• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 of Street Fighter V Season 2 characters are going to be newcomers

This is just guesswork, but when I look at the silhouette I see some kind of trench coat.

lvP1Sht.png

It might actually be an Australian character wearing a duster. It's a major country without representation, and Capcom has a really cool concept for an Australian stage set on a moving train.

EqIiKZ6.jpg

We need an Australian bad. I really want a Zangief style gator wrestler.

thelastword

Banned
I didn’t do a perfect job, but I overlaid all the shots of silhouette #2 to get a better idea of what the character might look like.

kJ5IpgA.png

I don’t think it’s an existing character but rather somebody completely new (in the vein of Rashid and Necalli).
Dudley is back?

It doesn't look anything like Azam to me. Azam doesn't have studs/nails in his neck, and he has a giant ponytail that would be visible in the silhouette.

IuMZ8lm.png

If it's an existing character and not somebody entirely new then I think it's Abigail. The hair, forehead and choker match.

lhdpjiy.png

Does Birdie have any noteworthy relations?

The first couple silhouettes made me think the CPT art of Goutetsu, Matt McCoy, Setsuki and Rook were it but the new shadows make it seem at least those first two are off. Huh.

no previously playable characters, right?

watch it be Gotch, Dudley's butler

rounding out the cast will be Effie, Jean Reno, and Ibuki's pet racoon dog

The SF3 sidekicks expansion

Ryce

Further evidence in favor of Abigail: the studded choker could be a reference to the Road Warriors, who were big in Japan in the '80s/early ‘90s, just like Andre the Giant, who inspired Hugo. Nakayama, SFV's director, is a massive wrestling fan. Abigail already has a mohawk and face paint like the Road Warriors.

670PijE.png
lhdpjiy.png

Zubz

Banned
As much as I want Final Fight characters, I'd rather not have Abigail. In fact, I might be willing to take anyone else from Final Fight. I hate his design.

That said, you make a compelling case, Ryce. It very well may be him.

Got too excited over the resemblance ;_;

Same here. If we didn't know there'd be no additional veterans, I'd've said that would've put Dudley on lock.

Granted, I really love Dudley & would probably try to make a case for him any way I can.

We should all be pissed if it does turn out to be him, and he doesn't have the hexagonal hair. We need the hex in our lives, so do it right or just leave it out.

Further evidence in favor of Abigail: the studded choker could be a reference to the Road Warriors, who were big in Japan in the '80s/early ‘90s, just like Andre the Giant, who inspired Hugo. Nakayama, SFV's director, is a massive wrestling fan. Abigail already has a mohawk and face paint like the Road Warriors.

670PijE.png
lhdpjiy.png

Please not another big, ugly, dumb, black character.

Capcom, there are normal sized, intelligent and attractive black males in the world. Think about putting one in yours.

Zubz

Banned
So out of the remaining 4 newcomers, one is obviously Satsuki. Currently, my guess is that the big one might be Abigail, one may be a 100% newcomer (Maybe an Australian), & the last one is a guest character, if only for that talk of a 4-Button fighter.

Pretty sure he's white tho?

Yup. I agree w/ Spazchicken that we need a black character who isn't just a hulking stereotype, though. The only ones we have right now are Dudley & Elena (And even then, they each cover 1/2 of those qualifiers to a degree, as much as I love them/how it isn't really egregious, especially in Dudley's case).

Ryce

My current predictions:
  1. Akuma - the iconic demon
  2. Kolin - existing woman from SF lore playable for the first time (SF's first ice character)
  3. original man from new country with new fighting style
  4. Abigail - existing man from SF lore playable for the first time (tallest character in SF history)
  5. original woman from new country with new fighting style
  6. Garuda - the obscure demon, playable for the first time in the main series
That would give us two first timers (male/female) and two originals (male/female) sandwiched between the demonic Akuma and Garuda.

I just can't imagine why GARUDA of all people would be the EX rep. He's a Bishamon ripoff with random spikes being generated randomly through his body. EX has a bunch of cool character, but he's not one of them.

Zubz

Banned
I just can't imagine why GARUDA of all people would be the EX rep. He's a Bishamon ripoff with random spikes being generated randomly through his body. EX has a bunch of cool character, but he's not one of them.

Yeah. Plus, hasn't Capcom stated they're well-aware that Skullomania's the most popular EX character? If we're really getting an EX character, it'd be him.

Ryce

Realistically, the first EX rep to get into the main series would probably be the lead hero (Hokuto) or villain (Garuda), opening the door for secondary characters in the future.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
As much as I want Final Fight characters, I'd rather not have Abigail. In fact, I might be willing to take anyone else from Final Fight. I hate his design.

Well, he could be the first Canadian character in Street Fighter franchise. I would like to see newcomers to represents brand new countries tho.

Zubz

Banned
Well, he could be the first Canadian character in Street Fighter franchise. I would like to see newcomers to represents brand new countries tho.

Wait, he was Canadian? That just makes me want Abigail less, then. There were already 2 cut Canadian characters who looked cool, plus a Canadian among the slew of other wrestlers from Mika's federation.

13_hockey01.jpg

She was cut because her playstyle felt too "weak," which doesn't make much sense for a hockey-style character. Canadian heritage aside, I want them to revisit this character. And the French Savate user/Koukakuken character.

13_yeti01.jpg

I can understand the complaint he was too Darkstalkers-y (They could always just add Sasquatch, after all), but he supposedly had a gimmick where he sacrificed HP for his attacks. That would've been neat.

maple_storm.jpg

I know we already have a lot of grapplers, but wouldn't Abigail just end up being one, too? I mean, she's not as cool as the hockey player, but she by far looks better than Abigail.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wait, he was Canadian? That just makes me want Abigail less, then. There were already 2 cut Canadian characters who looked cool, plus a Canadian among the slew of other wrestlers from Mika's federation.

13_hockey01.jpg

She was cut because her playstyle felt too "weak," which doesn't make much sense for a hockey-style character. Canadian heritage aside, I want them to revisit this character. And the French Savate user/Koukakuken character.

Since Capcom always like to use stereotypes for characters so I'm more surprised that they didn't come up with a stereotypical Canadian character that may be a lumberjack or mountie.

They could have Canadian Mountie to traveling around the world with his trusty horse (or moose if they want to do bad stereotypical Canadian)

OR

Nature lover Lumberjack who like to carry a jug of maple syrup with him

Ryce

What's interesting is that only two of the cut characters on CFN got past the initial sketch phase:
Asuka
AeNPxTb.jpg

A character that uses a traditional fighting style, Aikido.
She uses her opponents power against them. We had too many Japanese characters in the game though, so she got the cut.
But I'd like to revisit this idea in the future!

Elizabeth
rpTQLgf.jpg

A French Savate fighter that wears armor to protect against attacks.
We were thinking she'd be an old arts dealer with money to spend.
But you know what? In the Street Fighter world there are way too many rich people!
But I really like the idea and concept.
Asuka's momentum-redirecting style was given to Kolin (System is practically the Russian version of aikido), so maybe the next character uses savate. He definitely has the gloves for it.
On second thought, the silhouette kinda looks like he could be wearing a coat with pants tucked into his boots like a mountie. A French Canadian savate-using mountie could be interesting.

lupinko

What's interesting is that only two of the cut characters on CFN got past the initial sketch phase:

Asuka's momentum-redirecting style was given to Kolin (System is practically the Russian version of aikido), so maybe the next character uses savate. He definitely has the gloves for it.

On second thought, the silhouette kinda looks like he could be wearing a coat with pants tucked into his boots like a mountie. A French Canadian savate-using mountie could be interesting.

Hmm, Aikido fighter named Asuka, like Asuka from Tekken? Lmao

To expand on my previous predictions, I think silhouette #5 is a brand new female character who uses pencak silat.

• The headdress shape fits
  • Pencak silat makes use of many different weapons, and the silhouette appears to have a couple of weapons fixed to her back
  • The Raid movies have made pencak silat more well-known in recent years, and Capcom has said that they sometimes look to what’s currently popular when designing Street Fighter characters

That's looks plausible.
I hope that you are right, as this could be a pretty interesting addition.

A newcomer on some Raid shit would be amazing.

Knowing capcom they'd be a weird zoner or something unrepresentative of the actual martial art

Raitaro

To expand on my previous predictions, I think silhouette #5 is a brand new female character who uses pencak silat.

• Pencak silat makes use of many different weapons
  • The Raid movies have made pencak silat more well-known in recent years, and Capcom has said that they sometimes look to what’s currently popular when designing Street Fighter characters

Now you're speaking my language Ryce! I actually mentioned The Raid and Pencak Silat multiple times as sources of inspiration for a new character I'd like to see. My initial wish went with a male inspired by the "bum" character in the movie(s) but a female user in a traditional outfit would be cool as well.

You're doing some interesting analyses I must say, for Abigail as well.

(That said, I still don't really know why Capcom is so adamant on keeping the identity of brand new characters a secret behind silhouettes well into season 2 if their goal is to sell season passes. It's fun to build hype and stimulate speculation, sure, but this doesn't really work when we're mostly working with unknown variables in this case and when we end up with a majority of characters that nobody has any previous attachment to.)

Whompa02

Man why can't we just get Kairi? Dude has so much potential to grow into a badass character. Was super fun to play as in ex3 too. Bah!

LuuKyK

• Pencak silat makes use of many different weapons

Looks like a Sai on her right side. Or is that part of the costume?

kirblar

Not very likely. The silhouette doesn't look anything like Iori to me, and with no disrespect to KOF, Capcom would probably want someone more mainstream for Street Fighter's first ever proper guest character.
Can you do a combo pic like the others? The presence of the Apron/Collar kinda leaves me w/ the position of "why the hell would this be part of a character design if it wasn't him?"

Village

My current predictions:
  1. Akuma - the iconic demon
  2. Kolin - existing woman from SF lore playable for the first time (SF's first ice character)
  3. original man from new country with new fighting style
  4. Abigail - existing man from SF lore playable for the first time (tallest character in SF history)
  5. original woman from new country with new fighting style
  6. Garuda - the obscure demon, playable for the first time in the main series
That would give us two first timers (male/female) and two originals (male/female) sandwiched between the demonic Akuma and Garuda.

I think the last one is violent ken

Village

Don't encourage them tho

Also they have one, its maki. And eagle, also birdie is using a weapon. And poison. And vega... capcom has been using weapons for years in sf actually.

Numb

SFV is already Blond Fighter 5 to the extreme. Sorry Maki and Eagle
And I already use Vega and Birdie's new design is repulsive

SFV is already Blond Fighter 5 to the extreme. Sorry Maki and Eagle
And I already use Vega and Birdie's new design is repulsive

Thinking about the Blonde Fighter 5 complaint, aren't there equal amount of brunettes in the game? I did a quick count and there seems to be 7 each before dlc, with Dhalsim and Bison both having white hair. The 1st season dlc characters are 2 blonde, 2 brunette, and 1 white hair. Akuma just released and he is a weird redhead. You really can't get anymore hair colors without going full anime like Dizzy's blue hair.

Mista Koo

I still have hope for Akira. And hope for NOT AZAM.

Yep. Coat guy could be C. Jack.

Thinking about the Blonde Fighter 5 complaint, aren't there equal amount of brunettes in the game? I did a quick count and there seems to be 7 each before dlc, with Dhalsim and Bison both having white hair. The 1st season dlc characters are 2 blonde, 2 brunette, and 1 white hair. Akuma just released and he is a weird redhead. You really can't get anymore hair colors without going full anime like Dizzy's blue hair.
But that's 7 blondes in a cast of 16 (~44%), now 10 out of 24 (~42%), compared to 6 blondes in a cast of 44 in USFIV (~14%), or 8 out of 44 if you count the two orange haired characters (~18%). IV had more brunettes and black-haired characters, but those are also much, much more common hairs colour compared to blonde, so it is not so obvious.

And speaking of orange haired characters, USFIV had a couple of additional hair colours:

Bring them back, Capcom!

Top Bottom