• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 of Street Fighter V Season 2 characters are going to be newcomers

Tizoc

Garuda is a demon who taps into negative energy like the Satsui no hado. He tracks down and beats Akuma because the more Akuma taps into SnH, the stronger Garuda gets. Akuma did not return in either Ex2 or Ex3, so the running joke is that Garuda beat him so hard that Akuma's either dead or too embarrassed to show his face.
So akuma possessed kairi?

Renekton

Garuda is a demon who taps into negative energy like the Satsui no hado. He tracks down and beats Akuma because the more Akuma taps into SnH, the stronger Garuda gets. Akuma did not return in either Ex2 or Ex3, so the running joke is that Garuda beat him so hard that Akuma's either dead or too embarrassed to show his face.
Necalli can do that, and Gouki just beat him easy.

leroidys

For the last silhouette, the jodhpur pants and flared boots make me think of southeast asia more than anything. I also don't feel like Garuda would fit the "never been in SF" criteria.

Pompadour

For the last silhouette, the jodhpur pants and flared boots make me think of southeast asia more than anything. I also don't feel like Garuda would fit the "never been in SF" criteria.

The only quote about this I've seen is "brand new to the Street Fighter universe" which could mean so many different things. In a recent video Maximilian seemed to definitively state that it only applied to playable characters but I don't know where he got that information.

leroidys

The only quote about this I've seen is "brand new to the Street Fighter universe" which could mean so many different things. In a recent video Maximilian seemed to definitively state that it only applied to playable characters but I don't know where he got that information.

It seems like a pretty safe guess that the first one is Helen/Kolin, who has been in V previously as well as 3, so maybe that's where he got it from. Garuda's playable in 3 games (all EX games).

kirblar

If they've never been in a mainline tittle (Alpha series ->SFV) then they're eligible, until clarified otherwise.

Pompadour

If they've never been in a mainline tittle (Alpha series ->SFV) then they're eligible, until clarified otherwise.

Did someone say this or are you just assuming?

From Capcom's limited comments on the matter I'd say anything or nothing is possible until clarified otherwise. I have a feeling we won't know much until the next character is revealed or someone asks Ono who can't help but tease things.

cordy

Banned
Street Fighter 5's initial roster featured eight classic characters from Street Fighter 2, four fighters from the Alpha series and then four brand new characters fresh to the franchise.

Capcom proceeded to release six characters from Street Fighters passed over the course of 2016, and as we neared the end of the game's first season, fans began speculating what fighters they would see in 2017.

With the exception of Akuma, the theme for Season 2's DLC fighters is "brand new" as the five upcoming characters will have never appeared, or at least been playable, in a Street Fighter game before.

While there's certainly potential in this move, many fans were very much hoping for traditional favorites like Sagat, Sakura and Oro to make return appearances. We asked Capcom's Matt Dahlgren about the decision to make this batch of DLC with primarily fresh fighters, here's what he had to say.

"Just like our fans, one of our favorite parts of the Street Fighter universe is its diversity and wide array of unique personalities," explained Dahlgren. "The launch roster and rest of the Season 1 cast of Street Fighter V allowed us to bring back characters we hadn’t seen in quite some time and re-imagine how they look and play to take advantage of the game’s new mechanics."

"Alongside the returning characters in Season 1, we also had some new faces join them which allowed us to explore new personalities, mechanics, playstyles and regional martial arts," he continued.

Street Fighter 3 had a roster predominantly inhabited by all new characters, and at the time, it wasn’t too well received by fans. Dahlgren's response indicated that the focus right now is to create a roster that includes a wide variety in play styles.

"The goal is to provide players with an option that fits every type of play style. Season 2 will continue down that path and we’re excited to get these new and unique characters into the hands of our players to put them to the test. Who knows, you could find your new main!" he said.

For those still holding out for more familiar faces, Dahlgren left us with a bit of hope.

"Also, we are still thinking of Street Fighter 5 for the long term. Right now, the Season 2 cast is set to further differentiate SF5 from previous iterations in the franchise. But as an ever evolving platform, there will still be time in the future to bring back fan favorite characters. As a community, we feel we are still growing strong, and plan for SF5 to have a very long lifespan," he finished.

The community seems to have a semi-open mind when it comes to these new fighters being the bulk of Season 2's DLC, but we'll see in time what these newcomers have to offer.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...-why-majority-season-2s-dlc-roster-brand-new/

For all the talk about "unique personalities" they should have at least included some of the favorites for S2 that the fans loved. Then again who knows what would happen if they threw Sakura and Sagat into S2. They'd probably fucked up their designs.

Shit, they even fucked up Akuma's design of all characters. Never thought I'd see the day where a badass like that would turn into a laughing stock of the internet. His look goes against his character.

tribal24

Banned
I think we might be getting some characters that are not apart of the season pass this year imo. Like we might see a fan favorite show up but just as a single thing after the season.

selo

They say Helen might be the next character... *sigh*. Capcom being capcom, lazy, just like in USF4, they imported characters from sfxt and adjusted them for the game. Of course, the Helen model is already there, they're going to use that.

Buying the season 2 pass right now is pretty crazy, not knowing which characters are coming, and its super expensive, might just as well be Super SFV instead. Don't know if my faith in Capcom can go any lower.

They say Helen might be the next character... *sigh*. Capcom being capcom, lazy, just like in USF4, they imported characters from sfxt and adjusted them for the game. Of course, the Helen model is already there, they're going to use that.

so? they had to create that model in the first place and it's not like having a model is the easiest thing of creating a character.

For all the talk about "unique personalities" they should have at least included some of the favorites for S2 that the fans loved. Then again who knows what would happen if they threw Sakura and Sagat into S2. They'd probably fucked up their designs.

Shit, they even fucked up Akuma's design of all characters. Never thought I'd see the day where a badass like that would turn into a laughing stock of the internet. His look goes against his character.

Well, the point of unique personalities wouldn't entail a bunch of characters we've seen before, thus the unique part. Brand new characters means a better chance for originality, rather than variations on styles we've seen before.

Moaradin

Buying the season 2 pass right now is pretty crazy, not knowing which characters are coming, and its super expensive, might just as well be Super SFV instead. Don't know if my faith in Capcom can go any lower.

How is Helen lazy? She has a model in-game but it's not good enough for a playable character. There will still be a lot of work done on the model and her actual moveset would be completely new since she's never been playable before.

cordy

Banned
Well, the point of unique personalities wouldn't entail a bunch of characters we've seen before, thus the unique part. Brand new characters means a better chance for originality, rather than variations on styles we've seen before.

Nah nah I'm not talking about that. I understand what they mean about different playstyles hence why they're bringing in new characters, that's not what I'm getting at.

I'm referring to how since before this game's come out they keep talking about showing off the "personalities" of these characters hence their new looks, emphasis on certain things including playstyle so I brought up Akuma. His playstyle is perfect for who his character is. No issue there. His look though? Nah. If they fucked him up, I doubt they'll do Sakura and Sagat personally any justice. Hell, Capcom keeps making Akuma act differently in these modern titles compared to previous ones anyway.

Akuma should have been designed differently. This new look just looks like one of those "ok let's make him look like some crazy cool badass guy with no connection man" similar to when Sega invented Shadow the Hedgehog. Capcom's always making great in-game gameplay decisions. It's the other designs that are questionable. He's got Akuma's moves but everything else? Nah I don't get it.

Nah nah I'm not talking about that. I understand what they mean about different playstyles hence why they're bringing in new characters, that's not what I'm getting at.

I'm referring to how since before this game's come out they keep talking about showing off the "personalities" of these characters hence their new look, emphasis on certain things including playstyle so I brought up Akuma. His playstyle is perfect for who his character is. His look though? Nah. If they fucked him up, I doubt they'll do Sakura and Sagat personally any justice. Hell, Capcom keeps making Akuma act differently in these modern titles compared to previous ones anyway.

Akuma should have been designed differently. This new look just looks like one of those "ok let's make him look like some crazy cool badass guy with no connection man" similar to when they invented Shadow.

How is he any different? If anything, he's in a transitory period from 4 where he was at his height of edginess and in 3 where he finally mellows out. Akuma has always been a huge dick to people when fighting them and after fighting them. His win quotes in this game are basically the same as the ones in 4, unfortunately.

His design is him going more beastal and throwing away his humanity. I'm mixed on the design itself, but it's not like it doesn't capture his focus on dropping his humanity but still being a dude who thirsts for battle (while not being a dick to people who he doesn't fight - seriously, Akuma doesn't mindlessly kill unless you challenge him or he thinks you are worthy of a fight, he even saved a kid once!).

His weird ass story mode had more character development than any other game in the series tbh, and actually serves as a decent bridge to his 3rd Strike incarnation.

Edit: To be fair, how Akuma is portrayed in the games isn't exactly honest. Most of the time he seems like a dude who will just go around snapping necks, but the plot points outside the games make a point to tell people he only does it when some fools deserve it.

MrCarter

More nonsense I see. More distinct personalities and play styles the better and since the franchise in based around "world warriors" it would be a shame if we didn't have more representation of other locations around the world. Karin, Bison, Ken (despite the face), Dhalsim, Cammy, Balrog, Guile, Nash and Urien all look great in thier new designs and I doubt they would "fuck up" Sakura or Sagat either.

Just because they might change a look to something else you might not like it doesn't mean they "fucked it up" so try to keep an open mind. As for Akuma, I think he actually looks cool and haven't seen people be negative as much as you claim. Main thing is his gameplay is very versatile and fresh for a shoto and if people want his classic costume it's there for them to purchase.

cordy

Banned
How is he any different? If anything, he's in a transitory period from 4 where he was at his height of edginess and in 3 where he finally mellows out. Akuma has always been a huge dick to people when fighting them and after fighting them. His win quotes in this game are basically the same as the ones in 4, unfortunately.

His design is him going more beastal and throwing away his humanity. I'm mixed on the design itself, but it's not like it doesn't capture his focus on dropping his humanity but still being a dude who thirsts for battle (while not being a dick to people who he doesn't fight - seriously, Akuma doesn't mindlessly kill unless you challenge him or he thinks you are worthy of a fight, he even saved a kid once!).

His weird ass story mode had more character development than any other game in the series tbh, and actually serves as a decent bridge to his 3rd Strike incarnation.

Edit: To be fair, how Akuma is portrayed in the games isn't exactly honest. Most of the time he seems like a dude who will just go around snapping necks, but the plot points outside the games make a point to tell people he only does it when some fools deserve it.

What do you mean by transitory period? Do you mean appearance-wise or character-wise? It's not his attitude, that's fine. He's always been a dick to people. Some of the things he's done is questionable though which you've said. Like Gen for example. One moment he's sparing him because he realizes he's sick (Alpha 2) and the next here he's killing him fully knowing his condition (SFV). Then you see him with Ryu. It seemed like he was going to finally duke it out with the man who rejected the SnH completely and found his new "mode." So, he fights Ryu and then spares him? Now he hears a lecture and smiles as he jumps away like it was a friendly fight. It's like how he acted in the beginning of his story contradicts how he acts with Ryu. Maybe if Gen doesn't die I'd understand it but man judging Akuma's comments? That boy's dead or damn near dead.

What's funny is Akuma said Gen gave a useless speech to prolong the inevitable and yet that's what Ryu did except Akuma left the field. You brought up him saving the kid which is a good example too. A lot of people think he's some blood-thirsty evil character out to kill anyone in his way but that's not true. He uses a dangerous fighting style but he's basically pushing himself to the limit to master it and he's sacrificing parts of what many consider "humanity" to do so. He doesn't kill everyone he comes across. Elena's proof of it. He travels down that road. Even so, he's done things that show he's not really evil. It's just weird because at times it feels as though Capcom plays around with what they want to do with him.

Appearance-wise, I don't even know what happens between how he is here and how he is with 3. Is he suddenly going to "pull a Ken and get a haircut and shave before 3 hits" or something? Who knows. What's also weird is that his Nostalgia costume's even an entirely different model from his standard costume. Not just a clothing swap like others, he's got a completely different facial model. I don't know why they did it (since it's more work on their part) but it's wonky looking. Before his story came out I assumed he wasn't really "Akuma" and was a different character like a "fake Akuma" but it doesn't appear to be the case. That's a Capcom design choice. I think if they had his hair make sense (they screwed up Ken's hair so) I wouldn't be as off-put to it as a lot of people. Instead people are trashing him over the internet and I've seen more classic Akuma than standard Akuma which a lot consider the choice due to the new design.

Like, let's get into Goutetsu's prayer beads that were originally around Akuma's neck. Why is it a sash around him now and why's it far more lengthened? Before, I could understand why he wore them the traditional way. It was like he wore them to either honor his sensei or it was a trophy. This? Nah, it looks like something they threw in there to say "see we think this looks cool but it doesn't have any real meaning", like today's Capcom really didn't understand why the beads were the way they were prior. That was a unique part of his character. Is he suddenly going to shorten it back in SF3? Man, I don't know. Even if they gave him the original beads back it would make more sense for his character but it looks like Capcom said "fuck it, let's go all out" and here we are.

How I'd design this Akuma in SFV would be pretty easy. Just have him wear the same gi as he wears in his new look. The ropes is great touch, basically do that and keep the Goutetsu prayer beads as he has in his nostalgia costume. That's good. If they wanted him to have longer hair then make his hair a good deal longer compared to his Nostalgia version and have it look good. Just give him Oni's hair except make his hair red without the glow that came with it. If they wanted him to have a knot of hair then it should have, realistically, looked better than that. Just looks weird. I'd say keep the facial hair off since he didn't even have it in 3 even when Ryu himself had some facial hair.

But that's my opinion on the whole thing. Overall the beads turning into like some sort of sash looked like it was there to "be cool" without having any real meaning.

I think we might be getting some characters that are not apart of the season pass this year imo. Like we might see a fan favorite show up but just as a single thing after the season.

LOL well I guess Season 3 will/should start in December 2017 so keep clinging to that hope.

Bring on the new characters.

Also, even if they've never been playable, that doesn't mean they're completely unrelated to existing characters.

There's a good chance that the "brand new characters" will shed some new light on some on the old characters. Or maybe even play similarly.

If there's one good thing SFxT and SF5 taught us, it's that SF team is VERY good at creating fun new playstyles (and revamping old ones). Tekken cast in SFxT was amazing. And, the new/redesigned characters in SF5 all have really intricate, unique approaches.

Cryxok

Still tho, akuma does have a " i still win when I loose" record

Remember that time, he just possed god rugal, and rugal became akuma?

Honest question... Is this seriously a thing? Maybe I just didn't pay attention to the story but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.
Rugal has always been power-hungry and has a fame of being able to learn other people's techniques. He has techniques from both bosses of Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury like Geese's Repuuken. It seemed logical to me that he simply learned of the Satsui no Hado from his battle with Akuma and being as power-hungry as he is, he embraced it fully (alongside some of Akuma's techniques). That's in line with Rugal's character imo

nded

It's not as if Helen has animations and a moveset they can port from another game. Having a 3D model is like 5% of the work required to turn Helen into a playable character, so I wouldn't accuse Capcom of being lazy if they did it.

Dubz

5 completely new characters is idiotic IMO. This game needs new players, and new players are not going to buy this game unless they know the characters. Bring on Sagat, Blanka, Yun, Yang, Sakura, etc...

Bringing in 5 newbies is not going to sell copies of SFV....ugh

cordy

Banned
5 completely new characters is idiotic IMO. This game needs new players, and new players are not going to buy this game unless they know the characters. Bring on Sagat, Blanka, Yun, Yang, Sakura, etc...

Bringing in 5 newbies is not going to sell copies of SFV....ugh

Nothing will tbh. SFV ain't gonna be selling much more copies at all regardless of what Capcom does. They've heavily fucked up and they can't get it back.

MvCI time is where it's at now.
Do people really buy fighting games just because it has the one character that they liked in a previous iteration?

?

Of course they do. Is this a serious question? A lot of people aren't attached to mechanics and competition, they just want to play favorites rooted from a former time. The same goes for other games such as people only getting sports games if it has a specific team, player, wrestler and/or specific mini-game attached. It's not defined by fighters. Say you're a kid and your dad comes home every few weeks due to his job and what you two do together was play Sagat in Arcade Mode. Each time you play Sagat in Arcade Mode, you remember that time period. So now, that kid wants to have those same memories given there's no Sagat or Arcade Mode. It goes across the board.

What do you mean by transitory period? Do you mean appearance-wise or character-wise?

While I think Akuma's story mode was good from a character development standpoint, I think they didn't explain it well. Akuma is basically granting Gen what he wants - death. Gen wasn't on the way out like he was in Alpha 2. He probably only had a few months to live at best, and Akuma granted him his final wish. Again, Akuma isn't a horrible dude. He just loveeessss fighting.

As for why he didn't kill Ryu, it's obvious - Ryu isn't done progressing. Despite finding a new mode, dude ain't ready for Akuma, and the latter is curious as to how Ryu is gonna play out. So they resolve to meet up later once Ryu is done training. It'd be a waste to kill your rival who just learned of a power that could equal your own, you know?
What's funny is Akuma said Gen gave a useless speech to prolong the inevitable and yet that's what Ryu did except Akuma left the field.

Ryu was already out. Akuma didn't kill him so the talk was useless if Ryu was stalling. Akuma was walking away. The difference between that speech and the one with Gen's is that Akuma is just being insulting and telling him to shut it so they can get to the good stuff. That fight was clearly for Gen, so Akuma is like "dude, let's finish this so I can go home and catch Desperate Housewives and you can die or something".

The biggest issue about his character is how he started. Akuma was at first possessed, then they retconned that, THEN they had to make him an asshole who kills masters and shit, but wait, he only wants a good fight? And what's this shit about him saving a kid? He spared Adon, too? They basically have to make up for previous endeavors of making him out to be evil when he really isn't.

Appearance-wise, I don't even know what happens between how he is here and how he is with 3. Is he suddenly going to "pull a Ken and get a haircut and shave before 3 hits" or something? .

Depending on how SFV deals with the canon, he'll probably just keep the power of the beast mode but refine his look. His talk with Ryu hints that he's still a human that just loves to fight under all that mess, so hopefully they'll tie that in.

Like, let's get into Goutetsu's prayer beads that were originally around Akuma's neck.

I think that's just a stylistic choice in general. You wouldn't be able to see them with his hairdo right now, so I guess that's why he wears them as they are. Once he shaves, he'll go back to donning them around his neck. I wouldn't see why they can't be adjustable, but I can see why people would take issue with the beads being on his chest.

How I'd design this Akuma in SFV would be pretty easy. Just have him wear the same gi as he wears in his new look.

I think if we saw how he transitions from here to 3, it'd help explain some of those features, but it'll either be in artbooks or in interviews. I don't dislike the mane, but it can be offputting, so I can see why people wouldn't like it in general. But at the same time, it makes sense to me with how they are treating his character. Hopefully they finish it.

But that's my opinion on the whole thing. Overall the beads turning into like some sort of sash looked like it was there to "be cool" without having any real meaning.

Maybe there's some hidden symbolism. Or maybe it's literally a rule of cool moment. It'd be nice if they went over it.

Do people really buy fighting games just because it has the one character that they liked in a previous iteration?

Cameron-Diaz-Uhh-Yeah-69729.gif

?

Of course they do. Is this a serious question? A lot of people aren't attached to mechanics and competition, they just want to play favorites rooted from a former time. The same goes for other games such as people only getting sports games if it has a specific team, player, wrestler and/or specific mini-game attached. It's not defined by fighters. Say you're a kid and your dad comes home every few weeks due to his job and what you two do together was play Sagat in Arcade Mode. Each time you play Sagat in Arcade Mode, you remember that time period. So now, that kid wants to have those same memories given there's no Sagat or Arcade Mode. It goes across the board.

Then I guess I'm just not seeing it in the people I know. I know a ton of people who've played the original SF in arcades, or have memories of playing older SF games on their consoles.

NONE of them have bought SF5 and it's not because of the lack of characters from previous games. Same thing happened with KoF XIV, even though they have fond memories of playing the older KoFs and a few of them occasionally still play it on fightcade I belive but none of them actually bothered to buy the new one despite it having practically all the characters that they liked.

EDIT: Most of them didn't buy SF5 cause of the lack of any real single player stuff since they don't play much online.

Snakeyes

How is it lazy when she was likely planned to be a Season 2 character before the game even came out?

Gren

I still bought their predecessors regardless, but I was much more into games like DOA2 & Tekken Tag because it had Ninja Gaiden Ryu & Kaz/Lee, respectively. I can see how folks that are less receptive to fighters could be even more discerning.

EDIT: How many such people actually exist (as opposed to those like your aquaintances, many of whom I have come across as well), is anyone's guess.

Top Bottom