• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS gameplay videos at Nintendo Conference from MXTV

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
jett said:
Other than the texture quality I thought TP was a really nice looking game, personally.
Yes, the dungeons looked really nice.

OoT looks smooth as hell, I like that. I would like it even more with a second stick though or at least, some virtual camera buttons like in Mario 64 DS.

Shiggy said:
the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20061110095621277.jpg

Especially after the great looking Wind Waker.
aside from the ground texture and that being a terrible capture (the iq is much worse than the real deal) that's a good looking gamecube game, yeah.

WillyFive

Gillian Seed said:
I hope we get some Wind Waker style 3DS Love. Phantom Hourglass broke my heart with the crappy touch controls.

Those touch controls were the only good thing of that game, IMO. And the graphics (for a DS game).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Willy105 said:
Those touch controls were the only good thing of that game, IMO. And the graphics (for a DS game).

It's not so much that the touch controls are crappy--they worked very well for me at least, it's that all of the design decisions were made around the touch controls, resulting in a very small, unambitious game with bland puzzle design (besides the clever close-your-DS puzzle), a tiny inventory of bog-standard gadgets, etc.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shiggy said:
That's true, but they could've solved it differently, e.g. like in StarFox Adventures where different parts of the world were already in the cache, but all the details were loaded as soon as you approached them. Of course, there was not a huge overworld, but it looked much better at least.

Of course, the engine could have been optimised differently in how it streams assets and the size of the world, but it wasn't. Regardless of how people feel about the overall IQ, I'd aruge that it's still one of the most technically accomplished games on the GameCube, for the size of the environments, poly count, detail in distant objects, and framerate.

It could have been presented differently, and arguably for the beter, but I dont believe the GameCube could have accomplished a 'better' version of exactly what we got.

Shiggy

plagiarize said:
aside from the ground texture and that being a terrible capture (the iq is much worse than the real deal) that's a good looking gamecube game, yeah.

And except for the trees, grass, bushes, stony walls and the emptiness, right. The textures really ruined the look of the game, I don't even want to remember that first town :/
With Skyward Sword they at least try to hide these disappointing textures, even though the rest doesn't seem to look much better (are good looking trees that difficult?)...but "hiding" these textures makes a great difference already. Now they only need to make a smaller overworld (or an overworld with objects and quests).
Edit: Just watched the Skyward Sword videos again, it looks so much better than TP!

WillyFive

Stumpokapow said:
It's not so much that the touch controls are crappy--they worked very well for me at least, it's that all of the design decisions were made around the touch controls, resulting in a very small, unambitious game with bland puzzle design (besides the clever close-your-DS puzzle), a tiny inventory of bog-standard gadgets, etc.

That could be it. The close-your-DS puzzle was clever (although I was stuck in that part for about 4 months), but the level design did take a very huge hit. Especially that terrible master dungeon that you had to repeat. Made me dread everytime I had to go back to it.

Pardon my ignorance but... why am I see that 3D effect on those videos? I thought since this didn't require glasses you would get that distoreted image when filmed

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the zelda video alone was enough to make me freak the fug out. i'd buy the system if it were just that game installed, nothing else, two hundred bucks. give it to me.

Metalmurphy said:
Pardon my ignorance but... why am I see that 3D effect on those videos? I thought since this didn't require glasses you would get that distoreted image when filmed

It just depends where the camera is, if you're in the wrong place you'll see both views at once.

WillyFive

Metalmurphy said:

What?

*runs through translator*

Metalmurphy said:
Pardon my ignorance, but... why can I still see the double vision on the videos? I thought since this didn't require glasses you wouldn't get that distorted image when filmed.

Oh!

The 3D effect requires two viewpoints. Since the camera only has one, you will occasionally see both viewpoints blending in, since it's the human brain that creates the 3D effect when you have both viewpoints.

But since you are only getting one, you see the blur effect.

Think of it as both your eyes together being the 3D glasses. Without them, you would see double vision, like on a movie theater. But with the glasses, you see 3D. But with your eyes.

Does this make any sense? Having a hard time writing it down.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Metalmurphy said:
You don't see it.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Did they improve the touch screen by the way? Or is it all the same as the DS?

I'd love to touch with my finger for example :)

Shiggy

Teetris said:

You could do that on the touch screen of the DS?

WillyFive

Teetris said:

If it's the same as the DS, you should be able to use your finger just fine. Although I prefer to use the tip of the finger nail to avoid getting fingerprints in the middle of the screen.

Teetris said:

Not sure, but there's a game coming out that uses two stylussesesii.
It's also 320x240 instead of 256x192

Jokeropia

I just wanna say that disagree with Twilight Princess' overworld being empty. There might not be that many optional quests but there are quite a lot of hidden grottos, caves and chests. (Rhyme unintentional. :p)

WillyFive

Jokeropia said:
I just wanna say that disagree with Twilight Princess' overworld being empty. There might not be that many optional quests but there are quite a lot of hidden grottos, caves and chests. (Rhyme unintentional. :p)

Yeah, that's true.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
zoukka said:
Someone never played DS.
I have all DS revisions, use my DSi the most. While it works most of the times it's clearly not designed for using your whole finger since then it almost always fails when you need a fast recognition - AKA it's not like with an ipod touch

Unless it's the games I'm playing but I doubt that.

Graphics Horse said:
Not sure, but there's a game coming out that uses two stylussesesii.
It's also 320x240 instead of 256x192
Thanks, multi touch should be interesting at least and have some better innovation!

Boney

Banned
Teetris said:
I have all DS revisions, use my DSi the most. While it works most of the times it's clearly not designed for using your whole finger since then it almost always fails when you need a fast recognition - AKA it's not like with an ipod touch

Unless it's the games I'm playing but I doubt that.

Thanks, multi touch should be interesting at least and have some better innovation!
I'd rather have precise stylus control and little finger, than all finger and no stylus.

Metalmurphy said:

The distorted image comes from the paralax barrier display of the 3DS, depending on the angle of the camera that's filming you get that distorted image.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Boney said:
I'd rather have precise stylus control and little finger, than all finger and no stylus.
So, it's not possible to have a touchscreen that has both ways?

Teetris said:

Just to be clear, we don't know if it's proper multi touch, it's a sports game made by Namco, who also made Taiko no Tatsujin DS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciTRY2zZ_uk

Teetris said:
So, it's not possible to have a touchscreen that has both ways?

It is totally possible these days, people just like singing the same old song. Whether the 3DS will have multi touch resistive screen I don't know, but they do exist. It's a pretty recent development so I'm not betting on it.

Graphics Horse said:
It just depends where the camera is, if you're in the wrong place you'll see both views at once.
Willy105 said:
The 3D effect requires two viewpoints. Since the camera only has one, you will occasionally see both viewpoints blending in, since it's the human brain that creates the 3D effect when you have both viewpoints.

But since you are only getting one, you see the blur effect.

Think of it as both your eyes together being the 3D glasses. Without them, you would see double vision, like on a movie theater. But with the glasses, you see 3D. But with your eyes.

Does this make any sense? Having a hard time writing it down.
GoncaloCCastro said:
The distorted image comes from the paralax barrier display of the 3DS, depending on the angle of the camera that's filming you get that distorted image.

Josh7289

System of the forever, no doubt.

That Zelda video... all of these videos... my god, my hype level is almost unbearable. :lol

It's out exactly four months from today in Japan.

Edit: Ahaha, the way he giggles in the Ridge Racer video at 2:28 when he boosts. :lol

Edit 2: Watching these videos reminds me of Christmas, when there's one particular new and amazing gift that everyone is trying out and having a great time.

Jokeropia said:
Agreed. Been saying this for years here.

DarkPanda

I'm a little sad that the tree house interior is still using the fixed camera view like the original. I never liked those and found a lot of them to be a awkward to navigate. I just hope they fix castle town; there's no excuse for giving us a static viewpoint there now that they have the power and time to render it in real-time.

Boney

Banned
DarkPanda said:
I'm a little sad that the tree house interior is still using the fixed camera view like the original. I never liked those and found a lot of them to be a awkward to navigate. I just hope they fix castle town; there's no excuse for giving us a static viewpoint there now that they have the power and time to render it in real-time.
Static camara works better with limited camara control in tight spaces. I say keep them.

OoT 3D looks fantastic. Having the inventory on the bottom screen is going to be awesome. No more START > R > Select Red Tunic > START.

I'll be interested to see if Nintendo decides to do an original, full-fledged console-style Zelda on the 3DS or if they'll continue with the PH/ST touch screen-based setup.

Celine

Only possible reaction
0e47058a2147a81dd4c4298723230b95.jpg

5415ec7310aeaf2666699eaf3b8c0147.jpg

EatChildren said:
Can and will. Massive draw distances with absolutely zero pop-in (enemies and objects rendered fully as far as you can see), grass, water effects, day/night cycle, very nice triangle count, and more than acceptable textures on characters and important ojbects.

At least in the texture department, it's not a good comparsion to Wind Waker, a game where many textures were single tones highlighted with shading.
Point. Set. Match.

urrrrrg Ocarina of Time 3D is so amazing looking! I know that the world geometry doesn't have that much of an improvement, but in motion, everything just looks so... right.

Also, the game is definitely more colorful than the original. I am looking forward to that as well.

Also, yes, I like their shirts. I would say that "we want easy 4 life" "funk you" and "logictoilet" were the best parts of those videos, but then there was OoT...

DarkPanda said:
hey, at least it's going to be a 3d environment rather than a picture this time!

plagiarize said:
hey, at least it's going to be a 3d environment rather than a picture this time!
Yeah, my hope is that they clean up some of the really ugly pre-rendered stuff. The Castle Town Market should be at the top of the list.

BertramCooper said:
Yeah, my hope is that they clean up some of the really ugly pre-rendered stuff. The Castle Town Market should be at the top of the list.
Especially the Future version of it.

Actually, the Future Hyrule Castle and Market did look really ugly in the original... With the brighter colors and better geometry, I think those areas may show the biggest improvements.

Boney said:
Not sure... iPod Touch doesn't allow Stylus though..
Capacitative Styluses exist and work fine on iPods and iPhones and other capacitative screens. They're just not pinpoint accurate like resistive screens.

Top Bottom