• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 warns against rushing through Halo 5 campaign; could miss narrative details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugstable

Banned
Why is this forum so pessimistic lately? It really seems like everyone takes and runs with the worst possible interpretation of every bit of information we're given on a game...

And this is going to be literally every Halo topic on this forum. Kinda feel bad for anyone on here that is actually a Halo fan.

Don't even talk good about it or be positive, else you work for 343

Lol, well then, I was presuming that it showcases that there's more neat story details off the beaten path in the game (which I really enjoy) rather than it meaning "Game's super short, everything's told through terminals" like many are thinking here.

This is non-Halogaf gaming side Halo thread neogaf post-MCC and no splitscreen.gif

I sure hope it is this. I never played 4, loved the lore in the first 3, so looking forward to this if that is the case.
If you have never played Halo 4 it has by far the best campaign lore wise. First three aren't even close.

And this is going to be literally every Halo topic on this forum. Kinda feel bad for anyone on here that is actually a Halo fan.

Yeah I kind of wish mods would ban people that are very obviously shit posting.

VinFTW

Yeah, I'm sure there was tons of Halo discussion going on!

Come on. You know it wasn't just that thing that got the OT shut down.

Okay, regardless, that has nothing to do with 3/4's of the people in that OT. Anyways, go look at any other community thread.

Read my edit captain343

Wow, you're a nice person.

"Captain343" apparently

It's bigger and longer and nobody "warned" anyone and the thread title is comically misleading and everyone will ignore this post or scold me for not being clear enough and the bolded is spot on. It's about replayability and surprise.

Seems like everyone is just going to ignore this. I'm not sure if the majority of this forum is aware but Stinkles is Frank O'Connor, the franchise director. There's an immense amount of jumping to conclusions just off the thread title alone.

Jesus.

Bsigg12

This thread went exactly as expected after reading the title.

I plan on really taking my time and enjoying it like I have with every other Halo. If Hunt The Truth is any indication of potential, than it could be really good.

It's bigger and longer and nobody "warned" anyone and the thread title is comically misleading and everyone will ignore this post or scold me for not being clear enough and the bolded is spot on. It's about replayability and surprise.
Feel sorry that you have to read some of this.

Interested to know how that's realised, I assume it's more than terminals. Hope so anyway.

Abdiel

Threads like these make me glad I have no investment in this series/franchise. Cause holy it feels like there's no middle ground. Everyone's furious or blissful ecstasy/hope, and hard to get a good read between the two.

@_@

zychi

Banned

Its not Halo the brand's fault. Its the shit 343 has done to it. If a broken, lying, shit company was slowly ruining your favorite franchise, you'd be pissed too.

If Nintendo decided to make a Zelda collection, and a sequel that they sold to fans for $60, hyped it up as the second coming, and then disappeared when you couldnt even load the main menu, Nintendo fans would be pissed off too

Welfare

Read my edit captain343

JESUS

So glad GAF is a place to talk about Halo in a meaningful way where every thread in Gaming doesn't go down the shitter.

OT: This game doesn't even sound like it'll be small. Everything they showed so far leads me to think the opposite. This will be big.

Lingitiz

Glad to hear that it's a longer campaign. Pacing is important too. I can't see a decent story with 8 characters being told with the typical length of recent Halo games.

Threads like these make me glad I have no investment in this series/franchise. Cause holy it feels like there's no middle ground. Everyone's furious or blissful ecstasy/hope, and hard to get a good read between the two.

@_@
There are a lot of people that have never played Halo (or played it very little) just here to talk crap about it. It sucks but it is what it is.

Makes it hard to have any discussion.

Caayn

I'm a huge Halo fan, I've even got a life size statue of Master Chief, but it's hard for me to be positive of 343i. I've yet to enjoy their work on the games in the franchise so I remain sceptical. Not every Halo fan is positive or an optimist when it comes to 343i.

Gonna give Ready at Dawn a run for their money.
LjbN6ZQ.jpg

Vinc

I think people who were disappointed in recent Halo games are just more pessimistic right now. If Halo 5 turns out amazing, the general tone will change. I'd love to be optimistic about the game (and I keep looking for reasons to be). I'm more worried about it than pessimistic though. I used to care so deeply about that franchise and that passion has faded away more than I would like. I wish all the best for this series and for 343, I know they're working super hard on the game and are really passionate people. At the end of the day I just want the game to reignite my passion for the series, and what I'm seeing and hearing about it has me on the fence. I didn't like the E3 demo showing at all, but some of the stuff I'm hearing about the game sounds great. I just want it to come out already so I can judge for myself and feel more confident that this series is still for me... that way I'll be able to ride the hype train full force for the sequel.

hawk2025

Let's actually have a productive discussion on what we know of the campaign. Hopefully it can bring the thread to track.

Do we know any of the following:

1) How much, if any, of the story will rely on the Halo Channel, terminals, and other things of the sort? In absolute terms and relative to Halo 4?

2) Do we know if there will be any differences in areas, collectibles, and setpieces between playing single and co-op?

3) Do we know if we will get 8-10 missions like previous games, even if they are longer and bigger?

4) Do we know the details of the split between the two groups in the campaign?

5) The E3 demo suggested a move towards more real-time storytelling (even in "custscene-y" events) -- is the split more in favor of real-time action this time?

Which one is it?

Or is it somewhere in between these statements with 4?

I will find out this Fall.
Halo 4 is the whole universe lore.

Halo 1 to 3 isn't. In fact in a lot of ways Master Chief is even different in the first three games. Halo 4 John is much closer to expanded universe John and I like that John more.

Amir0x

Banned
yep I'll do that too

heck it too me 7 years to finally lock up during halo 3's warthog scene and see the Ark in full glory :p

Haha. I'm the guy who spent over 50 hours getting through Bioshock Infinite and Last of Us. Not because they were hard (even though I always play on toughest difficulty available), but because I was like strolling through admiring every corner of its art direction. Both games had remarkable art direction.

I suspect Halo 5 will too.

Halo games don't have short campaigns. Or if they do, you're probably playing on too easy a difficulty.

Or maybe I just suck and can't blast through Halo 3 in 5 hours on Legendary.

I'll be as critical of 343 as they deserve, but the thread title ripped straight from the Gamespot article feels designed to incite criticism and misunderstanding. I've criticised 343's messaging in the past but this just seems unfair.

(still hoping for performance fixes to MCC's campaigns, 343)

Which one is it?

Or is it somewhere in between these statements with 4?

I will find out this Fall.

If you haven't been following the extended lore past Cole Protocol (which is what I did), and based all of your understanding of the universe on Halo 1-3, you're going to be completely lost and confused.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Halo 4 is the whole universe lore.

Halo 1 to 3 isn't. In fact in a lot of ways Master Chief is even different in the first three games. Halo 4 John is much closer to expanded universe John and I like that John more.

I only read the original trilogy of books too, so is he like those? (I liked him in those)

If you haven't been following the extended lore past Cole Protocol (which is what I did), and based all of your understanding of the universe on Halo 1-3, you're going to be completely lost and confused.

Gotcha. I will have to read up then.

Sydle

I hope that's not publicist speak for 'It's really short, please don't tell anyone'

First thing I thought of.

I was going to wait on purchase given how badly they fucked up MCC anyway. If this turns out to be short on the campaign then I'm going to wait for it drop significantly in price as well.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I play Halo Campaigns multiple times. So not worried about missing bits and pieces.

farisr

What previous experience applies this to Halo campaigns?

Halo has always had short campaigns. Halo 3 was one of the best shooter campaigns I've played, and it was 5 hours long?
The last proper Halo game by 343? Key plot details/motivations were just either missing or glanced over for the immediate story that they were telling unless you bothered to go after the terminals. Felt like lazy storytelling especially compared to Bungie's efforts. At least they ensured that all the relevant knowledge you needed was already given to you. This yet again sounds similar to what they did in 4, and 4 was a shorter experience than 3 and Reach (check howlongtobeat, on average people beat halo 4 an hour faster than they did halo 3).

But hey, I hope stinkles is right that it's bigger and longer, and not because they are factoring in "exploring" to get key story details for the main plot that can be missed otherwise if you want to do a simple playthrough. I personally hate audio logs, terminals, and crap like that being used for info that directly pertains to the main plot in the game. It's fine if it fleshes out character backgrounds a bit more and what not, or expands the lore beyond the main plot that is not "required reading."

First thing I thought of.

I was going to wait on purchase given how badly they fucked up MCC anyway. If this turns out to be short on the campaign then I'm going to wait for it drop significantly in price as well.

It's longer.

zychi

Banned
Okay, regardless, that has nothing to do with 3/4's of the people in that OT. Anyways, go look at any other community thread.

Wow, you're a nice person.

"Captain343" apparently
Go ahead and show me how 343 has improved the Halo franchise since Bungie left it. You want to discuss the game and protect 343's image. Go ahead. Prove me wrong instead of having smartass remarks.

I already posted my history with 343. Ill also include the fact that 343 blocking of a refund for halo mcc for its fans who couldnt access any part of the game, which led to my xbox account being banned because apparently asking for a refund for the same game to 2 different xbox reps is grounds for a ban.

Ill add that "Frankie" disappeared as soon as shit hit the fan with the release. And the marketing team on Twitter disappeared from release well into January.

If ubisoft or Bungie, or Kojima did this, Neogaf would break.

Its not Halo the brand's fault. Its the shit 343 has done to it. If a broken, lying, shit company was slowly ruining your favorite franchise, you'd be pissed too.

If Nintendo decided to make a Zelda collection, and a sequel that they sold to fans for $60, hyped it up as the second coming, and then disappeared when you couldnt even load the main menu, Nintendo fans would be pissed off too
Ah come on. Patently untrue.
Up until June they patched it pretty much every month.
TMCC was too much of a mess for any community interacting company to run from, and they didn't.*

*They've been too quiet about it in the last month and there are still issues.
I've criticised them plenty.

Let's actually have a productive discussion on what we know of the campaign. Hopefully it can bring the thread to track.

Do we know any of the following:

1) How much, if any, of the story will rely on the Halo Channel, terminals, and other things of the sort? In absolute terms and relative to Halo 4?

2) Do we know if there will be any differences in areas, collectibles, and setpieces between playing single and co-op?

3) Do we know if we will get 8-10 missions like previous games, even if they are longer and bigger?

4) Do we know the details of the split between the two groups in the campaign?

5) The E3 demo suggested a move towards more real-time storytelling (even in "custscene-y" events) -- is the split more in favor of real-time action this time?

They haven't revealed yet but....

1. DK
2. Don't understand the ?
3. Supposed to be bigger and longer.
4. No
5. DK

robotrock

Banned
Regardless of length, I hope the campaign is great. Didn't really have fun with Halo 4 compared to the first three, ODST, or Reach.

Welfare

Go ahead and show me how 343 has improved the Halo franchise since Bungie left it. You want to discuss the game and protect 343's image. Go ahead. Prove me wrong instead of having smartass remarks.

Integrating EU elements into the games is a pretty big one.

Wait, are you throwing shade at Shinobi or Gamespot? Because their article title is basically the same as the thread title.

The last proper Halo game by 343? Key plot details/motivations were just either missing or glanced over for the immediate story that they were telling unless you bothered to go after the terminals. Felt like lazy storytelling especially compared to Bungie's efforts. At least they ensured that all the relevant knowledge you needed was already given to you. This yet again sounds similar to what they did in 4, and 4 was a shorter experience than 3 and Reach (check howlongtobeat, on average people beat halo 4 an hour faster than they did halo 3).

I can't wait to see people go, "Wait, there are other Spartan II's?", "Wait, who are Blue Team, how do they know John so well? Where were these people during the last four Halo games?"

I still can't believe they have this trilogy worked out, and they didn't think of having Spartan Ops be the introduction of Blue Team. Shit, it could have taken place in the past facing the Insurrectionists, showing the true underbelly of the Halo lore in gameplay and not just in a terminal

jem0208

I already posted my history with 343. Ill also include the fact that 343 blocking of a refund for halo mcc for its fans who couldnt access any part of the game, which led to my xbox account being banned because apparently asking for a refund for the same game to 2 different xbox reps is grounds for a ban.
Oh you're that guy.

Banned for asking for a refund. Sure.

Oh no. Damage control this early?

This is going to be a very corridor heavy 6 hour campaign isn't it?

Just gonna keep posting this quote since no one reads the thread and jumps to conclusions based on a poor, misleading title and article.

zychi

Banned
Ah come on. Patently untrue.
Up until June they patched it pretty much every month.
TMCC was too much of a mess for any community interacting company to run from, and they didn't.*

*They've been too quiet about it in the last month and there are still issues.
I've criticised them plenty.
No it didnt load at all for some people(includig myself).
I gave 343 props for mostly fixing it in my first post in this thread. 7 months after release.

The game should not have been released unfinished like that. Even WB games had the balls to pull back AK and Steam allowed refunds. 343(owned by MS BTW) blocked digital refunds.

This company does not get the benefit of doubt from me.

Killer

Banned

Well, Nintendo went ahead and made a fantastic sequel of Metroid Prime for 3ds.

Halo 4 wasn't broken. They changed it to make Halo in COD skin which pissed everyone off. MCC was a clusterfuck and shouldn't be shipped in that state. I couldn't believe they actually released it. I HOPE they learned their lesson because H5 beta didn't have any problems.

Rocketz

Everytime I see a thread with Halo in the title I let out a big sigh because I know what I'm going to find inside when I open it. I almost don't even want click on them anymore and just wait for the OT.

lol

jumpingtoconclusions.gaf
People are jumping on this because it's weird PR speak. A normal response would have been "it's got a deep story mode so please enjoy!" or "there's lots to explore!", not "you might miss a lot of story if you don't go out looking for it." It's a passive suggestion of poor level design and/or length, which is exactly what people are concerned about. There's pretty much zero trust on GAF toward 343 after last year. There's an extremely good reason for that.

That said, if Halo 5 works out, the aura of pessimism will largely disappear. "Trust us!" did not work out well last time. At all. Trust must be earned back.
Truly a non-biased source! And wow you're taking this personally. Why the worries?

@_@

Agreed it's painful trying to search though these threads for coherent discussion. A relatively benign comment gets twisted into the negative, a 343 pile on ensues and those who try to talk reason get accused of being 343 apologists.

Many here should be embarrassed of the level of conversation they are bringing to these threads but of course they aren't. They'll just move on to the next thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom