• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS release date set at Nov 20th in Japan?

Nuclear Muffin said:
Every single game in that launch lineup was a port except for Feel the Magic, Madden, Spider Man 2, Ping Pals and Tiger Woods (Metroid Prime Hunters doesn't count as it was just a demo)

The 3DS doesn't even have that luxury as the SF64 and OoT remakes aren't nearly done and the only ports coming are Ridge Racer (PSP) and (probably a PSP port) Sims 3. There is also Street Fighter 4 but that isn't even 50% done yet so there's no way that will be ready for 2010 anyway.

I'm sure there are unknown ports headed to this thing. I expect a Nov launch in NA with Madden, DOA, Nintendogs, Ghost Recon and a couple of other titles as well as some VC stuff.

Nuclear Muffin said:
No way it will be 2010 for anyone outside Japan (and I have my doubts that even Japan would be getting it)

Nintendo (and Level 5 with Prof Layton) were the only ones to show off games that looked remotely close to finished at E3 (though I'm sure that Namco and EA would be glad to push their beta games out the door early to make the launch window)

If it was to launch this year, the only games that would be available would be Prof Layton, Ridge Racer, Sims 3, Steel Diver, Nintendogs + Cats and maybe Kid Icarus.

There's a reason why Nintendo did not announce Golden Sun DD's release date within their initial US release date list and its because they weren't sure if their 3DS games would make it in time (it's their trump card that will carry the DS through the holidays)

The console will launch in March/April alongside the aforementioned titles (as well as Super Street Fighter 4, Pilotwings and Pokemon Black & White in the same week)
Whichever way the release date falls, this thread is going to be rife with great bits of crow bait.

Boney

Banned
Don't get me wrong, DS is gonna do great thanks to their evergreens, but I don't think Golden Sun will push any hardware.

As for the faq... teehee

Vinci

Danish
For the 3DS, I imagine Nintendo could get Nintedogs + Cats and maybe one other title out for launch. A combination of OOT, Kid Icarus, and +Cats would probably keep the thing perpetually sold out for the first three months alone. Hell, that's probably true even without +Cats. They can save Mario Kart for later.

Instro

Boney said:
Don't get me wrong, DS is gonna do great thanks to their evergreens, but I don't think Golden Sun will push any hardware.

As for the faq... teehee

You got the faq thread locked and now your moving onto this one, fuuuuuuuuuuu. :lol

Vinci

Danish
Boney said:
I believe neither Zelda nor Mario Kart will be on for launch. They gotta keep the momentum.

Why would Zelda not be for launch? It's a remake, for crying out loud, just as Mario 64 was. It's not as special as people are making it out to be.

Boney

Banned
Instro said:
You got the faq thread locked and now your moving onto this one, fuuuuuuuuuuu. :lol
reggie-not-my-problem-0908.jpg

Vinci said:
Why would Zelda not be for launch? It's a remake, for crying out loud, just as Mario 64 was. It's not as special as people are making it out to be.
A remake of one of the most heralded games of all times, they're gonna keep it for the November 2011. Starfox, Nintendogs, Kid Icarus and Steel Driver are good enough launch titles. No need to drown them with Ocarina being there.

I can't see Mario Kart 3DS being anything other than a Holiday 2011 release. If they released it alongside MGS3D and Resi they'd have the holiday NPDs sewn up.

Vinci

Danish
Boney said:
A remake of one of the most heralded games of all times, they're gonna keep it for the November 2011. Starfox, Nintendogs, Kid Icarus and Steel Driver are good enough launch titles. No need to drown them with Ocarina being there.

What was Mario 64 exactly then? Last I looked, yeah, pretty highly regarded. And I'm sorry, but Ocarina is not going to drown out brand new titles. People have been playing Ocarina (either directly or through its various wannabe sequels) for quite a long time.

Boney

Banned
Vinci said:
What was Mario 64 exactly then? Last I looked, yeah, pretty highly regarded. And I'm sorry, but Ocarina is not going to drown out brand new titles. People have been playing Ocarina (either directly or through its various wannabe sequels) for quite a long time.
Well, we'll see, no need to get angry.

EDIT: I really want a Zero Mision style remake. But seeing as this is such a holy cow, it wouldn't surprise if they left it as is and add extras, but I'd be seriously dissapointed.

AniHawk

MGS 3D was Kojima saying "hey look we could probably do something like this maybe." OoT 3D was a little further along, except Aonuma was more like "yeah we're remaking it, but HOW?"

Vinci

Danish
Boney said:
Well, we'll see, no need to get angry.

I'm not angry. If I sound irritable, it's because I don't personally give a rat's ass about OOT and don't want it to fill a spot in the launch lineup that might go to something new and awesome.

AniHawk

Kenka said:
How many Nintendo titles were on the shelves on day 1 for NGC, DS and Wii ?

GC was Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race
DS was SM64 DS and Ridge Racer DS (and Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, but that was a demo)
Wii was TP, Excite Truck, and Wii Sports

The GC had some third party support in the form of Super Monkey Ball, THPS3, and Rogue Squadron II on launch day, and Pikmin and SSBM were released a couple weeks later. The DS's next Nintendo game was Wario Ware Touched, I think, three months later. The Wii had at least one Nintendo game every month until sometime in 2008, I think.

The DS was extremely rushed to the market.

Boney

Banned
Sadist said:
Don't worry guys, Ubisoft will be at your side during launch!

:lol
0.png

As for Ocarina, it's just such a big marketing ploy, that I don't see why would they have it at launch. They can save it to fill a great gap, and it's in their best interest to let the other launch games breathe, especially Kid Icarus if it makes it to launch.

Suzzopher

AniHawk said:
GC was Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race
DS was SM64 DS and Ridge Racer DS (and Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, but that was a demo)
Wii was TP, Excite Truck, and Wii Sports

The GC had some third party support in the form of Super Monkey Ball, THPS3, and Rogue Squadron II on launch day, and Pikmin and SSBM were released a couple weeks later. The DS's next Nintendo game was Wario Ware Touched, I think, three months later. The Wii had at least one Nintendo game every month until sometime in 2008, I think.

The DS was extremely rushed to the market.

Wasn't Wave Race Blue Storm day one with GC?

Spiegel

Kojima Productions made Peace Walker in ~ a year if we believe Kojima. Considering that in June he still didn't know what exactly MGS3D was going to be (remake, new game, spinoff,...), I'd say the earlier we can expect the game is Fall '11.

Sadist

Boney said:
Ghost Recon strategy.pic
It could be good, but do you remember Ubi´s DS launch line-up? It was horrible. Rayman 2 was mediocre, same goes for Asphalt Urban GT and Sprung... urggh.

At this point, Ubisoft will try to launch more titles but I'm not convinced yet.

- Hollywood 61 (codename) = puzzle/mystery game
- Battle of Giants: Dinosaur Strike = Dinosaur fighting game roar
- Driver Renegade = No idea how Ubi will handle the Driver license
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory = Remember the horrible DS game?
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon™ = looks like a Advance Wars kind of game, could be good.

Sega

Vinci said:
I'm not angry. If I sound irritable, it's because I don't personally give a rat's ass about OOT and don't want it to fill a spot in the launch lineup that might go to something new and awesome.
There aren't a limited number of allowable slots. And even if there were, then it'd be preferable to have one taken up by OoT with some extra work put into the new and awesome game to make it awesomer, right? I feel the same as you about OoT by the way. I just know that launch titles tend to rush development a bit, and if a game really is new and awesome, I want them to do it right. Either way, I don't think it would come out instead of something else. There have been larger launch lineups than this is likely to have.

Boney

Banned
Sadist said:
It could be good, but do you remember Ubi´s DS launch line-up? It was horrible. Rayman 2 was mediocre, same goes for Asphalt Urban GT and Sprung... urggh.

At this point, Ubisoft will try to launch more titles but I'm not convinced yet.

- Hollywood 61 (codename) = puzzle/mystery game
- Battle of Giants: Dinosaur Strike = Dinosaur fighting game roar
- Driver Renegade = No idea how Ubi will handle the Driver license
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory = Remember the horrible DS game?
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon™ = looks like a Advance Wars kind of game, could be good.
I'm sorry bud, but I'm not giving Ubisoft the benefit of doubt. Not with that Nintendo quality of theirs.

Vinci

Danish
Sega said:
There aren't a limited number of allowable slots. And even if there were, then it'd be preferable to have one taken up by OoT with some extra work put into the new and awesome game to make it awesomer, right? I feel the same as you about OoT by the way. I just know that launch titles tend to rush development a bit, and if a game really is new and awesome, I want them to do it right. Either way, I don't think it would come out instead of something else. There have been larger launch lineups than this is likely to have.

I wouldn't be shocked if Nintendo had a certain number of its own titles that it wants at launch. Maybe two or three. If OOT were chosen, I'd honestly be a little annoyed. I get what you're saying, but remakes are not an adequate launch substitute for something that is tailor-made for the platform.

I'm surprised that Nintendo isn't making some sort of '3DS Sports' to pack in, or sell as a launch game. If they did something like that, it could be the only launch game.

The more and more I think about it, OoT seems like it would make sense as a launch game. I mean, how hard could it be to remake that?

Vinci

Danish
Blu_LED said:
I'm surprised that Nintendo isn't making some sort of '3DS Sports' to pack in, or sell as a launch game. If they did something like that, it could be the only launch game.

Why would they make a 3DS Sports game? I mean, other than 3D, what would it bring to the table that was new?

Neo C.

Blu_LED said:
The 3DS doesn't have a new kind of control like the Wii had in 2006, therefore the biggest selling point isn't there for a "3DS Sports".

Edit: beaten.

Vinci said:
Because it's a remake, not a port. Miyamoto said that he does not want old Nintendo games to be pure ports, he wants there to be gameplay reasons to play the games again. And he said they were still trying to figure out what kind of stuff they could add to Zelda. Starfox, on the other hand, they were working on from the moment Miyamoto found out about the 3D display.

Note, Reggie *did* say the system was going to have the strongest third-party launch lineup in Nintendo history, so they may be fine with only one or two first party titles at launch.

ILikeFeet

Banned
N-Space comments on 3DS development.

NWR: Since n-Space has been all over the DS, have you thought about the 3DS at all?

TN: We saw the 3DS at E3. We were lucky enough to bump into Hideki Konno, who was the producer initially on Geist and also is the father of the 3DS. Konno-san ushered us into the 3DS area and skipped the line on the first day. It was just one of those things where everybody who sees it says the same thing. You have to see if to believe it.

So, we can't officially talk about anything 3DS-wise, so I can't confirm or deny anything, but I can just say we're really really excited about it. I think it's going to sell amazingly well, and it's an amazing system. I mean, ignoring the 3D effect, just how powerful it is. People are going to have their minds blown.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/24014

Sega

Blu_LED said:
I think a good one to pack in is that 3D pong game where it breaks away the wall to show a 3D view of whatever the camera sees. I don't think that one would bring in a lot of money, but would be a great way to show off a couple of aspects about the hardware.

I think Nintendo had to include a pack-in (in most territories) with the Wii because they had to convince non-gamers and gamers alike that taking a big step back in graphics was worth it for the then-unproven motion controls (which still may be unproven, but that's another conversation entirely). The 3DS doesn't have to convince most people, and has everything going for it. Even if it were in 2D, losing unquestionably THE biggest selling point of the system by a mile, everything else it offers is enough to bring it major success and to be understood.

Boney said:

This is being developed by the creator of the Xcom games actually, its definitely not shovelware and potentially one of the sleeper hits of the launch lineup. I wouldn't write it off, and nor would I scoff at a decent port of Chaos Theory which should also make it in time for launch.

N-Space said:
I mean, ignoring the 3D effect, just how powerful it is. People are going to have their minds blown.

It sure is! :D Can't believe we had so many doubters, I felt like I was the only one that grasped what a capable little machine this was going to be at times during the reveal and we've still got people that doubt its capabilities. Nintendo could have got away with much weaker hardware but its clear that they want to increase their appeal to western developers as well as PSP/PS3/360 gamers. I fully expect the Wii's successor to do the same.

Vinci

Danish
brain_stew said:
This is being developed by the creator of the Xcom games actually, its definitely not shovelware and potentially one of the sleeper hits of the launch lineup. I wouldn't write it off, and nor would I scoff at a decent port of Chaos Theory which should also make it in time for launch.

Whoa. Nice.

Vinci said:
Whoa. Nice.

Well it isn't 100% confirmed but we know he's working on a turn based strategy game for the 3DS, we know, we know he's currently working for Ubisoft and we know this is the only announced Ubisoft game that remotely fits, you connect the dots.

Sure it doesn't look graphically stunning or anything but that doesn't mean it isn't potentially going to be awesome and crucially it'll likely be one of the few 3DS launch titles with some serious depth and longevity.

Sadist said:
If Chaos Theory isn't as shit as the DS game a few years back, I'd give it a shot.

Well we already know the 3DS can handle Xbox ports just fine without skipping on any of the cool technology that is so crucial to the Splinter Cell games. A 3D Splinter Cell was never going to work on the NDS, even the PS2 and GCN couldn't do that series justice, so I wouldn't write it off based on that.

syoaran

I am totally broke right now - but with so many colleagues in Japan for the rest of the year this can only bode well.

If they do go region locking - going to go JPN all the way. Want my 3D One Piece fix!

Spiegel

Sadist said:
If Chaos Theory isn't as shit as the DS game a few years back, I'd give it a shot.

It shouldn't be, 3DS has enough horsepower to get a perfect (and even better) port.

Depending on the launch lineup it could be the best game to get.

FoneBone

brain_stew said:
Sure it doesn't look graphically stunning
It was almost certainly originally a DS game. Probably a number of the early 3DS games will be DS ports (just like how DS got a number of GBA ports in its first 6 months or so).

FoneBone said:
It was almost certainly originally a DS game. Probably a number of the early 3DS games will be DS ports (just like how DS got a number of GBA ports in its first 6 months or so).

That's the impression I get, yeah. On the bright side that means that the gameplay will likely be more fleshed out than a lot of other earlier titles and for a turn based strategy game, that's more important than flashy graphics (no matter how much I love them!) imo.

Spiegel said:
It shouldn't be, 3DS has enough horsepower to get a perfect (and even better) port.

Depending on the launch lineup it could be the best game to get.

Yep, that's the difference. The NDS title was always going to be compromised but Ubisoft really won't have to ditch anything bringing this over to the 3DS and its even possible that they could improve it in some areas. That's assuming they're smart enough to base it off the Xbox version of course.

Furret said:
Where did this screen come from? Is this Julian Gollop's game?

Instant GOTY if it is.

It's Ubisoft's Ghost Recon game announced at E3, so like 95% certain that this is Julian Gollop's title, yes. Unless Ubisoft have several turn based strategy games lined up for the 3DS launch, although I somehow doubt that.

Top Bottom