• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 of Street Fighter V Season 2 characters are going to be newcomers

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Hu11Pdm.jpg

They just announced 5 remaining characters in Season 2 are going to be completely new to the Street Fighter universe at Capcom Cup.
Credits to Ryce, God's Beard and Sinatar for bringing the news in other thread.

Ivan 3414

All these requests for countless older characters to return and this is the option they go for

Edit: not the best title OP

Moonlight

Banned
I'm not sure that's the way to turn this game's fortunes around, but I guess it's not the worst thing ever.

RIP seeing Makoto ever again though.

I'm kind of glad actually. I'm guessing a mix of unused Final Fight characters / Rival Schools / characters from other Capcom properties / Ingrid, and maybe new characters.

Jaeger

This is fine for me. How many sequels of Street Fighter do we need with the same cast over and over again.

Zapages

My guess would some of the characters from new story will made into full time characters. :|

So much for Q, Oro, Sakura, and all the other requested characters. :|

dezzy8

Hopefully its characters from their other franchises. Rival school or Darkstalker characters anybody? I would be hyped as fuck if they did something like that.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm rooting for Australian fighter so they could add the train stage they cut awhile ago. Their excuse for not including that stage is they doesn't have any Australian representative.

hDUCvAl.png

Pompadour

They already said one of the characters can be played with only four buttons so I'm expecting a Tekken or King of Fighters guest character, or both.

If Street Fighter is having issues reaching casual players then digging into deep in the Street Fighter roster isn't going to fix that issue. Capcom is probably going to do what every other mainstream fighting game is doing now and add guest characters. Maybe they'll add a Rival Schools character or a complete newcomer but I'm sure at least two are characters from non-Capcom properties.

Ryce

You should use this pic in the OP.

And here’s the exact quote from the stream: "The five remaining characters are completely new to the Street Fighter universe."

You should use this pic in the OP.

And here’s the exact quote from the stream: "The five remaining characters are completely new to the Street Fighter universe."

That makes it sound like one or more will be characters will be guest characters, and that none of them will have already existed in the story of the game

Renekton

So who are new to this universe?

• Helen (Kolin)
  • One of the dolls (e.g. Satsuki, Santamu)
  • Ed
  • Azam
  • Tekken guest character
  • Capcom character (could be anyone from Asura to Leon Kennedy)

Neoxon

I'm honestly conflicted. While I'm glad that Capcom has the balls to go with mostly newcomers, I was hoping for some veterans to return in Season 2.

I suppose there's always Season 3, but still.

i get why people would get mad at this but it's nice to capcom willing to put in new characters

but maybe they shouldn't have all 5 be new, maybe just 2

Lren

Will be interesting to see the new characters and what they bring to the table. Looking forward to playing Akuma in this though, can start playing a shoto again!

So who are new to this universe?

• Helen (Kolin)
  • One of the dolls (e.g. Satsuki, Santamu)
  • Ed
  • Azam
  • Tekken guest character
  • Capcom character (could be anyone from Asura to Leon Kennedy)
Their wording seems to imply that these 5 characters didn't even exist in the game world before Season 2 so that might even rule out characters that have been in previous stories/cutscenes etc.

Korigama

I would've thought it was obvious that that wasn't Sakura (looks a lot like she's carrying a sword, not that I'm expecting her to actually use it).

kirblar

Their wording seems to imply that these 5 characters didn't even exist in the game world before Season 2 so that might even rule out characters that have been in previous stories/cutscenes etc.
Yeah it's just hard to know how strict to be until we see newbie 1.

VariantX

Kind of weird they do this. TBH, people wanting fan favorites would just use their leftover fight money to buy akuma and ignore the rest. Its removing incentives for people with casual interest wanting familiar faces to return to bother purchasing a season pass. That aside, will be interesting to see them from a mechanical and design standpoint.

Capcom is supporting this game until 2020, so they're playing the long game

Sagat/Sakura stans I'm sure they're coming eventually, lol.

Mik317

I personally dont mind it but i think its not a good move, not with the game's current state.

probably won't but eh not exactly sure Sagat would change anything drastic either. Who knows perhaps one of these new characters break out?

Outside of the SF2 cast...many people's faves were new at one point too...perhaps even to detriment of old standbys.

Renekton

I was interpreting it as new to SF universe as of SFV. So that may qualify Helen and adult Ed but maybe not Santamu.

Durden77

I like the cojones Capcom. I'm definitely in favor of this, especially because I imagine Season 3 will be all vets.

Then again I've got Guile so I'm satisfied. Sorry for anyone that doesn't have their character yet. But I'm excited to see some brand new characters to Street Fighter. Especially because I feel like the newcomers in V are better than the IV ones so far.

wamberz1

Disappointed by no Azam, but still prefer this over bringing back veterans. This will let them stretch their creative muscles more.

Zapages

definitely feels like dumb decision by Capcom... Also probably was most financially sound decision for them to do this.

Top Bottom