• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 is revisiting Halo: The Master Chief Collection - at last!

Mohlman

Neo Member
343 Industries stayed silent on Halo MCC for over 1000+ days...

And are now finally updating this broken mess of a game.

I can never forgive 343 Industries, and Microsoft for releasing Halo MCC in the state it was in at launch.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
No, absolutely not.

Regardless of how ambitious you think it is (Hint, demo discs with several game engines were a thing you know) the fact that it was knowingly released in a completely broken state, made barely semi functional months later and now years later they're having another go at it (with zero reason to believe they will succeed mind you), no. that deserves no respect. Respect would be deserved for their "ambitious" product if it was launched in a perfectly functional state with a bare minimum of hiccups and any major issues fixed rapidly.

That ship sailed many moons ago and it fell off the edge of the earth already. 343 is akin to a steam greenlight indie dev but with a lot more money to throw around and an already well established franchise to drag through the mud.
Video games are serious business!

Tell em how you really feel, broooo! Don't hold back! Damn. All that over a video game?!? Crazy....

I can never forgive 343 Industries, and Microsoft for releasing Halo MCC in the state it was in at launch.
If they actually fix the game and it functions as it was originally intended, you dont have to forgive them. You can simply play the game while still holding a grudge. Problem solved!😆

Codes 208

Thats not true. 343i has heen discussing mcc a lot in the last several months through their waypoint updates.

Even months after launch, stinkles would keep trying to explain here on gaf why shit went down. The mcc was a turd, but its not because they didnt do anything about it, but because it was just too ambitious with too many differejt devs trying to get 4 games under one roof, multiplayer seamlessly included

So any clue as to wether Halo Reach, and Forward Unto Dawn/Legends will ever be include so that it's a TRUE masterchief collection?

Hotspurr

Banned
Looking forward to this and holding off on starting mcc. Going to co-op the whole thing with my partner. Sucks for early adopters but it was obviously far too ambitious a project. Still you're getting at least 4 great games as a single package. Sometimes the good comes with some bad parts.

EBE

H2A in 4k should look pretty nice.
really the only thing im excited about regarding the updates. multiplayer on anything before Halo 4 is ass nowadays, at least i cant get back into those titles

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Looking forward to the update. 4k H2A and H4 should look pretty sweet.

I imagine it's coming to PC as well. I can't imagine they are still putting in work unless they plan to get at least a little revenue back. Imagine it'll be XPA as well.

Codes 208

Looking forward to the update. 4k H2A and H4 should look pretty sweet.

I imagine it's coming to PC as well. I can't imagine they are still putting in work unless they plan to get at least a little revenue back. Imagine it'll be XPA as well.
There's been no suggestion or hint that it will. People really need to let this die, chances are you're not getting another Halo on PC until Halo 6

I wonder if 343 will mention anything about the master chief collection at e3. I'm thinking it would be better to not say anything and to keep working on it in the background. I'd love to get an eta on when it will be finished, but I don't think 343 wants to commit to any time frame.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
There's been no suggestion or hint that it will. People really need to let this die, chances are you're not getting another Halo on PC until Halo 6
Didn't Bonnie Ross say they heard the fans loud and clear about classic Halo on PC?

Calibos

This right here is a load of horse shit. They talked about and patched the shit out of this game for quite some time after it released trying to get it into working shape. Which they did. They also added Spartan Ops and ODST for early adopters as some form of penance. However, it was/is far from a perfect experience and the community died from word of mouth long before these things were implemented.

Now 343, as they should, are attempting to do it the right way and get their flagship franchise back in fighting shape. I was as annoyed as anyone to get what we got, but still managed to play almost a hundred hours of it. Les hope the relaunch of it can win back some of the jaded fans it lost.

I am excited to see if they bring some news to E3. From what they said on Waypoint, the first tests of the newly re-coded, re-designed Master Chief Collection went very well. Maybe we will finally get the 60fps Halos with %100 working multiplayer and co-op we all want!

This isn't something we're meant to forgive them over, so in that you are right.

But this is something I still demand. MCC will be a game I will be coming back to for a very long time, and at the very least they should fix this for us.

If they want to make this right, they need to do more. They should consider making MCC a free game, introducing it on PC, and providing updates to it as time goes (adding Reach etc...). This is a start in a very long list of things 343 need to work on to build our trust back as Halo devs

This right here is a load of horse shit. They talked about and patched the shit out of this game for quite some time after it released trying to get it into working shape. Which they did. They also added Spartan Ops and ODST for early adopters as some form of penance. However, it was/is far from a perfect experience and the community died from word of mouth long before these things were implemented.

Now 343, as they should, are attempting to do it the right way and get their flagship franchise back in fighting shape. I was as annoyed as anyone to get what we got, but still managed to play almost a hundred hours of it. Les hope the relaunch of it can win back some of the jaded fans it lost.

Why is it horse shit? This is a game that was launched in a totally unacceptable state, and we were charged full price, knowing full well how the game is. Multiplayer was totally broken for the first week or two, and it was very dodgy for the next several months. It took almost a year to even get it in a stable state, but still it was buggy and glitchy.

I had the game crash on me a few times during Halo 2 legendary, it's already hard enough without these fucking issues.

Yes they are making an attempt to fix their mistakes, but that doesn't absolve them of their actions, and they have a mountain to climb to gaining our full on trust

Last edited:

rokkerkory

I don't know about this

Calibos

Why is it horse shit? This is a game that was launched in a totally unacceptable state, and we were charged full price, knowing full well how the game is. Multiplayer was totally broken for the first week or two, and it was very dodgy for the next several months. It took almost a year to even get it in a stable state, but still it was buggy and glitchy.

I had the game crash on me a few times during Halo 2 legendary, it's already hard enough without these fucking issues.

Yes they are making an attempt to fix their mistakes, but that doesn't absolve them of their actions, and they have a mountain to climb to gaining our full on trust

Saying that they "stayed silent for 1000+" days is factually false and the type of misinformation that leads to the perpetuation of lies on the internet. Following that up with "I can't forgive them" is also just plain silly hyperbole to me.

The game was factually fucked up at launch and they have admitted as much. It was in "better" shape a month later and in even "better" shape before Halo 5 launched, then things went quiet on the support front. They have also owned up to that. Now they are trying to fix it and re-launch it in proper shape which I kind of can't believe, but I also think is really awesome that they are attempting to win back some mind-share this far after launch. I uninstalled it months ago because I was so annoyed with it, but I am now trying hard to get into the "flighting" program to help out on feedback instead of wallowing in the hate for it.

My co-workers and I have been constantly talking about playing it again, so if 343 can get it running great, I will "forgive" them too I guess.

Saying that they "stayed silent for 1000+" days is factually false and the type of misinformation that leads to the perpetuation of lies on the internet. Following that up with "I can't forgive them" is also just plain silly hyperbole to me.

The game was factually fucked up at launch and they have admitted as much. It was in "better" shape a month later and in even "better" shape before Halo 5 launched, then things went quiet on the support front. They have also owned up to that. Now they are trying to fix it and re-launch it in proper shape which I kind of can't believe, but I also think is really awesome that they are attempting to win back some mind-share this far after launch. I uninstalled it months ago because I was so annoyed with it, but I am now trying hard to get into the "flighting" program to help out on feedback instead of wallowing in the hate for it.

My co-workers and I have been constantly talking about playing it again, so if 343 can get it running great, I will "forgive" them too I guess.

Fair enough, I think he was just exaggerating this point as it did take quite a long time to fully admit there was deep lying issues with the game.

But its very silly for us to paint this as anything but a black mark on 343's history. Them attempting to win us back by sorting this game out isnt something I should be thankful for, but something that is expected.
I appreciate that they could have just left it but instead they decided to double down and put more money into fixing it, but I'm not gonna act thankful for it.

I like 343 as a company and love Halo even more, and I can move on if they manage to fix it.

This isn't something we're meant to forgive them over, so in that you are right.

But this is something I still demand...

If they want to make this right, they need to do more...

This is a start in a very long list of things 343 need to work on to build our trust back as Halo devs...

Yes they are making an attempt to fix their mistakes, but that doesn't absolve them of their actions, and they have a mountain to climb to gaining our full on trust...

But its very silly for us to paint this as anything but a black mark on 343's history. Them attempting to win us back by sorting this game out isnt something I should be thankful for, but something that is expected...

I appreciate that they could have just left it but instead they decided to double down and put more money into fixing it, but I'm not gonna act thankful for it...

I like 343 as a company and love Halo even more, and I can move on if they manage to fix it.
Come on man. What is this? There was a time for being upset and holding petty grudges, but this is not that time. Youve taken self entitlement to a whole new level. You have no clue how difficult developing a game is and the pressure that is on a company to get a game out the door - even i dont fully. 343 tried to pull off the most ambitious collection of games ever made, and yeah they fell short. They didnt do it purposefully or as a personal attack on you or your family.

The level of transparency and the amount of time and effort spent on fixing tmcc is unprecedented. Please name me one example of a game where the devs have put this much time into not only correcting a bug ridden game post release, but improving what it was originally meant to be.

343 doesnt grovel.

Sucked that it was in such rough shape when it launched but they certainly put work in to get it into a better state. I don't really care about the multiplayer that much at all (other than just wanting to revisit CE) so I wasn't really affected very much. Coop was good to go from the start. That being said I hope they really get it humming because it's such an ambitious project and a great collection of games.

Codes 208

It just occurred to me that 6 will likely launch in '19 and this update may be their excuse for a Halo game this year to bide our time till then. I really hope thats not the case. Especially since we didnt get Halo 3 Anni last year.
Didn't Bonnie Ross say they heard the fans loud and clear about classic Halo on PC?
That was a non-answer. And im pretty sure she said that years ago.

Mohlman

Neo Member
If 343 Industries want to redeem MCC, they need to port it to PC, put it on Steam, add Halo Reach to the collection, and allow mod support...

Given the disastrous launch... Honestly the worst launch in video-game history, is sub-par, and not enough to earn support from the die-hard Halo fans such as myself, who have had their faith/trust tarnished due to 343's decisions.

Mohlman

Neo Member

I am excited to see if they bring some news to E3. From what they said on Waypoint, the first tests of the newly re-coded, re-designed Master Chief Collection went very well. Maybe we will finally get the 60fps Halos with %100 working multiplayer and co-op we all want!

The last update for Halo MCC is the 30th of May 2015 as per this source:
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo:_The_Master_Chief_Collection_Title_Updates

That means that 343 Industries have been silent for 931 days, as they announced they would finally be fixing Halo MCC on October 17th 2017...

I may of missed the mark by 69 days, so I apologise for my hyperbole of 1000+ days, but never the less, the fact that it's taken 343 Industries over 900 days to respond to fans concerns of MCC is disgraceful.

Not to mention that they did not decide to release an update for MCC due to caring about the fans, it's most likely due to the Xbox One X release, and having a 4K title for the XBX game library.

Last edited:

TheWatcher

Banned
I agree with both the people ripping 343 and those defending them. On one hand, the treatment of this franchise (Xbox's flagship game) was downright deplorable and should have had financial consequences, on the other, as an Xbox One X owner I applaud them for updating it. I wouldn't shed a tear if most of the team was gutted at 343. Bonnie Ross is the Kathleen Kennedy of video games.

Tough crowd. We can moan and groan about it all or we can appreciate that it is at least being worked on. I love complaining. Its in my nature but im done beating a dead horse. 343 could have let the game die and they chose not to. End of storyn regardless of what their motives are behind it. Im beyond hyped that this game is going to be what it was meant to be. Worth all the wait in the world to me.

Terce

Tough crowd. We can moan and groan about it all or we can appreciate that it is at least being worked on. I love complaining. Its in my nature but im done beating a dead horse. 343 could have let the game die and they chose not to. End of storyn regardless of what their motives are behind it. Im beyond hyped that this game is going to be what it was meant to be. Worth all the wait in the world to me.
Did they really choose not to? Or did they want to play politics and try to save their name before announcing the next 343 developed title so people will "trust" them again?

Did they really choose not to? Or did they want to play politics and try to save their name before announcing the next 343 developed title so people will "trust" them again?
I trust them because i played the master chief collection at launch and had minimal issues. I know i was one of the lucky few though. I trust them because i played halo 5 and saw that it has a lot of potential.

In the end though does it really matter? It is getting the special treatment and id rather it get finished due to selfish motives over it not getting finished because of some moral high ground.

What is there to distrust? Most people understand that tmcc was an ambitious project. It didnt release with a bunch of bugs because 343 is a bad developer. If you played halo 4 you know their game worked just fine. If you played halo 5 you know that game also worked just fine and was a huge improvement over 4. I think we need to stop acting like the tmcc is some sort of reason to distrust 343. They wanted to make the master chief collection, which ended up having issues. But it is getting fixed most likely because 343 still wants it to be the game they intended it to be. Im willing to believe that even if in ignorance. However, I think 343 truly loves halo.

And what are the other alternatives? Tmcc never gets fixed and 343 stop making halo games? No thanks. Im gonna wait for halo 6 and the fixed tmcc before i lose faith in 343. If halo 6 flops then im willing to have open discussions about what is best for halo. I think 343 would be open to the same discussions too.

Last edited:

Calibos

The last update for Halo MCC is the 30th of May 2015 as per this source:
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo:_The_Master_Chief_Collection_Title_Updates

That means that 343 Industries have been silent for 931 days, as they announced they would finally be fixing Halo MCC on October 17th 2017...

I may of missed the mark by 69 days, so I apologise for my hyperbole of 1000+ days, but never the less, the fact that it's taken 343 Industries over 900 days to respond to fans concerns of MCC is disgraceful.

Not to mention that they did not decide to release an update for MCC due to caring about the fans, it's most likely due to the Xbox One X release, and having a 4K title for the XBX game library.

https://twinfinite.net/2017/01/343-...ief-collection-problems-could-still-be-fixed/

So half of 2015 and all of 2016 it wasn't talked about. Which coincides with Halo 5's limelight. It was updated and worked on for 6 months and an entire game, ODST and a mode, Spartan Ops, was thrown in for free to stem the bleeding. Once Halo 5 was coming the studio had to shift focus. 343 was the captain of a 4 studio effort to create Master Chief collection and they rushed it out because the Xbox brand was bleeding out from it's launch.

This is all semantics and petty though, which is what I was trying to point out in a way. It's been nearly 4 years and the game should be dead proper, but 343 have been allowed to go back and attempt to fix it themselves. I hope they can succeed so we can get the MCC we deserve and want.

Why is it good in any way to continue to be negative 4 years later? 2 years later? At all?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I fully understand why some people are still pissed, but being mad still at this point after they announce they are gonna fix it seems silly to me.

Yea, it never should have happened and it fully is a black eye on the series. But them fixing it even this far into the future is better than nothing. The scenario is a bit different in that if Microsoft wasn't recently pushing BC and the idea of having all software compatible, we might never have gotten these fixes, but I look at something like Creed: Unity and this seems not nearly as offensive.

I still refuse to buy a Creed game day 1 after Unity. That game was truly broken and unplayable at many times. Even with their "fix" it still ran like crap and they just never fixed it. Ever. They just moved on said sorry heres some free DLC. DLC for your broken game doesn't help me in the slightest.

With Malo: MCC I did for sure have Matchmaking issues, but I was able to play it and while frustrating at times, the good outweighs the bad.

thats awesome news. That should decrease the size of the download for people who arent interested in playing all the games.

I saw others saying that menu shot could also indicate reach will be added to the collection but i have serious doubts about that happening.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Do you guys think that it will be visible to see the one x update on a 1080p screen? I’ve been able to see it on a lot other games.

Halo 2 sure looks mighty fine with the latest early MCC beta and it's clearly running at a much higher res on the X. Visually it's a huge upgrade from the smudgy 900p of the original.

FYI: these pics aren't mine and the res of them isn't native, AFAIK. I just thought that I'd share them as no one else here is (... and I personally think that it looks brilliant). Bring on the new free Master Chief Collection update!

yjRbSaJ.jpg

E9e3FBA.jpg
E38Q4Oa.jpg

Some more MCC beta update pics (Halo 4):

3mrvozm.jpg

HCYGAT7.jpg

uDd1N3m.jpg

Halo Infinite is going to look ridiculously good on the X. It's a good time to have an Xbone X!

Edit... Everytime I see Cortana's ass in Halo 4:

JMaGxcQ.gif

(pre-orders Halo Infinite)

Last edited:
I will definitely be giving the campaigns another play through in 4K.

I don't think I've played them since the MCC first came out.

I wonder if them getting elbows deep in the MCC is helping them out with Infinite's style.. since it seems to be themed more like the original games.

Muffdraul

All I know is that I'm not touching the MCC version of Halo 1 again until they patch in an option for the original sound effects.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Nice to see they are finally finishing the MCC. Now, just put it on Gamepass.

Halo Infinite is going to look ridiculously good on the X. It's a good time to have an Xbone X!
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, that game is years away. Next gen away.

Last edited:

Vasto

Next Xbox Halo MCC Test Phase Open to All Insiders; Might Open Next Week

The next Halo MCC test phase will be open to all Master Chief Collection insiders, community director at 343 Industries, Brian Jarrard, has announced.

Jarrard, who is known by his alias ‘Ske7ch’, announced the news through a new post on the Halo MCC forums. A new Insider Flight build went live yesterday for those who participated in Test Flight 1 & 2, and includes the entirety of Halo MCC – a hefty 65.82GB download.

https://wccftech.com/next-xbox-halo-mcc-test-open-insiders/

They said it would relese in summer and Its July now, taking 3+ years to fix a broken game lol good job 343

Summer ends Sept 22nd. Lots of time to make that release promise.

As for the 3+ years it has taken, yea, I agree. But I gotta give them credit for fixing the mess that was made (although I pretty much only care about the campaigns, so I thoroughly enjoyed the MCC).

Last edited:
Summer ends Sept 22nd. Lots of time to make that release promise.

As for the 3+ years it has taken, yea, I agree. But I gotta give them credit for fixing the mess that was made (although I pretty much only care about the campaigns, so I thoroughly enjoyed the MCC).
Even the campaign was broken for me. I can't tell you how many times I would try to boot up the game only for it to freeze on the title screen. I do not have faith in them as a company to deliever on Halo Infinite.

Calibos

Pretty excited for this to be nearing it’s relaunch and from what I have been hearing from the youtubers, 343i is nailing it down and polishing it up.

I have been playing the Halo 3 throwback playlist in Halo 5 recently and it has me salivating to dive back into the MCC. It’s just better than every other shooter out there IMO and very unique in today’s gaming climate.

People floating around here being salty and holding grudges are ridiculous...it’s an amazing game series and 343 is the only team to handle it. The MCC is coming back and Halo Infinite is on the horizon...

Halo is ALIVE!

Even the campaign was broken for me. I can't tell you how many times I would try to boot up the game only for it to freeze on the title screen. I do not have faith in them as a company to deliever on Halo Infinite.
i feel like the issues with tmcc go beyond 343. It would have been hard for any company to deliver. Now if you didnt like halo 5 then that's a different story. For me however I think halo 5 is a reason for optimism in 343. Im excited for tmcc getting fixed and look forward to play some old school halo.

Top Bottom