• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 5 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Ridley327

October 11

QrFsSxz.jpg

Combining the stately atmosphere and professionalism of your typical Hammer classic with a bit more explicit violence and certainly a far more involved and carefully considered story than, well, pretty much every late period Hammer film, Hands of the Ripper is principally concerned with the psychological condition of poor little Anna (Angharad Rees, rather sympathetic and believably disturbed) as her cruel parentage begins to manifest in horrible ways. The film makes its first good play by having Anna as the most "pure" character after a fashion, as the characters interested in her all have to deal with their own noble intentions paving a bloody road to hell, most notably with Dr. Pritchard (Eric Porter, equally sympathetic but adept at navigating the far trickier morality his character deals with) trying to explain her condition and believing he can cure her, despite his own prejudices and perhaps being more eager about using the newfound psychoanalytic technique that he may be out of his depth on. While it's not the most action packed Hammer film out there, and certainly one of the smaller body counts, the more involved story more than picks up the slack, as it invests heavily in grayer morality and mounting tragedy, leaving a rather strong impression by the time it reaches its hauntingly beautiful conclusion. The short runtime rarely feels padded by too much incident, as there's little that doesn't help serve the story by the time it concludes, and even though there aren't many additional actors that match the performances of our leads, I must say that it was nice to see such a positive portrayal of a blind person in a period piece. While bloody, there's a nice air of tastefulness about it that never wallows in the violence, and even the expected nudity doesn't feel particularly gratuitous, as it's never the focus of the scene. All in all, it's nice little treasure that feels like it doesn't get its due as a result of the lack of Cushing and/or Lee, and offers such a well-rounded and satisfying tale that one wonders what would have happened if they focused more on one-offs like this film and not try to wring out more blood from a clearly dry stone from their established formulas. A nice diamond in the rough.

Film for October 12: But can any marathon of 70s horror films be complete without diving into the non-Hammer output of its most treasured stars? We look next into another team-up between Cushing and Lee in Horror Express, with Telly Savalas in tow, that promises something a little bit different from what you might expect from its setup.

GVkATHe.jpg

06) The Editor (2014) (Oct 6)

Full disclosure; This was my most anticipated movie of the month and I haven't been this excited for a horror movie for a long time. For that reason I've been having some trouble collecting my thoughts on the film and this writeup may be a little on the ranty side, but I'm working towards a point. I promise.

For those of you who don't keep abreast with Canadian cinema, Astron-6 is a group of 5 filmmakers who were doing 80s throwback style shorts and fake trailers before 80s throwbacks were the cool thing to do. If you haven't done so, I strongly suggest checking out both versions of the 80s teen comedy parody, Cool Guys.

The Editor, their take on the giallo sub-genre and 3rd full length movie, following Father's Day and Manborg began life being shot on a DSLR. Footage from that shoot eventually led to them getting a grant. With the money from the grant they decided to start over and use crowdfunding to raise the rest of the required funding to move up to a better camera to better match the look of a hyper-stylized giallo. Stretch goals included getting a “name-actor” and resulted in them purchasing a Red camera to shoot the film and casting Paz de la Huerta (Boardwalk Empire, Nurse 3D), Laurence R. Harvey (Human Centipede 2-3) and genre favourite, Udo Kier.

I have to admit, I did have a bit of concern when I heard they were scrapping the original footage and planning on adding bigger names to the cast. I didn't want them to lose the feel of their earlier works or have the clarity added by the Red camera showing the low budget flaws and most importantly, I didn't want them to take themselves out of the leading roles.

Sitting down to actually watch the movie, my fears began to melt away as I was treated to a beautiful recreation of a giallo. What they managed with such a small amount of money is simply staggering. Thankfully they didn't age the picture with fake scratches and such like you usually see in these kinds of throwbacks, though might be a thin later of digital grain added so naturalize it a bit, I'm not really sure. The movie is gorgeous.

As soon as I heard the lead character, Rey Ciso, played by A-6's Adam Brooks, say the line (in an intentionally flatly dubbed voice) “You see that there on the screen, Bella? That's as close to living as you and I will ever come.” I knew they had captured the feel of a giallo. Jack-o-lanterns don't have smiles as wide as I did while the first act played out. It's a barrage of crazy kills, fantastic gore effects, stunningly beautiful women and an absolutely incredible score including music from Goblin's Claudio Simonetti.

As for the name-actors, Kier and Harvey slide right in and do a fantastic job with their small roles. Paz de la Huerta however I feel was terribly miscast. I'm not sure if she just didn't understand the tone of the movie, if it was just a limitation of her acting skills, or if Astron-6 just failed at directing her, but the movie comes grinding to a halt when she's on screen.

The Editor unfortunately begins to show more flaws as it goes on. It doesn't seem to know if it wants to be a comedic homage or a straight up parody. There's some really smart gags here, such as a character suddenly
being struck blind by discovering a body
and the whole
axe through the door kill and the attempt at covering it up
are genius. These are cheapened by the mocking nature of some of the jokes. At points it feels like they're just going though a checklist of references* they want to make or scenes they want to spoof and they don't gel with the storyline at all. It's also clear that the full screenplay was a slave to their original DSLR footage where they just made setpieces out of whatever they had available to them at the time and then had to be written into the movie when they expanded it.

As the story goes on, for some reason they decided to use The Beyond as an influence, even though it's not even remotely close to a giallo and things just go off the rails. While it's no secret that Italian genre films often suffered from incomprehensible plots, it wasn't so much an issue with Bava and Argentio's gialli which are easily The Editor's biggest influence. Even if it was, that shouldn't give you carte blanche to just mangle your finale like they did here.

It's so poorly handled that I've now watched the movie twice normally and a 3rd time with the commentary where they try to explain a few scenes that aren't clear what's happening and I'm still scratching my head. I'm sure they didn't have the money to go back and fix anything after seeing how it just didn't work, but something like your finale making no sense should have been fixed in script before burning though money you don't have to shoot it.

Ending spoilers:
It has something to do with Ray editing reality which is foreshadowed at by his line to Inspector Porfiry, “We're all editors of our realities” and I suppose Ray noticing cigarette burns in the film itself was some kind of clue. There's also a scene after the credits that cements the whole thing, but the supernatural twist is so badly handled it taints the whole movie.

Overall, it's a fun look at gialli and I do recommend it for fans of the sub-genre, but a movie like this should also work at the story level. Take Shaun of the Dead for example. If you remove the comedy there's still a perfectly enjoyable zombie movie in there. The Editor unfortunately does not share that trait.

Is it a good comedy? Yes. Is it a good giallo? Not at all.

*Loved that Murder-Rock: Dancing Death reference!

Rating:
L7UIliz.png

out of 5 Michaels from Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror.

Sorry about the length of this one guys, my next reviews will be considerably shorter.

Ridley327

Did you ever get the chance to watch Berberian Sound Studio or Amer? It seems like those are the giallo pastiches you wanted The Editor to be.

Did you ever get the chance to watch Berberian Sound Studio or Amer? It seems like those are the giallo pastiches you wanted The Editor to be.

Nope, but they're in this month's pile. I wanted to spread them out a bit and Editor came first.

Tonight I get to watch Hellraiser: Revelations. Try not to be too envious!

Damn it, Rob.

So, I just rewatched Zombie's Halloween II, and I don't know how else to describe it other than one of the most frustrating films in cinematic history.

On one hand? Dear god, this movie looks awesome. Seriously. The cinematography is beyond absurdly good. It oozes atmosphere. The framing is great. The lighting is great. Rob has an amazing handle on visuals in general as does his DP, Brandon Trost. Just watching it can be a delight on its own. There's also a lot of very creative, haunting imagery that is quite psychological... and that sort of pours into the problems I have with it.

It tries to be so many things at once that it develops an identity crisis. Is it a slasher film? Psychological horror? I don't have a problem with mixing genres up a bit or even together, but watching this thing-- you're just not ever quite sure what it is, and not in a good way. This leads to it not feeling very scary because the picture is confused, therefore you're confused and unsure how to feel. There's a lack of tension as you never settle into a groove and you're too busy wondering what it is exactly that you're watching unfold.

Beyond that, there is a lot of gratuitous violence. I think that has a place in a slasher, but... is it? I'm getting scenes where there's this nightmarish calm, but also scenes where Michael is curb-stomping the fuck out of a guy's face and stabbing everyone who crosses his path about 46 times or more. There's no common ground, no subtlety... it just feels like a smorgasbord of elements and ideas that Zombie loves and is interested in, slammed into a 1 hour, 45 minute sequel that's supposed to be a Halloween movie but is more along the lines of one of his gritty endeavors like The Devil's Rejects.

I like that he has his own visual signature and I think it's effective and pretty awesome when utilized correctly, I'm just not convinced that Halloween II was the movie to create it with. Sure, his first Halloween had these elements, but I felt that he was more reserved with them; I didn't have a hard time buying that it was Halloween and I thought it was pretty great, and his visual style was awesome, just like with this movie-- but unlike this movie, the first one was actually coherent and solid whereas the sequel is just all over the place, like it's trying to be smart and say something while tripping over its own indulgences.

I don't think it's some terrible piece of shit, hence why I'm calling it frustrating. I like a lot about it, but I quite despise a lot about it at the same time. But my god, does it look good-- and the first 25 minutes or so are fucking fantastic, with the exception of that horribly stupid ambulance crash... fuck... fuck... ow... fuck... shit, fuck... ow, fuck... shit... god... fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Fuck.

Steamlord

Yeah, for what it's worth, I was pretty disappointed with The Editor too and I really liked Berberian Sound Studio and I loved Amer.

I'll probably be watching The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears very soon, with somewhat lowered expectations based on things I've heard about it.

alvmew

I keep meaning to post in this thread, but I never have the time (and subsequently am a little behind in my film watching, but I think over the next few days I'll definitely catch up). Some light thoughts on what I have seen:

1. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - I'm not the biggest fan of expressionist film to be totally honest, but I was able to recognize why this film is so beloved even if it wasn't my cup of tea.

2. The Green Inferno -
Human pot brownie. That is all.

3. Halloween (Rob Zombie) - I was surprised with how much I liked this film. I really liked the expanded view on Michael's childhood and all of the callback shots to the original, although it was much too gory and seems to have "missed the point" of what made the original so good.

4. Halloween II (Rob Zombie) - See below.

5. 28 Days Later - I think I'm a little zombied out, but still really liked it. After having read about the alternate ending, I kind of wish it had gone with that instead, but whatevs.

6. Rosemary's Baby - My second favorite so far, although I felt that the ending
felt maybe a tad rushed? And the delivery on the "HAIL SATAN!" lines that kept getting screamed near the end just felt a bit cheesy for me.

7. The Final Girls - This movie was so fun to me. I love films that are aware of their genres like this.

8. Aliens - Fantastic film. I've seen it in bits and pieces here and there, but it was nice to finally take it all in at once. My favorite so far -
and it helped me conclude I have achieved my full evolution into a gay, as I instinctively screamed YASSSSS, SLAY QUEEN when Ripley fought the Queen (pun intended?) at the end.

EDIT: And, I should add, I am doing only movies I've never seen before. For a guy that claims horror as his favorite genre, I haven't seen a lot of the classics, so I'll likely be focusing on those.

Damn it, Rob.

Agreed. Part of me really liked watching
Laurie's
descent and I adored the look of the film, but otherwise, this is how I felt after watching this movie:

tumblr_mavg5jRwSE1rolhqjo2_500.gif

I'm not even 2 minutes into Hellraiser: Revelations and it's already excruciating.

There's a character named Nico Bradley and another named Steven Craven. *groan*

Ridley327

Damn, no wonder Doug was so fucking angry about the film. Not only did they fuck up the makeup, but they found a way to drag his good name quite literally into it!

I'll do longer write ups of my last two views tomorrow, but I watched Ravenous (pretty good!), and Don't Look Now...and wow, I might have to rethink my top 10 horror films vote because DLN is one of the most deeply unsettling films I've ever seen, and amazingly directed and edited. It's doubly impressive because it really only has one or two moments traditional 'scares' in the whole thing.

NIGHT-

Pre October

1. Unfriended
2. The Gift
3. Poltergeist Remake
4. The Visit
5. The Strangers

October

1. Joyride
2. The Faculty
3. The Fog(carpenter )
4. From Dusk Till Dawn
5.Misery
6. Prom Night original
7.Christine
8. Body bags
9. Gremlins
10. Insidious
11. House of wax 3D
12. Burnt Offerings
13. It follows
14. The Babadook
15. The Tourist Trap

Haven't been motivated to watch anything over the past few days :(

Thinking the reason is because everything I want to watch ISN'T on a streaming service, like say The Gate.
Basically I'll be spending a lot of money on just renting shit off of places like Amazon but am currently broke :/

Oh well....

Linkhero1

31 Days of Horror
Pre-31 Days of Horror 1 - Behind the Mask
Pre-31 Days of Horror 2 - Unfriended
Day 1 - The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
Day 2 - The Thing (1982)
Day 3 - The Cabinet of Dr. Calagari
Day 3 Double Feature - Dead Silence
Day 4 - Black Death
Day 5 - Maniac Cop
Day 6 - The Omen (1976)
Day 7 - Creep (2014)
Day 8 - The Taking of Deborah Logan
Day 9 - The Return of the Living Dead
Day 10 - ATM
Day 10 Double Feature - From Dusk Till Dawn
Day 11 - The People Under the Stairs
Day 11 Double Feature - The Strangers

Another day, another double feature. I'm feeling pretty lazy so I'll keep it a few sentences short.

The People Under the Stairs
Wes Craven delivers another masterful and sickening horror film. I don't think I hated a damned thing about this movie. It was creepy and made me feel uncomfortable at times. I couldn't unsee Vince McMahon in Daddy.

Rating: Watch

The Strangers
A home invasion type thriller. I was enjoying it up until the point where I realized that these people are making dumb ass decisions to ensure they die. It pained me to watch them make dumb decisions therefore I ended up not liking the film as much as I thought I would. That...and I saw You're Next last year which is basically as good as home invasion horrors get.

Rating: Skip

You might like The Hunger or 30 Days of Night.

I haven't heard of The Hunger before, but I'll make sure to check out both. I've seen 30 Days of Night mentioned a few times before. It seems to be a hit or miss for some people, but it looks right up my alley.

yeah, ATM didn't look that good. Well, for next time, maybe look into Below, The Pact, or Grabbers? (The last one is more a horror-comedy.) Despite their lackluster covers + synopses, they're all generally solid flicks. And even though it's not much of a "horror" movie (more along the lines of something like The Orphanage), I remember The Awakening being pretty good too.
I recall watching The Pact a year or two ago and being turned off about 20 mins into the movie. I'll check out the rest minus The Awakening since I've seen it before. It was pretty good from what I remember.

this is the one where he made one that shoot cd's as projectiles, right? And a club scene at the start I believe, which I unfortunately remember. Kind of wish I didn't.
(unless that scene is in the fourth one, which is even bigger trash... in space)

Yeah, the CD Cenobite is Hellraiser 3.

I love that one. It's way up on my so-bad-it's-good list. It's friggin hilarious and such a different tone than the others.

6. Unfriended

"Well the glitch just typed."

This surprised as it's actually a decent little horror flick. I admired the attention to detail, the main characters apps and computer was incredibly personalized. Down to the song choices, and even past messages on Facebook. It almost felt voyeuristic watching this film at times. I even felt at times a good amount of dread and suspense which would unfortunately lead to some not-so-good payoffs. Even then, the film would still bounce back before from one silly payoff to the next. I still very much enjoyed it though, and it's one of my big surprises this month so far. Spoilers beyond,
these payoff scenes I'm referring to are the death/suicide scenes. I know the intention of the filmmakers but seeing somebody shove their hand and face into a blender was absolutely hilarious. There had to have been another way to go about offing this people. I was also surprised that this actually turned out to be a ghost film and that the malevolent spirit didn't end up being one of the friends. I was totally fine with this but I feel as if the ending of the film didn't follow its own rules that were established. All of these talks of redemption and how the truth will set you free, but the ghost still killed her "friend" regardless. The last shot reeked of the usual studio fare and I didn't feel that it was necessary. The film would have been better off ending about 30 seconds earlier with the main character left alive having to live with the choices she made. This is a morality tale after all. Special mention goes out to how awful all of the characters turned out to be, these are some honestly shitty people. It made for a more entertaining movie I guess.

7.5/10

7. The Hills Have Eyes (Craven)

"You got rocks in your head, asshole. Keep walking."

If I had to bet, I would say the killer family in this flick doesn't use social media. Maybe during the next reboot. This film carries on many of the same themes from Craven's The Last House on the Left. It's sort of strange to see a filmmaker make two films back to back that can be viewed as similar, but I guess Craven hadn't got it out of his system yet. I liked how the cannibalistic family’s appearance wasn't over the top like what we see in the wrong turn series or other films of this kind. Don't get me wrong, they are still deformed for the most part, but it's kept at a minimum. I kind of felt sorry for Michael Berryman though, he's basically made a career because he is funny looking. I guess he's made the most out of it. I've also got to give props to Craven for trying to make the Carter family more than just a set of one-dimensional characters, he didn't quite achieve this, but there's more here than just the typical people fodder. The film was well paced and it doesn't take long to get to the action, it's also interesting to see that Craven's love for booby-traps (later used in the Elm Street series) can be traced back to this film.

Spoilers:
Let's get this out of the way. Bobby is probably my least favorite horror character in recent memory. Well, since Andrea from the Walking Dead. He about matches her with intelligence, almost killing one of the better characters because of his stupidity. Maybe if he would have mentioned his suspicions his daddy wouldn't have got burned to death. We wouldn't have got that amazing moment of Papa Jupiter taunting his burnt corpse though, so maybe I'm a bit torn on Bobby. No, fuck that, he gets to keep the gun with only two bullets when he's the kind of guy that plays duck hunt and never even gets a shot on the screen. I'm docking one point off this film for not having Bobby get eaten/throat ripped out by a dog/or bit by a snake.

My favorite aspect of this film, and what was a total surprise to me is how it became a story of a dog seeking revenge against a family of desert living cannibals. Seriously, the dog is amazing, and his battle against Michael Berryman is the high-point of the movie. Many of the characters were suspicious of running into a rattlesnake and mentioned it often. Luckily there was a good payoff there as well, and it's one of those moments where I get confused on how it was filmed. The filmmakers would have to double my salary to handle that snake like it was for the ending. Speaking of the ending, the film just kind of stops. The antagonist gets killed and then boom. Roll Credits. Did the surviving Carter's ever get out of desert? Does Mama starve to death? Do I really want to watch The Hills Have Eyes 2 to find out? No.

7.5/10

#7 Cooties (2014)
I had fun with this, especially the first part before everything goes haywire, it gets a bit predictable in the second part. Maybe it worked better as a comedy than as a horror movie; but it had some great gore and which I appreciated.

H1aBN46.jpg

#8 Would You Rather (2012)
This was a disappointment, very predictable, lacking real tension, and while I loved Jeffrey Combs in those Stuart Gordon films, he really hams it up in this one.

yFWEEee.jpg

Best thing about these two movies are the throwback posters tho.

Steamlord

#20 - London After Midnight (2002 Reconstruction)

It boggles the mind that a film directed by Tod Browning and starring Lon Chaney could be lost, but that's what happened with this one, with the last known copy destroyed in the 1967 MGM Vault fire. In 2002 TCM made a 45-minute reconstruction of the film using the script and production stills. While it doesn't work as a film in this form, it still offers an interesting look into what the film was like. It seems like it was visually interesting, with Lon Chaney in top form, but based on the reconstruction the plot seemed bare-bones at best, and stupid at worst. But maybe the more fleshed out film would have fixed some of that. I would love to be able to see the film itself one day, if only for Chaney's performance.

#21 - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920)

A longer and more fleshed out adaptation of Stevenson's novella starring John Barrymore. I think it's the first feature length adaptation? I enjoyed it. It was pretty brutal at times, and I liked how Hyde kind of got progressively grosser looking with each transformation. The sets and camera work are pretty impressive for the time too. The best Jekyll and Hyde adaptation I've seen so far, but the other two were short films made almost ten years earlier so that's not surprising. I've heard lots of good things about the 1931 adaptation so I'll be watching that this month as well.

#22 - The Hands of Orlac (1924)

Another Wiene / Veidt film, though this one seems to get a lot less recognition than Caligari. This film pulls back from the demented Expressionist sets of Caligari and Genuine, though it doesn't do away with Expressionist stylings entirely. The sets, the lighting, and the surrealist imagery are excellent. The dark, oppressive, angled streets give it almost a film noir feel, foreshadowing Fritz Lang's masterpiece M that came seven years later and served as the clearest link between Expressionism and film noir. The film maintains a tasteful ambiguity throughout, keeping the tension high. Veidt, of course, gives an excellent performance, saying more with his movements and facial expressions than most actors could with words. I'd say this is easily the best new silent film I've seen so far this month, and it'll probably settle among my favorite silent films period.

FloatOn

I don't have the time to participate in the marathon but I did end up watching Creep last night on netflix.

This thing was highly unsettling. The descent into crazy was perhaps the most subtle I've seen. It goes from "hey this guy is pretty weird" to "holy shit he's pathological" in a way that is very uncomfortable to watch.

The ending was disturbing too. The movie certainly lives up to it's name. If you feel like being creeped out, this is the way to go.

deleted

Lol at the world's biggest eye or tiniest hand and razor in the 'Would you rather' poster above.

I'm not really participating, but I just finished Scream, the TV series and wanted to share my thoughts:

It was alright. Many things were good, some great, some bad.
I liked some of the dynamics that unfolded. Jake and Brook both not having a clean slate or being relatable but they had the best 'will they won't they' on the show.
The mother/daughter relationship on the other hand was pretty bad. Both actors do a good job, but the mother being: 'Well you may well be traumatized for the rest of your live, enjoy your alone time while I head back to work' every. damn. time. she should have stayed with her was just jarring.
The Red Herrings were often too obvious. Especially when the only one who doesn't have one pointed out is the killer..
Many points were left open deliberately when everyone would normally ask for one or two more details. Felt like they needed too many things to make S2 possible. I would have been better to have this season a little bit more self contained.
The finale was rushed. They had less than 10 minutes for the reveal and to talk it through. And the 'oh and one more shocking truth...' dead. thing was annoying.
It felt a bit uneven after they spent so much time setting things up.

The teacher was great. It was obvious he wasn't the killer for this season, but he did his best to be menacing and foreshadowing so I hope he returns.
Emma and Will reminded me of Casper van Dien and Carmen Electra during Starship Troopers - had anyone told me that they are their children, I would've believed it.
The Mother and the Chief had great chemistry and screen presence - even if they had to deal with mediocre dialogue.
The meta commentary was quite well done. The pointing cliches out and then doing them anyway not so much.
When it comes to Slasher TV series, I enjoyed Harper's Island way more. This wasn't bad though and there is a lot more potential. Compared to the first movie though, it isn't nearly done well enough to have the same impact.

Oh, and I watched It follows and The Purge. The first one I liked, felt well done and atmospheric at times, the second one was alright and tense at times, but mostly average.

MattyH

so i watched Halloween 6 the producers cut last night (ive seen it several times) but this time it was the restored bluray rather than the bootleg dvd that ive had for many years and as great as it was to see it all nice and shiny it kinda wasn't as enjoyable to me as watching the grainy sometimes very rough bootleg

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Dawn of the Dead (2004) is a decent Ving Rhames action movie. Typical zombie stuff. The only similarities to Romero's movie are the title and the setting. I have to mention that the survivor's plan to leave their well-stocked fortress to live on an island like the Swiss Family Robinson is one of the dumbest things I've seen in a horror movie.

12. Triangle (2009) - This was a much different film than what I was expecting, and it was quite good. The concept
loops and different points in time
were well done while mixing in some tales of the
Bermuda Triangle with an abandoned ship coming from it.
It's still not quite clear what happened and when, but it's one of the least predictable films I've seen in a while. 8/10.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
15. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987): Very good sequel, and better than the second one. Given time I may even come to enjoy this more than the original. It does share a major flaw with the first movie: it gets worse towards the end. Most of the really fun stuff is packed relatively early (puppeteer, clay motion, Freddy as a snake, "welcome to prime time, bitch"), and while the stop motion skeleton was delightful I was hoping for a big finish that never came. I like how the doctor dude at the end went "she was Freddy's mother!" as if that wasn't obvious to everyone from the moment she told her story.

Penguin

1. Maniac
  2. I Spit on Your Grave
  3. House of Wax
  4. Stag Night
  5. Halloween 2007
  6. Funny Games
  7. Fright Night
  8. The Hills Have Eyes
  9. The Strangers
  10. Mercy
  11. John Carpenter's The Thing
  12. Mother's Day
  13. Truth or Die

Movie 14 - ATM

The movie was better than the limited concept would have one believe, but again one of those films where I question the ending.

I'm still not sure how I feel about... not vague but lack of motivation endings.

But guess fun twist on the home invasion movie.

Movie 15 - Stay Alive

Checked out this movie based on a suggestion in this thread, the movie was fun.The concept... well it seems like they were playing with their own rules at times, but I guess they call that out when the characters mention they don't even know the rules!

Aiii

So not worth it
Movie #01: Chakushin ari a.k.a. One Missed Call (2003) - 3/5 Stars
Movie #02: Cropsey (2009) - 3.5/5 Stars
Movie #03: Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) - 4.5/5 Stars
Movie #04: Starry Eyes (2014) - 3.5/5 Stars
Movie #05: Ôdishon a.k.a. Audition (1999) - 4/5 Stars
Movie #06: Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (2010) - 2.5/5 Stars
Movie #07: Haunter (2013) - 4/5 Stars
Movie #08: The Den (2013) - 3/5 Stars
Movie #09: Sinister (2012) - 4.5/5 Stars
Movie #10: The Conjuring (2013) - 5/5 Stars
Movie #11: House at the End of the Street (2012) - 1.5/5 Stars
Movie #12: The Loved Ones (2009) - 4/5 Stars

the20last20exorcismjyppg.jpg

Movie #13: The Last Exorcism (2010)

This faux-documentary documents a reverend who performs fake exorcisms on his last job before retiring. He travels to a small town to a remote farm where a 16-year-old girl is supposedly possesed by a demon and slaughtering farm animals.

This movie is really interesting, the fake-documentary style works really well and is kept in good regard throughout the film. Though at some points the film introduces "horror-sounds" to the soundtrack as the documentary crew and reverend go about their business, which takes away from treating it like a true documentary.

Ending spoilers:
The thing that bothers me most when watching these found-footage films is the question of how and why the footage was managed to be released. The movie ends with the documentary crew dying, actually it literally ends on the cameraman's death. The reason for his death is "get the guy with the camera." Meaning they purposely went after him for his footage. Yet here we are, watching it. How and why is not explained, which takes away a lot of the impact. Just a small line at the end going "This footage was found in a yard-sale on the other side of the country, when researching the town and events depicted in the footage, no evidence of what is seen on the tape could be found." So you still have your open ending, and explain how the footage was made available to make the film." But oh well, it is what it is.

This movie really stands by the principal actors though, the reverend feels very real and gives a lot of validity to the faux-documentary and the ability to make it seem like the real deal. The family and the documentary crew do a good job as well. I enjoyed this movie quite a bit, even though it takes a long time to get to the meat of the story.

3 pieces of mud thrown at windshields out of 5.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
12. Triangle (2009) - This was a much different film than what I was expecting, and it was quite good. The concept
loops and different points in time
were well done while mixing in some tales of the
Bermuda Triangle with an abandoned ship coming from it.
It's still not quite clear what happened and when, but it's one of the least predictable films I've seen in a while. 8/10.

I saw that about a year ago, and at least a single viewing left a bad taste because it felt like the movie cheated. I don't think it makes any sense unless the protagonist lady suffers from some kind of amnesia, but nothing in the movie justified her having memory problems.

Akahige

October 10:

Pontypool (2008)
- Really good high concept, low budget film set in mostly one location. The writing is the star of the show, it's sharp, funny, and has a tense pace and build up. The acting is quite good from Stephen McHattie, perfect for radio voice, and had a good wtf is going on expression during the last half of the film.

October 11:

John Dies at the End (2012) - Meh for the most part, humor didn't really work for me most of the time, the acting was alright, Paul Giamatti is a little too good for crap like this.

5) Haunter

A bit different than the usual ghost story and I'm glad they didn't try to make the twist that she's already dead. Even though the movie was different, the ending still seemed a bit cliche. I wish there was more to it because I thought at least the setting was decent.

12 – The Descent

“I’m an English teacher, not fucking Tomb Raider!”

zFl0a6N.png

Shocking, bloody and brutal, The Descent is one of my absolute favourite movies.

It’s also one of the few movies that I find genuinely scary pretty much from the word go. I went on a school geology trip when I was 15 years old, on which we did some absolutely fucking terrifying cave exploration. Fortunately we didn’t encounter any
hungry, blind, naked, psychopathic orcs
on that trip, which was obviously a relief, but nevertheless I’ve suffered claustrophobia ever since. This film brings those feelings back, big time.

The cast are all great, with Shauna MacDonald worthy of special mention. As both
grieving mother and vengeful wife
she manages to be simultaneously terrified and terrifying, and the scene where
she rises from the blood lake like some glorious goddess of gore
gets me every time. Absolutely bastard awesome.

After this and Dog Soldiers, its fantastic predecessor, director Neil Marshall seemed to lose his way a bit, which is a shame. I’d love him to get back to his roots and do a another proper, original horror movie.

One last point you always have to mention when you talk about The Descent: I watch the original UK version of this film, the one with the ending Marshall always envisaged. The US version finishes quite differently I believe.

Blader

Night of the Living Dead (1968)
No wonder this was such a landmark film. A creepy, tense thriller that's more about the people inside than the zombies outside, and says a lot about human behavior and 60s America without having to be upfront and on-the-nose about it either. Great ending.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
This is a hard one to digest. On the one hand, it's incredibly well made on every front; feels like if the Maysles bros did a documentary on evil hicks. On the other hand, this shit is fucked up. The grindiest grindhouse movie I've ever seen.

I was going to try watching a couple more slashers today, but after that I think I need to shift gears to something a little less grimy. :lol

obin_gam

Day 11:T H E B L O B
Could never have guessid this would be as awesome and gruesom as it was. What a great ride. Seems like it is not well known at all in the horror circuit but should be. Great characters, fun kills, disgusting gore and overall a good time :) Best movie of this festival yet!

Day 12: The Gallows
Or, should we call it Stupid Kids Ding Stupid Stuff Getting Themselves Killed.
Ugh. Why is this one hyped again?

Divius

Super far behind on write-ups, not so much on viewings. Need to find a time to sit down and write my thoughts on the movies.

Then again, my memory of the horror movie I saw 6 horror movies ago might not be super accurate anymore...

the-mummy-1932.jpg

13. The Mummy (1932) - Got to be honest, this was not one of Karloff's better films. I found it pretty meh compared to his work in Frankenstein and the excellent Body Snatcher. 5.5/10

5123Y317BGL.jpg

14. Blood and Black Lace (1966) - Love this film. The first giallo film is such a fun watch with great set design, and a fun mystery to solve. It's going to be a mainstay on my challenge list from now on. 8/10.

6) Unfriended

I had not heard of this movie until I saw it on the store shelf. It looked like a cheesy knock off horror film that would go straight to video or on some cable network. So I had no expectations or even knew what it was about. I kind of thought it was unique and liked the angle of showing it from one person's computer screen. It was actually very confusing watching this on a PC and throwing this up on one of my monitors while I was doing something else. Since they were using real services and sound effects, every time a notification would go off, it would confuse me since I thought I was getting messages. Also it just looked like it could be one of my desktops on the one monitor. I highly don't recommend to watch it on a PC =) That aside, I liked the movie. It wasn't anything great, but it was entertaining, very watchable, and a bit unique. It was a pleasant surprise.

#16 - Hellraiser IV: Bloodlines [1996]
MPW-26151

Slightly a step up from Hellraiser III due to the explanation of how the box came to be and the toy makers bloodline. Beyond that though the movie is still shit and the Cenobites have completely lost most of the horror aspects they had from playing with victims through mind games and torture. 3.5/10

#17 - Hellraiser: Hellworld [2005]
iljG3D1.jpg

Decided to skip ahead to one of the entries in the later parts of the series due to the fact a video game plays a part in this or so it says. The game turns out to be a shitty browser flash game that the movie uses as a plot device to get the group their invites to a party to meet the Cenobites. At this point in the series the movies are just straight up slasher horror flicks between the random nudity all over the place,the group of friends being murdered after splitting up, the hot girl surviving till the end, and the "twist" ending. Shame really because its an enjoyable horror film but using the Hellraiser name does not help its case. Watch Stay Alive though if you want a slightly better "video game" horror movie that doesn't die the coattails of a franchise 4.5/10

8. Ravenous An above average horror/black comedy blend set in a remote fort during the Mexican--American war. It leverages its unique setting for some excellent atmosphere, and slowly builds up its cast and sense of mystery with some very good dry humor and unease up to the half-way point. Unfortunately the second half, while still enjoyable, doesn't match up to either the humor or creepiness (which, it is pretty light on) as it dispenses with most of the cast members and focuses on a morality struggle that isn't as interesting as the setting itself--which the first half built up in spades. It's all set to a wonderfully catchy anachronistic soundtrack (although very fitting) co-written by Damon Albarn of Gorillaz and Blur fame, of all people.

9. Don't Look Now Absolutely masterful. It's primarily set in Venice during the day time, has almost no scares, focuses primarily on a married couple trying to overcome their grief of losing their daughter, and it is by far the most unsettling--and for me--most outright terrifying film I've seen in my marathon. It uses incredibly inventive editing techniques and some beautifully obtuse camera work to make even seemingly mundane scenes horribly tense. Throughout the whole film you can sense that something is wrong but can never exactly point your finger on what it is besides this pervading sense of unease and dread, and then when the climax hits (which, along with the opening, is a masterfully editing and horrifying sequence) you are struck by the same grotesque realization that the character is. It's also a beautiful movie, not using the typical Venice landmarks, and has a lovely score that also adds to the tension. It's a fantastic film on pretty much ever level.

10. Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors I'm only going through the Wes Craven directed/written entries since I don't want to wade into the more questionable entries yet. I saw the first one prior to the marathon and enjoyed it quite a bit, and I liked this one similarly well. It includes more of the fantastic special effects driven nightmare sequences which are again the highlight of the movie, and wraps it in a fun, albeit frequently very goofy-story of teens in a mental hospital all afflicted by the nightmare. I enjoyed the set-up and bringing back Nancy was a nice touch. I liked the first one a little better since it felt a little more visceral and less goofy, but I'd say this is a worthy followup (since I hear the second one is a bit of an unexpected divergence to say the least...).

Top Bottom