• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 5 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

eagledare

3. Sinister
sinister-poster01s1qxh.jpg

The first 2/3 of this movie was damn near terrifying. The segments where Ethan Hawke's character is reviewing the home movies sent chills up my spine in a way very few horror movies have, and the "music" playing in the background as he watches reminded me of Gnaw Their Tongues... shit is just nope.

However, the reveal that
the kids were assisting with the murders
put a bit of a damper on the scare factor for me. Also, I liked the angle they went with on the killer, but had this turned out to be
a real human stalking/murdering these families
IMO this would've been the GOAT horror movie. Still an incredible watch.

4/5.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
12. The Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence) (2011): I saw the first one last year and was somewhat disappointed because there was nothing actually in the movie that came close to being as messed up as the idea itself. This one goes a long way in rectifying that. Of course it pushes it to such absurd levels that by the time you get to barbed wire rape and stomped baby you are just laughing about the whole thing. The most legitimately disturbing aspect of the movie was the family dynamic between Martin and his mother. The movie looked and sounded good, and despite the brief appearance the doctor came close to knocking Martin down as the MVP. Recommended if you're looking for some body horror with laughs.

Day 6: You'e Next (2013)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZKQU0YYkNw

A home-invasion film where a family gets picked off one by one by a group of masked intruders... however, they didn't bank on a kick-ass girl kicking ass.

This is a very generic horror film up until the last third of the film where there are tons of horror cliches such as fake scares, stupid characters, predictable plot, and illogical decisions. However, the main character makes the most logical and brave decisions, who can successfully defend against the intruders.

This is a pretty fun film, with you rooting for the main character but it will take a long time for you to get really engaged.

Overall: 6/10

Day 7: Chopping Mall (1986)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzVoN6SD9cQ

A shlock horror film about 3 killer robots in a shopping mall. A group of teenagers get terrorized by the robots and they have until dawn to survive.

This is so bad, its very cheesy, and not scary at all. Death scenes should have been good but lacks any creativity or tension.

Overall: 2/10

Akahige

October 8:

Cure (1997) * - A slow and methodical horror mystery centered around detective investigating a series of similar murders done by different people. Kurosawa Kiyoshi is a master a creating a world with a overwhelming sense of dread. The cinematography is impressive with the use of low lighting, long takes & empty space. Yakusho Koji as the lead is excellent, you can feel the heavy effect of the strange case & his sad home life. Superb film all around.

* indicates a re-watch

whip_and_the_body.jpg

10. The Whip And The Body (1963)
Another Bava classic, and this time with Christopher Lee in one of the best roles I've seen of him. A romantic ghost story that I'm sure amazed audiences at the time, but still remains a decently creepy flick today. 7.5/10

17. Oculus (2013)
Overall, the premise was much better than the execution. It is about a mirror which messes with its owners. The siblings as adults mostly did things for the sake of plot. Them as children was much more interesting than the adult part. The cutting back and forth was jarring so I had to look at the plot afterwards. Definitely a flawed film. 2/5

Watching Omen II so far and it seems not any better. Perhaps I should rewatch something good...
Edit: 20 minutes in, nah/5. Creepshow marathon time!

Aiii

So not worth it
Movie #1: Chakushin ari a.k.a. One Missed Call (2003) - 3/5 Stars
Movie #2: Cropsey (2009) - 3.5/5 Stars
Movie #3: Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) - 4.5/5 Stars
Movie #4: Starry Eyes (2014) - 3.5/5 Stars
Movie #5: Ôdishon a.k.a. Audition (1999) - 4/5 Stars
Movie #6: Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (2010) - 2.5/5 Stars
Movie #7: Haunter (2013) - 4/5 Stars
Movie #8: The Den (2013) - 3/5 Stars
Movie #9: Sinister (2012) - 4.5/5 Stars

the-conjuring-scary-mx3st3.jpg

Movie #10 - The Conjuring (2013)

Holy shit, this is the best movie I've watched so far. Scares you shitless, down to the bone. Great atmosphere, terrifying at the right moments and goosebump-inducing for the rest of it. Terrific cast, too. Just everything about this movie worked for me. Absolutely superb horror. Not gonna spend more words on this, do yourself a favor and seek this one out.

Watch this.

5 scary Annabel-dolls out of 5.

6. The Fly (1958). A very successful combination of camp and humor, with some legitimately disturbing and uncomfortable undertones (that go fully explored in Cronenberg's exceptional remake). Even at its silliest there is always a level of unease that really makes the movie work. The structure is interesting, especially compared to the Cronenberg version, as this one focuses more on mystery by using a framing story. Vincent price is fun as always, but I was surprised that he didn't get the titular fly role here, but the actor who does an exceptional job of acting with his face hidden and only communicating by knocking on tables with his hand. It's also interesting that the film looks more like a classical Hollywood production than a B-horror picture, with stately cinemascope framing, lavish production design, and a wide palette of bright colors.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
13. It (1990): I think how scary this is depends entirely on how frightened of clowns the viewer is. The beginning was good, the monster targeting kids made it feel more sinister than it otherwise might have been, and the scenes with the little girl by the laundry and George were suitably creepy. After that the movie started to get progressively weaker, and the best thing about it really was the way it captured a childhood summer. Second half was definitely weaker because I didn't really buy the the hold It still had over the group when they were adults. I have not read the book, but I imagine the whole Deadlights thing just did not transfer well to film. Despite being 3 hours long, the movie/miniseries somehow still does not find the time to really elaborate on the nature and history of It outside a few anecdotes, though maybe it is better to leave it up to the imagination. I don't mind clowns, so Tim Curry as Pennywise was more delightful than terrifying. I do remember seeing at least parts of this as a kid, and some moments were still surprisingly vivid in my mind so perhaps it's one of those horror movies that are best seen when you are young.

Persona7

Banned
Not really, first story is pretty rough but rest is typical horror.

I watched the entire movie and the scene I saw previously was pretty much the only part that didn't seem like typical bad horror gore.
it was the scene where the guy gets stabbed while sleeping. I guess it caught me off guard. I skipped it when I watched the movie today.

I didn't like the first movie but I also watched the second one and I have no interest in bothering with the third one.

lordxar

From the Dark was good. Its like a Scottish vampire movie that kind of reminds me of a survival horror game. I give it five burning torches.

18. Creepshow (1982)

A great movie with only the last story being a gross-out moment. The best is "Something to Tide You Over" with a strong performace. Also like "Father's Day" and "The Crate". A low 4/5 because it was fun.

19. Tales From The Dark (2013)

Wow, I struck gold in the Amazon Prime pool.
This is three stories put together in one film. It was made in Hong Kong, so subtitled. However, the acting was strong, the stories were engaging, and it made you think/cry as well as get spooked. Easily recommend this if you want a good movie from the instant video pool of movies. I give it a high 4 spooky Asian ghosts out of 5

Ridley327

October 9

The one thing that struck me about The Hills Have Eyes is that it feels more like a first film than The Last House on the Left did. Sure, the latter film has its fair share of issues, but it always felt like it was about something and it offered up a much needed reality check for exploitation films that were content just to push the envelope without having to deal with the messy consequences. The Hills Have Eyes feels like a step back in that regard, where it's got the brutality but none of the introspection. That wouldn't be so bad if it was a full-on tale of survival that doesn't let up, but there's a lot of dead air that is spent with the perpetually moronic Carter clan as they demonstrate time and time again a crippling addiction to bad judgment and an unwavering willingness to do things the really damn hard way. It's here that one of Craven's longest-running issues, that being difficulties in getting actors to give plausible performances, rears its ugly head for nearly every performer on both sides of the conflict, and it's pretty difficult to not try and plug your ears whenever someone talks (especially Robert Houston, holy cow is he bad), especially when Craven's thin script is doing no favors. There's also no real flow to the film, where it feels like the screenplay was somewhat cobbled together, as if it was haphazardly cut down from a concept that Craven couldn't get the budget for, or something along those lines. In its place, there's a lot of stupid people doing really stupid things for a hard-to-believe-it's-just 90 minutes, scored to a schizophrenic soundtrack that runs the gamut from the stock synth-driven creep to sounding like the soundtrack from a 70s cop show. It's not all bad, though, as Craven does stage at least one effective attack sequence inside a trailer that spares very few, and he does have a good eye for the locales in the film, with a nice emphasis on the barren nature of the landscapes as they seem to go on for miles and miles. And as a dog lover, it was gratifying to see one depicted as the hero of the film and certainly far more intelligent than any of its owners or aggressors, but I'm not sure that last part was entirely intentional on Craven's part.

Films for October 10: Double feature Saturday takes us to two features from the beloved... no wait, that's not the right word. Double feature Saturday takes us to two features from the respected... no, that's not right, either. Double feature Saturday takes us to two features from the acquired taste of Jess Franco. Better! Shot back to back with much of the same cast and crew, Vampyros Lesbos and She Killed in Ecstasy have both long been considered two of the best films that Franco ever did, thanks in no small part to the considerable charm and beauty of the tragically short-lived Soledad Miranda, as well as the long shelf life of their soundtracks.

1) The Nerdist Prestents: The Hive
2) I Spit on Your Grave 2
3) Her Name Is Torment
4) The Nightmare
5) Late Phases
6) Mockingbird

7) The Final Girls

Really good stuff. Didn't feel forced at all. Would love to see a sequel. Prob my fave flick I've watched so far since the challenge.

inm8num2

#9 - Dolls
BLITmlh.jpg

Now this is quite an overlooked gem from Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator). We see the movie through the eyes of Judy, a young girl, who is traveling with her father and stepmother. During a nasty storm they end up at a secluded estate with a few other random passersby. Dolls is one of those rare instances when the backstory to a ridiculous premise (killer dolls) makes the movie that much better (
the old toy makers who live in the mansion test people's morals; if they fail, the couple kills them and puts their souls into the toys
). Dolls is not without humor - Judy's father, David, provides much of the comic relief with his over-the-top reactions. Most importantly, the makeup and visual effects are fantastic. Overall a really solid horror movie.

viewing list

Film 7: Nightbreed (1990)
Film 8: The Lost Boys (1987)

T3LMbbC.jpg

Nightbreed has been intriguing me from sometime now since the directors cut hit bluray from Scream Factory. It was an ok film with great visuals. Kinda felt like a modern update to Island of Lost Souls.

The Lost Boys was awesome and fun as always. A recently divorced mother of two boys moves from Phoenix to California and they battle vampires. You can't go wrong putting this film on the list for the marathon. Fun movie.

NIGHT-

Pre October

1. Unfriended
2. The Gift
3. Poltergeist Remake
4. The Visit
5. The Strangers

October

1. Joyride
2. The Faculty
3. Dusk Till Dawn
4. Misery
5. Prom Night original
6. Christine
7. Body bags
8. Gremlins
9.Insidious

10.House of wax 3D!! First time watching this flick, which is a shame, since I'm a huge fan of Vincent Price!

Linkhero1

31 Days of Horror
Pre-31 Days of Horror 1 - Behind the Mask
Pre-31 Days of Horror 2 - Unfriended
Day 1 - The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
Day 2 - The Thing (1982)
Day 3 - The Cabinet of Dr. Calagari
Day 3 Double Feature - Dead Silence
Day 4 - Black Death
Day 5 - Maniac Cop
Day 6 - The Omen (1976)
Day 7 - Creep (2014)
Day 8 - The Taking of Deborah Logan
Day 9 - The Return of the Living Dead

The Return of the Living Dead
The Return of the Living Dead is a 1980s B Horror movie that pays tribute to Night of the Living Dead. This movie has it all; cheesy lines, awesome music that sounds like something that came out of Scooby Doo cartoons, cartoonish characters, and outlandish adults who simply make things worse. Once again, another 80s film reminds me why I'll always take practical effects over CGI. The effects in the film were well done, though, there were some scenes where they seemed a bit lousy. I'm glad I watched Night of the Living Dead prior to seeing this film because it makes me appreciate the film even more. A definite must watch for fans of 80s horror.

Rating: Must Watch

4. Nightbreed

"Fuck the law, I want meat!"

I want to apologize to Nightbreed fans beforehand, because I did not like this movie. Which is unfortunate since I had been looking forward to watching it for a few months now. I first became intrigued with Nightbreed when I learned of the restoration that Shoutfactory! helped provide. It's really cool that we live in a time where things like this is possible, and I hope that we see more of it in the future. Sidenote: Has anyone tracked down the lost footage of Exorcist 3 yet? You hear me Shout? Now, back to Nightbreed. Clive Barker likes to put the failure of this film upon the studio for not marketing it correctly and cutting it to pieces. That might be true, especially the latter part, but even with his "fixed" director's cut I'm not sure how Barker expected this movie to catch on. The so called potential "star wars" of horror is probably the biggest horror let down I've had in years. That's not to say that there isn't plenty of potential, I believe we could have had a great film out of this premise. Unfortunately, it's in my opinion that the potential of this film was squandered. One example is in the case of the monsters. I didn't care for the design of most of them (there are exceptions), but ultimately I didn't feel any investment with any of them. I believe one of the themes of this movie is to show how the monsters were misunderstood and that humans were the real monsters by basically eradicating the nightbreed and sending them into hiding. I found that the monsters served no real purpose other than to drop by and drop one-liners that are supposed to be "cool". While I'm on the topic of good guys and bad guys,
the real antagonist of this film is Boone. If he never came to Midian in the first place the nightbreed would be living just as well as they had before his arrival. I believe they were quite ok with their "lives" before Boone came to them. Somehow he is supposed to be looked on as this great savior Cabal, when all that he ever brought to the nightbreed was a slew of problems that were not wanted. Even by the end of the film the nightbreed are hanging out in a barn waiting for him to take them to their new home. It feels unearned, and to be honest, it's bullshit.

There were plenty of things I found to like in this movie. I really was fond of the mythology that was set up and thought it carried much potential. The love story aspect worked for me as well, at least for the first hour or so. The best thing the film has going for it is David Cronenberg's portrayal of the slasher villain Decker. His design is so damn good I'm considering trying to make it my halloween costume. His introduction was actually very scary and tense, I felt that the film made him less scary as it went on, but all in all his character is a success. This was one of those kind of films that felt like it didn't have enough runtime to do what is set out to, but at the same time was too long. I've heard rumblings that a tv series of Nightbreed is being considered, if this happens I hope the material falls in the right persons hands. I honestly do believe there is quite a lot of potential to be found in the source material, but Clive Barker isn't the one who should execute it on Screen.

4/10

5. Zombie

"When the earth spits up the dead, they will come to back to suck the blood from the living."

I'm going to keep this short and sweet. Now this is a film that exceeded my expectations as I've read plenty of average impressions of it over the years. Speaking of which, this has been on my "watch" list probably since the first 31 days of horror, it seems that i'm making a point this year to clear out my horror bucket list. This is actually my first Lucio Fulci film, and I'll be seeing him again before this month is over. I'm not sure what it is with this Italian director's, but man they have an eye for film. Zombie is absolutely stunning, and the tropical setting was a nice change of pace for what we are usually served in the horror genre. I've heard Fulci referred to as "the godfather of gore" and he did not disappoint in that department. I had already been made aware of the infamous eye scene in this film, and it lived up to it's reputation along with the rest of the gore in this film. It was also nice to see a different approach to the design of the zombies themselves. This was released one year from Dawn of the Dead, and while I love the effects of that film, Lucio Fulci's zombies ditch the blue/grey makeup and go for a more straight from the grave kind of look. These zombies are decayed, are infested with maggots and worms, and are covered in dirt and grime. Of course hardly any film is perfect, and I did have a few issues with Zombie. These include a little too much of characters standing around just waiting to be attacked (that's a horror trope that has always bugged me), and some wonky editing in the finale. There was one shot that was repeated three or four times in a row. I know repeating shots is often used in film editing, but give me a break Fulci. To wrap this up: beautiful cinematography, hot women, incredible gore, 4 stars, go check it out. (I miss you Joebob).

One more thing, the shark vs. zombie scene was amazing, how in the hell did they film that?

8/10

fHx1q5r.png

This wasn't very original. Another horror flick with a "spooky" long haired ghost girl. There's a twist with potential near the end but it's too little, too late.

OP

Zombi 2 is amazing. I have no idea how they actually filmed the shark scene, but a fun bit of trivia:

The original actor that was supposed to play the underwater zombie got sick at the last minute and had ro be replaced with the shark trainer.

Yeah, I'd be "sick" too if I had to fight a shark.

Sagroth

Day 7 - Tremors 5: Bloodline (via Netflix)

300px-Tremors5artwork.jpg

I was a little apprehensive going into Tremors 5 as I didn't care for the last two Tremors movies (Back to Perfection and The Legend Begins) and this one also happens to co-star Jaime Kennedy who I found to be tolerable in Scream 1 & 2, but nothing else. So I went into this movie with low expectations and well, after watching it I gotta say I really enjoyed it despite the (imo) bad CGI creatures (it's kinda along the same lines as the CGI shriekers in Tremors 2 & 3) and occasionally horrific bad jokes. Also oddly enough one of the things I enjoyed about this movie are the (imo) few moments where Jaime Kennedy is not only tolerable, but actually kinda likable and kinda funny also the redesigned @$$blasters & Grabboids are imo kinda bad@$$ looking despite the bad CGI.

For my watch list/thoughts on the movies I watched on days 1 - 6 please see my OP

Just watched this two days ago, and I agree with you entirely. My spouse and I were both surprised by how decent this was(and not hating Jamie Kennedy for once). Surprisingly decent sequel.

9 – Wake Wood

“I had such a strange dream...”

kAbFNUl.png

This interesting if not particularly original slice of modern Irish folk horror stars Timothy Spall as Arthur, the Wake Wood village patriarch who oversees a ritual in which the recently deceased can be brought back to life for three days to say their final goodbyes.

Spall is his usual fantastic self, and Aidan Gillen and Eva Birthistle are excellent as the grieving parents so desperate to see their nine year old daughter Alice again that they’re willing to bend the rules of the ritual just a little bit. Equally good is Ella Connolly as Alice, who produces just the right combination of sweet and sinister as she struggles to come to terms with her resurrection.

It’s a subtle, slow-burning film that’s big on atmosphere and low on scares, and despite an unexpectedly bloody last act (and a well disguised twist at the death) it still feels more like a TV movie than a big screen affair.

Verdict: Low key and not as spooky as it ought to be, but definitely worth a watch.

NIGHT-

Pre October

1. Unfriended
2. The Gift
3. Poltergeist Remake
4. The Visit
5. The Strangers

October

1. Joyride
2. The Faculty
3. The Fog(carpenter )
4. Dusk Till Dawn
5.Misery
6. Prom Night original
7.Christine
8. Body bags
9. Gremlins
10. Insidious
11. House of wax 3D
12. Burnt Offerings

20. Tales From The Dark 2 (2013)

Man, what a dissapontment.

This one had three more stories. First is Pillow, which is about a crazy girlfriend who encounters a strange pillow. I quite enjoyed this one and probably was my favorite. Second is Hide and Seek, a group of graduate students romp around an old abandoned elementary school. Lots of good imagery, ending was a miss. Third is Black Umbrella, which an old man encounters a prostitute. I liked it up until the ending, which was a gore fest.

Overall I still think the film is good. If you enjoy modern horror with jump scares and gore, you will like this movie. However, it does not provoke much thought/emotion like the first. I am mostly sadden how this film did not challenge modern horror film making. That is why I give it 3 Spooky Asian Ghosts out of 5

Extra Credit round up - Hemlock Grove Season One

“You sound like the world’s dumbest owl right now.”

0Gaiz3X.png

So, instead of doing double bills whenever I got the time, this year I decided to catch up on some horror TV that I haven’t seen yet. With the third and final season of Hemlock Grove coming to Netflix on the 23rd, I thought it would be fun to try and watch the whole three seasons in one month. I knew nothing about it going in, other than Eli Roth’s name was attached, and there were werewolves involved.

I finished season 1 last night, and I enjoyed it a lot. It’s an entertaining story, the werewolf transformations are excellent, and there’s some good gore. Though I’m still trying to digest everything that happened in the frankly bonkers finale, my only real complaint is some of the most interesting characters – the beautifully monstrous Shelley, the mad doctor, the unfortunate twins - seemed to be ones that didn’t get that much screen time. That’s only a minor quibble though, and probably not as much of a problem as Christina the novelist’s terrible, terrible silver wig.

The acting overall was pretty sound. Famke Janssen is fantastic as the rich bitch all the townsfolk love to hate, and Lily Taylor is even better as the gypsy hero’s mum. My inner Battlestar Galactica fanboy loved the Dee and Chief reunion, (plus the whole Shelley Godfrey/Shelly Godfrey thing), but I still haven’t worked out if Roman is awesome or an idiot, or indeed if Bill Skarsgard can even act. I think he can. Most of the time. The only one definitely letting the side down is the normally dependable Dougray Scott; he’s just not convincing at all in this for some reason.

Overall, however, I’m really looking forward to what Season 2 has to offer.

matt360

Hey ThirstyFly, have you done your write-up for The Editor yet?

I've fallen behind due to some real life horror at work, with a co-worker getting himself arrested on some pretty fucked up charges. But I did manage two more today.

#7 - The Babadook
yniEZRTm.jpg

I've heard lots and lots of good things about this movie, and Netflix has certainly helped to popularize it. To start, there were a lot of things that I really liked about this movie. The mom and son were great, and so were all of the supporting characters. The whole "are they or aren't they" in regards to the mom/son being crazy or there actually being a monster was pretty intriguing at first. I thought the build-up of tension and the further escalation once certain things are revealed was really well done. But the climax and ending fell absolutely flat for me.
I mean, the mom defeats the Babadook by shouting at it. That is incredibly lame. And then she ends up keeping it, like a pet?
So yeah, I really did not like the ending. And while the tension buildup was good, there was nothing scary about this movie. Even the minor jump scares did absolutely nothing for me. Overall I would say that this movie is good, but not great. I maybe missed something, but I don't see why people are so high on this movie.

#8 - The Thing (1982)
SKrxMnbm.jpg

Now this was right up my alley. This was actually the first time I've seen this movie, and it was fantastic. Amazing practical effects. They don't look real, but they are still creepy and gross and just plain fun to look at. It must have been awesome working on the different monsters for this movie. There really isn't too much else to say that hasn't already been said, and I know I'm way late to the party for not having watched it until now. But if you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend it.

7. The Beast With Five Fingers. A surprisingly creepy tale about a crazy pianist who dies and then his severed hand appears to be going around killing people. It's mostly pretty light and charming until the middle of the movie when it suddenly becomes quite eerie due to a delightfully unhinged performance by the bug-eyed Peter Lorre, and some wonderful photography and lighting to make the most of the dark, gothic mansion setting. I enjoyed the turns of the story and how the material was handled, but the movie ends in a bizarre note with a character addressing the camera directly with a severed hand gag. Straight looney tunes stuff. Although, after learning the studio forced the director to make this movie I assumed it was because he thought the idea of a severed hand killing people was nonsense, so he through this knowing wink at the audience. Either way it is a totally goofy note to end on that doesn't suit the film at all. Besides that, if you can wait a little for the spooky stuff to get going (although it's not a long film, at just under 90 minutes), I think it's a very enjoyable classic Hollywood gothic horror film with a fun premise.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I've fallen behind due to some real life horror at work, with a co-worker getting himself arrested on some pretty fucked up charges. But I did manage two more today.

#7 - The Babadook
yniEZRTm.jpg

I've heard lots and lots of good things about this movie, and Netflix has certainly helped to popularize it. To start, there were a lot of things that I really liked about this movie. The mom and son were great, and so were all of the supporting characters. The whole "are they or aren't they" in regards to the mom/son being crazy or there actually being a monster was pretty intriguing at first. I thought the build-up of tension and the further escalation once certain things are revealed was really well done. But the climax and ending fell absolutely flat for me.
I mean, the mom defeats the Babadook by shouting at it. That is incredibly lame. And then she ends up keeping it, like a pet?
So yeah, I really did not like the ending. And while the tension buildup was good, there was nothing scary about this movie. Even the minor jump scares did absolutely nothing for me. Overall I would say that this movie is good, but not great. I maybe missed something, but I don't see why people are so high on this movie.

#8 - The Thing (1982)
SKrxMnbm.jpg

Now this was right up my alley. This was actually the first time I've seen this movie, and it was fantastic. Amazing practical effects. They don't look real, but they are still creepy and gross and just plain fun to look at. It must have been awesome working on the different monsters for this movie. There really isn't too much else to say that hasn't already been said, and I know I'm way late to the party for not having watched it until now. But if you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend it.

Babadook spoilers:
The Babadook is a personification of the mother's grief over the loss of her husband. Everything the Babadook does represents the impact of the loss of the husband. Keeping it as a pet represents the fact that you never really lose the grief, but you can start to manage it.

ThatManTy

Neo Member
12. The Human Centipede 2 (Full Sequence) (2011): I saw the first one last year and was somewhat disappointed because there was nothing actually in the movie that came close to being as messed up as the idea itself. This one goes a long way in rectifying that. Of course it pushes it to such absurd levels that by the time you get to barbed wire rape and stomped baby you are just laughing about the whole thing. The most legitimately disturbing aspect of the movie was the family dynamic between Martin and his mother. The movie looked and sounded good, and despite the brief appearance the doctor came close to knocking Martin down as the MVP. Recommended if you're looking for some body horror with laughs.

Cheers to that. I loved this trashy flick, and I almost threw up within the first 10 mins the first time I tried to watch it.

Expect to laugh a lot at the film's expense. It's such a blatant Jaws ripoff.

Haha, yea... had a nice grin on my face a few times during the movie.

Finally watched cabin in the woods

Great movie besides the ending

Does anyone have any recommendations for movies similar to trick r treat

You mean anthology, or Halloween themed, or both? Lots of recs already, but if you don't mind watching low budget cheese, there's also Shock-O-Rama, Chillerrama (not related), and Terror Tract.

Just watched this two days ago, and I agree with you entirely. My spouse and I were both surprised by how decent this was(and not hating Jamie Kennedy for once). Surprisingly decent sequel.

Agreed, as well.

#5 Tremors 5 not bad at all. CGI ranged from decent to terrible. The general aesthetic remains, despite the country shift. I actually hope the story continues with Burt and his partner. 7/10

#6 Grizzly hmm, Jaws rip, with a side of cheese. Explains why I enjoyed the characters. Was aight. Nothing more, really. 6/10

matt360

Babadook spoilers:
The Babadook is a personification of the mother's grief over the loss of her husband. Everything the Babadook does represents the impact of the loss of the husband. Keeping it as a pet represents the fact that you never really lose the grief, but you can start to manage it.

I figured it was something along those lines when
the mom goes into the basement and the Babadook presented itself to her as her dead husband.
It makes sense and everything, but I guess I was hoping for something a bit more terrifying. But I understand that this is meant to be a psychological horror first and foremost. I just wish the scares had a bit more meat on them. Kinda like The Descent. That's a nice mix of psychological horror with great tension and great scares. But I don't want to sound like I'm really down on the movie. I really did like it a lot, aside from the ending.

Blader

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
Damn, that was pretty good. The original still edges it out for me, but the effects and sets were even more impressive here, some of the kills were more imaginative (like Freddy's heroin needle fingers), I liked the group dynamic of the cast, and there are some interesting ideas at play here -- like the shared dream space being a recreation of Nancy's house, or
needing to lay Freddy's remains to rest to finally stop him.
Also really liked how they re-integrated Nancy and her father back into the story, along with introducing a bunch of new people, even though Heather Langenkamp -- only three years older from the first movie -- doesn't really pass as a six-year-older psychologist.

lordxar

+1 was good. Not sure its horror exactly. Has horror elements but not...horror. I give it two replicants and two originals for a score.

Not yet. I'm really conflicted on it and not sure what I want to say about it. I really want to give it a second watch but I haven't had a chance. I might try to squeeze in listening to the commentary first too.

I'll probably do my write up today though because it's making me fall behind.

Akahige

October 9:

Survival of the Dead (2009)
- Almost complete & utter shit, worst of the George A. Romero Living Dead series. The characters are sometimes likable but the dialogue is iffy 85% of the time, the acting boarders between alight for a b-movie to not even alright for a soap opera. The film looks very flat, no real personality, the effects are quite bad, CGI when ever possible, & the make up for zombies was quite poor, with little to none most of the time.
Today is double feature day for me and I'm at a loss regarding what I should watch. Any hidden gems on Netflix?
Ravenous, more black comedy than horror but it fits the bill to me.

11. Prince of Darkness-I had never seen this film all in one sitting. Now that I have, it's amazing. It's one of those horror films that scares you even more if you've had any sort of religious upbringing or still believe in Christianity. It's a slow-burning film, and I loved the ending. One of Carpenter's creepiest films. 8/10

tav7623

9. Fright Night (1985, watched 10/9/15 on Encore) - This was another movie I originally didn't intend to watch for this marathon, but it was on TV (Encore) and I hadn't picked out my movie for that day so f@$k I decided to watch it. Overall I'm glad I did as I felt (while watching it) like I was re discovering a forgotten gem and by the time the final act (which was/is my favorite part of the movie) rolled around had me itchin to finally pick it up on Blu Ray, hopefully it will get the Scream Factory treatment (or perhaps the An American Werewolf in London treatment and get the newly produced indie documentary about the movie that's due by the end of the year added as a bonus feature) soon as the blu ray (at least according to Amazon) is too damn expensive ($130) for my tastes.

Aiii

So not worth it
Movie #01: Chakushin ari a.k.a. One Missed Call (2003) - 3/5 Stars
Movie #02: Cropsey (2009) - 3.5/5 Stars
Movie #03: Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) - 4.5/5 Stars
Movie #04: Starry Eyes (2014) - 3.5/5 Stars
Movie #05: Ôdishon a.k.a. Audition (1999) - 4/5 Stars
Movie #06: Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (2010) - 2.5/5 Stars
Movie #07: Haunter (2013) - 4/5 Stars
Movie #08: The Den (2013) - 3/5 Stars
Movie #09: Sinister (2012) - 4.5/5 Stars
Movie #10: The Conjuring (2013) - 5/5 Stars

e0182865_9565698ypsdo.png

Movie #11: House at the End of the Street (2012)

This movie was boring, but at least the acting was decent. Typical girl-next-door horror story, with a twist. Nothing special, probably the worst film I’ve watched this run. The only times I got “scared” were LOUD NOISES. Which is not what horror should be about. I’ll give it an extra half star for J-Law, but that’s as far as I’ll go.

1.5 J-Law in a tank-top out of 5

9. Fright Night (1985, watched 10/9/15 on Encore) - This was another movie I originally didn't intend to watch for this marathon, but it was on TV (Encore) and I hadn't picked out my movie for that day so f@$k I decided to watch it. Overall I'm glad I did as I felt (while watching it) like I was re discovering a forgotten gem and by the time the final act (which was/is my favorite part of the movie) rolled around had me itchin to finally pick it up on Blu Ray, hopefully it will get the Scream Factory treatment (or perhaps the An American Werewolf in London treatment and get the newly produced indie documentary about the movie that's due by the end of the year added as a bonus feature) soon as the blu ray (at least according to Amazon) is too damn expensive ($130) for my tastes.

That was one of those Twilight time releases. They only make a limited supply of each bluray they release, as a result they often sell out fast and the prices get jacked up online. Christine and The Blob are two more titles they released, luckily Sony got the rights back to Christine (which resulted in a new Tennessee) so hopefully the rights for the other two go to a different studio as well.

kunonabi

Movie #9: Legacy of Blood(1971)
Hulu

I decided to have some company while I watched a horror flick so to watch one presented by the Mistress of the Dark, Elvira.

The movie starts out with the reading of a will that basically demands that a bunch of estranged siblings have to live in their late father's house for a week to get their inheritance. Simple enough, but the inheritance will be divided up between the siblings who survive. This is basically sets up a slasher flick with lots of dialogue, barely any plot, and a decent kill or too. It ends with a double twist ending followed by the film breaking the 4th wall and circus music over the credits. It was a total waste of time aside from Elvira and some excellent cleavage from her and the younger sister from the film. So in a way it turned out better than I expected.

Watch the Elvira movie instead.

Top Bottom