• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 of Street Fighter V Season 2 characters are going to be newcomers

vg260

They say Helen might be the next character... *sigh*. Capcom being capcom, lazy, just like in USF4, they imported characters from sfxt and adjusted them for the game. Of course, the Helen model is already there, they're going to use that.

This is such a nonsensical complaint. Capcom themselves created the 3D model for the first time ever for this game and she doesn't exist in any playable form. This isn't the Morrigan sprite re-used for the 20th game in a row.

Also, the Ultra complaint about the SFxT characters is nonsense as well. Ultra was already packed with characters, it was near the end of its life, people wanted them in the game, they were fun, and the upgrade to Ultra was a measly $15.

If you're going to bash Capcom, do it for the stuff they deserve it for.

cordy

Banned
While I think Akuma's story mode was good from a character development standpoint, I think they didn't explain it well. Akuma is basically granting Gen what he wants - death. Gen wasn't on the way out like he was in Alpha 2. He probably only had a few months to live at best, and Akuma granted him his final wish. Again, Akuma isn't a horrible dude. He just loveeessss fighting.

As for why he didn't kill Ryu, it's obvious - Ryu isn't done progressing. Despite finding a new mode, dude ain't ready for Akuma, and the latter is curious as to how Ryu is gonna play out. So they resolve to meet up later once Ryu is done training. It'd be a waste to kill your rival who just learned of a power that could equal your own, you know?

I personally don't think he was wanting to grant Gen his wish, I think Capcom made Akuma kill him because Gen's gonna eventually pass and they needed to find a reason for it. While I do want to believe he's giving Gen what he wants, Capcom didn't give any explanation for that, not even text afterwards and it looks like Akuma went back on his previous word and killed him. They should have explained it because it's definitely not explained well at all. He's definitely someone who loves fighting, not horrible at all. It's just a misunderstanding in that scene, I just think they fucked up so if you think that then that's your opinion and it's all open for interpretation.

To the Ryu stuff yeah Akuma just left because Ryu wasn't ready yet. That I agree with.

Ryu was already out. Akuma didn't kill him so the talk was useless if Ryu was stalling. Akuma was walking away. The difference between that speech and the one with Gen's is that Akuma is just being insulting and telling him to shut it so they can get to the good stuff. That fight was clearly for Gen, so Akuma is like "dude, let's finish this so I can go home and catch Desperate Housewives and you can die or something".

The biggest issue about his character is how he started. Akuma was at first possessed, then they retconned that, THEN they had to make him an asshole who kills masters and shit, but wait, he only wants a good fight? And what's this shit about him saving a kid? He spared Adon, too? They basically have to make up for previous endeavors of making him out to be evil when he really isn't.

Yep, he did those things which not many people know about. That's the thing with Akuma. Some know he's good, some think he's evil but people don't know about the things he's done as a whole. Guys like Ken, Guile, we know what side they're on. People are always questioning what side Akuma's on down to the point where they probably threw these things into his Story Mode so they can make some people say "hey, he killed Necalli and didn't kill Ryu and he's smiling so he's good after all", who knows.

I say they need to find a way to get an Akuma Cinematic Story Mode or at least an animated movie for him, just something that explains who he is to most that don't know. He's really not evil, just loves fighting. It needs to be established.

I think that's just a stylistic choice in general
. You wouldn't be able to see them with his hairdo right now, so I guess that's why he wears them as they are. Once he shaves, he'll go back to donning them around his neck. I wouldn't see why they can't be adjustable, but I can see why people would take issue with the beads being on his chest.

Exactly my point.

Depending on how SFV deals with the canon, he'll probably just keep the power of the beast mode but refine his look. His talk with Ryu hints that he's still a human that just loves to fight under all that mess, so hopefully they'll tie that in.

I think if we saw how he transitions from here to 3, it'd help explain some of those features, but it'll either be in artbooks or in interviews. I don't dislike the mane, but it can be offputting, so I can see why people wouldn't like it in general. But at the same time, it makes sense to me with how they are treating his character. Hopefully they finish it.

I'm honestly think they'll say something like "we saw people played the Nostalgia version more so we've given him a new look that's in-between that version and 3 so that'll be him" from now on. Given the reception and how many people are playing the classic more, I only see Akuma looking this way for 1 game. They'll probably make the standard version the Premium costume in a future game.

Gameplay-wise he's perfect, same with strength-wise.

Maybe there's some hidden symbolism. Or maybe it's literally a rule of cool moment. It'd be nice if they went over it.

Yeah for Cinematic Story Mode 2 they need to address his look and that "bead sash" thing he has but I figure they won't. Either way, guess we gotta wait for those artbooks.

petran79

Banned
They should consider to make all the DLC characters available in training mode or make at least some of the earlier DLC ones free.

Or else this will cause a huge discrepancy between players who own the DLCs and players who dont. If they add 5 more DLC characters, 1/3rd of the cast will be unavailable.

At least in training mode you'll be able to work against character set ups in recording mode.

MrCarter

Nothing will tbh. SFV ain't gonna be selling much more copies at all regardless of what Capcom does. They've heavily fucked up and they can't get it back.

MvCI time is where it's at now.

?

Of course they do. Is this a serious question? A lot of people aren't attached to mechanics and competition, they just want to play favorites rooted from a former time. The same goes for other games such as people only getting sports games if it has a specific team, player, wrestler and/or specific mini-game attached. It's not defined by fighters. Say you're a kid and your dad comes home every few weeks due to his job and what you two do together was play Sagat in Arcade Mode. Each time you play Sagat in Arcade Mode, you remember that time period. So now, that kid wants to have those same memories given there's no Sagat or Arcade Mode. It goes across the board.

SFV shipped 1.4 million copies and are in it for the long game (pardon the pun), support won't stop until 2021 at the very least. More brand new characters are coming and if you want older ones they will be coming in the future. You need to get over that fact. As for you silly arcade analogy...there is no Sagat in SFV...there is V.S...kid might not have a dad...more hyperbole.

cordy

Banned
Then I guess I'm just not seeing it in the people I know. I know a ton of people who've played the original SF in arcades, or have memories of playing older SF games on their consoles.

NONE of them have bought SF5 and it's not because of the lack of characters from previous games. Same thing happened with KoF XIV, even though they have fond memories of playing the older KoFs and a few of them occasionally still play it on fightcade I belive but none of them actually bothered to buy the new one despite it having practically all the characters that they liked.

EDIT: Most of them didn't buy SF5 cause of the lack of any real single player stuff since they don't play much online.
Yeah, they exist. You just haven't come across them. An example is the Tekken 7 Kuma/Panda reveal thread. You'll see people saying they might not get it due to their favorites being in the game. It's not uncommon.

Cepheus

I don't think one of the newcomers will be Helen, since she was
in Street Fighter 3
, therefore she's not a newcomer.

I think things would be better if they didn't name things season 2, 3,4,etc and just gave each season a special name following the old naming conventions as if it were a new version of SFV.

yurinka

It doesn't match up to me, honestly. The hilt of Satsuki's katana is pretty elaborate.

And I really do think the silhouette is wearing a short-sleeved shirt, whereas Satsuki's top is completely sleeveless.

fAud4ju.png
I think the part in the top side of the arm you are showing is this black thing:
dJ6ouxCW4.png

The part in the lower side of the arm can be her yellow scarf, which also matches with her back part of her neck in the newer silhouette I post in this post, like her shoulder pad and also the lower part of the silhouette..

dJydNYvlE.png

UdAMQ96.jpg

4wwd4td0wx4y.jpg

Ryce

The placement and shape of the arm band isn't nearly the same. The silhouette only has one protrusion on the arm (not two), and it's way too baggy to be a band.

Also, the top of the silhouette's head has two spikes and looks nothing like Satsuki's hat (see top left character behind the SFV logo):

pgceZgG.jpg

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
"Alongside the returning characters in Season 1, we also had some new faces join them which allowed us to explore new personalities, mechanics, playstyles and regional martial arts," he continued.

Street Fighter 3 had a roster predominantly inhabited by all new characters, and at the time, it wasn’t too well received by fans. Dahlgren's response indicated that the focus right now is to create a roster that includes a wide variety in play styles.

"The goal is to provide players with an option that fits every type of play style. Season 2 will continue down that path and we’re excited to get these new and unique characters into the hands of our players to put them to the test. Who knows, you could find your new main!" he said.

Let me remind everyone with this gem from the interview. It sound like we wouldn't see any dolls in Season 2 because they played so similar to Cammy which wouldn't bring anything new or unique to the table.

Let me remind everyone with this gem from the interview. It sound like we wouldn't see any dolls in Season 2 because they played so similar to Cammy which wouldn't bring anything new or unique to the table.

Eh, I don't think it is necessary to assume that. Just because they gave them a basic Cammy styled moveset for the story mode doesn't mean they won't come out as unique characters completely revamped

DR2K

Banned
Eh, I don't think it is necessary to assume that. Just because they gave them a basic Cammy styled moveset for the story mode doesn't mean they won't come out as unique characters completely revamped

Decapre and Cammy played nothing alike for example, thy just shared animations.

I see lots of "no *insert character here* no buy" a lot but lets be honest, they weren't going to buy it either way

I'm not buying the season pass for a mystery box. I'll buy individual characters with fight money. If they're good.

Skab

Decapre and Cammy played nothing alike for example, thy just shared animations.

I'm not buying the season pass for a mystery box. I'll buy individual characters with fight money. If they're good.

Well, assuming they do the same thing they did for the first season pass, once they will announce all five at once.

qcf x2

This is such a nonsensical complaint. Capcom themselves created the 3D model for the first time ever for this game and she doesn't exist in any playable form. This isn't the Morrigan sprite re-used for the 20th game in a row.

Also, the Ultra complaint about the SFxT characters is nonsense as well. Ultra was already packed with characters, it was near the end of its life, people wanted them in the game, they were fun, and the upgrade to Ultra was a measly $15.

If you're going to bash Capcom, do it for the stuff they deserve it for.

Agreed.

If you really want to play as all of the old characters, go play the old games. Online still works. But do understand that at some point those old characters were new and plenty of fan favorites made their debuts in place of old characters.

New entries should not be pushing the nostalgia angle every time. Maybe once every 5 entries or something, otherwise it gets stale quickly.

Well, assuming they do the same thing they did for the first season pass, once they will announce all five at once.

To be honest, they probably only did that because they were leaked anyway. If they were going to do that for this, they might as well have announced them all when they announced them instead of doing the silhouettes

5 completely new characters is idiotic IMO. This game needs new players, and new players are not going to buy this game unless they know the characters. Bring on Sagat, Blanka, Yun, Yang, Sakura, etc...

Bringing in 5 newbies is not going to sell copies of SFV....ugh

So you're saying Sagat, Blanka, Yun, Yang, Sakura, should not have ever been in (game they debuted in) in the first place. Nobody could have bought those games for those characters, after all.

And funny how SFV's Season 1 constant flow of classic characters led to hardly any new sales..

cordy

Banned
And funny how SFV's Season 1 constant flow of classic characters led to hardly any new sales..

Capcom's fucked regardless what they do with this game unless they go the PSN+ for a month "Rocket League" route. Doesn't matter if they put in classic characters, doesn't matter if they put in new characters because at the end of the day they fucked up. People ain't looking out for this anymore.

If Street Fighter is having issues reaching casual players then digging into deep in the Street Fighter roster isn't going to fix that issue.

Deep? I'm not saying I would want all of them but Sagat, Blanka, E Honda, T Hawk, Dee Jay etc are all iconic recognizable characters not deep characters. It's not like all the old characters that aren't in this game are obscure characters that casual fans wouldn't recognize. I agree maybe putting Q in this game won't do much for the casual audience, but they are still missing some of the most iconic SF characters.

cordy

Banned
Deep? I'm not saying I would want all of them but Sagat, Blanka, E Honda, T Hawk, Dee Jay etc are all iconic recognizable characters not deep characters. It's not like all the old characters that aren't in this game are obscure characters that casual fans wouldn't recognize. I agree maybe putting Q in this game won't do much for the casual audience, but they are still missing some of the most iconic SF characters.
Preach that good word.

yurinka

The placement and shape of the arm band isn't nearly the same. The silhouette only has one protrusion on the arm (not two), and it's way too baggy to be a band.

Also, the top of the silhouette's head has two spikes and looks nothing like Satsuki's hat (see top left character behind the SFV logo):

pgceZgG.jpg
As they did the previous season, the band may have been tweaked to give some hints and hide some stuff, the silhouettes aren't pixel perfect matches. Characters may even be using alternate costumes to the ones we already saw. And also different from the character portraits, remember that Akuma is very different.

P.S.: I did some extra work by merging all the versions of the silhouette using some better quality images posted in this thread, seems that her black "belt" and lower part of her "jacket" may fit too:

dLBKWJI0T.png

I think that the 2 "horns" may be her hat + one of her two katanas. Or maybe her yellow bandana + hat.

Blackage

Most of the Dolls were pretty generic/boring with the exception of Decapre who had a fairly extensive moveset which helped make her more unique. I'm honestly surprised they didn't fix her up further and add her to the game. I can only imagine they took her reception in SFIV the wrong way(most complaints that she was only a Cammy pallette swap from the casual crowd).

NEO0MJ

Most of the Dolls were pretty generic/boring with the exception of Decapre who had a fairly extensive moveset which helped make her more unique. I'm honestly surprised they didn't fix her up further and add her to the game. I can only imagine they took her reception in SFIV the wrong way(most complaints that she was only a Cammy pallette swap from the casual crowd).

They probably didn't want to waste too much time on them considering most of them were only meant to be fought in story. IF they were going to put in too much work on them they'd be taking precious time and money from playable characters.

They probably didn't want to waste too much time on them considering most of them were only meant to be fought in story. IF they were going to put in too much work on them they'd be taking precious time and money from playable characters.

Even their looks are boring and generic. They're all pretty much Cammy with different ethnic stereotypes or gimmicks to their look.

I want something vastly different from new characters in looks and play style. So far they're doing a good job at that.

MrCarter

Capcom's fucked regardless what they do with this game unless they go the PSN+ for a month "Rocket League" route. Doesn't matter if they put in classic characters, doesn't matter if they put in new characters because at the end of the day they fucked up. People ain't looking out for this anymore.

lol at the constant "fucked up". Considering we have a SFV thread every other week and you are one of the people who constantly whine and moan about it then that clearly shows the interest is still there. Unless you are just faking this concern of course, which I'm sure you would never do, right?

Ryce

Besides the silhouette not looking like Satsuki to me, I just can't see any of the Dolls being playable. As a design rule, every SFV character is completely unique (Ryu/Ken/Akuma and Nash/Guile don't share animations). If Satsuki were to be playable then she'd be given 100% unique animations... in which case, why not include literally any character over her? She's not popular or iconic like Ken, Akuma, and Guile. Plus, Japan is overrepresented as it is. I just don't see it happening. I'm positive that the second female silhouette is an original character from a new country with a new fighting style.

MrCarter

SFV is being support for at least another 4/5 years and I'm pretty sure Sagat will be in sooner or later. Also, people want Dee Jay and Blanka? I highly doubt it. In SFIV they were beyond trash and I'd rather they keep away from SFV.

Pompadour

I'd argue that all of those, aside Sagat, are unpopular with the core fanbase but since we're talking about casuals I think only Sagat and Blanka are popular with a good chunk of the casual fanbase. Sagat is loved by both casual and core fans where Blanka isn't much liked by core fans but he's extremely iconic and recognizable.

E. Honda isn't popular with either to the point where I rarely see "where's Honda?" although I often see people asking for Blanka. T. Hawk and Dee Jay are awful characters that are unpopular with core fans and they were among the last added in 2 so they aren't as recognizable as the original 12.

I can see them adding Blanka but V may stop with characters from 2 after he and Sagat join. Who knows, though.

Pachinko

Despite my bleak outlook on who will be in season 2 , I really do hope we get some actual newbies. I've badly wanted a puket silat character since seeing both raid movies.

Also, for the record - after what happened to my 2 most wanted SF4 characters in season 1 , I'd rather capcom just make brand new characters. I wanted Ibuki back but she's no longer Ibuki , shares almost nothing with her SF3 or SF4 rendition. May as well have been a different ninja character. Same thing goes with Juri , Rashid is actually much closer to how Juri played in SF4 and well... that's who I've been playing instead. I don't mind how Juri plays in 5 at least (unlike ibuki) but she's basically a brand new character so they may as well have just made a new character instead there too.

I mean, the way things have been going , if Sagat ever returns , I'd half expect him to lose something major like not being able to throw tiger fireballs. That's how badly they've changed Ibuki so I mean why not ?

Just as I said in my earlier post - I WANT my guesses to be incorrect - Helen, Azam, Byron, Satsuki and Voilent Ken wouldn't be the end of the world but I'd rather see someone brand new in place of those last 3. I'm curious how Helen and Azam would play so I don't mind them showing up so much.

Ryce

My predictions:

1. Helen/Kolin (released in February alongside the Alex and Ibuki nostalgia costumes to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Street Fighter III)
  2. New male hero
  3. New giant grappler/tank
  4. New female hero
  5. New bad guy

I believe 2-5 will all hail from unrepresented countries and use unrepresented fighting styles.

Neoxon

My predictions:

1. Helen/Kolin (released in February alongside the Alex and Ibuki nostalgia costumes to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Street Fighter III)
  2. New male hero
  3. New giant grappler/tank
  4. New female hero
  5. New bad guy

I believe 2-5 will all hail from unrepresented countries and use unrepresented fighting styles.
Hopefully Eritrea &/or Ethiopia are among them, & I don't mean that one Doll. It's about time that fighting games (& games overall) have more Habisha representation. Hell, throw in some Tigrinya phrases & I could voice the character myself (I actually have done Theatre for 13+ years).

lol at the constant "fucked up". Considering we have a SFV thread every other week and you are one of the people who constantly whine and moan about it then that clearly shows the interest is still there. Unless you are just faking this concern of course, which I'm sure you would never do, right?
Just because people like the Street Fighter franchise/brand doesn't mean they like/have an interest in SFV. People love the Final Fantasy series but god damn do most of them hate FF 13. At this point I don't think it's unreasonable to say SFV has damaged the SF brand the way 13 damaged the FF brand.

Rainy

Banned
I just want Sakura in, but I'm sure she'll be in sooner or later so a season full of newbies is cool with me.

NEO0MJ

The game is doing well with its current fanbase, but lets not pretend it's doing much to attract anyone else. Though I won't pretend that adding old characters will fix things.

Anyways this conversation was done a million times before so no need to bring it up again.

Skab

So I've been sitting here staring at the top right silhouette trying to figure out why it bothers me so much. Something about it just looks really off.

And then it hit me. His arm on the right is way smaller looking than the one on the left.

Because it isn't an arm. It's a leg.

His knee/leg is up in either a stance or mid kick, with the unseen arm behind it/him.

Think something sort of along the lines of this.

Shadoken

Do people really buy fighting games just because it has the one character that they liked in a previous iteration?

Yes.

Without Ryu and Ken this game would sell MUCH lesser. A lot of people just enjoy playing one or two characters , the character IS basically the game and the mechanics are the tools. Although it should be vice versa , its just dependent on what people look for.
Games like Smash and MvC are proof of this. Fans of the character will buy the games as well as fans of the game itself.

A person who has just casual interest in Tekken might pick it up because his favorite character Akumer is in the game.

Ryce

So I've been sitting here staring at the top right silhouette trying to figure out why it bothers me so much. Something about it just looks really off.

And then it hit me. His arm on the right is way smaller looking than the one on the left.

Because it isn't an arm. It's a leg.
It's definitely an arm. You can see his torso extend well below it. It wouldn't make any anatomical sense for that to be a leg.

NeonZ

Honest question... Is this seriously a thing? Maybe I just didn't pay attention to the story but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.
Rugal has always been power-hungry and has a fame of being able to learn other people's techniques. He has techniques from both bosses of Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury like Geese's Repuuken. It seemed logical to me that he simply learned of the Satsui no Hado from his battle with Akuma and being as power-hungry as he is, he embraced it fully (alongside some of Akuma's techniques). That's in line with Rugal's character imo

Akuma just absorbs the Orochi power from Rugal somehow, but the ending shows that Rugal somehow ended up possessed by Akuma. He becomes even more Akuma-like after the battle and a voice starts saying that evolution should be honored, but he wasn't powerful enough to control "my" power. Then Rugal explodes and from the explosion someone who looks like Akuma wearing Rugal's torn clothing reappears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRglh-PwM

Top Bottom