brie's reaction plenty of times. She's handed him awards all season without even a hint of a smile, but when she gave Denzel his win at the SAG awards she was grinning from ear to ear. It doesn't seem entirely coincidental.

The woman who won multiple awards for playing a survivor of sexual assault might not be thrilled with repeatedly having to hand awards to someone who sexually harassed employees and coworkers in the very same field she works in.

Chumley

Banned

Silence, Handmaiden, Moonlight, and Manchester were all phenomenal and stack up there with anything from last year besides The Revenant imo. But yes 2015 had more and it's very best films like Rev and Mad Max were straight up classics.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
This years list is WAAAAAAAAAY stronger. I didn't love Hidden Figures or Fences, but they are better than shit like Bridge of Spied or Brooklyn. And the top movies (besides Mad Max) were all better this year.
I disagree completely, I just really didn't like any of this years movies (still haven't seen Lion, La La Land, or Hidden Figures).

Hmm, I felt that 2016's top films were at least as good if not better. I think from top to bottom of the 9 nominees, the choices are all better than the weaker links from 2015.
I disagree. Most of 2016 films were pretty boring compared to 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom