• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 is revisiting Halo: The Master Chief Collection - at last!

This update caught me by surprise! I'm only 30% through the 73gb download but I just jumped into Halo 1 for a quick go and the image quality is ridiculously good on the X. I love the snappy new menus too. I played through one campaign mission and wow, I'm impressed. I'm envious of anyone experiencing the original Halo trilogy for the first time this way.

It's brilliant that I can now play through all of the Halo campaigns in 4k before Infinite hits. Massive respect to the dev team for revisiting the MCC project; I've had to delve into old code before to fix legacy projects before and... ahem, it's not a great experience (I've actually intentionally moved on from a job because of this). Massive props to 343 for pushing through adversity and continuing to develop the MCC into what it should be :messenger_fistbump:.

My hype for Halo Infinite and respect for 343 has just been raised up another notch.

Last edited:

Vitacat

Played H3 campaign on hard for about 45 mins on my X. Looks amazing on my 4K HDR TV and frame rates seem smooth. Very nice.

Omg this game looks great now, but why are there no straight up Team Slayer playlists? I hate CTF.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-update

You can find all the patch notes in the OP link. Essentially, 343 is keeping the playlist small and will roll out additional playlists over time and as the population increases. Not sure why they don't have a regular slayer playlist, though.
In the coming days, as more players install the update, the title arrives on Xbox Game Pass, and the online population grows - MCC’s Matchmaking Playlists will expand to the following:

Social Playlists

• Team Slayer (H1 – H4 Team Slayer)*
  • Action Sack*
  • Crossplay BTB (H1 / H2C & H2A / H4)*
  • Halo: CE Team Arena
  • Halo 3 BTB
  • Halo 3 FFA
  • Halo 4 Team Arena
Ranked Playlists

• Halo: CE Team Doubles
  • Halo 2 Team Arena
  • Halo 2 Team Hardcore
  • Halo 2: Anniversary Team Arena
  • Halo 3 Team Doubles
  • Halo 3 Team Arena
  • Halo 3 Team Hardcore
*These playlists include cross-game offerings and require all four titles to be installed in order to join/play.

Later next month, the team will kick off a regular cadence of rotational playlists with different short-term experiences popping up for days or weeks at a time. Fan favorite niche game modes such as Infection, SWAT, Snipers and more are all slated to rotate in over the coming weeks and months.

The team is working out the final details and will share the plan here on Halo Waypoint in the near future. In the meantime, please share your feedback and playlist ideas and suggestions with us via the MCC Forum.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why this game is not listed in the X1X Enhanced games, even though the entire update (73GB) has been applied? Anyone else?

Mochilador

So I installed the update yesterday but now I can't play the game. It closes after showing the splash screen for a while.

Do you think we will have a new retail release after this huge update?

I'm interested in picking up the halo MCC collection but I have a very limited dataplan for downloading things (50 GB/month, currently) so I'd take a physical disk if possibile :pie_grinning_sweat:

Do you think we will have a new retail release after this huge update?

I'm interested in picking up the halo MCC collection but I have a very limited dataplan for downloading things (50 GB/month, currently) so I'd take a physical disk if possibile :pie_grinning_sweat:
That would be nice, but it doesn't seem very likely. Your best option for now is to install it piece by piece over several months. I want to say Halo 3's multiplayer is roughly a 9gb download and halo ce's isn't too bad either. Unfortunately, Halo 2's multiplayer also includes H2A, so it's a bit heftier. If you were able to download just those 3 sections, you'd have access to most of the multiplayer playlists. I always assume people aren't interested in playing Halo 4, but i know there are people who really enjoy it. Also, you could start bigger downloads at the end of the month based on how much data you have left over and then wait for the end of the following month to resume. Just keep using leftover data at the end of each month so it doesn't impact your regular internet use. But it is still gonna take several months to download with that approach, unfortunately.

Found download sizes for each game, but it doesn't break up multiplayer and campaign:
https://gearnuke.com/halo-master-chief-collection-new-update-download-size/
As for the download size, the cumulative download size after installing the update for the whole collection is around 86 GB. The individual download size is also listed below, in case you want to know how much hard disk space is required for your favorite Halo games. Halo ODST is not a part of this package but it has also received a small update today to coincide with this patch.

• Halo 1: 3.5 GB
  • Halo 2: 44.1 GB
  • Halo 3: 11.7 GB
  • Halo 4: 18.8 GB
  • Halo ODST: 8.2 GB
  • Total – 86.9 GB
If you want to pick the games to install for this update, go to Options > Settings > Gameplay > Change Installed Games and uncheck any games that you don’t want to install in the collection.
And, yeah, Halo 2 is the biggest offender lol.

Last edited:

Elite 2020

Neo Member
Do you mean a factory reset? I did restart my console but it did not solve the issue.
If nothing works then I'll reinstall the game.
Factory Reset?....no..no..no..lol. Hard reset. Hold the power button until it fully shuts off and then your back in business if you haven't got it to work yet.

Mochilador

Factory Reset?....no..no..no..lol. Hard reset. Hold the power button until it fully shuts off and then your back in business if you haven't got it to work yet.
I tried that a few times before but it did not fix the problem. I'm downloading it again. :goog_confounded:

Last edited:

Vtecomega

Banned
How big of a difference is Halo 2 and 3? Have they improved any visual effects? Or is it just a resolution bump to 4k and hdr?

Any comparison videos you guys recommend?

Holy crap the matchmaking is 100X faster I can get into games withing seconds when it used to take 5-7minutes sometimes just to get into one game.

About time! I will set it to download when I get back from work. I am just hoping I can play actually play a match without having to wait 10 minutes and then crashing back to home screen. Oh maybe actually get some kills without hit registration issue.

ultrazilla

So when I had the game installed initially and went to play it, something seemed "off". My brother said the same thing. I was skeptical the game had
actually updated with the Xbox One X/HDR enhancements. So what he and I ended up doing is deleting/uninstalling the game totally and then doing
a fresh install by looking it up on the Xbox store and re-downloading it.

Then we went into Halo 4 co-op. Holy shit, it looked and played beautiful in co-op. Simply jaw dropping. It takes a lot to impress me and the game looks
freaking amazing, especially for having been out for quite some time already. Now the little we did play of the first Halo and Halo 2(just jumping in to
check them out) we could tell immediately though they look nicer and "cleaner" that they have NOT aged well graphical fidelity wise in our opinion.

Now we know these games are "old" but I expected a bit better looking 4k/HDR upgrade to Halo and Halo 2(we didn't get around to Halo 3 yet so I can't
comment). Again though, Halo 4 was something else and really was the "show off" game if you're going to demo the collection for friends or family.

We also noticed some pretty jarring stutter/frame rate loss when things got hectic fighting the enemies in co-op in Halo 2. I've read 343 said they're still
actively working on patches for the game and I found the slow down/frame rate loss unacceptable, especially on the Xbox One X. So they still have work
to do on patches but so far, it seems pretty good compared to when I previously played the game pre-4k/HDR patch.

OK so holy fuck it fucking works do you fucking believe it how in the fuck is this not the story of the goddamn fucking year I can now actually matchmake.

I am playing Halo 2 multiplayer for the first time in 16 years and I think I may actually be crying in sheer joyful happiness.

Is there a Halo community section that’s still actually alive here? Somebody has got to wake those fuckers up from the slumber and tell them whats happened here. Fire up the goddamned presses you troglodyte fucks because HALO IS BACK.

Sweet fancy Moses this is truly special. You fuckwits who are firing this thing up for the first time don’t know how lucky you are. And you well weathered ram rods who’ve been baptized by the blood of combat know damn well what awaits.

I haven’t been this excited since I played Halo, CE online multiplayer using “xbconnect” for the first time.

Update: how fucking shiitake mushrooms the guardians just killed me. I love this this game. Why im the hell are all games not like this anymore?????

Last edited:

EDMIX

This, I loved Halo 1-3 but I have no intention of buying an Xbox1/1X for just this one series
same.

It would be like saying since I like COD1, 2 and 4 that I should buy a whole system for it LOL! Its like.....I liked a few of them, not enough to buy a system that has its main IP the same thing over and over again. I just want to play some CTF and relive some memories, but I'm just waiting for that PC release. LOVED the PC controls as Gearbox did an amazing job with that port.

Some IPs just die and its ok to move on. Like COD, its how I feel about Halo. I tried to care and play the new ones, but it was clear those days was over.

Some IPs just die and its ok to move on. Like COD, its how I feel about Halo. I tried to care and play the new ones, but it was clear those days was over.

Perhaps. Or conversely, maybe this is the spark that reignites the flame.... clearly 343 timed this patch release to build hype for Halo Infinite. Nothing happens in a vacuum anymore.

Thiagosc777

This is why the Xbox is not as popular in the rest of the world. You are basically treated as a second class citizen.

Titanfall 1 is still the best online experience on Xbox to this day. No region lock. You'd default to your own region, but you could easily switch whenever you wanted. And all games were on dedicated servers.

Last edited:

Elite 2020

Neo Member
So... How many of you who have Game Pass in particular going to dl and play some MCC? Today is the day it should be added if it is not already.

OK so holy fuck it fucking works do you fucking believe it how in the fuck is this not the story of the goddamn fucking year I can now actually matchmake.

I am playing Halo 2 multiplayer for the first time in 16 years and I think I may actually be crying in sheer joyful happiness.

Is there a Halo community section that’s still actually alive here? Somebody has got to wake those fuckers up from the slumber and tell them whats happened here. Fire up the goddamned presses you troglodyte fucks because HALO IS BACK.

Sweet fancy Moses this is truly special. You fuckwits who are firing this thing up for the first time don’t know how lucky you are. And you well weathered ram rods who’ve been baptized by the blood of combat know damn well what awaits.

I haven’t been this excited since I played Halo, CE online multiplayer using “xbconnect” for the first time.

Update: how fucking shiitake mushrooms the guardians just killed me. I love this this game. Why im the hell are all games not like this anymore?????

FFFFFFF!!!!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

16234.jpg

munroe

Just downloading the collection now, I thought you could choose what to install now? However it looks like it's downloading the full thing (73.78Gb)

Södy

Just downloading the collection now, I thought you could choose what to install now? However it looks like it's downloading the full thing (73.78Gb)

Once it is "ready to start" you can deselect some options in the main menu.

pawel86ck

Banned
I have seen halo 2 and 4 gameplay on youtube just a moment ago and I have to say HDR makes a huge difference in these games. Lighting literally looks 10x more real now, and especially halo 4 looks amazing in HDR.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

"...and they said this day would never come."
The game runs beautifully now. Matchmaking works. Worth the wait - the wait was actually irrelevant for games that will never get old. This series deserved it. These games are timeless.
I can safely say this collection is now the best multiplayer FPS money can buy.

I hope we get a full Big Team Battle playlist featuring all titles - im sure we will eventually.

Bar81

I'm focusing only on the SP for the moment and WOW. I'm a ways through Halo CE and it's just as good as I remember. The improvements in the graphics and the sound - the guns and the music - are just amazing. I'm still hanging on to my plasma so only 1080P. I can't imagine how good it looks in 4K with HDR. All we need now is Reach.

Vtecomega

Banned
How big of a difference is the update to the visuals? would you guys say its worth buying and xbox x over? I would mainly buying an x just for halo but not sure if its worth forking out $650.

I'm focusing only on the SP for the moment and WOW. I'm a ways through Halo CE and it's just as good as I remember. The improvements in the graphics and the sound - the guns and the music - are just amazing. I'm still hanging on to my plasma so only 1080P. I can't imagine how good it looks in 4K with HDR. All we need now is Reach.
Preach it.

Where the fuck is Reach.

And where the fuck is firefight, one of the best feature of any Halo game (we are missing two firefight modes: ODST's and Reach's).

All we have are those dumb spartan ops. I'm inclined to believe they've left out firefight so that players can't compare the two modes and realize how bad 343's understanding of Halo really is.

The MCC is awesome, though. I'm just hoping we get the full package, someday. Reach at 4k would be amazing.

Elite 2020

Neo Member
I have always had this strange assumption that the reason Halo Reach is not in the MCC is because when Bungie departed Microsoft they own the game engine and used it to make Destiny.

Maybe that's why ODST has had Firefight taken out as well. Of course I could be dead wrong lol.

I spent a good chunk of time playing TMCC the other night. My favorite games continue to be in the slayer playlist when CE maps come up. I wish 343 would add the CE Team Arena playlist soon.
I have always had this strange assumption that the reason Halo Reach is not in the MCC is because when Bungie departed Microsoft they own the game engine and used it to make Destiny.

Maybe that's why ODST has had Firefight taken out as well. Of course I could be dead wrong lol.
It makes sense that Reach and ODST aren't part of the collection if the collection is only supposed to include games with the Master Chief. Reach is focused on other spartans with the main character being Noble 6, and ODST is focused on orbital drop shock troopers. Not saying that I wouldn't enjoy having Reach and ODST Firefight included though.

"Xbox One X renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160 (4k)" @ 60fps.

343 nailed it. I momentarily stopped playing through Red Dead Redemption just to try out the new Master Chief Collection Xbone X update (and specifically Halo 2 remastered) and it looks ridiculously good on the X now. I ended up playing through all of Halo 1 and a few missions into Halo 2 on heroic over the weekend. It's so good. I wish that it launched this way. It saddens me that no one is going to play this. It's bloody great if you're a Halo fan. The Xbone X is now the definitive way to experience the entire Halo series. Happy times (y).

Last edited:
Top Bottom