• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 89th Academy Awards |OT| La La Land up 3-1, they got this

Status
Not open for further replies.

pestul

Just thinking of some of the other films that could have been there by accident.. god could you even imagine how Mel Gibson would have reacted to that if Hacksaw Ridge had suffered the same fate?

Deadpool winning would have been a funny segment.

Moonlight is an absolute lock. Its the most "Oscary" movie in a few years.

areyounotentertained.jpg

SeanC

Kimmel was great, glad the Damon feud is stronger than ever. He had some great lines in his opening and to have real people from a tour bus come in and stay "on" with them was brilliant and shows the guy has chops. Hope he does it again.

All the winners were deserved. I don't get up in arms on awards because most won't remember who won what down the road, they just remember great movies. There are more great movies that didn't win shit out there than one a statue.

That being said, the anti-La La Land folk are a weird bunch. You'd think the movie murdered their families. Am I weird for not getting invested in movie award wins? Last night at a party I kept hearing how it was "overrated" (not a word that means or says anything about your opinion BTW) and how much people didn't want it to win more than what movie they actually wanted to see win. If anything, this will get people to go see Moonlight finally but it's annoying nobody went out to really see it in the first place and just shit on other movies instead.

The venom and vitriol thrown at LLL is so unwarranted. As someone who critiques film, LLL is an objectively good film. Now it may not be your preference but to call it bad is absurd.

I came into the thread to read the reactions to last night. We were hosting a party and the reaction (both before and after the twist) were quite a thing.

I am DAMNED HAPPY that Moonlight won. Rarely does the movie I think is the best actually win, especially when it's a hard sell like the premise of Moonlight. But damn if it isn't the real deal.

Anybody notice how A24 makes a ton of great movies? They really seem to have recaptured the independent movie spirit that the Weinsteins had but lost over time.

Poor La La Land guys, they're a class act for how they handled it. Moonlight guys, too. Must suck to have the media portray you as rivals when you are most likely colleagues or fans of one another. I liked La La Land quite a bit, I don't see a need to run it down in favor of Moonlight, which was just on another level.

And also, we can now all say "Oscar winning film Suicide Squad."

"Drive it Like You Stole it" should have gotten it

It would never have won, but I wish it were nominated. Did Sing Street's studio not push it at all?

The Lamp

The One and Done™;231114627 said:
The venom and vitriol thrown at LLL is so unwarranted. As someone who critiques film, LLL is an objectively good film. Now it may not be your preference but to call it bad is absurd.

Just "good" films don't deserve Best Picture Oscar. Even by musical or Broadway standards, it is tepid. The singing and songs are run-of-the-mill with autotune covering up mediocre singing ability. The relationship between the main couple is hammy and undercooked. The pacing is inconsistent and I find the "dreams" of the main characters to be absolutely stupid and unrelatable. It's not remarkable in the least compared to better musicals. Hell, it's not even a better musical nor does it have a better soundtrack than Moana. Opinions, though.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Not only is this really dismissive of how complex the performance was and how differently people process and live with grief, but it also wrongly assumes that the quality of a performance is equal to how entertaining it is. Which is *still* off the mark, because for how dark and sad Manchester is, it actually is pretty entertaining and funny at times!
I wasn't saying that his acting had to be entertaining to be quality. I was saying that the movie wasn't entertaining. I think his performance was good, but mostly one note. I tend to like a variety of emotions that way I can get a good feel of his character. I guess you can make the argument that we saw that in a few portions of the film. I guess I just wasn't wow'd by his performance.

100% this and so is Moonlight. Both movies are absolutely terrific and we should be able to enjoy both without this nonsense.

Toth

I wonder how Trump and the GOP feel about a movie detailing the struggles of a gay African American winning Best Picture.

Jigolo

Unfortunately it's the way most people talk on the internet and it's is creeping into the real world. Part of the reason everything seems to be in chaos right now.

I wonder how Trump and the GOP feel about a movie detailing the struggles of a gay African American winning Best Picture.

I don't think they care.

The fact that a drug dealer is one of the most decent people in the entire movie is probably more annoying to them. If they'd ever bother to watch it, which they won't.

Valhelm

contribute something
LLL did not deserve best picture. It's a suprisingly flat film, the songs are pretty bland for the most part.

It looks fantastic, and the end is great, but the film and song that make up the brunt of it are not.

Best Actress is not deserved either, I honestly thought Emma wasn't charismatic at all thought her entire performance. The entire thing came across very staged (I mean the perfomances in LLL, not the oscars).

Anyway, drama is fun. Glad Moonlight won, it deserves it.

Not sure what issue somebody could take with La La Land's music. The themes were catchy, the orchestration was great, and it was a cool send-up to the Broadway tradition. Even if La La Land isn't your cup of tea, it's one of the most ambitious projects of the decade. Its success, especially considering the youth of its team, really needs to be commended.

Moonlight was great though. No qualms about it winning.

100% this and so is Moonlight. Both movies are absolutely terrific and we should be able to enjoy both without this nonsense.

For sure.

Maxim726X

What was your opinion of Moonlight?

Did you think it was the movie of the year?

What was your opinion of Moonlight?

Did you think it was the movie of the year?

I'm obviously not who you are quoting but I'll respond since I think most people who liked La La Land feel the same way:

I wanted La La Land to win, but that's for purely selfish reasons. I saw it on a whim and was completely charmed by it. Moonlight by all accounts deserved the Oscar though, so I'm more than fine with it. I haven't seen Moonlight yet but that's true for most of the films nominated this year. Everything I hear about it though is good to great.

It's pretty gross though to see people shit on La La Land so strongly. I feel like it picked up a strange level of anti-hype and it never stopped growing. Like, people were preemptively calling it the new "Crash". That's BS I think.

Maxim726X

The One and Done™;231116501 said:
Yes. Absolutely LOVED Moonlight. It was a masterclass and it's cinematography is phenomenal. Every shot in the movie is gorgeous and the score and editing are top notch.

It's ok to love both LLL and ML.

I didn't mean it as a bash to Moonlight... It's a film I liked but didn't love. Felt like there were some pacing issues that I couldn't get past, but it was a powerful story. I guess LLL just clicked for me.

But as you say, it does come down to a matter of preference.

Icolin

Banned
I'm obviously not who you are quoting but I'll respond since I think most people who liked La La Land feel the same way:

I wanted La La Land to win, but that's for purely selfish reasons. I saw it on a whim and was completely charmed by it. Moonlight by all accounts deserved the Oscar though, so I'm more than fine with it. I haven't seen Moonlight yet but that's true for most of the films nominated this year. Everything I hear about it though is good to great.

It's pretty gross though to see people shit on La La Land so strongly. I feel like it picked up a strange level of anti-hype and it never stopped growing. Like, people were preemptively calling it the new "Crash". That's BS I think.

Here and here. Just insane hyperbole.

Just "good" films don't deserve Best Picture Oscar. Even by musical or Broadway standards, it is tepid. The singing and songs are run-of-the-mill with autotune covering up mediocre singing ability. The relationship between the main couple is hammy and undercooked. The pacing is inconsistent and I find the "dreams" of the main characters to be absolutely stupid and unrelatable. It's not remarkable in the least compared to better musicals. Opinions, though.

Why are you making a straw man argument? My comment is self contained. I'm not alluding at all that I think LLL should have one. I'm commenting on the feast or famine mentality that has occurred regarding the film. Calling LLL a bad movie is incorrect. Period. Calling ML a bad movie or overrated is incorrect as well.

People turn these things into an emotionally driven flame session and it's not necessary. Most of us here enjoy multiple releases. That's ok.

Icolin

Banned
Kimmel was great, glad the Damon feud is stronger than ever. He had some great lines in his opening and to have real people from a tour bus come in and stay "on" with them was brilliant and shows the guy has chops. Hope he does it again.

All the winners were deserved. I don't get up in arms on awards because most won't remember who won what down the road, they just remember great movies. There are more great movies that didn't win shit out there than one a statue.

That being said, the anti-La La Land folk are a weird bunch. You'd think the movie murdered their families. Am I weird for not getting invested in movie award wins? Last night at a party I kept hearing how it was "overrated" (not a word that means or says anything about your opinion BTW) and how much people didn't want it to win more than what movie they actually wanted to see win. If anything, this will get people to go see Moonlight finally but it's annoying nobody went out to really see it in the first place and just shit on other movies instead.
And the people calling it a "Hollywood hand job" or "hollywood sucking its own dick" missed the entire point of the film.

I didn't mean it as a bash to Moonlight... It's a film I liked but didn't love. Felt like there were some pacing issues that I couldn't get past, but it was a powerful story. I guess LLL just clicked for me.

But as you say, it does come down to a matter of preference.

I see. I really loved LLL as well. ML was just more poignant to me and it resonated. I found myself thinking about it for long hours after and wanting to dissect it. Usually for me that means it hit the spot. As for LLL, it was an incredible movie and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I was humming it's soundtrack days after. It's just ML stayed with me much longer but it doesn't make LLL less of a film.

In fact, the two movies a so starkly different I can see how, based on preference, your opinion can be fluid over time.

Maxim726X

The One and Done™;231117125 said:
I see. I really loved LLL as well. ML was just more poignant to me and it resonated. I found myself thinking about it for long hours after and wanting to dissect it. Usually for me that means it hit the spot. As for LLL, it was an incredible movie and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I was humming it's soundtrack days after. It's just ML stayed with me much longer but it doesn't make LLL less of a film.

In fact, the two movies a so starkly different I can see how, based on preference, your opinion can be fluid based on several reasons.

Interesting. Maybe I should give it a second viewing... For some reason I left the film wishing there was more, but perhaps another shot will get it to click for me.

Icolin

Banned
It's funny how some people think the thread was La La Land fans calling others salty and whatever, when in reality, if you actually go back, it was predominantly people shitting on La La Land and wanting it to lose as much as possible.

It's really mind boggling how much people want to discredit something other people like and see it lose.

Blader

"I find the dreams of the main characters to be absolutely stupid" :lol

I think some of you grossly overstate the meaning of the Best Picture Oscar. It's not literally the single best film of the year, which is a completely subjective assessment. It's a popularity contest: which film did most voters like the most? That is very rarely a historic piece of filmmaking and is often a good-to-very-good film.

rekameohs

Banned
It's funny how some people think the thread was La La Land fans calling others salty and whatever, when in reality, if you actually go back, it was predominantly people shitting on La La Land and wanting it to lose as much as possible.

It's really mind boggling how much people want to discredit something other people like and see it lose.
Yeah, did those "Hollywood Hand Job" people even see it?

Opinions can be such a bitch. People really take these awards way too seriously. So what if La-La Land had won or lost, at least the actual producers were pros about the situation. Plus if you didn't like the film, you don't have to keep shitting on it. You've made your point.

I've never had a movie speak so closely to my own personal experience as Moonlight. It's funny because I was so convinced that for that reason alone there was no way it could possibly win best picture.

I did actually assume that Mahershala Ali would get the Oscar though. I thought he and Naomi Harris would. I mean drug dealer and crackhead do seem to be the kinda dysfunctional roles that scream black Oscar bait. I think Viola Davis being in the supporting actress category got Naomi screwed but should she get another nomination she'll probably be acknowledged for that stellar performance.

dave is ok

aztek is ok

I think Hillary losing and the Patriots winning really made a lot of gloating people feel silly so they are obnoxiously taking their victories where they can.

Who was really invested in La La Land winning? Most people thought it would win because Hollywood is in love with itself and thought it was good movie but not a great musical

I've never had a movie speak so closely to my own personal experience as Moonlight. It's funny because I was so convinced that for that reason alone there was no way it could possibly win best picture.

I did actually assume that Mahershala Ali would get the Oscar though. I thought he and Naomi Harris would. I mean drug dealer and crackhead do seem to be the kinda dysfunctional roles that scream black Oscar bait. I think Viola Davis being in the supporting actress category got Naomi screwed but should she get another nomination she'll probably be acknowledged for that stellar performance.

I would have been good if Naomi won as well. Viola in Fences was FUCKING AMAZING. I mean holy hell the range, the snot bubbles lol. Viola had much more screen time though so I think that helped her.

Rather than getting worked up about La La Land and Moonlight I wish people had been more outraged at Viola Davis's Supporting nom.

She was wonderful and deserved an award somewhere, but that's a lead role through and through. Michelle Williams and Naomie Harris got hosed.

Rather than getting worked up about La La Land and Moonlight I wish people had been more outraged at Viola Davis's Supporting nom.

She was wonderful and deserved an award somewhere, but that's a lead role through and through. Michelle Williams and Naomie Harris got hosed.

Yeah. I didn't quite understand why she was in the Supporting category.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm confused at why people are calling out the bald dude with the beard for being rude. He took command of the situation. After the pathetic bit from his cohort whimpering off his speech then saying we lost. He salvaged it. People were clearly thinking it was a joke at first. He made it clear it wasn't, got Moonlight off, and ended it on the best possible note by saying I'm happy to give this to my friends. All in 30 seconds.

Who the fuck gives a shit if he had to grab the card from Warren. It's Moonlight's moment. Not Lala's and Warren's ass should be sitting down.

kingocfs

The Hollywood backdrop in La La Land was just that, a backdrop. Give the actors different passions entirely and it would still be just as good, because the chemistry was great, the music was great, it looked great and had a great ending.

I'm confused at why people are calling out the bald dude with the beard for being rude. He took command of the situation. After the pathetic bit from his cohort whimpering off his speech then saying we lost. He salvaged it. People were clearly thinking it was a joke at first. He made it clear it wasn't, got Moonlight off, and ended it on the best possible note by saying I'm happy to give this to my friends. All in 30 seconds.

Who the fuck gives a shit if he had to grab the card from Warren. It's Moonlight's moment.

It was the first bald guy that decide to give a speech rather than not. The second bald guy was a boss and handled things accordingly. First Bald Guy (FBG) was in the wrong for extending the charade. SBG took charge and did the right thing. The very first guy, not bald, (NBG) didn't know so he's blameless.

Blader

Yeah. I didn't quite understand why she was in the Supporting category.

A smart marketing strategy that gave her an Oscar instead of another loss.

The One and Done™;231118557 said:
It was the first bald guy that decide to give a speech rather than not. The second bald guy was a boss and handled things accordingly. First Bald Guy (FBG) was in the wrong for extending the charade. SBG took charge and did the right thing. The very first guy, not bald, (NBG) didn't know so he's blameless.

ha, that guy probably thought he may never be on that stage again and decided to go for it anyway.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Still stunned that the best picture of last year won Best Picture, almost never happens. Didn't think it stood a chance.

The One and Done™;231118199 said:
I would have been good if Naomi won as well. Viola in Fences was FUCKING AMAZING. I mean holy hell the range, the snot bubbles lol. Viola had much more screen time though so I think that helped her.

Viola was amazing. It was hard not to cry and yell at Denzel for her in some of those moments.

It's just I think that was the female lead role in that movie. So the supporting actresses got kinda screwed cause they now have this beast to contend with.

Same thing happened last year with Alicia Vikander. I wish the academy would stop moving fools around the categories in order to do shit like that, do it like the Globes and award for the movie genre. It's less idiotic then calling supporting actress the only fucking actress in the cast.

rekameohs

Banned
Yeah, I mean, I loved La La Land and all. But the Best Actress in a Leading Role award was definitely Viola's this year. She was incredible, and the Academy made it hurt by putting her in Supporting.

Yup award category fraud was very real in that category. The funny thing is she still probably would have been the favorite in the best actress category as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom