• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS gameplay videos at Nintendo Conference from MXTV

Wait, does Ocarina have slightly revamped visuals? Aside from the framerate? Can't really tell from the video, but the game looks better than it did on N64 from what I can tell.

brandonh83 said:
Wait, does Ocarina have slightly revamped visuals? Aside from the framerate? Can't really tell from the video, but the game looks better than it did on N64 from what I can tell.
They're totally revamped, new textures and models and lighting and environments and everything. No more cardboard mountains or pre-rendered market backgrounds.

Some people are disappointed that it doesn't look like Twilight Princess but whatever.

Boney said:
Am I the only one not impressed at all with Zelda?
What's not impressive about it? The graphics have clearly been improved and the touch screen implementation for the menus seems like a really great change.

Boney

Banned
I want a proper remake... Like REmake!

From what I can tell.. it's exactly the same game... with one more secret dungeon I bet... booooring.

Boney said:
I want a proper remake... Like REmake!

From what I can tell.. it's exactly the same game... with one more secret dungeon I bet... booooring.
They really should include the Master Quest, but yeah Nintendo remakes usually don't deviate much from the source.

Boney

Banned
Scythesurge said:
They really should include the Master Quest, but yeah Nintendo remakes usually don't deviate much from the source.
metroid-zero-mission.jpg

Ignis Fatuus said:
You say that about Ocarina of Time like it's a bad thing.
Played it enough... I mean, I'm sure I'll end up getting it and play it once and like it... but... eh..

swerve

Vinci said:
Want impressive tech worth discussing? Game on a PC. Discussing it in reference to console and handheld gaming comes off as ridiculous as analyzing the AI in a Tiger Electronics baseball video game.

That's really not true. Framerate is often massively important to gameplay, it's not just an elitist thing. Many people simply can't enjoy a game when the framerate is choppy (or would prefer not to) and so they get excited when they can see SHINY new games running at 60.

I wasn't interested in another version of OoT until this thread. Playing OoT:The Perfect Version will definitely be something me and my wallet are interested in.

Shiggy

Ocarina of Time 3DS doesn't look much better than the N64 version...they should put some effort into the graphics...

jett said:
Stop it. I'm not gonna get into this dumb argument. You can't tell if a game runs at 60fps from a youtube clip and that's all there is to it.

And just so you shove those gifs up where they came from and don't use them in another argument again, the animation in the second one is cycling twice as fast as the other.
Hey douche, he is right. You should stop it.

You can't tell if it's actually 60fps, but you can tell if it's smoother than 30fps.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shiggy said:
Ocarina of Time 3DS doesn't look much better than the N64 version...they should put some effort into the graphics...
I think you need to take another look at the N64 version. The 3DS version features quite a bit more detail and runs at a higher framerate.

You can't tell if it's actually 60fps, but you can tell if it's smoother than 30fps.
Wait, what? You can't tell if something is higher than 30 fps if the video in question is 30 fps.

N64 version was 20 fps, though, so this is definitely a huge improvement.

Boney said:
Yes yes, I remember. Even some of Nintendo's better remakes like Super Mario Bros. Deluxe is very similar to the original game though.

With Super Mario 64 DS they gave us a bunch of extra stuff so maybe it isn't out of the question for OoT.

Shiggy

dark10x said:
I think you need to take another look at the N64 version. The 3DS version features quite a bit more detail and runs at a higher framerate.

Still it doesn't look on par with other 3DS 3D games, that's what I mean. It rather looks like a DS+/N64 game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Shiggy said:
Still it doesn't look on par with other 3DS 3D games, that's what I mean. It rather looks like a DS+/N64 game.
I'd like to play the same N64 and DS games you've played, they sound amazing.

Spiegel

dark10x said:

It's a hi-res port with some updated textures and models. Geometry on the enviroments and objects look similar to the n64 game.

I too was expecting more. I mean, it doesn't look bad but also not as fucking awesome as MGS3D (another 3DS "remake") looks, and I've played the game on the N64 and replayed it with good framerate on PC

Shiggy

Easy_D said:
I'd like to play the same N64 and DS games you've played, they sound amazing.

Super Mario 64, Diddy Kong Racing?
Ocarina of Time rather looks like they took the models and textures over to the new game, not like they did all from scratch. But well then again, the Zelda team hasn't been known for great graphics since Wind Waker; one only needs to take a look at the textures of TP...
Graphics-wise they seem to be one of the worse studios at Nintendo.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Shiggy said:
Ocarina of Time rather looks like they took the models and textures over to the new game, not like they did all from scratch. But well then again, the Zelda team hasn't been known for great graphics since Wind Waker; one only needs to take a look at the textures of TP...
Are you seriously comparing OOT3DS to Maio 64? :lol
You just made my day :D.

People, we need some comparison pics up in this bitch.

But whatever, that's just like your opinion, man.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Spiegel said:
It's a hi-res port with some updated textures and models. Geometry on the enviroments and objects look similar to the n64 game.

I too was expecting more. I mean, it doesn't look bad but also not as fucking awesome as MGS3D (another 3DS "remake") looks, and I've played the game on the N64 and replayed it with good framerate on PC

It would look like TP/SS if they go all out on 3DS i think - i guess thats why they wanna keep the style close to the original

Shiggy said:

TP was a gamecube game, and a good looking one at that.

yes, it has dated more than Wind Waker has, but are you forgetting the 'wow' factor of the trailers for it?

i can't vouch for all the textures and models, but pretty much everything in this video and the others, looks to be all redone. environment geometry, hard to say, but the models and the textures look new.

Vinci

Danish
swerve said:
That's really not true. Framerate is often massively important to gameplay, it's not just an elitist thing. Many people simply can't enjoy a game when the framerate is choppy (or would prefer not to) and so they get excited when they can see SHINY new games running at 60.

I wasn't interested in another version of OoT until this thread. Playing OoT:The Perfect Version will definitely be something me and my wallet are interested in.

I'm speaking from my own perspective, the one in which a game being 30fps or 60fps doesn't matter unless it is debilitating to what would otherwise be a great game. If the developer cannot find a framerate for their design at which the design shines, odds are it was never going to be a great game in the first place. As such, I couldn't give a crap.

And now I'm contributing to the framerate discussion... Ugh.

ryan-ts

Here I am checking out the videos before I read the comments expecting everyone to be as giddy as a small child on Christmas. I scroll down and what are half of the posts? Whining. Leave cry babies, I said leave.

Empty

ocarina of time looks amazing. really appreciating the uncluttered, minimal hud, so much better than the huge monstrosities we normally get from 3d zelda games.

Vinci said:
I'm speaking from my own perspective, the one in which a game being 30fps or 60fps doesn't matter unless it is debilitating to what would otherwise be a great game. If the developer cannot find a framerate for their design at which the design shines, odds are it was never going to be a great game in the first place. As such, I couldn't give a crap.

And now I'm contributing to the framerate discussion... Ugh.
all i care about is this.

i didn't play Ocarina when it came out. i tried to play it after Wind Waker, and i couldn't get past the old school framerate and uber loose controls that came with it.

i just want 30 fps or better so that i can finally enjoy this classic and i can stop feeling like a framerate asshole for ignoring it.

i tried three times. don't hate me.

Shiggy

Easy_D said:
Are you seriously comparing OOT3DS to Maio 64? :lol
You just made my day :D.

People, we need some comparison pics up in this bitch.

No, I didn't. I said that it looked like a DS+ title, i.e. with only few enhancements.

Even in 2005 I thought that these textures looked ugly as hell. You cannot tell me that the GameCube wasn't capable of doing much more.
the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20061110095621277.jpg

Especially after the great looking Wind Waker.

@Boney
Doesn't matter if they cannot produce good-looking textures :/
I don't like these pixelised and blurry pieces, that's my problem.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oh man, I'd love a Wind Waker port on this T_T

Also for a second I thought the light reflecting on the 3DS' case was the fairy :lol :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
plagiarize said:

yes, it has dated more than Wind Waker has, but are you forgetting the 'wow' factor of the trailers for it?

i can't vouch for all the textures and models, but pretty much everything in this video and the others, looks to be all redone. environment geometry, hard to say, but the models and the textures look new.
The geometry is most likely entirely remade too. You can notice this in pretty much all of the E3 shots showing the overworld. There are actual cliffsides/mountains now rather than flat cardboard textures acting as walls.

Vinci

Danish
plagiarize said:
all i care about is this.

i didn't play Ocarina when it came out. i tried to play it after Wind Waker, and i couldn't get past the old school framerate and uber loose controls that came with it.

i just want 30 fps or better so that i can finally enjoy this classic and i can stop feeling like a framerate asshole for ignoring it.

i tried three times. don't hate me.

I'm not hating you. At all. Your standards change from generation to generation - and given your scenario, that seems to be the case - and I'm not talking about that. What I'm saying is, within a generation... if a game comes out that has a framerate that truly diminishes the impact or quality of the game, then the developer failed to deliver a good game. I don't care what sans the framerate, it might have been - all I care about is that the developer made choices that were contradictory to the seemingly intended design. At which point, yeah, that makes me question the quality of the design as a whole. In essence, what I'm saying is... in a great game, I shouldn't even be aware of the framerate. If I am, something's wrong, and that means poor choices were made.

jett

D-Member
OOT3D is a quickie revamped port, definitely not a full-blown remake. I expected that at first but I made my peace with what it really is a long time ago.

I think a good comparison would be what Mario 64 DS is to the original.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I can't see shit. Obviously. These videos are worse than useless - they make it look like a PSP. I imagine Nintendo will go bananas with kiosks so folks can see the effect IRL.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The MGS3 port doesn't really look all that much different from the PS2 game, though. They simply have a better place to start from (a PS2 game as opposed to starting from an N64 title).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shiggy said:
Even in 2005 I thought that these textures looked ugly as hell. You cannot tell me that the GameCube wasn't capable of doing much more.

Can and will. Massive draw distances with absolutely zero pop-in (enemies and objects rendered fully as far as you can see), grass, water effects, day/night cycle, very nice triangle count, and more than acceptable textures on characters and important ojbects.

At least in the texture department, it's not a good comparsion to Wind Waker, a game where many textures were single tones highlighted with shading.

Spiegel

dark10x said:
The MGS3 port doesn't really look all that much different from the PS2 game, though. They simply have a better place to start from (a PS2 game as opposed to starting from an N64 title).

That's true and maybe both are lazy remakes, but in the end one looks PS2+ and the other N64+.

bon

Shiggy said:
http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/745/745228/the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20061110095621277.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]
Still looks good. You have foiled your own point by posting a pretty screenshot from TP.

Shiggy

EatChildren said:
Can and will. Massive draw distances with absolutely zero pop-in (enemies and objects rendered fully as far as you can see), grass, water effects, day/night cycle, very nice triangle count, and more than acceptable textures on characters and important ojbects.

That's true, but they could've solved it differently, e.g. like in StarFox Adventures where different parts of the world were already in the cache, but all the details were loaded as soon as you approached them. Of course, there was not a huge overworld, but it looked much better at least.
And an empty and boring overworld with nothing to do and blurry textures was all but impressive. It appears as if the Zelda team thought "the bigger the better", which sadly wasn't the case.

At least in the texture department, it's not a good comparsion to Wind Waker, a game where many textures were single tones highlighted with shading.

Quite right, the style hid some of the graphical issues TP had.

bon said:
Still looks good. You have foiled your own point by posting a pretty screenshot from TP.

Now come on...

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
ryan-ts said:
Here I am checking out the videos before I read the comments expecting everyone to be as giddy as a small child on Christmas. I scroll down and what are half of the posts? Whining. Leave cry babies, I said leave.
you know, neogaf

Top Bottom