• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 of Street Fighter V Season 2 characters are going to be newcomers

mollipen

I'm worried about what it might mean fanbase-wise, but the more I think about things, the happier I am that we'll have another year with one one SF2 char being added. It'll keep the game feeling a bit fresher and different.

And I instantly thought "totally new" at first, but this can mean non-SF main series Capcom chars like Rival Schools, which is exciting.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Anyone who wants to play Sakura or C. Viper should play SF4.
Anyone who wants to play Oro or Q should play SF3.
When SF6 comes out people will be requesting these new characters from SF5.
The cycle always repeats. Every character was new at one time.

I hope one of them is King Cobra

latest

Drayco21

A bunch of completely new characters? That's certainly not encouraging me to buy the game, that's for sure.

Skullomania dreams never die, though!

DD-11

There's no way we don't also get sagat, Sakura, etc as a pack before the year is up. It'll be an anniversary pack or something. Its just bad business not to have sagat in the first two years of SF. They can do more than 6 characters in a year.

That being said, I'm happy to get new characters.

cordy

Banned
Nope.

Akuma is going to be fun to play but nah I'm not getting the Season Pass for these others. I wanted classics, not new characters. I'll skip until then.

People really want them to just do old characters forever? How boring. I'm glad Capcom is not that boring. How can you not get excited for five new characters? WTF?

WetWaffle

People really want them to just do old characters forever? How boring. I'm glad Capcom is not that boring. How can you not get excited for five new characters? WTF?

If Street Fighter 3 is any indication, one must catch and hook the potential audience BEFORE making these kind of bold decisions. And what would make an old street fighter player interested in the new one?

remz

If Street Fighter 3 is any indication, one must catch and hook the potential audience BEFORE making these kind of bold decisions. And what would make an old street fighter player interested in the new one?
Aren't all the old sf players already playing...

Personally I hate it when a new version of a fighter comes out and the new characters are 3-6 old fogeys and like 1-2 New charas (lookin at you xrd)

Renekton

Maybe if the old vets already panned SFV, they likely ain't coming back regardless.

(Sorry Bonchan!)

DJwest

So no Q, no Sagat? This is how you believe you're going to turn the fortunes of the game around? By neglecting fan favourites? This is very disappointing.

WetWaffle

Personally I hate it when a new version of a fighter comes out and the new characters are 3-6 old fogeys and like 1-2 New charas (lookin at you xrd)

If the old sf players were already playing, it would have reached Capcom's (lowered) expectations no? As it stands, It's seen a huge dropoff from Sf4, that's undeniable. I'm just saying some more people might get the game if their favorite character or main was introduced in the game

WetWaffle

Maybe if the old vets already panned SFV, they likely ain't coming back regardless.

(Sorry Bonchan!)

That's the thing though. Capcom hasn't even begun to address people's criticisms of the game., aside from the general (godawful) story mode. They can potentially fix all of this, and give the game another chance with a new version/re-release.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore

I'm not playing... was waiting for my fav characters to play. Guess its sf6 for me...

remz

If the old sf players were already playing, it would have reached Capcom's (lowered) expectations no? As it stands, It's seen a huge dropoff from Sf4, that's undeniable. I'm just saying some more people might get the game if their favorite character or main was introduced in the game
I guess if I was a capcom bean counter that might actually bother me

I mean, maybe this old player likes to play Street Fighter games?

I know certain fighting game franchise fans get really attached to their favorite characters, and I get that, but these fans tend to make them seem so much more important than they actually are. If people were only willing to play characters they already knew then Street Fighter 2 never would have been a success in the first place. Nobody would have bothered with Mortal Kombat, SNK would have failed immediately, Namco never would have bothered launching Tekken (to say nothing of Soul Edge!), etc. (To be fair, Smash would have been okay.)

You make a fun fighting game, you market it well, and people will play it. Capcom isn't losing hundreds of thousands of potential players because they haven't included Blanka in SF5. Returning characters make marketing slightly easier, of course, but it's not some enormous issue.

A new cast wasn't even in SF3's top three issues for its relative lack of success. It had problems more because it had a tiny cast, its hardware was expensive and unwanted, it didn't get good console ports for ages, it was released in a rushed state, the arcade market was dying in the US, and so on. Those were all far bigger issues than not including E. Honda and Sagat. We can see that releasing an unfinished fighter absolutely crushed SF5, that alone is a major, massive handicap.

Matticers

I'm only a casual player who likes Sagat and I was going to jump back in when they add him so.... boo at this system.

I like this decision it means Capcom hasn't lost hope on the game yet or Sony gave them some more cash. Desperate cheap Capcom would have put in Evil Ryu, Sakura, Dan, Violent Ken, Oni, and Decapre

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore

I know certain fighting game franchise fans get really attached to their favorite characters, and I get that, but these fans tend to make them seem so much more important than they actually are. If people were only willing to play characters they already knew then Street Fighter 2 never would have been a success in the first place. Nobody would have bothered with Mortal Kombat, SNK would have failed immediately, Namco never would have bothered launching Tekken (to say nothing of Soul Edge!), etc. (To be fair, Smash would have been okay.)

You make a fun fighting game, you market it well, and people will play it. Capcom isn't losing hundreds of thousands of potential players because they haven't included Blanka in SF5. Returning characters make marketing slightly easier, of course, but it's not some enormous issue.

A new cast wasn't even in SF3's top three issues for a relative lack of success. It had problems more because it had a tiny cast, its hardware was expensive and unwanted, it didn't get good console ports for ages, it was released in a rushed state, the arcade market was dying in the US, and so on. Those were all far bigger issues than not including E. Honda and Sagat. We can see that releasing an unfinished fighter absolutely crushed SF5, that alone is a major, massive handicap.

The music for me killed SF3, I also never cared for the cast. For me personally those were the main reasons I never got into it when it was released...

Right now I'm not feeling the idea. I'm all for new characters, but 5 unknowns in one season is too much, particularly when we don't know anything about them before the season pass goes up.

Street Fighter already has an absolutely massive roster, and they have to expect that people will be disappointed that most players will have to wait even longer at even a chance of seeing some more of their returning favs back in SFV. For a game that still needs to expand to a larger audience, it's a risky move to potentially alienate more fence sitters.

I hope it works out, or that perhaps this is a bit of a misdirect, but it's disappointing for me personally. I'll definitely give the new characters a shot, but I was looking forward to the S2 announcement for a long time, and this tempers that excitement down quite a lot.

At what point does that happen? The game release itself had mostly classic characters and they just had a whole DLC season of only classic characters.

New character in a new fighting game is a bold decision? Sigh. Maybe you're right, I don't know, but that's .. very sigh.

WetWaffle

We don't know the dlc sale though, right?. Maybe the dlc sales are higher than they expected
Yes, as I said that's a possibility. But if the sales were higher than expected, wouldn't you expect them to make a note of that in their quarter reports or whatever to lessen the blow of them failing to even come close to their expectations.
I guess if I was a capcom bean counter that might actually bother me
It's not supposed to bother you. Just now, 2 people chimed in saying because their favorite characters aren't in, they're not playing the game, there's a sizeable amount of people like that. I was just addressing your statement that old sf players are already playing.

A new cast wasn't even in SF3's top three issues for a relative lack of success. It had problems more because it had a tiny cast, its hardware was expensive and unwanted, it didn't get good console ports for ages, it was released in a rushed state, the arcade market was dying in the US, and so on. Those were all far bigger issues than not including E. Honda and Sagat. We can see that releasing an unfinished fighter absolutely crushed SF5, that alone is a major, massive handicap.
I'm aware SF3's biggest problem wasn't its cast, but it had a sizeable effect at least. And things aren't as simple as "Make a good game. Market it well.??? Profit" anymore. Every new fighter has to establish a base, whether its sf or kof, but from that point on, people have expectations on what the sequel will have.As you said, it didn't help that Capcom also made an incomplete game but all the more reason to start fixing it instead of building a deeper hole. The moment Capcom saw the reception to sfv, they should have stopped dead and go "how the fuck do we fix this" instead of this. Also I think you're underestimating how much people want their favorite character to return to a more modern sf game

Renekton

So why is pandering a good virtue now? Didn't this use to mean cynical, lazy and uncreative?

Are we... getting old D:

WetWaffle

what about garbage characters?

Hey man, Makoto is/can be a good character. They just have to give her some character other than "My Dojo is the best!!!" and "Angry yelling karate chick". Maybe expand on that apparent rivalry with ibuki. Oh and make her faster, that'll do wonders.

WetWaffle

At what point does that happen? The game release itself had mostly classic characters and they just had a whole DLC season of only classic characters.

New character in a new fighting game is a bold decision? Sigh. Maybe you're right, I don't know, but that's .. very sigh.

I mean, I want new characters as much as the next guy, but I guess some people don't like having to learn all new characters cause their favorite didn't make it. You can never please everyone but it seems Capcom isn't even trying . I mean, we're gonna have to wait until around 2018 for fucking Sagat, think about that.

Ballsy move, I like it! All the sf5 newcomers are badass already though, so they have a high bar to meet.
I would say they better not all just be reskinned older character move sets, but I kinda have faith in capcom on that front atleast. They've kept 5's cast good and varied so far.

Top Bottom