• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS gameplay videos at Nintendo Conference from MXTV

jett said:
Stop it. I'm not gonna get into this dumb argument. You can't tell if a game runs at 60fps from a youtube clip and that's all there is to it.
I gotta say that right now he's presenting a much more persuasive case than you. I'd personally like to hear more. Brain_Stew seems to agree with you so I'm assuming you may well be right, but I'd like to know why.

WillyFive

plagiarize said:
your 480i tv doesn't run at 30fps. just so you know.

Certainly isn't the framerate from progressive scan.

grab me a frame from this video that looks like a frame from your gifs (and isn't showing ghosting from the other viewpoint).

Impossible. Not only is most of the footage features the ghosting from the 3D, I can't work with video like that.

Just see the difference between Ridge Racer 3DS and OoT 3DS. The video is the same framerate, but the games certainly aren't, and you can tell the difference.

jett said:
the animation in the second one is cycling twice as fast as the other.

lol Well, of course it is. That's the point.

Here is one with a slower cycle, at 1 frame per .5 frame.

1565063-6.gif

Frames don't disappear completely when you have a lower framerate. It's usually interlaced or blended together, causing motion blur. Motion blur happens when what you are recording is moving faster than what your recording device can detect, whether it be a video camera or your eyes.

Boney

Banned
Fantastical said:
WTF at RE:R's aiming. You hit the right bumper to go into first person mode which you control with the slide pad? I'm not so sure about this.

I'm more and more worried about Nintendo's decision to shy away from the touch screen in place of the single slide pad. They really should have added another stick on it.
RE4 ring a bell?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Willy105 said:
Certainly isn't the framerate from progressive scan.

Impossible. Not only is most of the footage features the ghosting from the 3D, I can't work with video like that.

Just see the difference between Ridge Racer 3DS and OoT 3DS. The video is the same framerate, but the games certainly aren't, and you can tell the difference.
in 480i it runs at 50hz, so you'd get 50 frames per second from a 60 fps game and 24 frames per second in a 30 fps game.
(I have a feeling I'm super wrong on this so don't shoot me, tech gurus :lol )

Fantastical said:
WTF at RE:R's aiming. You hit the right bumper to go into first person mode which you control with the slide pad? I'm not so sure about this.

I'm more and more worried about Nintendo's decision to shy away from the touch screen in place of the single slide pad. They really should have added another stick on it.

Yeah, I don't see why they couldn't just embrace two sticks on a device like that.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Himuro said:
...RE4/5 only use one stick.
But it's not the same perspective... I don't know, it looked weird. Why don't they just do third person? Or put a red dot like in RE4/RE5 for aiming. Perhaps I'm just thinking it would be awkward and I need to play it, but it looked awkward to me.

Edit: Also in RE4/RE5, you move with one stick and aim with another. It's been a while since I've played either so you can't move and aim at the same time, right? But the different stick for the different function feels more natural to me I guess. Using the slide pad for both aiming and movement seems strange.

Fantastical said:
But it's not the same perspective... I don't know, it looked weird. Why don't they just do third person? Or put a red dot like in RE4/RE5 for aiming. Perhaps I'm just thinking it would be awkward and I need to play it, but it looked awkward to me.
The red dot was necessary for over the shoulder aiming, which I think would be impractical on the small screen of the 3DS. They don't want Jill's shoulder blocking half your view. At least that's my assumption.

Boney

Banned
Fantastical said:
Look how damn close that regenerator seems to get in 1st person. God damn freaky.

You can always just get RE:Mercenaries with regular 3rd person if you want.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ignis Fatuus said:
The red dot was necessary for over the shoulder aiming, which I think would be impractical on the small screen of the 3DS. They don't want Jill's shoulder blocking half your view. At least that's my assumption.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ignis Fatuus said:
That combined with the tight hallways plus an enhanced 3D effect is probably why they went with a first person view.

jett

D-Member
Ignis Fatuus said:
I gotta say that right now he's presenting a much more persuasive case than you. I'd personally like to hear more. Brain_Stew seems to agree with you so I'm assuming you may well be right, but I'd like to know why.

He presented two animated gifs, one made to animate twice as fast as the other. :lol What a case!

What do you mean why? Youtube videos are encoded at thirty frames per second. A 60fps game will lose half its frames in the encoding process. That's just the facts. Nevermind that the probably digital camera the japanese show used no doubt recorded at 30fps to being with!

Anyone who's familiar with 60fps will tell you that does not look like 60fps. This for instance does not look like anything like what the actual game does running in front of you.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Ignis Fatuus said:
But then they go and do RE: Mercenaries 3D in that perspective, so I don't get it...

plagiarize said:
yeah it's been too long since you played them.

that's not how it works.
Lol okay. I guess it is about time to play RE4 again for the 10th time...

Easy_D said:
in 480i it runs at 50hz, so you'd get 50 frames per second from a 60 fps game and 24 frames per second in a 30 fps game.
(I have a feeling I'm super wrong on this so don't shoot me, tech gurus :lol )
you're only wrong in that it's only 50Hz in some territories. in the US it's 60Hz.

480i updates 60 times a second, but it only updates half the image each time (so, all the odd lines, then all the even lines). so, if you're playing a 60 fps game, you'll see half of each frame, and if you're playing a 30 fps game, you'll see each complete frame eventually, though you'll still have interlaced in betweens, if that makes sense.

AOAO
ABAB
CBCB
CDCD
EDED
EFEF

is how it'd display 60 fps, if each letter is a frame.

AOAO
AAAA
BABA
BBBB
CBCB
CCCC
DCDC

is how it'd display 30 fps, if each letter is a frame.

clear difference anyways.

Fantastical said:

Edit: Also in RE4/RE5, you move with one stick and aim with another. It's been a while since I've played either so you can't move and aim at the same time, right? But the different stick for the different function feels more natural to me I guess. Using the slide pad for both aiming and movement seems strange.
yeah it's been too long since you played them.

that's not how it works.

Chao

Somnid said:
A ridiculous solution and that still doesn't even solve the problem of how you are supposed to view it.
Youtube, cross eyed. It's almost 2011, I assumed you knew that already.

Vinci

Danish
Green Scar said:
We lose him and his glorious tag and forum self-esteem goes down the shitter overnight. He's essential!

But he's acting as catalyst for one of those dumb discussions about framerates and other assorted technical detail anal analysis. He shouldn't be banned - he should simply stop talking about it.

Boney said:
One is an action game, the other one isn't.
That's pretty much it. I think it'd be scarier to see a Regenerator approaching you in 3D in the first person.

jett said:
He presented two animated gifs, one made to animate twice as fast as the other. :lol What a case!

What do you mean why? Youtube videos are encoded at thirty frames per second. A 60fps game will lose half its frames in the encoding process. That's just the facts. Nevermind that the probably digital camera the japanese show used no doubt recorded at 30fps to being with!

Anyone who's familiar with 60fps will tell you that does not look like 60fps. This for instance does not look like anything like what the actual game does running in front of you.
He presented a .gif but you weren't really presenting anything, hence my request for more information. I know that Youtube videos are 30fps but the point about pixel blurring when taking videos of 60fps material seems to make sense. I don't think anyone is saying the video looks identical to 60fps or whatever, but rather that you can tell that there's a difference.

Regardless even a locked 30fps would be solid and a vast improvement over whatever the fuck was going on in the original. There's really no reason not to have 60fps though, it's not like the game is pushing the graphical envelope on the 3DS.

WillyFive

Vinci said:
But he's acting as catalyst for one of those dumb discussions about framerates and other assorted technical detail anal analysis. He shouldn't be banned - he should simply stop talking about it.

If you feel it's getting out of hand, I can stop. It is kinda off-topic anyway.

ShinNL

jett said:

That's a direct-feed, not the same as off-screen recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=236yjY0O46w

The motion blur argument is correct.

Soneet said:
That's a direct-feed, not the same as off-screen recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=236yjY0O46w

The motion blur argument is correct.
That's good to know. The Zelda video does look smoother than Ridge Racer, though that may mean that Ridge Racer is less than 30fps or it could just be my imagination.

neo2046 said:
Needs more troops on screen at the same time. A million would be nice.

Vinci

Danish
Willy105 said:
If you feel it's getting out of hand, I can stop. It is kinda off-topic anyway.

If you want to discuss it, you can, I suppose. But I've grown exhausted by this sort of discussion in reference to anything console or handheld related. Want impressive tech worth discussing? Game on a PC. Discussing it in reference to console and handheld gaming comes off as ridiculous as analyzing the AI in a Tiger Electronics baseball video game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
looks so shiny, that thing will be covered in fingerprints just by looking at it.

Why are there double images in the videos? Single camera lens should only ever show one eye's image right? Is it just because its off to the side, so not in the sweet spot?

Xdrive05

Anyone else think OOT 3DS might be ousing the WW/TP engine? No reason for them not to, since the 3ds seems to be well more capable than the gamecube. That's probably another nice thing about it: gamecube engines should port very nicely. Throw in some shaders coding and now you've got a stew going, baby!

Ignis Fatuus said:

Also the camera is still just off to the right when aiming, just much closer. Looks like it's literally an on the shoulder camera now. There's a laser sight too.

Azure J

Why, dear God did my sneakerhead ass blow my 3DS savings fund on kicks...

*watches OoT 3D Video*

WHYYYYYY?! It just totally figures that 3DS would just so happen to come up now. :lol

Ignis Fatuus said:
She's also all like "He really went in! He really went in!"

Giggity.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I was smiling all the way through that Zelda video. That game is going to be such a fucking delight to play again. The inventory screens scream ease of use this time around.

Boney

Banned
Xdrive05 said:
Anyone else think OOT 3DS might be ousing the WW/TP engine? No reason for them not to, since the 3ds seems to be well more capable than the gamecube. That's probably another nice thing about it: gamecube engines should port very nicely. Throw in some shaders coding and now you've got a stew going, baby!
carl-weathers.jpg

Ignis Fatuus said:

That assumption kinda fails when RE Mercenaries 3DS still uses the over the shoulder view.

Then again, RE:R is on a boat and more claustrophobic compared to the larger areas of RE4/5.

RE:R actually reminds me a lot of Resident Evil Dead Aim with the Guncon 2. It's on a boat, third person when moving around, then first person when aiming. That doesn't inspire confidence.

Princess Skittles said:
I hope the OOT Master Quest is part of the 3DS version.
This was the first thing I hoped for when I heard OoT was being remade. I get the feeling that it won't be included though.

Boney said:
Am I the only one not impressed at all with Zelda?
Depends where your expectations are, I suppose. This is the original OoT with graphics that faithfully bring the artwork to life, and a rock solid framerate. That's all I ever wanted or needed. I couldn't even replay OoT on the Gamecube because the framerate was so bad.

Then there's the fact that it's going to be in 3D. Do want.

I mean how much do you need to fuck with what was basically a perfect game? And no I never had trouble in the Water Temple.

Top Bottom