• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS gameplay videos at Nintendo Conference from MXTV

EVH said:
It is ugly. A huge step back from DSi :(
I want it soo much.. but I too think it's kind of hideous. I feel like it was definitely on purpose just to have a revision model come along a year later.

What's the word on the actual 3D effect? What's the wow factor on it? I haven't followed closely enough to know really.

Emitan

Regulus Tera said:
The more I see of the 3DS the uglier the console is.
I wouldn't say it's ugly, but why is it so freaking shiny? I don't want it covered in fingerprints. What's wrong with my Red matte DS Lite?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Himuro said:
You think 3ds is ugly? :(

The screens are different sizes, the faces are asymmetrical, and the device is way thick.

I'm really skeptical of the whole 3D gimmick, too. I just don't see any interesting game mechanics coming out of it, especially considering you can turn it off. I look at what the 3DS is doing and I see a PSP with a touch screen and 3D, not the DS' successor. And even the touch screen seems like it will be an after thought from now on, because it is not the main screen anymore.

SwiftSketcher said:
I want it soo much.. but I too think it's kind of hideous. I feel like it was definitely on purpose just to have a revision model come along a year later.

What's the word on the actual 3D effect? What's the wow factor on it? I haven't followed closely enough to know really.
I don't think the design itself is bad, but I hate the two-tone color scheme they're using for the non-black units.

WillyFive

Regulus Tera said:
The screens are different sizes, the faces are asymmetrical, and the device is way thick.

I'm really skeptical of the whole 3D gimmick, too. I just don't see any interesting game mechanics coming out of it, especially considering you can turn it off. I look at what the 3DS is doing and I see a PSP with a touch screen and 3D, not the DS' successor. And even the touch screen seems like it will be an after thought from now on, because it is not the main screen anymore.

What would you imagine a DS successor to look like?

BertramCooper said:
I don't think the design itself is bad, but I hate the two-tone color scheme they're using for the non-black units.

How come? I thought that was a neat design.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Also region-locking. Infinitely inferior to the DS already.

Willy105 said:

I don't know, to be honest. The DS was such a paradigm shift the only thing worthy of being called its successor would have to mindfuck everyone with, blowjobs? Candy?

Instro

Regulus Tera said:

Touch screen wasnt really the main screen on the DS either.

Willy105 said:

phantom1.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Instro said:
Touch screen wasnt really the main screen on the DS either.

The DS had a nice balance between classic games that used the D-Pad and face buttons and games that used the touch screen. I fear the balance will weigh too much towards the former with the 3DS.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Graphics Horse said:
Just to be clear, we don't know if it's proper multi touch, it's a sports game made by Namco, who also made Taiko no Tatsujin DS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciTRY2zZ_uk

It is totally possible these days, people just like singing the same old song. Whether the 3DS will have multi touch resistive screen I don't know, but they do exist. It's a pretty recent development so I'm not betting on it.
Oh yeah, I remember some games on DS using the "multi touch" trick with the screen.

With Nintendo being Nintendo of these days I'm sure they have a few surprises left. Hope one of them is at least related to a new touch screen development

WillyFive

Regulus Tera said:
The DS had a nice balance between classic games that used the D-Pad and face buttons and games that used the touch screen. I fear the balance will weigh too much towards the former with the 3DS.

This is true.

Carlisle

Varjet said:
3DS: 134×74×21 mm
DSL: 133×73.9×21.87 mm

So, yeah.
Wow really? Only a millimeter wider than the DS Lite and just about the same height and thickness? The thing looks a lot bigger in these videos, although it could just be that it's being held by a tiny Japanese woman with tiny Japanese woman hands.

Regulus Tera said:
I blame the weird design.

The only thing weird about it is the tri-layer look when it's closed.
Other than that, anyone complaining it's "ugly compared to the DSL/i" is purely insane.

Celine

Teetris said:
Oh yeah, I remember some games on DS using the "multi touch" trick with the screen.

With Nintendo being Nintendo of these days I'm sure they have a few surprises left. Hope one of them is at least related to a new touch screen development
Hotel Dusk

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
Other than that, anyone complaining it's "ugly compared to the DSL/i" is purely insane.
Well the tri layered design is pretty ugly. Not to mention the assimetrical screens and the grey analog. I'd still blow it, but it's definately ugly.

That said, Alfredo is being way to paranoid on the whole touch screen vs traditional stuff.

1feomt.jpg

I just want my 2d games.

A DS successor is designated by software.

It's not doing anything the DS didn't and is doing more, so I'm not sure in what sense it fails to be a successor.

Boney said:
That said, Alfredo is being way to paranoid on the whole touch screen vs traditional stuff.

I don't see how. You're being pretty naive if you don't think that the top-screen-centric design will discourage developers from designing games that require players to focus a significant amount of attention on the touch screen, let alone games where the primary gameplay takes place on the touch screen. It's easily the biggest drawback of the 3D screen, IMO.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
AceBandage said:

The 3DS is most certainly stranger looking uglier than either.

Boney

Banned
Father_Brain said:
I don't see how. You're being pretty naive if you don't think that the top-screen-centric design will discourage developers from designing games that require players to focus a significant amount of attention on the touch screen, let alone games where the primary gameplay takes place on the touch screen. It's easily the biggest drawback of the 3D screen, IMO.
There's so many options though, I'm sure developers will use all of them.

Look at Cubic Ninja, it's controlled via the gyroscopes. We'll get everything (probably). Touch, Gyro, AR, 2D and 3D games.

Developers will use whatever it's more apropriate for their games.

Instro

Boney said:
There's so many options though, I'm sure developers will use all of them.

Look at Cubic Ninja, it's controlled via the gyroscopes. We'll get everything (probably). Touch, Gyro, AR, 2D and 3D games.

Developers will use whatever it's more apropriate for their games.

Which in the end is probably better than forcing one control scheme. Sometimes touch screen and motion just isnt appropriate and thats ok, Im sure devs will at least include multiple control schemes in their games anyway so its not a big deal.

Willy105 said:
How come? I thought that was a neat design.
I just don't think it looks nearly as sleek with the two-tone design. Electronic devices look more aesthetically pleasing when they're done in one single color, IMO.

BertramCooper said:
I just don't think it looks nearly as sleek with the two-tone design. Electronic devices look more aesthetically pleasing when they're done in one single color, IMO.
This I agree with.

It is also something I am going to immediately get over when I have one.

ShockingAlberto said:
This I agree with.

It is also something I am going to immediately get over when I have one.
As long as we get the black one here at launch, I'll be fine.

I remember reading somewhere that the black around the top screen is needed to enhance the 3D. I'm not sure if that's totally true or not.

Emitan

For everyone complaining about the two-tone color scheme: the type of screen the 3DS uses can't get very bright so the screen is surrounded by black to make it appear brighter. If it didn't look like this, you'd be complaining about the screen being too dim.

Billychu said:
For everyone complaining about the two-tone color scheme: the type of screen the 3DS uses can't get very bright so the screen is surrounded by black to make it appear brighter. If it didn't look like this, you'd be complaining about the screen being too dim.
Nobody is complaining. It's just a very minor nitpick.

Ledsen

Teetris said:
I have all DS revisions, use my DSi the most. While it works most of the times it's clearly not designed for using your whole finger since then it almost always fails when you need a fast recognition - AKA it's not like with an ipod touch

Unless it's the games I'm playing but I doubt that.

Thanks, multi touch should be interesting at least and have some better innovation!

No it's not because it's a completely different type of screen. The DS has a pressure-sensitive (resistive) screen while iPod Touch/iPhone/any modern smartphone have capacitive screens that react only to conductive materials (for example the human body).

slider

They look like games on a Nintendo system; which is a good thing. Can't wait. A few weeks ago (around the time the price was announced/leaked) I went off it but... fuck it. It's a Nintendo handheld and it's got 3D. Drool.

Honestly OOT3DS has me a bit underwhelmed. It looks nice-ish, but even by nintendo's "let's push but not too much" standards I think it could look a little better. I'll be more interested when we find out exactly what enhanced features are gonna come with this one though, extra items/dungeons/gameplay (I think its a pretty good bet that ura zelda, either in part or in whole, will be present in the game in some shape or form)

Graphics Horse said:
Not sure, but there's a game coming out that uses two stylussesesii.
It's also 320x240 instead of 256x192

gQFwD.png

In all seriousness which game though?

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
So when are we going to get in depth gameplay of Paper Mario?
Seriously, I got so pissed there wasn't a dedicated trailer for Paper Mario. At the end of the day it may very well be the best game in the system.

QuiteWhittle said:
I hope we see Kid Icarus and SSFIV3D footage. Then we would have seen gameplay footage of all the playable games at the conference.
We saw Street Fighter behind the shoulder and Winning Eleven in a video. And I'm sure I saw a video of Kid Icarus as well, but not 100% here.

Pappasman

I'm kinda surprised at OoT apathy in this thread. It's my most anticipated game for the system, even though I've played it countless times.

Josh7289

Graphics Horse said:
Double Pen Sports I link. http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/03/namco-bandai-publishing-double-pen-sports-for-nintendo-3ds/

But as I said Namco already made a Taiko game for the DS designed for 2 styliussessi so it might not be anything special regarding the screen tech.
It looks like you use the two pens individually. It's still definitely a resistive touch screen. No multi-touch.

Pappasman said:
I'm kinda surprised at OoT apathy in this thread. It's my most anticipated game for the system, even though I've played it countless times.
There are at least as many people excited for the game, though.

Instro

Im down for OoT, it will at least be miles better than the two DS Zeldas, plus its been awhile since Ive played it so it will be nice to have a new definitive version of the game.

Pappasman said:

I have too, and that's why i'm apathetic about it. Add the fact there are like 15 games already that are new and look omfgwtfbb111 and that's why i basically don't give a rats' arse about the re-re-re-re-re-release of OOT

Mudkips

Banned
Pappasman said:

OoT is phenomenal. But I'll probably never play it again. I get my Zelda fix from the other great Zelda games they continue to make.

StarFox 64 3DS, however, is sorely needed.

Top Bottom