• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[3DS eShop] The Rolling Western/Dillon's Rolling Western |OT|

Wizpig

Well yeah. Iwata said Nintendo and Vanpool were working together again. But the question is if there is any direct zelda staff on the credits. Some of the assets seem very Zelda ish. Even the voice samples originally featured Link's grunt.
Dunno, they probably borrowed them but i don't think the Zelda staff had anything to do with this.
Damn it, give us an Iwata Asks!
Anyone find out who made this yet?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanpool_(company)

This makes the game hard (= good thing) but also 70% action and 30% tower defense.

That ratio will change a lot as you progress. You actually want your towers to take out most of the enemies as you get more money from that than when you do it yourself. (250 gold vs. 200 gold) You only want to fight monster that either attack your towers from a blindspot or that got through your defense. So in the end you shouldn't fight with more than 20 to 30% of all monsters during any given day.
Of course, you'll get less ore that way, but mines have more than you need anyway.

Wizpig

That ratio will change a lot as you progress. You actually want your towers to take out most of the enemies as you get more money from that than when you do it yourself. (250 gold vs. 200 gold) You only want to fight monster that either attack your towers from a blindspot or that got through your defense. So in the end you shouldn't fight with more than 20 to 30% of all monsters during any given day.
Of course, you'll get less ore that way, but mines have more than you need anyway.
Pretty awesome then, i'm only at day 1 of the third village, about to start day 2.

The plot thickens, btw. :lol

So was 4 hours in, on the 3rd town and what happens? I put my SD card in my computer and see two 3DS folders so I dlete one. They both said they had 2.4GB so I deleted one. What happens? Deleting one deleted all my 3DS SD card data. So now I have to restart ;(

So was 4 hours in, on the 3rd town and what happens? I put my SD card in my computer and see two 3DS folders so I dlete one. They both said they had 2.4GB so I deleted one. What happens? Deleting one deleted all my 3DS SD card data. So now I have to restart ;(

Recycle Bin! Unless you emptied it afterwards. :(

KevinCow

Banned
I don't know. I like this game, but I'm not entirely sure I like playing it. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, because I'm constantly super tight on money. I'm lucky if I can afford to equip two guns in a round.

On a different note, I can't shake the feeling that this began life as a Zelda spin-off about a Goron.

BowieZ

Banned
Yay! Up to Town #4 (
Rio Grande
)... the Mayor looks bitchy alright!

Your brain really has to fire on all cylinders to do well at this game:

- trial-by-fire
- strategy/compromise/time management - quickest way of obtaining optimum funds for each day and for all 3 days, how and where best to spend that money, best way to manage attacking Grocks
- action/battle
- construction simulation
- exploration
- quest completion/rare item management

It's a really cool third-person tower defense RPG hybrid.

On a different note, I can't shake the feeling that this began life as a Zelda spin-off about a Goron.
You may just be right; I have a feeling Nintendo heeded the calls for new IPs and thought it was time that spin-offs took the golden opportunity to break off entirely from the original.

For example, Pushmo could have so easily begun its life as a Mario puzzle platformer.

Speaking about how this game started off, I'm not sure about anyone else, but I got a notification a bit ago about Dillon's Rolling Wetern being out on the eShop now on my 3DS that touches on that slightly in the beginning:
"Hello everyone,

This is Kensuke Tanabe, the producer of Dillon's Rolling Western.

The main character of this game is an armadillo named Dillon. When we started working on this project with Vanpool, who co-developed the game with Nintendo, we decided right away that if we were going to have a character that rolls around in a ball, he had to be an armadillo."

And then it just goes on to describe/explain the game.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I don't know. I like this game, but I'm not entirely sure I like playing it. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, because I'm constantly super tight on money. I'm lucky if I can afford to equip two guns in a round.

If you explore levels, you'll find treasures that you can sell for extra monies.

Made it to the 4 town. Still liking it a lot. Part of it has to do with how good the rolling mechanic feels.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Way to go, this just means it's an original IP rather than "based off from X game".

With that said, I SHALL LOBBY DILLON FOR SMASH.

Wizpig

You can "play as a Goron" in Majora's Mask and
Spirit Tracks
... or was it
Phantom Hourglass? well, you don't play as a Goron directly but...

I really want an Iwata Asks for this.

The Tingle RPG one (without Iwata) was interesting.
http://microsite.nintendo-europe.com/tingle/enGB/

The second Tingle game is completely touch based too, i hear.

Wizpig

The game is very frustrating when you lose (especially if you lose all your hearts), but when you see that only 1-2 enemies remain it's time to celebrate.

Before starting the fourth level i'd like to try the first one again, but let's say i have 30k and i start with 30k.
If i only use 5k at the end of the three days i will get my 25k back, right?

KevinCow

Banned
Okay. Just beat the second town, but I think I'm done. Everything about this game is just frustrating.

I just don't understand the economy in this game. There's not enough money. I destroy every rock I see, go into every mine, sell the stuff back at the town, and there's still barely enough to do anything. I can barely afford to build a handful of guns, much less upgrade my towers.

Even when you can afford them, the towers aren't as useful as they could be. You either equip them with the useless shotgun so they don't get knocked down, or you have to constantly run back and forth across the map to babysit them. Except you don't have the time, because they aren't good enough to take out all the enemies, so you're also babysitting the gates. And why can't I aim them? Why can they only point in predesignated directions, which are often not very useful?

So most of the monsters are taken out through direct combat. Which isn't fun. It's boring and repetitive, and the camera doesn't do it any favors. Nor do the controls.

The controls... I just don't understand. They would've worked perfectly fine if you'd mapped every single touch screen function to one button. I mean they work... for the most part. Aiming your rolls towards the camera in combat is annoying. And I hate how you can sometimes preload your rolls before you hit the ground after a first roll, but other times you can't. So sometimes I'll swipe while I'm still in the air, and he goes straight into a roll when he hits the ground, but other times I do the exact same thing and he just stands there lamely.

Disappointing.

Okay. Just beat the second town, but I think I'm done. Everything about this game is just frustrating.

I just don't understand the economy in this game. There's not enough money. I destroy every rock I see, go into every mine, sell the stuff back at the town, and there's still barely enough to do anything. I can barely afford to build a handful of guns, much less upgrade my towers.

Even when you can afford them, the towers aren't as useful as they could be. You either equip them with the useless shotgun so they don't get knocked down, or you have to constantly run back and forth across the map to babysit them. Except you don't have the time, because they aren't good enough to take out all the enemies, so you're also babysitting the gates. And why can't I aim them? Why can they only point in predesignated directions, which are often not very useful?

So most of the monsters are taken out through direct combat. Which isn't fun. It's boring and repetitive, and the camera doesn't do it any favors. Nor do the controls.

The controls... I just don't understand. They would've worked perfectly fine if you'd mapped every single touch screen function to one button. I mean they work... for the most part. Aiming your rolls towards the camera in combat is annoying. And I hate how you can sometimes preload your rolls before you hit the ground after a first roll, but other times you can't. So sometimes I'll swipe while I'm still in the air, and he goes straight into a roll when he hits the ground, but other times I do the exact same thing and he just stands there lamely.

Disappointing.
By day three in town 2, I had like 5 guns built and a gate...

Also, it's all about placement.

Also haven't had any problem with controls once I learned the direction of my swipes in battle effects which way I go.

It's not about doing amazingly well the first time, its about survival. I'm up to the 6'th town
and it gets to the point that 2-3 or so rock guys enter the town = game over. (Especially this one town with the green guy)

Because the game after you beat the levels gives a "No limit" money option, its made that
you pretty much have to perfectly read where they spawn and take out the last one as quick as possible to get the full five stars.

The money is limited in a way that you find out how to get more money out of exploring.
A good tip is grinding EVERYTHING, grinding always gives you more items but takes longer to kill things.
You can do this to ores which both raise your combo meter(giving you 30-70 coins per mine) and drop more ore to sell.

I do hate that the game has opened up beyond what the instruction booklet has on it and that
there's some things I have no idea how to use(I haven't tried to use them either so..) but
there's so many enemies. It seems like I'm halfway done and there's at least 20 of them so far.

And now for a random complaint, I wish the towers could turn around. Some of these cannon ranges
and chain gun ranges are so stupid. Some cannon ranges cover a whole path(for example
the upper right gun tower on the first town seems to cover a wide path yet the gun tower
just left of the same town barely touches the path its aiming at. They seem to limit the
game because I could have like 3 cannons aiming at this one path but I guess it's a balancing thing the more I think about it.

Lastly in this jumble of a post, it took me FOREVER to find out how to open temple doors.
Since I use my huge fingers its sometimes hard to reach the bottom of the screen to get
full speed, far less knowing that's what full speed is when you start playing since its not
the distance traveled from where to press and then drag but always the bottom of the screen.

Codeblue

This is usually my flow:

Day 1: I'll have like one shot gun up and a gate on one of the doors. I'm running frantically back and forth between enemies.

Day 2: Two gates built, add two more guns, a little bit less hectic.

Day 3: Gattling guns everywhere, I just run around and directly attack the grocks I want to farm and the occasional one or two that escaped the firing range. It ends up being something like 50-50 split between myself and the guns, but only because I'm going after certain enemies to farm them before my towers can get a clear shot.

Yuterald

Up to Day 2, Town 3. Really enjoying this game, a lot. I had a question regarding your Savings and how it works on replays of a stage.

Say your savings are currently 20,000. You replay Stage 1 and add all 20,000 to the bank. Once you complete this stage again do you receive your initial 20,000 deposit + whatever else you gained?

It would be kind of odd to invest all your money on a replay of a stage and possible blow it (not get 5 stars). I doubt the game works like this, but since it's not explained anywhere I'm not sure I want to risk bringing all my cash into a stage.

Say your savings are currently 20,000. You replay Stage 1 and add all 20,000 to the bank. Once you complete this stage again do you receive your initial 20,000 deposit + whatever else you gained?

It would be kind of odd to invest all your money on a replay of a stage and possible blow it (not get 5 stars). I doubt the game works like this, but since it's not explained anywhere I'm not sure I want to risk bringing all my cash into a stage.

Yeah, spend all you want. Whatever you end up at in the end, is added back to your savings.
They most likely thought since you do that in a way when you start a level but to a set
number.

markot

Banned
Only played the first 2 days, but its pretty awesome so far.

Can someone make icons of some of the 2d sprites they use in the 'talky' bits >.>!?

Only played the first 2 days, but its pretty awesome so far.

Can someone make icons of some of the 2d sprites they use in the 'talky' bits >.>!?

While it isn't exactly what you are asking for, most of us thought this was pretty cool. Let it hold you over until what you are asking for emerges(if you haven't seen it already)

Still loving it! Here's some quick fan pixels:

dillon.png

Saved the fifth village. It's getting a bit difficult. I was a short on money, my equipment broke, Level 1 canons don't do jack shit anymore and it's the first time some of the enemies made it into the village.

BowieZ

Banned
Town #6 is a bitch. It gives me the vibe of a final town but I hope there's more.

There's at least 3 major new things introduced (
SpringGrock, town pickpocket, plug crystal
) all spanners in your strategy's works, and other challenges are ramped up majorly (maze layout, 30-40 grocks, minimal gun towers and mines, mud up the wazoo, and an expensive cannon quest).

Day 1 I could barely afford two armed towers, and Day 2 the same due to the nature of a quest.

And I'll be devvo if this is the last level!

NeoRausch

Saved the fifth village. It's getting a bit difficult. I was a short on money, my equipment broke, Level 1 canons don't do jack shit anymore and it's the first time some of the enemies made it into the village.
Sounds like replaying some earlier stages to gather some money and resources.

Wizpig

Nice avatars and nice art on the website.

"Sidekick" is the shit.

I'm up to the fourth village, day 2 and... wtf.
Let's just say i game over'd. hopefully next time will go better, but i have very few money to spend on towers. will buy some TNT

Nice avatars and nice art on the website.

"Sidekick" is the shit.

I'm up to the fourth village, day 2 and... wtf.
Let's just say i game over'd. hopefully next time will go better, but i have very few money to spend on towers. will buy some TNT

I remember looking at the boulders on the bridge and thinking "why would I even want to waste time and money blowing these up?" and then day 2 happened, I barely scraped through, safe to say my day 3 preparations involved more dynamite

NeoRausch

I think the only thing I could technically gather by re-playing previous stages is equipment that carries over. But I don't really want to go back to earlier stages.
Can't you earn money for later stages? To equipp towers and stuff. Serious question. I'm still on the beginning of the second day.

Poyunch

Can't you earn money for later stages? To equipp towers and stuff. Serious question. I'm still on the beginning of the second day.

Whenever you start a new town you're given a set amount of money you can spend. Even if you have a lot of money, the first time you enter a new town you'll only be allowed to use a portion of it.

giggas

Anyone else just using their (right-hand) thumb for rolling, rather than using the stylus?

I mainly use my right thumb for rolling. The only time I use the stylus is to open those secret doors because you need to have him rolling at full speed consistently. Sometimes I don't get that full speed boost so I'll spend too much time opening the doors. The stylus is way more accurate, but it's much more comfortable using my thumb. I'm hoping I can get away with using my thumb for Kid Icarus.

This game is pretty awesome though. I made it to the fourth town last night and saved my game for the night.

So I'm assuming to have more money I need to start selling items, right? Like those treasures you find in the hidden caves, I sold some of them thinking thats what I'm supposed to do with them, right? So far they haven't come up in any of the quests or anything so I'm assuming stuff like that is made to be sold. If I didn't sell that shit I would have been in a world of hell on Day 3 of the third stage.

NeoRausch

Whenever you start a new town you're given a set amount of money you can spend. Even if you have a lot of money, the first time you enter a new town you'll only be allowed to use a portion of it.
Total brainfart here on my side. I forgot he was playing day 6 for the first time.
yeah, then it all makes sense.

Top Bottom