• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 of Street Fighter V Season 2 characters are going to be newcomers

4wwd4td0wx4y.jpg
HOLD tf up. Is that second one skullomania.

What's the chances of there being a crossover character (not just within Capcom IP) amongst the roster? It's kinda becoming a thing nowadays

I think Street Fighter might be the only fighting game to not have guest characters, even when pretty much every other fighting game nowadays has had guest characters. I kind of want it to stay that way.

Aswitch

I saw a supposed leak and if that was true, one is definitely Q. and i would totally want that. Really wanted dudley too but i think balrog's moveset change is kinda eliminating the need for him. Here's to Season 3 though.

Ryce

I saw a supposed leak and if that was true, one is definitely Q.
That's not a leak, it's someone's interpretation of who the silhouettes might belong to. But they're wrong: Q was playable in SFIII, and all five characters are new to Street Fighter.

I can't really make heads or tails of the big bodied silhouette. That is a person with a very large upper body. It really reminds me of Gigas from Tekken 7.

If we really get a person with a gorilla sized upper body and tiny lower body in Street Fighter 5, then I'd be amused by that.

I could see a thing where perhaps Satsuki gets a redesign in which she isn't a doll, kinda like Cammy.

Would make her a lot more interesting.

Watch this is all a troll move by Capcom and none of these characters even touched anything and there all completely original. No Satsuki, no Helen, no Garuda. Just completely new characters. I wouldn't find anything wrong with that, personally.

Watch this is all a troll move by Capcom and none of these characters even touched anything and there all completely original. No Satsuki, no Helen, no Garuda. Just completely new characters. I wouldn't find anything wrong with that, personally.

This is what I'm hoping happens. There are enough differences with that first silhouette that, if it is Helen, it's a new or updated character model from the one in the story mode. It could potentially be misdirection from Capcom that the silhouette looks like Helen.

Jaeger

Is there a place where I can download the 1.08 patch separately and apply it to my PS4 console? it's slower than molasses downloading the traditional way.

tribal24

Banned
I'm going to guess the last one is Sodom because i don't expect the characters to have the same looks. The silhouette looks like a advancement in his design.

SephLuis

I wonder if Capcom will show them all soon or at least when they will be released. Its tough deciding to buy or not a season pass if we have no idea how or what the characters will be.

ArjanN

Uninteresting
NInja

Pick one.

Just vanilla 'ninja' isn't really super interesting.

Honestly I think the dolls would work better as a group character, or have the others come in as strikers or you can switch between them or something. I'm not sure they have enough going on individually.

That dude in the top-right corner is huge.

Haggar maybe? He looks Zangief level massive. Or just someone totally new.

Pachinko

I want to believe that Capcom are going all in with the brand new character thing and we'll get 5 characters that are maybe on that official art website that haven't been in a SF title before. Really, I would like to see something like that. The third approach to this is the "capcom is just BSing us" approach. This mean some of these characters will in fact not be new to SF... I don't have much faith in this idea though.

Here's the problem though, I don't have faith in capcom to spend that kind of money. Instead we'll get the cheapest route possible and I've got a pretty good idea now what that route will be , hold on to your butts -

Silhouette 1 - As others have stated , this really does look like Helen , she's got a complete 3D model that's pretty detailed and present in story mode too so they'd merely need to slap together a move list of some kind. Of course, my hopeful pipe dream is that it's Maple Storm ... but sadly I don't expect that will be the case. Capcom is lying option - C.Viper - similar outfit and bubushka hat could be pompadour.
Evidence A -
latest

storm.jpg

Silhouette 2 - What looks like a bandana or something out of the back , I think is actually a Ponytail ... who has a similar look that kind of fits the build represented ? Azam. Another character that was fully modeled in story mode in the same boat as Helen. They could go back to their omega mode SF4 and use Hakan or perhaps T.Hawk as a base because I'm assuming Azam is a grappler. I will be very surprised if this one isn't Azam, I have no idea who else it could be to be honest. Shadow even looks like it's arms are crossed the same way.
Evidence B -
sfv-azam.jpg

Silhouette 3 - Well, this is the big lump character , if capcom goes super lazy it'll literally be the generic shadaloo trooper ... but the second picture with all the better shadows makes me think it'll be Byron - who as far as I can tell is Guiles CO. There are a number of characters this could be outside of those 2.
Evidence C -
sfv_byron_2.png

Fat-Shadaloo-Soldier.jpg

Silhouette 4 - This one I feel is definitely a Doll, I mean they modeled all of them for SFV, they'll include some of them in the main cast. Satsuki really does look the most likely, despite Ibuki being in there BUT, they changed Ibuki so much from 3/4 that throwing in a different Ninja girl that plays more like classic Ibuki could be possible ? Not really sure who else this could be short of a different doll but Satsuki is the only one with hair like the shadow has.
Evidence D -
latest

Silhouette 5 - This is where everything falls apart, this shadow just looks unlike anyone that already has a model in game and well, maybe , given that Akuma also had to be built from the ground up again - capcom made a second brand new character ? Could also explain why it's at the end of that stack of newbies too. OR, since SF4 got Evil Ryu, perhaps this 6th character is Voilent Ken. They'd be able to just alter his existing model to fit the bill and utilize Akumas animations mixed with Kens so it would be cheaper than making a brand new character. To me the silhouette looks like a shoto who has his back turned. Voilent Ken has only appeared in SVC chaos as far as I know so he's technically new to SF. To everyone suggesting that one EX character, well, EX characters aren't really new to SF now are they ?
Evidence E -
latest

I mean I really do hope I'm wrong on a couple of these or even all of them but if you think about the logic here - every single choice I have above would still fall into the realm of "new to SF" and would use already created assets to pad out the cast. Cosmetic DLC to change appearances is already sold separately.

I believe Abel and Evil Ryu aren't coming to this game - Abel has a broken arm according to the story and the dark hadou no longer exists within Ryu by the end of the story, which also lends more backing to my voilent Ken thoughts- ken has NOT followed the path of nothingness and the "evil" versions are always kind of a what if thing anyway (evil ryu , I always imagined being what happened when Akuma forced him down the satsui no hadou path , nearly killing him with the hole through his chest on that one sf4 costume).

I've also got a theory that when Capcom said they had their 5 year plan for this game , it's because all the content had been decided for those years. In season 2's case, I think a good chunk was actually finished earlier this year but they are now knocked down to a smaller team with a smaller budget to do the rest of the additions. This is also why everything in SFV is so damn expensive too :(

DR2K

Banned
Are they really spacing these characters throughout 2017?

Season one characters took 7 months to release everyone.

What I'm thinking too... which seems like a real misplay on their part, they should be going big with S2.
Or at least went half and half or something. I think more people are intrigued how Capcom will mix up veterans, not brand new characters that people have no idea how they will play....

tribal24

Banned
I want to say the fifth one looks like Satsuki but again i feel with no artwork matching up on this it can be Sakura with a new outfit and longer hair. I don't think she would be able to carry a season if she was just the season 3 newcomer. So they paired her with Akuma , just wishful thinking.

Garuda? As in "polygon spikes randomly poking out of my body" Garuda? Why would anyone want him back? Aside from his portrait, which was mostly a Bishamon ripoff, he was a lame design. There are tons of EX characters that deserve a spot over him. Even Skullomania, who I generally hate.

Wallach

Garuda? As in "polygon spikes randomly poking out of my body" Garuda? Why would anyone want him back? Aside from his portrait, which was mostly a Bishamon ripoff, he was a lame design. There are tons of EX characters that deserve a spot over him. Even Skullomania, who I generally hate.

i'll remember this

you're the first one i'll dunk on when garuda is announced

Sayad

Silhouette 1 - As others have stated , this really does look like Helen , she's got a complete 3D model that's pretty detailed and present in story mode too so they'd merely need to slap together a move list of some kind. Of course, my hopeful pipe dream is that it's Maple Storm ... but sadly I don't expect that will be the case. Capcom is lying option - C.Viper - similar outfit and bubushka hat could be pompadour.
Evidence A -
latest
Her story mode model is definitely not good enough for that. Even if she's wearing the exact same outfit, she's getting a new model.

Rymuth

How did this happen? Do tell!
Garuda is a demon who taps into negative energy like the Satsui no hado. He tracks down and beats Akuma because the more Akuma taps into SnH, the stronger Garuda gets. Akuma did not return in either Ex2 or Ex3, so the running joke is that Garuda beat him so hard that Akuma's either dead or too embarrassed to show his face.

Top Bottom