• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 books. 50 movies. One year - 2016 edition

Osahi

The death of Alan Rickman made me and my wife realize we had to continue our Harry Potter viewings after we halted them somewhere last year. We were only two movies in, and I still hadn't seen part 3 till 6. (I love the books, but hated the first film so much when It came out, that I only saw Deathly Hallows 1 and 2 later, as my wife forced me into the theater. And I actually liked them)

So The Prisonor of Azkaban added to the list!

sharnaak

Just to muck the waters up a bit: what about a TV series event? Like a BBC series that is only two, three episodes long and would be a full-length movie otherwise?

Not something like Sherlock as that's a movie each episode, after all.

I addes a mini series of 2 episodes that was 4.5 hours long as a single entry, since it was pretty much just a movie split in two halves...

Sadsic

i consume most of my books via audiobooks, can i count longform podcasts as books as well, since they are pretty similar? Like if I listen to a few hardcore history podcasts, can i count that as a book, or is that not kosher

Shiv47

i consume most of my books via audiobooks, can i count longform podcasts as books as well, since they are pretty similar? Like if I listen to a few hardcore history podcasts, can i count that as a book, or is that not kosher

Frankly, it's up to you. It's not like you're going to get booted from the thread for classifying something a certain way. People here have widely differing views about what qualifies for being counted. Personally, if you're counting books and movies, it should probably be those specific things, be it paper, e-book, or audiobook, or cinema or tv screening. But "reading material" and audio/visual material" is probably better terminology, given the wide variety of stuff people consume for entertainment these days.

Wensih

Already watched 13 movies. Someone stop me. Maybe the Netflix blockage isn't such a bad thing after all.

I also decided to try and get 5000 manga chapters and 500 anime episodes under my belt.

I've hit 17, probably be 20 by the end of the holiday weekend. Smartflix still works so I can enjoy movies region free.

brawly

I've hit 17, probably be 20 by the end of the holiday weekend. Smartflix still works so I can enjoy movies region free.

I'm at 15 now I think. It's so weird because before Netflix I had to drag myself to watch a new movie, I was a tv show addict. Now it's the opposite.

Somnia

Well up to 6 movies after tonight and 3 books. That's a pretty good pace and I'm feel good about my books, not as much about my movies other than Hateful Eight, though Time Lapse was ok.

Wensih

Better late than never (I didn't think any one else was going to do it, and I figured some recognition was deserved for the people who participated last year).

QmjDi9z.jpg

I also posted this in the 2015 thread. I don't think I missed anyone, was going by the regular format that we've used prior months

#/50 Books / #/50 Films to take the tally.

Mumei

Better late than never (I didn't think any one else was going to do it, and I figured some recognition was deserved for the people who participated last year).

QmjDi9z.jpg

I also posted this in the 2015 thread. I don't think I missed anyone, was going by the regular format that we've used prior months

Thanks for doing this!

Necrovex

QmjDi9z.jpg

My name is missing. Waaaaaaaaah!

Having the ability to play video games again and keeping up with this challenge has been bloody difficult. Skyrim can be way too addicting.

LaNaranja

I am totally guilty of rewatching the same shit way too much and not watching enough new stuff. I also barely ever read at all. This year shall be different.

DarthOrange - 0/50 Books | 16/50 Movies

Books

I recently got Marvel Unlimited so I have just been reading an issue or two a night from there. I just don't have the time or the patience to read a normal 200 page book.

Movies

1. Mad Max: Fury Road - ★★★★★ - People were not kidding, this movie does have some really amazing action scenes. The plot was about as thin as could be but who cares when the action is this good.
2. Under the Skin - ★★★★★ - This one was…. interesting. It is super disturbing and strange and the more I think about it the more I enjoy it. I haven't had a movie stick with me like this in a long time.
3. Kingsman: The Secret Service - ★★★★☆ - Another really great action movie. Didn't care too much for Sam Jackson's character.
4. Focus - ★★★☆☆ - The movie is fun enough but comes to a screeching halt about half way through and never really finds its footing again.
5. Wishmaster - ★★☆☆☆ - An extremely terrible movie. That said, the effects and dialogue are entertaining. There is undoubtably entertainment to be had.
6. Deadpool - ★★★★☆ - Better than it has any right to be. It was clear this wasn't give a big enough budget to do much more which is what makes it even more impressive that it came out as good as it did.
7. Jurassic World - ★★★★☆ - A fun movie with dinosaurs.
8. Zootopia - ★★★★☆ - Top tier Disney. I found the main characters kind of annoying but the overall story was great and the world is beautiful.
9. Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods - ★★★★★ - I had just marathoned through DBZ through the Funimation app so I feel confident when I say this movie is DBZ at its finest. The pace and tone are better than anything DBZ related has ever been.
10. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - ★★★☆☆ - I really wanted to love this. The action was top notch but the pacing and story were poop.
11. Phantoms - ★★☆☆☆ - I love how this movie wastes no time thrusting you into the mystery. The first half or so of the movie is fantastic. That said, the more the movie explains the worse it gets. By the last half hour I was just sorta like, fuck this is just stupid and boring and I don't give a shit anymore.
12. Snow White and the Huntsman - ★★☆☆☆ - I loved everything about this movie except for Snow White herself. The supporting cast was great. Kristen Stewart unfortunately just does not have an ounce of charisma in her body and drags the whole thing down.
13. Miles Ahead - ★★★★★- Absolutely fantastic. Don Cheadle proves just how talented he is with his throughly entertaining not quite a biopic directorial debut. He is able to simultaneously make Miles Davis come across as a huge piece of shit while at the same time making him entertaining and likable. The film never drags and I love that they pretty much focus on two days and simply present flashes of his past.
14. Jungle Book - ★★★☆☆ - Beautiful movie with some great performances but the story is barebones though inoffensive. Worth watching through once because it is so beautiful.
15. The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water - ★☆☆☆☆ - Holy shit talk about false advertising. 70% of this hour and a half movie is like a regular shitty stretched out episode. The real world stuff comes into play at the very end and when it finally happens it is disappointing. I remember the trailers and TV spots focusing on what is literally only the last 20 or so minutes of the movie.
16. Lucy - ★★☆☆☆ - This might actually be the stupidest movie I have ever seen. It is like a shitty version of the movie Limitless.
17. Captain America: Civil War - ★★★★★ - A damn fine piece of superhero crossover action. It has its own distinct flavor compared to the Whedon films and it was great to see two huge characters introduced so effortlessly. That said the score was pretty weak and forgettable, more so than the usual Marvel flick.
18. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - ★★★★★ - Beginning to end this movie is light hearted fun. If it weren't for the butt ugly turtle designs this movie would be perfect. I can't recommend it highly enough to Turtles fans or fans of action movies in general.
19. Finding Dory - ★★☆☆☆ - Meh, I don't get the hype. I have never been the biggest Pixar fan and this doesn't really change my opinion on them. I felt like I had déjà vu throughout the film.
20. What We Do in the Shadows - ★★☆☆☆ - I wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did. I found myself bored more often than I was entertained.
21. One Piece Film: Strong World - ★★★☆☆ - It is a fun little self contained thing that doesn't give its plot enough time to flesh out. A show like this has too many protagonists to be able to balance all that plus whatever new characters and conflict they want to introduce. I am curious if the other One Piece films are able to find a solution to this problem.
22. Suicide Squad - ★★★☆☆ - I was able to find enjoyment in this terrible mess of a movie despite all the glaring flaws and issues, not the least of which is the literally faceless generic army and the constant barrage of licensed tracks. Will Smith and Margot Robbie are able to salvage this otherwise deeply flawed movie into something entertaining much like they did with Focus.

QmjDi9z.jpg

Thanks for doing this! Can't believe I forgot to finish the year with a final post so I could be counted haha

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

QmjDi9z.jpg

I'm not included. :(

Wensih

I'm not included. :(

Did you post a final update? I went back through the 2015 thread and couldn't find it, sorry. I was pretty sure I didn't miss anyone who posted a final update. Send me a link to the post if you did; I can add you in tomorrow and update the ranking.

Wensih

My name is missing. Waaaaaaaaah!

Having the ability to play video games again and keeping up with this challenge has been bloody difficult. Skyrim can be way too addicting.

On mobile, so sorry for double post, but read the post above. If you had a final update post, and I for some reason missed it in the 2015 thread, send me a link and I will update the ranking tomorrow.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Did you post a final update? I went back through the 2015 thread and couldn't find it, sorry. I was pretty sure I didn't miss anyone who posted a final update. Send me a link to the post if you did; I can add you in tomorrow and update the ranking.

I thought I did but I didn't. Will do so now then, and then send you the link.

Necrovex

On mobile, so sorry for double post, but read the post above. If you had a final update post, and I for some reason missed it in the 2015 thread, send me a link and I will update the ranking tomorrow.

Oh wait, I forgot to do one in the end. I need to improve my update posting game for 2016! I'll make a final post in the 2015 thread and link you it later today.

A little late to this thread. But this looks fun. My first time here!

A note: I have been keeping track of the books I have been reading on GoodReads and films on IMDB, so this post should be pretty accurate even though this is going to be my first time posting on this thread.

renegade_dewitt 10/50 books | 40/50 films (as of 12/31/16)

The first film that I finished was Victoria. Not really that engaging of a story line or plot, but what was unique about this movie was the very effective use of capturing everything in a single take, like Birdman from last year (although I have yet to watch Birdman, so I can't really say for sure). The movie felt so different from other movies where there are cuts and edits are done subtly to remove the notion that there were cuts in the movie.

January Update
Books
  • If I Stay by Gayle Forman ★★★★
  • Where She Went by Gayle Forman ★★★★★
  • I Was Here by Gayle Forman ★★★★
  • Paper Towns by John Green ★★★
Movies
  • Victoria ★★★ 1/2

February Update
Books
  • The Program by Suzanne Young ★★★★
Movies
  • Steve Jobs ★★★ 1/2
  • The Danish Girl ★★★★ 1/2
  • Room ★★★★ 1/2
  • The Big Short ★★★★★
  • Brooklyn ★★★ 1/2
  • Only Yesterday/Omoide Poroporo (anime movie by Studio Ghibli) ★★★★★

March Update
Books

Movies
  • Zootopia ★★★★★

April Update
Books

Movies
  • Anthem of the Heart/Kokoro ga Sakebitagatteru ★★★★
  • Kung Fu Panda 3 ★★★ 1/2
  • Walt Before Mickey ★★★★★
  • Good night Mommy ★★★★ 1/2
  • The Jungle Book (1967 animated original by Disney) ★★★

May Update
Books

Movies
  • 10 Cloverfield Lane ★★★★ 1/2
  • Deadpool ★★★★ 1/2

June Update
Books
  • The Treatment by Suzanne Young ★★★★

Movies
  • Finding Dory ★★★★
  • The Gift ★★★★★
  • OJ Simpson: Made in America Parts 1-5 ★★★★★

July Update
Books
  • Fair Coin by E.C. Myers ★★★
  • Free to Fall by Lauren Miller ★★★ 1/2

Movies
  • Batman: The Killing Joke ★★★★
  • Munich ★★★★ 1/2

August Update
Books
  • Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two by JK Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne ★★★★ 1/2
  • Dark Matter by Blake Crouch ★★★

Movies
  • Paranorman ★★★
  • Before Sunrise ★★★★
  • Before Sunset ★★★★
  • Before Midnight ★★★★★
  • The Boy and the Beast ★★★★ 1/2

September Update
Books

Movies
  • The Neon Demon ★★★★★
  • Midnight Special ★★★
  • The Secret Life of Pets ★★★★

October Update
Books

Movies
  • Children who Chase Lost Voices/Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo ★★★★★
  • The Garden of Words/Kotonoha no Niwa ★★★★ 1/2
  • Sausage Party ★★★★
  • Hamilton's America ★★★★★

November Update
Books

Movies
  • Arrival ★★★
  • Kubo and the Two Strings ★★★★ 1/2
  • Moana ★★★★ 3/4

December Update
Books

Movies
  • Nerawareta Gakuen/Psychic School Wars ★★★ 3/4
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story ★★★★ 1/2
  • Sing ★★★★★
  • Sully ★★★ 1/2
  • The Girl on the Train ★★★★

Malyse

16090698.jpg

Welcome to the City (Metamor City, #0)
18689989.jpg

Making the Cut (Metamor City, #1)
18689942.jpg

Huntress (Metamor City, #2)
16090713.jpg

The Sentinel (Metamor City, #3)
18689949.jpg

The Muse (Metamor City, #4)
18689950.jpg

Troubled Minds (Metamor City, #5)
18689954.jpg

Whispers in the Wood (Metamor City, #6)
18689962.jpg

A Lightbringer Carol (Metamor City, #7)
18689946.jpg

The Cuckoo (Metamor City, #8)
28091830.jpg

To Walk in Shadow: A Tale of Metamor City
NoCoverAvailable.jpg

The Three Graces (Metamor City)
NoCoverAvailable.jpg

Dreams of Change (Metamor City)

Genre: Fantasy
Publication date: 2007-2015
Pages: varies
Rating: In for a penny...
Completed: Before 01-17-2016

So. I actually was only planning on listing Making the Cut and (when I finish it) Things Unseen, but I found out that each of them has a separate listing on Goodreads. If Goodreads counts them separately, then so shall I.

Metamor City in one of the most liberal books I've read. One of the most interesting things is how it intentionally doesn't default to a white protagonist; in one of the novels, the main character is black but it's not specifically mentioned until a point where the character says they are glad that there skin is too dark to show them blushing (a little later a detailed physical description is given. In the same way, no one is assumed to be heterosexual and being homosexual isn't a big deal; there are two characters (a male and a female) that are both pursuing the same character. There's even polyamory and transgender characters.

All that being said, Metamor City is also intensely well written. Some of the things characters go through is absolutely rip your heart out Whedon would be proud brutal and there are some very mature themes to be found within. The series doesn't shy away from rape and murder (spoiler
they put a knife in a screaming baby in an incredibly brutal scene
) nor does it shy away from being explicit with sexual situations. This might be the most unadaptable thing I've ever read. I can't wait to read more.

Master List

SleazyC

Back in for another round! I kinda fell off updating my books and films read last year but I crushed my book goal and ended with 66 books. I stopped tracking films but plan to do so more strictly this year and maybe even throw in some words about what I thought about a specific book or film.

SleazyC - 4/50 books | 5/50 movies

Books

1. Black Flags: The Rise of ISIS [01/09/16] ★★★★
2. Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1) [01/14/16] ★★★★★
3. Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch, #2) [01/21/16] ★★★★
4. Ancillary Mercy (Imperial Radch, #3) [01/27/16] ★★★★

Movies

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens [01/03/16] ★★★
2. Sicario [01/02/16] ★★★★
3. Cartel Land [01/09/16] ★★★ 1/2
4. The Revenant [01/17/16] ★★★★★
5. The Hateful Eight [01/28/16] ★★★★

Rex Colt

Neo Member
I read ~30 books last year so I decided to do the 52 book challenge on goodreads. I guess I will do this too since half of it is already covered.

Rex Colt - 9/50 books | 1/50 movies

Books:
1. Slaughterhouse 5 by Vonnegut
2. The Color of Magic by Pratchett
3. Equal Rites by Pratchett
4. Mort by Pratchett
5. Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut
6. A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
7. The X-files: I want to believe compiled by Jonathan Maberry
8 & 9. Morning Star by Pierce Brown
Starting the Bone Clocks by David Mitchell and Guards! Guards! by Pratchett now.

Movies:
Trainwreck

I fell like I got lucky on the reading portion due to just discovering the Discworld series. it is amazing so far and have been told it only gets better as Pratchett finds his voice later on in the books.

Wensih

What I had meant is that if you had made a final update prior to me tallying the results, and that I somehow missed that post, I would go back and correct it, but, regardless, I have revised the list to reflect your updates. I'm not going to revise again unless there is a mistake on the list.

gG5UrtT.jpg

EDIT: If you guys want me to, I can keep track of progress and do a monthly update each month.

brawly

I fell like I got lucky on the reading portion due to just discovering the Discworld series. it is amazing so far and have been told it only gets better as Pratchett finds his voice later on in the books.

Holy shit that's a long ass series. Will check it out though.

Rex Colt

Neo Member
Holy shit that's a long ass series. Will check it out though.

It seems pretty intimidating but the books are mostly on the shorter side and they are extremely fun reads so far. Another thing I think will help is that not all the books are the same story line. There are several different groups of novels that follow different characters and take place in different areas of the discworld.

HonestCone

Neo Member
Hey everyone,

This is actually my first post here on gaf and figured this would be a cool challenge for myself in 2016. Although I'm starting a little late I hope this will keep me accountable!

HonestCone - 0/50 books | 3/50 movies

Movies

1. The Forest (2016) (Directed by Jason Zada)
2. The Hateful Eight (2015) (Directed by Quentin Tarantino)
3. Moonrise Kingdom (2012) (Directed by Wes Anderson)

Books

Failed at my task last year. This year, I shall succeed. Audiobooks shall help me reach my goal and spike my interest in further reading topics.

Lastflowers - 53/50 Books | 35/50 Movies | 33/50 Series

Books
  1. William L. Shirer - The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany
  2. David McCullough - 1776
  3. David McCullough - The Wright Brothers
  4. Choam Potak - The Chosen
  5. David McCullough - Brave Companions
  6. Bill Bryson - One Summer: America, 1927
  7. Bill Bryson - A Short History of Everything
  8. David McCullough - John Adams
  9. Ta-Nehisi Coates - Between the World and Me
  10. Robert Reich - Saving Capitalism: For the Many, Not the Few
  11. Michael Lewis - The Big Short
  12. Robert Reich - Aftershock
  13. Michael Lewis - Flash Boys
  14. Michael Lewis - Liar's Poker
  15. Noam Chomsky - Profit over People
  16. Henry James - Watch and Ward
  17. Erik Larson - Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
  18. Erik Larson - The Devil in the White City
  19. Noam Chomsky - Understanding Power
  20. Sal Arnuk and Joseph Saluzzi - Broken Markets
  21. John M Ackerman, David Coogan, et al: The Public Work of Rhetoric: Citizen-Scholars and Civic Engagement
  22. John Maynard Keynes - Essays on Persuasion
  23. Neil Postman - Amusing Ourselves to Death
  24. Bill Bryson - Shakespeare: The World as Stage
  25. Erik Larson - Lethal Passage: How the Travels of a Single Handgun Expose the Roots of America's Gun Crisis
  26. Thomas Piketty - Why Save the Bankers?
  27. Michael Lewis - Panic
  28. Thomas Piketty - The Economics of Inequality
  29. Ta-Nehisi Coates - The Beautiful Struggle
  30. Michael Lewis - Money Ball
  31. Noam Chomsky - Who Rules the World?
  32. Ha-Joon Chang - 23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism
  33. David McCullough - The Greater journey: Americans in Paris
  34. John Kenneth Galbraith - The Great Crash 1929
  35. Mark Twain - Tom Sawyer / The Adventures of Huck Finn (counting re-read of both as 1)
  36. David Brion Davis - Challenging the Boundaries of Slavery
  37. Dollars and Sense - Real World Micro
  38. Mark Twain - Life on the Mississippi
  39. John Kenneth Galbraith - The Affluent Society
  40. Bill Bryson - A Walk in the Woods
  41. M. Lane Bruner - Strategies of Remembrance
  42. Michael Lewis - The New New Thing
  43. Bill Bryson - The Lost Continent
  44. David Foster Wallace - String Theory
  45. JK Rowling - Tales of the Beetle Bard whatever it's called / Quidditch through the Ages (Counting both as one)
  46. JK Rowling - Cursed Child
  47. Gene Wolfe - A Borrowed Man
  48. José Antonio Ocampo and Joseph E. Stiglitz - Capital Market Liberalization and Development
  49. Homer - Illiad (Yeah, so what if I read it 12 years ago, I'm counting it anyway)
  50. The Landmark Herodotus
  51. Gene Wolf - The Knight
  52. Gene Wolf - The Wizard
  53. John McPhee - Levels of the Game

Movies
  1. The Revenant
  2. The Hateful Eight
  3. Concussion
  4. A League of Their Own
  5. Galaxy Quest
  6. The Thin Blue Line
  7. Hoop Dreams
  8. Enter the Dragon (Counting it since I was probably 9 when I last saw it..)
  9. Four Falls of Buffalo
  10. Sherlock: The Abominable Bride
  11. Sicario
  12. Chasing Tyson
  13. Jeremiah Johnson
  14. Serpico
  15. Hail, Caeser!
  16. Zootopia
  17. 10 Cloverfield Lane
  18. Spy Game
  19. Batman Vs. Superman
  20. Seven Samurai
  21. Popstar
  22. Eye in the Sky
  23. A Most Violent Year
  24. Now You See Me 2
  25. Total Recall (2012)
  26. A Few Good Men
  27. All the Presidents Men
  28. Kubo and the Two String
  29. The Magnificent Seven (2016)
  30. Suicide Squad
  31. Singin in the Rain
  32. The Accountant
  33. Angels and Demons
  34. The Hustler
  35. The Sting

TV Series
  1. John Adams
  2. Roosevelts (Ken Burns Documentary)
  3. Civil War (Ken Burns Documentary)
  4. The War (Ken Burns Documentary)
  5. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season 10
  6. Jessica Jones
  7. Homeland: Season 5
  8. Friends: Season 1
  9. Friends: Season 2
  10. Californication: Season 3
  11. Californication: Season 4
  12. Californication: Season 5
  13. The People V OJ Simpson
  14. Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Season 3
  15. Better Call Saul: Season 2
  16. The Larry Sanders Show: Season 02
  17. The Larry Sanders Show: Season 03
  18. The Larry Sanders Show: Season 04
  19. The Larry Sanders Show: Season 05
  20. The Larry Sanders Show: Season 06
  21. Person of Interest: Season 05
  22. The Americans: Season 03
  23. House: Season 01
  24. House: Season 02
  25. House: Season 03
  26. House: Season 04
  27. House: Season 05
  28. House: Season 06
  29. House: Season 07
  30. House: Season 08
  31. The Night Of
  32. Mr Robot Season 01
  33. Mr Robot Season 02
  34. Atlanta

Nice, haha. I'm finally getting into the series as well and halfway through book 1 I can already feel like it's gonna be more than a handful of my book entries this year. :p

Auctopus

butch-cassidy-and-the-sundance-kid.jpg

Original Post

Maybe because it's a film from another era but there's a mid-point in this film which I found so dull. It's around the time they're being chased across the West by Pinkerton. Then they jump off the cliff into the river and things get going again.

Loved the setting, the shots are beautiful and expansive. Really captures the environment in which the film was set. Really like the characters, both Redford and Newman did a charismatic job as did the actress who played Etta. The ending was bittersweet but classy, I remembered in these final moments that I was watching two criminals get their comeuppance but it was still sad to see them go.

Malyse

2210151.jpg

Genre: Historical Fantasy
Publication date: 2005
Pages: 324
Rating: So that happened.
Completed: 01-19-16

Born into the human world with a gift; a gift that brings him to the attention of powers both dark and light from the World of the Fey, it is his burden to defend all the world.

Sive, the goddess of battle, hopes that he may be able to change the fate of her people.The Fey are dying, killed by something beyond the boundaries of worlds, and Sive will do anything to save them. So she enlists the help of her trickster cousin Puck to guard the child, and watch him grow into his gift. But a dark power imprisoned by human and Fey, plots to destroy both worlds, and unmake all that they have created.

Can one boy stop the destruction, even if he is William Shakespeare?

I found the first half somewhat difficult to follow, but the second half kicked things into gear and left me with a good impression. I'll give the next one a shot too.

Master List

kinoki

The 1% arguing about who's winning. ;)

I'm just happy to be in the top 10 continually.

Malyse

2000581.jpg

Genre: Space Sci Fi
Publication date: 2005
Pages: 264
Rating: Well damn.
Completed: 01-20-16

The Confederated Worlds are unparalleled as a society of free people, yet, somehow, slavery still manages to exist. Aer'La, a non-human, was bred to serve as a pleasure slave. Years ago, she escaped her masters and masqueraded as a human, joining the Confederate Navy, where she worked her way up to ship's Bos'n under the heroic Captain Jan Atal. Now, Aer'La's secret has been discovered by Atal's superiors, the media, and the world at large. Branded a sociopath, she learns that even a free society isn't willing to grant freedom - or justice - to all.

This book kinda blew me away. I have been listening to the Arbiter radio dramas and they were lighthearted fun with some drama. This, on the other hand, went dark and it went dark immediately. Like, murder, rape and sexual abuse, slavery dark. I absolutely didn't see that coming, nor was I ahead of the plot as I typically am. I knew a resolution was coming, but I didn't know how it would come about. Really well written. I would like a Star Trek in the same vein.

Master Post

Auctopus

The-Hateful-Eight-Banner.jpg

Original Post

Originally went out to see The Revenant but it was sold out. Decided to see this despite it being late and the run time being over 3 hours!

Anyway, it was great. All the performances were solid except for a rogue Australian and the tension provided in the first half (there was an intermission half way through that apparently Tarantino requested) is brilliant. It's very satisfying slow burn that never gives the game away. The vibe changes a little in the second half and I'll admit I didn't enjoy it as much, it feels a little light-hearted and the tension is cut a little. However, it was still just as enjoyable. Saw this on a cold Winter night which only complimented the film as it made the outdoor scenes really feel cold and suffering.

I'll have to wait for the honeymoon period to be over but it's definitely entered my Top 3 Tarantino films. Really enjoyed it.

vitacola

Argh, I know I'm late, but I'm already involved in the yearly gaming Backlog Blitz and should definitely read more. Let's do this!

vitacola - 02/50 Books | 19/50 Movies

Q: What about fanzines? Do they count? Actually I'm reading some about football (aka soccer) Groundhopping every year. It's like reading a book full of short stories :p
___

Books:
  1. Ortsfremd - Reisetagebuch der Szene Mainz - 2nd Issue
  2. Inherent Vice (Thomas Pynchon)

Movies:
  1. The Equalizer
  2. Station Agent
  3. The Zero Theorem
  4. A Walk Among The Tombstones
  5. Mud
  6. Muppets Most Wanted
  7. Erased