• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 BAFTA Awards Winners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainy

Banned
Winners are underlined.

Best Film
Arrival
I, Daniel Blake
La La Land
Manchester By The Sea
Moonlight

Best Actress
Amy Adams - Arrival
Emily Blunt - Girl On The Train
Emma Stona - La La Land
Natalie Portman - Jackie
Meryl Streep - Florence Foster Jenkins

Best Actor
Casey Affleck - Manchester By The Sea
Andrew Garfield - Hacksaw Ridge
Ryan Gosling - La La Land
Jake Gyllenhaal - Nocturnal Animals
Viggo Mortensen - Captain Fantastic

Best Director
Damien Chazelle - La La Land
Denis Villeneuve - Arrival
Ken Loach - I, Daniel Blake
Kenneth Lonergan - Manchester By The Sea
Tom Ford - Nocturnal Animals

Best Original Screenplay
Hell or High Water - Taylor Sheridan
I, Daniel Blake - Paul Laverty
La La Land - Damien Chazelle
Manchester By The Sea - Kenneth Lonergan
Moonlight - Barry Jenkins

Best Adapted Screenplay
Arrival - Eric Heisserer
Hacksaw Ridge - Robert Schenkkan, Andrew Knight
Hidden Figures - Theodore Melfi, Allison Schroeder
Lion - Luke Davies
Nocturnal Animals - Tom Ford

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali - Moonlight
Jeff Bridges - Hell or High Water
Hugh Grant - Florence Foster Jenkins
Dev Patel - Lion
Aaron Taylor-Johnson - Nocturnal Animals

Best Supporting Actress
Viola Davis - Fences
Naomie Harris - Moonlight
Nicole Kidman - Lion
Hayley Squires - I, Daniel Blake
Michelle Williams - Manchester by the Sea

Best Animated Film
Finding Dory
Kubo And The Two Strings
Moana
Zootropolis

Best Editing
Arrival - Joe Walker
Hacksaw Ridge - John Gilbert
La La Land - Tom Cross
Manchester by the Sea - Jennifer Lame
Nocturnal Animals - Joan Sobel

Best Production Design
Doctor Strange - John Bush, Charles Wood
Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them - Stuart Craig, Anna Pinnock
Hail, Caesar! - Jess Gonchor, Nancy Haigh
La La Land - Sandy Reynolds-Wasco, David Wasco
Nocturnal Animals - Shane Valentino, Meg Everist

Best Cinematography
Bradford Young – Arrival
Giles Nuttgens – Hell or High Water
Linus Sandgren – La La Land
Greig Fraser – Lion
Seamus McGarvey – Nocturnal Animals

Best Sound
Arrival - Claude La Haye, Bernard Gariepy Strobl, Sylvain Bellemare
Deepwater Horizon - Mike Prestwood Smith, Dror Mohar, Wylie Stateman, David Wyman
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Niv Adiri, Glenn Freemantle, Simon Hayes, Andy Nelson, Ian Tapp
Hacksaw Ridge - Peter Grace, Robert Mackenzie, Kevin O'Connell, Andy Wright
La La Land - Mildred Iatrou Morgan, Ai-Ling Lee, Steve A Morrow, Andy Nelson

Best Costume Design
Allied - Joanna Johnston
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Colleen Atwood
Florence Foster Jenkins - Consolata Boyle
Jackie - Madeline Fontaine
La La Land - Mary Zophres

Best Film Not In The English Language
Dheepan - Jacques Audiard, Pascal Caucheteux
Julieta - Pedro Almodovar
Mustang - Deniz Gamze Erguven, Charles Gillibert
Son of Saul - Laszlo Nemes, Gabor Sipos
Toni Erdmann - Maren Ade, Janine Jackowski

Best Documentary
13th
The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years
The Eagle Huntress
Notes on Blindness
Weiner

Best Original Music
Arrival - Johann Johannsson
Jackie - Mica Levi
La La Land - Justin Hurwitz
Lion - Dustin O'Halloran, Hauschka
Nocturnal Animals - Abel Korzeniowski

Source: 1, 2

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Kubo won best animated?
Pleasant surprise

Auctopus

meh, Zoo(tropolis/topia/mania) is a much better movie.
Kubo coasts on its looks.

I was happy for either to win. I loved Zootropolis but...

giphy.gif

SpaceWolf

Banned
I was happy for either to win. I loved Zootropolis but...

giphy.gif

Do you feel the genuinely feel the story for Kubo was better though, or did you feel it should win more because it was a much more laborious process for the film-makers to animate? Not challenging you, genuinely curious.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Arrival won sound? Well deserved

Kimi no na ha got robbed again though (by not even being nominated)

Xun

I still need to check Kubo out.

It would be good for the industry for it to win the Oscars, but I doubt it.

Ridley327

People told me I was mad to have doubts that Zootopia might not win Best Animated at the Oscars. But not today!

BAFTA results aren't going to have much of an impact on Oscar chances, particularly because there aren't too many British industry types that are also AMPAS members.

Jigolo

Well deserved winners. Jackie's win for best costume is so cool. I'm curious why it wasn't nominated for an Oscar

Good winners, but I would have picked Mahershala Ali - Moonlight for Best Supporting Actor.

I'm guessing that not enough people had seen Moonlight, even with its noms, it hasn't been released in the U.K. yet

Patel also probably won since he's from the U.K. I haven't seen Lion yet (I've been meaning to though), so I can't comment on his performance.

Do you feel the genuinely feel the story for Kubo was better though, or did you feel it should win more because it was a much more laborious process for the film-makers to animate? Not challenging you, genuinely curious.

Zootopia did have a better story than Kubo. The latter film had a lot of convenient plot devices. It didn't make it a bad film, but it definitely detracted from what could have been a classic folk tale in the making.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
While I didn't think Manchester By The Sea was all that great, it was decent, Casey Affleck totally deserves the win.

I found kubos story to be heart touching. Just beautiful mix of visual and music. Zootopia by all means was amazing as well but kubo deserves more recognition. Zootopia made enough bank to feel appreciated. It was the best of disney movies.

I'm guessing that not enough people had seen Moonlight, even with its noms, it hasn't been released in the U.K. yet

Patel also probably won since he's from the U.K. I haven't seen Lion yet (I've been meaning to though), so I can't comment on his performance.

Yeah, I was thinking it's UK release being so far behind (it's out here next month, I think?) would hurt its chances.

Shame to see Amy Adams to home empty-handed again as well.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Not sure why La La Land is getting all the praise. It's quite like a Western Bollywood film. I guess those who don't watch them or know what they're like are amused and entertained immensely. Same went for Slumdog Millionaire. Dime a dozen films like that yet no one knows or digs them up.

Ridley327

Well deserved winners. Jackie's win for best costume is so cool. I'm curious why it wasn't nominated for an Oscar

IIRC, it didn't even make the shortlist for the category. I guess they figured that it had the whole "it's been done" thing, or something.

Speevy

Banned
If Emma Stone's exact level of performance was based in some other film, it wouldn't even get nominated for anything.

Auctopus

Well, the point of my post was that I didn't think either film deserved it more, just that I enjoyed Zootopia more. If the laborious process of making that film resulted in an animation quality of a student art film then yeah, I might have doubts but the final product is incredible.

I'm not saying give it to them because they seemingly worked harder, just like I wouldn't say give it to Zootopia because the story was better. Both were deserving of an award, hard to compare them.

as much as I loved La La Land neither performance should be nominated, I don't get why they were (especially with Stone getting in over Amy Adams for arrival, fuck that)

also no Huppert for best actress here? do they only do english language for acting at BAFTAs?

she killed it in Elle.

Moonlight got robbed.

as much as I loved La La Land neither performance should be nominated, I don't get why they were (especially with Stone getting in over Amy Adams for arrival, fuck that)

also no Huppert for best actress here? do they only do english language for acting at BAFTAs?

she killed it in Elle.

Stone was good but Adams was phenomenal in Arrival :/

Gastone

These La La Land wins, and especially Emma Stone win...i'm just gonna go back to bed and take some fucking painkillers. Why did i bother getting out of bed. Fuck this and fuck Mondays. It's pleasant to see Kubo getting some love though

SpaceWolf

Banned
Well, the point of my post was that I didn't think either film deserved it more, just that I enjoyed Zootopia more. If the laborious process of making that film resulted in an animation quality of a student art film then yeah, I might have doubts but the final product is incredible.

I'm not saying give it to them because they seemingly worked harder, just like I wouldn't say give it to Zootopia because the story was better. Both were deserving of an award, hard to compare them.

Okay, thank you. I was honestly just interested in hearing you elaborate on your viewpoint a little more, so thank you for doing that for me!

NoRéN;230189261 said:
Who doesn't like white bread?

More like white like salt judging by this thread.

No real surprises here, I expect the winners to line up pretty much identical to the Oscars with the exception of perhaps Moonlight doing a little better there. This has been a pretty straightforward awards season, people are setting themselves up for heartbreak is they're expecting any big surprises.

Nothus

Best Documentary
13th
The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years
The Eagle Huntress
Notes on Blindness
Weiner

Pleased to see 13th win best doc. It's an incredible documentary.

Timbuktu

I know Kubo winning would make neogaf happy, but I thought it was pretty average outside of the visuals and production design work, couldn't getting into the story at all. Zootopia/Zootropolis was more impressive for me.

Zaph

Apart from the odd indie like Moonlight, overall, what an utterly underwhelming year for cinema.

Chazelle could not have picked a better window to distract the industry with some masturbation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom