• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Thunder Force III confirmed in Archives 3 (JP) for 3DS, Sega buys Technosoft's IPs

While GAF was down we got some pretty significant news regarding Sega.

First one of the mystery games in the new Sega 3D Archives 3 collection for 3DS (JP-only at the moment) is Thunder Force III. But also, Sega at the same time announced they have acquired Technosoft's IPs.

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/s...nal-stage-thunder-force-iii-revealed-trailer/

http://segabits.com/blog/2016/09/17/sega-announces-acquisition-of-technosofts-ips/

List of Tecnhosoft IPs mentioned in the article:

- Thunder Force
- Herzog Zwei
- Elemental Master
- Hyper Reverthion

Sega also said they plan on reprinting Thunder Force IV, V and Herzog Zwei. What, do they mean the original versions on Genesis and Saturn and whatnot? o_O

So yeah, sounds fitting I say! I guess TF3 is much more popular and better than TF4 which was also on Genesis/Mega Drive so that's likely why it was picked? There was a Super Nintendo version of TF3 called Thunder Spirits. How about that! :p

entremet

While GAF was down we got some pretty significant news regarding Sega.

First one of the mystery games in the new Sega 3D Archives 3 collection for 3DS (JP-only at the moment) is Thunder Force III. But also, Sega at the same time announced they have acquired Technosoft's IPs.

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/s...nal-stage-thunder-force-iii-revealed-trailer/

http://segabits.com/blog/2016/09/17/sega-announces-acquisition-of-technosofts-ips/

List of Tecnhosoft IPs mentioned in the article:

- Thunder Force
- Herzog Zwei
- Elemental Master
- Hyper Reverthion

Sega also said they plan on reprinting Thunder Force IV, V and Herzog Zwei. What, do they mean the original versions on Genesis and Saturn and whatnot? o_O

So yeah, sounds fitting I say! I guess TF3 is much more popular and better than TF4 which was also on Genesis/Mega Drive so that's likely why it was picked? There was a Super Nintendo version of TF3 called Thunder Spirits. How about that! :p

I seriously doubt they're reprinting them on original hardware.

That sounds like digital releases or collections.

liquidtmd

Banned
Thunderforce Gold Pack Complete for steam and modern platforms, by M2 please.

yesjacknicholson.gif

rjc571

Banned
Please put them (and Powerdrift) on the eShop Sega! I'm not going to buy a collection full of games I've already downloaded just to play one or two extra games that you arbitrarily won't let me download individually.

Deft Beck

Please put them (and Powerdrift) on the eShop Sega! I'm not going to buy a collection full of games I've already downloaded just to play one or two extra games that you arbitrarily won't let me download individually.

They have the authority to do that so they can sell the collection. It's the edge they are leveraging for sales. It's not consumer-friendly, but otherwise, it won't be an incentive for them to put out the collection at all.

VariantX

Maybe thats why TF was a possible choice in a recent poll about more Dariusburst DLC since there were already Sega ships in the games. Also, this means TF 2-4 roms are a real possibility in the sega genesis collection now!

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I loved the shit out of this game back in the day. Any Genesis game with "Force" in the name is fucking great.

Thunder Force
Burning Force
Galaxy Force
Shining Force

jay

Awesome. Elemental Master is underrated and has great music. And TF3 is better than Lightening Force.

theclaw135

Banned
I thought it was weird Thunder Force V was seemingly delisted from PSN.
Then again I don't read Japanese to find much information about that.

Fularu

Banned
This one better come stateside or someone will have to answer for it (and yes, I bought every single 3D release on 3DS including the physical cart! so I did my part)

New Sega is so cool
I can assure you Okunari and other people involved with M2 pushed for this. New SEGA isn't a monolith, there's distinct forces working towards goals like this all around the company. M2 really wants more games to license so they can keep targeting a niche "old game" audience..Tecno Soft games fit the bill perfectly. I just wonder if this means SEGA has rights to redistribute games like the Neorude series, which came out on PS1 (meaning SCE could have a stake in that).

TF3 has better music.
Maybe a couple better melodies, plus Tomomi Ohtani tracks, but otherwise TFIV's soundtrack has way better FM synthesis/arrangement and gets progressively threatening and experimental. Lot more juice in it over the years, plus those awesome ending themes.

AmyS

Holy Fuck, Thunder Force III.

Sega buy's Technosoft's IPs

Holy Fuck. That's a megaton in my book. Best Sega news in Ages.

TFIV has got to be next.

june_is_boss_month_sig__2__thunder_force_iv_by_the_coop-d8lhpkt.gif

Then Herzog Zwei.

fvng

What does a developer like Technosoft do when they haven't had any projects for a while and have no projects in the pipeline? Do they get other day jobs or something?

I guarantee you Sega went to them asking to license some Force games for their 3DS collection and they realized it's cheaper to buy them outright

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Sega seems to be making really great choices for gamers lately. Obviously, they will never regain even a modicum of their former greatness, but I love their current propensity to rerelease classics, give the fans what they want, and not make or publish shitty games (with few exceptions)

Top Bottom