• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Retail Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medalion

Banned
VITA :

okay-9gag-face.large.jpg

Sorry about that feel.

Zzoram

100$ cheaper than the Vita. Yeah, I know what parents will buy.

Not only that but Nintendo is regarded to be Disney-like in that their products are child friendly but can be appreciated by adults.

Sony's advertisements do not appeal at all to the mothers who are making the decisions of what to buy their children.

OniShiro

Banned
I bought a second hand Vita with 16GB last friday and a PSN Plus subscription and I don't regret it at all.

The problem with nintendo is not the system price, it's their game prices, their games seem to never get cheaper even after a couple years on the market the games still cost the same, that's a big factor for me.

It's definitely the game prices which need the revamp. They don't need to go to crazy iphone app levels or anything but they really need to get lower. They just don't come down in price over time either.

The E-shop needs to get itself together too, Ocarina of Time is still the exact same price on the e-shop as it was when it launched as well as the way. (australian prices that is) There is barely anything up there either outside of Nintendo games. It's hopeless.
They said they were doing this as to not piss off retailers.....

Tookay

Nintendo should spend more money localizing games quicker and trying to help 3rd parties get their titles out instead of dropping the price. The biggest titles for 3DS in the past year have been super Mario 3DL, MK7, Mario power tennis, nsmb2, and paper Mario. There's way too much reliance on Mario and not enough else. I guess kid icarus and kingdom hearts also count but it's not enough. There's no excuse as to why animal crossing wasn't localised this year. Is pokemon monster dungeon releasing in the west this year or has that not been localised either?

The Mario reliance with the 3DS has reached its saturation point. I'm beginning to tune out.

I can't help but wonder if they're hurting their other franchises by focusing this aggressively on the Mario brand.

RM8

I think they just wanted to have everything Mario right from the start, since Mario games keep selling forever. We won't see new Mario Kart, NSMB, Paper Mario or Mario Tennis on 3DS - not that we won't ever see a 3DS Mario (there's still Golf, vs. DK, etc) but the clear big Mario titles are out there already.

Now it's Pokémon's time to hit the 3DS, I think.

Medalion

Banned
The Mario reliance with the 3DS has reached its saturation point. I'm beginning to tune out.

I can't help but wonder if they're hurting their other franchises by focusing this aggressively on the Mario brand.
The Mario reliance in general for all of Nintendo reached saturation way way before this

Tookay

The Mario reliance in general for all of Nintendo reached saturation way way before this

Perhaps, but the last year has been a particularly concentrated dose of it, with little concern as to how they're maybe damaging its potency as a "get out of jail free" card.

NateDrake

Perhaps, but the last year has been a particularly concentrated dose of it, with little concern as to how they're maybe damaging its potency as a "get out of jail free" card.

Most people don't look at Mario Tennis as a Mario game. We'll only get one Mario Kart on 3DS and probably only one NSMB game on 3DS. We may see another Super Mario 3D Land at some point though.

While true in the DS/Wii days they were more spread out and there were plenty of other major titles launched in between then. I haven't seen such a huge Mario concentration of titles since the gen days.

Most people don't look at Mario Tennis as a Mario game. We'll only get one Mario Kart on 3DS and probably only one NSMB game on 3DS. We may see another Super Mario 3D Land at some point though.
While true I think the lack of other titles and the rapid release of all of these titles is what really affects this perception. Mario is only going to appeal to so many people and with such a high concentration Mario titles will eat into others sales.

The peak of Mario games in NA in one year seems to be 2005, with 9 titles. 2004 had 9 as well, but two are NES Classics; and 2009, counting 4 DSiWare and 1 New Play Control.

Only considering games with Mario in the title, cause I was curious and wanted to do a quick search.

RyL

Banned
Nintendo Phone is definitely next.

- competitive with iPhone/iPad
- family friendly, for the ever expanding children's phone market
- core Nintendo franchises esp. Mario and Pokemon
- will work as controller for next home console system
- 3D, incl. cartridge slot for BC with 3DS titles.

They did look into it, won't happen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_WAOr9magM

And even if, it would be awful with a single-touch resistive touchscreen. Because they're idiots. Japan just being completely out of touch with everything nowadays. Less than 20% of Japanese people own a smartphone.

(http://www.stern.de/digital/telefon...rnet-deutschland-hinkt-hinterher-1874771.html) (use google translate)

Why is Nintendo doing this?

3DS sales in the US have been amazing.

Yea, I think you guys should file a complaint...

So sad that this is the attitude that makes handhelds struggle. "It's not better, but it fits my front pocket".

A single-purpose device is certainly not better than a multi-purpose device which is good at pretty much anything. (including gaming, I and the average person has no problems with touch/motion controls)
The apps & functions of the Vita/3ds are useless or/and laughable bad. But why do I even bother talking to you, someone who buys the 3DS again but in a different colour (according to an earlier post ITT) is certainly not rational or your average consumer.

And even if, it would be awful with a single-touch resistive touchscreen. Because they're idiots. Japan just being completely out of touch with everything nowadays. Less than 20% of Japanese people own a smartphone.

(http://www.stern.de/digital/telefon...rnet-deutschland-hinkt-hinterher-1874771.html) (use google translate)

The hell did you just link to? It literally has nothing to do with Japanese smart phone penetration.

Germany just before India
In Germany, according to the report presented by Google only 29 percent of the population have a smartphone - just over 23 percent in India. Greater dissemination among others in Austria (36 percent), Switzerland (43), in the United States (44) and Britain (51 percent).

Ponn

Banned
So is the $139.99 price drop for real or not? I picked up KH3D and FFTheater on sale for BF and i'm strongly considering selling my PS3 to pick up a purple 3DS before there gone.

Kanyon

I see Ninteno releasing a tablet/handheld and not a smartphone.

I could also see this happening, but if they want to compete with Apple & Google they can't be using this resistive touchscreen shit and they'll need to step up their designs to compete with these consumers electronics, if they are in fact going to go in that direction. I'm do envision that Nintendo's handheld and home systems will eventually merge down the track and become one 'device.' A device that's both portable and then docks with a base for TV play.

Nintendo are right in that you can't have rich, compelling gameplay experiences on touch devices as tactile controls cannot be beaten in a handheld. But I can also see the other side of the argument that iOS/Android gaming has become a huge market that just can't be ignored. Nintendo needs to come up with a compelling solution that entices the consumers of these iOS/Android devices to use their products that will give them a vastly superior gaming experience.

RM8

A single-purpose device is certainly not better than a multi-purpose device which is good at pretty much anything. (including gaming, I and the average person has no problems with touch/motion controls)
The apps & functions of the Vita/3ds are useless or/and laughable bad. But why do I even bother talking to you, someone who buys the 3DS again but in a different colour (according to an earlier post ITT) is certainly not rational or your average consumer.
I disagree. Dedicated cameras are better than phone cameras, drawing tablets are better for drawing than iPads or phones, and handheld gaming devices are better for gaming than touch-only devices which are severely limited for tons of genres. And was that jab really necessary? I'd sell my current 3DS if I get a purple one, just like how you'd sell your yearly released smartphone to get the new one.

this price cut won't do shit without games NOA. And I mean games plural. alot of people seem to think that the 3DS sales picked up because of a pricecut, super Mario 3D land and Mario Kart . That was not the case. Sales picked up because of a price cut and major releases for every month following that price cut. Ocarina of time, then star fox, then Pokemon rumble blast, then, 3D land, then Mario Kart was amazing IMO and made me think that NOA was actually competent. But if we don't get big games like that soon I'm gonna have to say I was wrong in thinking that

Huh? As of July this year, over 30% own smartphones. In certain younger (teens, 20s) age groups, the %ge is well over 50.

http://japan.internet.com/allnet/20120720/4.html

Smart phones are huge over here and are everywhere.

AniHawk

this price cut won't do shit without games NOA. And I mean games plural. alot of people seem to think that the 3DS sales picked up because of a pricecut, super Mario 3D land and Mario Kart . That was not the case. Sales picked up because of a price cut and major releases for every month following that price cut. Ocarina of time, then star fox, then Pokemon rumble blast, then, 3D land, then Mario Kart was amazing IMO and made me think that NOA was actually competent. But if we don't get big games like that soon I'm gonna have to say I was wrong in thinking that

pokemon black and black 2 and the other ones being 3ds games would have done wonders for the system out of the gate. as it is, there should be some pokemon game, somewhere, maybe in 2014, and next year will have animal crossing in the west with some c-tier and d-tier sales stuff like luigi's mansion and fire emblem, which is better than nothing.

maybe zelda is their next franchise holiday title. it would make the gap between new handheld zeldas about 4 years... that's about as long as we went between the oracles games and the minish cap.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I see Ninteno releasing a tablet/handheld and not a smartphone.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but Nintendo could easily make a tablet with a modified Android OS like what amazon did.

Would they? Probably not, but having it add some multifunction would add more value to the console and people would be more willing to buy it if it were a game console with a great web browser, mailing functions, music, and movie multimedia features,

Lets be honest, the 3DS sucks with that. It can't even load my piddly little blog that even my 10 year old laptop can.

Hero

pokemon black and black 2 and the other ones being 3ds games would have done wonders for the system out of the gate. as it is, there should be some pokemon game, somewhere, maybe in 2014, and next year will have animal crossing in the rest with some c-tier and d-tier sales stuff like luigi's mansion and fire emblem, which is better than nothing.

maybe zelda is their next franchise holiday title. it would make the gap between new handheld zeldas about 4 years... that's about as long as we went between the oracles games and the minish cap.

Yeah I'm hoping that we get an original Zelda on the 3DS next year as well.

I know usually the cycle for Pokemon games is Japan gets them in the fall period and the US gets them in the spring but I feel like the 3DS in the west could really use the boost from a main original Pokemon title sooner rather than later.

DSGamer

Neo Member

This. A thousand times this. I got about 8 hours into Paper Mario and realized I'm done with Mario for a while. Just sick of it. Plenty of good games to play on the Vita, so it's no loss. But I think my 3DS is going into a drawer until we see Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
$130 3DS... now thats a sorta acceptable price. I could handle that, specially since I missed out on my shot to get a dsi. What all colors are out for the regular 3ds?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
$130 3DS... now thats a sorta acceptable price. I could handle that, specially since I missed out on my shot to get a dsi. What all colors are out for the regular 3ds?

Well so far there's black, black, black, black, black(with some black on back) and black. Oh and red.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Well so far there's black, black, black, black, black(with some black on back) and black. Oh and red.
That sounds horrible x_x

wtf has NOA been doing the year+ it was out before the XL? Without even looking it up I'm super certain that at least japan got lotsa nice colors!

NateDrake

This. A thousand times this. I got about 8 hours into Paper Mario and realized I'm done with Mario for a while. Just sick of it. Plenty of good games to play on the Vita, so it's no loss. But I think my 3DS is going into a drawer until we see Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing.

But Paper Mario is unlike any other Mario game.

apana

I'm guessing the next Nintendo handheld will be very cheap to produce. No haptic feedback screen on the bottom. :(

This year (got the 3DS in Feb), I played SM3DL, MK7, MTO, NSMB2 and just starting Paper Mario. Don't feel any burn because they are all different genres. Now, putting two NSMB titles so close was bad timing, but I won't be getting a Wii U for a long time.

Its on NOA's twitter so its confirmed.

Now all we need is a price drop confirmation. I don't think its happening though :/

Would be cool if the XL dropped to $170 but that probably won't happen until after this bundle sales out. Already got MK7 and don't like blue...

NOA needs to release a actual color already. It always make me shake my head when they pretend they released red and blue but they didn't since its black on the inside and the black just doesn't look right on the 3DS. Maybe I'll get pink/white if it comes to a place where I don't need a credit card to order. But even then, they just had to make it a store exclusive...

To be honest, even white doesn't look that good. The 3DS XL just looks like the most horrible Nintendo handheld design in history except for maybe the original DS. It just looks bad to me. If they would've released a actual red color I might've gotten it. In my head that looks good atleast...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom