• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2018.

BurstZyn

35. Element4l (PSVita): A platformer with an interesting concept of switching between ice, fire, air, and earth in order to progress through stages. This concept makes this game challenging but satisfying in the sense of solving puzzles with limited moves. Music was alright but felt out of place and weird, and the cutscenes felt so disturbing that i wasn't really sure what i was looking at.
(3/5)
36. Deponia (PS4): Rufus lives basically on a garbage planet, and hes looking for a way out to the paradise that is Elysium. So ima go ahead and start with that im not really a fan of point and click adventure games, so my review may be a lil more unfair than usual, but nevertheless its an average P&C game. I am not a fan of the main character at all, but to be fair I believe thats the point. The humor is alright, may be a moment or 2 that i actually laughed.
(3/5)

kyubajin

15: Dark Souls III
PS4 | 46 hours
Finally got to finish then end of this amazing trilogy, did a blind STR run and had a blast trying out the new changes that Miyazaki implemented. It’s incredible how far this whole franchise has reached and I’m saddened at knowing that it’s going to be a long while until or if they even decide to continue it. Will do NG+ and all the DLC content now.
16: Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
PS4 | 55 hours
As one of my favourite PS2 RPGs of all time and having never beaten the “true ending” this was a blast to play. More a remake than a remaster this game is even more gorgeous than I remembered and with the complete overhaul of the combat system it feels even better than yonder.

17: Monster Hunter: World
PS4 | 140 hours
Wow, just wow. As my first MH I have to admit that this game is pure crack, hooked me to no avail and made me play for 100 hours without even realising. This game is infinite, however I managed to “finish” the main campaign after some exhilarating dozens of hours. Will definitely continue until at least the Tempered Elder Dragons.

BurstZyn

36. Deponia (PS4): Rufus lives basically on a garbage planet, and hes looking for a way out to the paradise that is Elysium. So ima go ahead and start with that im not really a fan of point and click adventure games, so my review may be a lil more unfair than usual, but nevertheless its an average P&C game. I am not a fan of the main character at all, but to be fair I believe thats the point. The humor is alright, may be a moment or 2 that i actually laughed.
(3/5)
37. Sleeping Dogs: Wheels of Fury (Xbone): Man this game is fucking awesome! This may be a short 50 minute DLC but it just adds this fantastical awesome ass part to an already great game. Such fun in such a short amount of time
(5/5)

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
gQjNnY6.png

Around 5h. 5 star, #1 rank pool.

It's been a while since I last played a Kairosoft game, and luckily they don't seem to have lost their touch - Poll Slide Story was as fun as every other Kairo game, and allowed for more personalization than usual, with slides having a system similar to Rollercoaster Tycoon-like games.

The game is sorta hard at the beggining, but it becomes a tad too easy after some hours (once you discover how to make Rainbow pools, you have basically won the game).

I'm removing a star for the absolutely awful translation, though - it's way more that simply typos or jumbled words; some times the text was used in wrong places and it doesn't make sense at all, impacting gameplay (for example, a customer might say he wants a special pool, but you check the messages tab and discover he wants a swimsuit). This is bad enough to sharply impact the enjoyment of the game.

My Score: ★★★

Pu0WB4J.png

Steam says 75h, but considering I read it at work in short spurts it was more like 20h-ish including TIPS.

Let me preface this by saying that I really, really DON'T like Satoko. She's the kind of character that makes me roll my eyes when I'm watching anime. The "feisty angry loli" character doesn't appeal to me in the least, and I feel she breaks the dynamic of the game too much with her slapstick.

That said, Tatarigoroshi redeems her character a LITTLE giving us a reason to actually care for her. It's still the weakest arc of the series so far in my opinion, with basically no mystery or supernatural elements, but it introduces us to a lot of important concepts, like the GHD, Takano being a key player, or Rika's fate. So it's important to understand Tatarigoroshi as what it is: a question arc that sets up things for future, more meaty stories.

PS: Keiichi is supposed to be a gifted child? Because he's really, really dumb.

My Score: ★★★★☆

Original Post

I originally searched for Ascii Stars in Google and now I copy and paste them from my own old posts
Now I'm depressed. I always marvelled at the presentation skills of some posters, but now I know they use Google just like me. A magician should never reveal his tricks!

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
Now I'm depressed. I always marvelled at the presentation skills of some posters, but now I know they use Google just like me. A magician should never reveal his tricks!

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

You know, it's Occam's Razor! It's true that I dedicate an unhealthy amount of time to my lists. Seeing them always makes my wife laugh, which is... good... maybe...?

Main Post

39. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U) - 8/10 Charming and a ton of fun. Should've played sooner!
40. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (3DS) - 8/10 Fun and creative game. Felt a little long at times
41. Super Lucky's Tale (Xbox One) - 6/10
Average all around. It's colorful but wasn't impressed with the 4k
42. Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (Gamecube) - 7/10
Frustrating final missions damper my love of this game
43. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - 8/10
Solid platformer. A tad easy, I ended with around 120 lives.
44. Call of Duty: WWII (PS4) - 7/10
Solid game but I feel like I have played it many times. Story was decent.
45. Splatoon 2 (Switch) - 8/10
More of the same from Splatoon, which is great. Game is a lot of fun even when it got a bit challenging near the end.
46. Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (3DS) - 6/10
Complete letdown of a game. Beautiful graphics that reminded me of the old NES/SNES games and it was just so blah. Super short too.
47. The Room Two (iPad) - 8/10
Fun little puzzle game. You can see the increased budget in this game. Good stuff.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
HP10ZMq.png

65:12h. Full game + secret "ending". Some heavy spoilers in the second paragraph.

Octopath Traveler is a really polarizing game, just like I've come to expect from Takahashi. Some people love the novel approach to storytelling, others hate the weakly interwoven plot and the lack of a real denouement. Me? I think I'm in the middle ground, actually, though more in the "like" camp. I loved the good; the fantastic battle system, the awesome music, the pleasant retro-ish graphics style, the interesting characters and their development... but I have to admit I was disappointed when I realized that Octopath Traveler is, basically, 8 brilliant, bite-sized JRPGs that were put together as an afterthought. Still, a must-play if you love the genre and got into it in the SNES era; it does a lot of things well, it's a good, even great game - just not a genre definer.

I still think it's a cheap shot to hide the connection between the eight stories behind a boss rush without save points or checkpoints and a secret, bonus boss which is harder than anything else in the game and can take you several hours of slowly nibbling him down if you don't run a VERY SPECIFIC build. If instead of making it a sidequest they made a final "chapter 5" and made it somewhat easier, it would have been worth half a star by itself.

My Score: ★★★★☆

Original Post

Last edited:

BurstZyn

37. Sleeping Dogs: Wheels of Fury (Xbone): Man this game is fucking awesome! This may be a short 50 minute DLC but it just adds this fantastical awesome ass part to an already great game. Such fun in such a short amount of time
(5/5)
38. Darksiders Warmastered Edition (PS4): Playing the second game first and getting pretty easily bored with it, i thought this was gonna be a mediocre series with some cool designs. But this first installment blew me, i love so much about it. The combat, the writing, and the designs just bring out the edgy 16 year old out of me, in a good way. Now that's not to say that this game doesn't have problems. i ran into about 1 game breaking glitch and 2 nearly game breaking glitches, but nevertheless i found ways around them. And the game did feel like it took a lil longer in certain areas, such as the freeing Azarel part. I can only praise this game for actually make me excited about retrying 2 and getting ready for the 3rd one.
(5/5)

BurstZyn

38. Darksiders Warmastered Edition (PS4): Playing the second game first and getting pretty easily bored with it, i thought this was gonna be a mediocre series with some cool designs. But this first installment blew me, i love so much about it. The combat, the writing, and the designs just bring out the edgy 16 year old out of me, in a good way. Now that's not to say that this game doesn't have problems. i ran into about 1 game breaking glitch and 2 nearly game breaking glitches, but nevertheless i found ways around them. And the game did feel like it took a lil longer in certain areas, such as the freeing Azarel part. I can only praise this game for actually make me excited about retrying 2 and getting ready for the 3rd one.
(5/5)
39. Yu-Gi-Oh: Legacy of The Duelist (PS4): Play through the campaign of the Yu-Gi-Oh series as the Classic, GX (My favorite), 5D's, Zexal, and a tutorial to start with Arc-V. Game is an average video card game, not my favorite of the ones i have played, and it has really reminded how edgy and ridiculous the show was haha. But it was still fun to go through the original and GX seeing familiar faces and duels. And it showed me that 5D's, while everyone has stupid haircuts, its actually pretty cool with the rules and the series doesn't seem terrible. ARC-V seemed a lil too ridiculous to m, and i wasn't to much a fan of XYZ summoning, and i dread Pendulum summoning. That's the reason i really hate playing online. But besides that, few dozens of the cards out of thousands get animation which was a cool touch if it didn't cause the game to crap itself. But if you feel like dueling with NEARLY every card in the series, its an alright grab.
(3/5)

BurstZyn

39. Yu-Gi-Oh: Legacy of The Duelist (PS4): Play through the campaign of the Yu-Gi-Oh series as the Classic, GX (My favorite), 5D's, Zexal, and a tutorial to start with Arc-V. Game is an average video card game, not my favorite of the ones i have played, and it has really reminded how edgy and ridiculous the show was haha. But it was still fun to go through the original and GX seeing familiar faces and duels. And it showed me that 5D's, while everyone has stupid haircuts, its actually pretty cool with the rules and the series doesn't seem terrible. ARC-V seemed a lil too ridiculous to m, and i wasn't to much a fan of XYZ summoning, and i dread Pendulum summoning. That's the reason i really hate playing online. But besides that, few dozens of the cards out of thousands get animation which was a cool touch if it didn't cause the game to crap itself. But if you feel like dueling with NEARLY every card in the series, its an alright grab.
(3/5)
40. Mother Russia Bleeds (PS4): Played through this with my brother, love the aesthetic of it, music is pretty cool. Will say this game felt unfair at points haha, my brother and I just gave up at the end and went for the bad ending. Would recommend this if you're looking to play a fun ass beat 'em up with some friends.
(4/5)

14. God of War: One of my favorite games of all time. So glad I actually picked this game up. The combat feels so good and brutal kinda like Doom but with an axe. The small open world hub you have feels just right in size. What really makes me love any game though is story and characters. Starting with side characters: Brok and Sindri were the comic relief the game needed since and Mimir gave all sorts of opportunities for dialogue due to his world/heaven knowledge that would have been impossible without him (also comic relief). Atreus also feels like a real kid, I can not emphasis this enough. Kratos is always an exaggerated character be it as fury or gruffness incarnate but becomes more human as the game goes on. The main story is not a grand tale; they have a simple task, spreading the mom's ashes. It's a journey>destination tale. 10/10
15. Tacoma: I enjoyed watching AR recordings (think Pokemon Go) of the events on the space station that precipitated my arrival. Unraveling the story in such a manner is a cool idea. I did feel like I got to know the characters and had a few touching moments. The main gripe I have is that the main character doesn't comment on anything that is going on unlike in Gone Home. I think had she the game's narrative crescendo would have been more effective than it is. There are reasons why they couldn't do this that I can't get into without spoiling anything but those reasons could have easily been altered to allow for it. 7/10

16. Unavowed: The puzzles didn't make me want to pull my hair out! I never stumbled on the answer of a puzzle by randomly combining objects; the only time I had to confront a guide it turned out my game bugged out and I had to restart. So that aspect is great. I liked the supernatural detective agency feel and the game goes out of it's way to reference lore that makes the world feel fleshed out. Story has some cool/surprising moments and there are multiple endings. Characters feel like real people just with fantastical powers. This game does everything right from a point and click perspective 8/10
17. Civilization V: One night I stayed up to 5AM in the morning marching my samurai on the civilizations of Greece and Arabia, destroying them, and making puppet states out of their cities. 9/10

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
zdEp9IB.png

1h-ish?.

Purchased it for the Switch on a whim, remembering evening after evening of me burning my allowance in the arcades when I was a kid. Now that I got it on a home console, Metal Slug is a beautiful-looking 30-minute game with a lot of fake difficulty which gets negated when you have unlimited credits.

Also, the Switch version lags like hell.

My Score: ★★☆☆

Original Post

tschep2

Neo Member
33. Mega Man X3 (PS4): 7/10, finished 08/02/18
First time through X3 and X4 to polish off the first legacy collection. Pretty fun! Nothing really too bad to say about it other than it felt like more Mega Man X/X2, which isn't a bad thing at all. The new power-ups were rad, the new mechanics and spoilers because, ya never know...
playing as Zero was really really cool!
Overall it was a very solid entry!

34. Mega Man X4 (PS4): 7/10, finished 08/07/18
A lot of echoing thoughts that I had with X3. The FMVs were cool and the voice acting wasn't AS bad as I was led to believe. It was kind of charming and heralded back to the PS1 days. Not much else to add

35. Double Dragon IV: 8/10, finished 08/08/18
This was kind of a weird pick. I was bored one evening and browsing through my steam library I noticed this game which I had no recollection of purchasing. I'm also by no means a savant of the beat 'em up genre outside of Turtles in Time and Battletoads, so this game could have been absolute trash and I didn't even know it. The steam reviews seem to suggest that? Regardless, I had a lot of fun with the game! It was a great way to kill 2 hours, if that, and I want to check out other Double Dragon games now.

36. Life is Strange: Before the Storm: 4/10, finished 08/20/18
In anticipation to LiS2, I finally got around to finishing this one. Right off the bat, I liked a lot of what this game tried to do. The back talk mechanic was really fun, the voice acting was excellent, and the setting/world continues to be exceptional. My biggest issue was that the writing and dialogue weren't particularly gripping. I think expectations of the story were what really killed it for me, unfortunately. I feel that having played the first game we were led to believe a much more exciting narrative was going to occur, when in reality it ended up being... pretty boring. Twin Peaks is the obvious reference to make regarding these games, so my analogy was that I expected something a little more like "Fire Walk With Me" and instead got a pretty bland soap opera. It doesn't help knowing a lot of the "important" choices in BtS had no actual impact if you played the first game. I couldn't be more glad LiS2 will have a new cast of characters/setting.

37. The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit: 9/10, finished 08/22/18
Keeping the LiS train going, of course I had to play the latest, free entry in the series! What a breath of fresh air this felt like after the worries I had coming out of BtS. It wasn't a particularly long experience, but this game did a really great job setting up the new season as well as all the gameplay and engine improvements. Perhaps some of the praise is just ricocheting off the disappointment I felt with BtS, but I like to think it helped renew some hope for LiS2.

38. Death Squared: 8/10, finished 09/10/18
A random, fun little puzzle game that my girlfriend and I played through one night. It was challenging and frustrating at times, but after about 6 hours and some change we finally got it down. Aesthetically it sort of reminded me of Portal, and the writing and voice acting were in my wheelhouse of humor. Overall a very solid game.

39. Fire Emblem Fates (Valla Path): 7/10, finished 09/11/18
This was a bit of a disjointed playthrough. I played Birthright and Conquest both when they came out and then I got about halfway through this Revelations playthrough before dropping it back in 2016. I think I was just a bit burned out at the time, but now 2 years later I knocked the remainder of the game out pretty quickly. I think Fates was really strong in its gameplay and difficulty, and a lot of the changes to existing systems like the weapon triangle (weapon colors and daggers) were all very good with a special shout out to unlimited durability on weapons. The writing and characters were a bit subpar, however, and I didn't much care for a lot of the cast, with a few exceptions. Fire Emblem is one of my favorite series' and I'm really excited for Three Houses and hope it will exceed expectations!

40. Dead Cells: 10/10, finished 09/13/18
Just want to preface that I did not do everything in this game and I am not personally "done" with it yet, but I guess I did finally have one good run where the stars aligned and I managed to get through the final boss. So while there is more to do, I have seen all the biomes and all the bosses the game has to offer. Now then: holy moly what a fantastic game. I started it on my plane ride to Seattle for PAX and the game had engrossed me completely that the flight was over before I knew it. It was just the type of game I was looking for to play at that time, something easy to pick up and play to help kill boredom while waiting in line at the convention - and my god did it deliver. Between this and Octopath my lines felt nonexistent. The gameplay was great, the writing was funnier than I expected, the bosses were tough, and the deaths were plenty. I think it took about 50-60 runs just to finally get to the last boss and then a few more after that before I finally beat it. I admit after beating the final boss I haven't given it AS much time as I did before that, but I can tell this will be a great game to come back to randomly and do a few runs in the future, maybe experiment with some different builds.

41. Devil May Cry 2: finished 09/20/18
The only game in the series I haven't played, I figured I would check it out seeing as it is the last game chronologically before DMC5 comes out. I would describe this game with a Simpsons awkward collar tug. I now understand the hatred for this game. The combo system is trash, the lack of devil arms is annoying, the guns are way too strong and I feel like most bosses were designed around you just standing there and holding square until they die. Seriously, why are the guns so strong!? Also a lot of the bosses in this game lacked so much personality that even the first game had, like the retort between Dante and the demon before the fight. This was sorely missed all game, though I guess it is kind of hard to talk to a helicopter isn't it? It isn't entirely horrible I suppose, though. I like some enemy and level designs, Dante and Lucia are alright. But that's about all the good I can say about it. I genuinely don't think this game's events will have any impact on DMC5's narrative, making the 6 hours I spent with it feel that much worse.

42. Devil May Cry 3: 10/10, finished 09/26/18
To close off the month and more importantly to cleanse the palette off of DMC2 I gave 3 a good replay, since I had the HD collection installed anyway. My favorite game in the series. Don't really have much to say. If you like stylish action games like Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising, you owe it to yourself to play this game if you haven't already.

BurstZyn

40. Mother Russia Bleeds (PS4): Played through this with my brother, love the aesthetic of it, music is pretty cool. Will say this game felt unfair at points haha, my brother and I just gave up at the end and went for the bad ending. Would recommend this if you're looking to play a fun ass beat 'em up with some friends.
(4/5)
41. Grand Kingdom (PS4): Played through the first main campaign and loved it ever since i got into the beta years ago. The music is enjoyable, art style is fine, and the game play is awesome if you're into tactical role playing games. The two major complaints i have against this game tho, one being a big one at that, is that there are these rival fights at the end of some missions after you defeat the villains, now this guy is part of the same team as you, in no way is he a villain, but if you lose against him, you have restart the entire mission again. I would think they were just possible win/lose fights, but nope if you lose them you gotta restart the entirety of the mission. Now this happens in the last mission of the campaign, which is the longest mission that's basically divided in three parts. I went through the first part pretty easily, the second part is pretty tough, tough enough to where i was down to one last guy of my four against the final boss. and after that epicness i lose in a 'friendly' fight among friendly rivals, and i had to restart the mission all over again. One other complaint i have is that this game gives you 'choices' but there's only one 'choice' to choose, like whats even the point? Besides those two points, the game is great and an awesome pick-up if you feel playing a niche lil tactical semi-fantasy game. Just make sure you choose where you wanna stay, PS4 or Vita, because unfortunately there is no cross-save, which would have been nice.
(4/5)

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
HjmsSrO.png

30h-ish. 94% game completion. Completed all side missions, found all collectibles, didn't have enough Challenge tokens to purchase all suits, got tired of hunting for crimes.

Gotta be honest, this one had slipped under my radar. I know, it was hyped to hell and back since it was announced, but I'm not a big fan of superhero games nor of Spider-man, so I wasn't planning on getting this one. But I got it for free (trade-in) and it easily became my favourite action game of the year, apart from GoW of course - GoW is on a league of its own.

Spider-man is best described as a Batman Arkham set on a living, thriving city, instead of some sort of apocalyptic gothpunk wasteland. NY is basically another protagonist in the game, with lots of characters discussing their relationship to the city. It's great to simply drop to the ground and see how people react to Spidey's presence, take selfies, ask for a high five or simply grumble away. It's a far cry from the dour, self-aggrandizing ambience seen in Gotham and Arkham. Marvel Spider-man is a game about humility and self-sacrifice, seen from the point of view of different people with different objectives, and it shows.

On the technical side, the game is 30fps but they're as smooth as 30fps can be. The setpieces are jawdroppingly awesome, and the designers have managed to make ridiculous-looking villains (like the Rhino and Vulture) seem threatening and interesting.

Now for the not-so-good: MJ and Miles' stealth segments are somewhat boring and feel forced. Combat can be repetitive and also, the bosses are a tad on the easy side, which can be anticlimatic considering sometimes the real challenge is actually getting to them, instead of beating them. But those are small specks that in no way get in the way of such a brilliant game.

My Score: ★★★★★

Original Post

kyubajin

16: Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
PS4 | 55 hours
As one of my favourite PS2 RPGs of all time and having never beaten the “true ending” this was a blast to play. More a remake than a remaster this game is even more gorgeous than I remembered and with the complete overhaul of the combat system it feels even better than yonder.

17: Monster Hunter: World
PS4 | 140 hours
Wow, just wow. As my first MH I have to admit that this game is pure crack, hooked me to no avail and made me play for 100 hours without even realising. This game is infinite, however I managed to “finish” the main campaign after some exhilarating dozens of hours. Will definitely continue until at least the Tempered Elder Dragons.

18: God of War (2018)
PS4 | 30ish hours
What can I say that hasn’t been said already, this game is a masterpiece of pacing, story, character development, action and gameplay. I only want more, visit more realms, more bosses, more development. Eagerly awaiting for the next instalment.

19: Another World 30 Anniversary
PS4 | 30 minutes
This is one of the first games I ever played on PC back when I was a kid. What now took me roughly 30 minutes had me hooked for months back in the day, a classic game with excellent gameplay, puzzles and music.

20: Ratchet & Clank (2016)
PS4 | 10 hours
I got into the series with the so-called Future series on PS3 (here in EU it was just standard R&C) and I must say that this reimagining of the first game was OK, not as stellar as Tools of Destruction or A Crack in Time. Very enjoyable yet not as powerful as apparently the original PS2 game was.

BurstZyn

41. Grand Kingdom (PS4): Played through the first main campaign and loved it ever since i got into the beta years ago. The music is enjoyable, art style is fine, and the game play is awesome if you're into tactical role playing games. The two major complaints i have against this game tho, one being a big one at that, is that there are these rival fights at the end of some missions after you defeat the villains, now this guy is part of the same team as you, in no way is he a villain, but if you lose against him, you have restart the entire mission again. I would think they were just possible win/lose fights, but nope if you lose them you gotta restart the entirety of the mission. Now this happens in the last mission of the campaign, which is the longest mission that's basically divided in three parts. I went through the first part pretty easily, the second part is pretty tough, tough enough to where i was down to one last guy of my four against the final boss. and after that epicness i lose in a 'friendly' fight among friendly rivals, and i had to restart the mission all over again. One other complaint i have is that this game gives you 'choices' but there's only one 'choice' to choose, like whats even the point? Besides those two points, the game is great and an awesome pick-up if you feel playing a niche lil tactical semi-fantasy game. Just make sure you choose where you wanna stay, PS4 or Vita, because unfortunately there is no cross-save, which would have been nice.
(4/5)
42. Severed (PSVita): This game is sick, I really can't say that I have any complaints against it. The music is cool, the art design is awesome, and the combat is original and fun. The boss battles work well and they don't tend to be to hard or to easy.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
LN8p0dx.png

12:57h. "Hard" mode.

Allow me to paint you a picture for this one. You've been away from your hometown for 20 years, and you're finally back for vacation. One day, you discover that your favourite hole-in-the-wall restaurant is still there! You enter and everything is as you remembered - the pictures in the walls, the menus on the tables. Even the owner is the same sweet old lady, just a bit older.

You try to order but she dismisses you with a handwave and goes away. After some minutes, she comes back with your usual. She still remembers after so long! Her wicked chicken soup, the glorious meatloaf, even your favourite wine that you were quite sure that it wasn't even made anymore. Memories come back flooding with every bite and you have to resist the urge to break into tears. After such a banquet, you're stuffed almost to the brim, but you have been saving some room for desert. Will it be her famous mud pie or her homemade rice pudding?

But no; instead, she comes back with something vile. Imagine reverse spherified mango drops on a bed of room-temperature mayo foam, with a caramelised soy sauce reduction dip. You try it, but it tastes like ashes and death. So you get up and prepare to leave - but a gigantic, and hitherto unseen, bouncer puts you in a headlock. Then the owner starts spoonfeeding you that hellish dessert, all while cackling maniacally. Not only that, but between spoonfuls she shows you photos of you in the past, eating her famous mud pie and having a grand old time.

You finally finish the fiendish concoction and leave in a huff. You don't even remember the rest of the meal: you're hurt, confused and will have a foul taste in your mouth for weeks. But while you're scuttling down the street, you hear the owner say "Next time don't forget to bring your friends!".

Welcome to Thimbleweed Park!

My Score: ★★

Original Post

Last edited:

BurstZyn

42. Severed (PSVita): This game is sick, I really can't say that I have any complaints against it. The music is cool, the art design is awesome, and the combat is original and fun. The boss battles work well and they don't tend to be to hard or to easy.
43. Parasite Eve (PS1): First game of my horror month backlog, while the game itself isn't that scary, the designs of the monsters are horrific and awesome! The monster designs remind of the 1980's film The Thing (My favorite horror movie) and the beautiful FMV's show the transformations in such a way that still holds up today. The music is amazing, gives kind of a Kingdom Hearts feel, and the stages of this game are done well. Some of the complaints i would have tho is, while the game play is awesome and intricate, some of the fights and the areas that the fights take place feel kinda cheap, unfair, and hard to counter/avoid. And the end game is so long and kinda unexpected to where I wasn't able to fully take advantage of the upgrade system that takes place in the police station. Besides those points, the game is amazing and still holds up to this day.
(4/5)

BurstZyn

43. Parasite Eve (PS1): First game of my horror month backlog, while the game itself isn't that scary, the designs of the monsters are horrific and awesome! The monster designs remind of the 1980's film The Thing (My favorite horror movie) and the beautiful FMV's show the transformations in such a way that still holds up today. The music is amazing, gives kind of a Kingdom Hearts feel, and the stages of this game are done well. Some of the complaints i would have tho is, while the game play is awesome and intricate, some of the fights and the areas that the fights take place feel kinda cheap, unfair, and hard to counter/avoid. And the end game is so long and kinda unexpected to where I wasn't able to fully take advantage of the upgrade system that takes place in the police station. Besides those points, the game is amazing and still holds up to this day.
(4/5)
44. Zombi (PS4): Next game in the month of Shocktober; This game is not a perfect 5/5, but its also even less than perfect making it not even a 4/5. There are so many bugs and a good amount being nearly game breaking. Which is unfortunate because this game is awesome, it has the pre-Salt and Sanctuary idea of losing items upon death, so now kill your previous character to get those ideas back. The dialogue of this game is interesting but can be confusing. The main menu music is so creepy, and nice. Playing this game i could feel that the ideal way to play this is on the WiiU, but this port is an alright demo of a pretty cool game.
(3/5)

28: ONRUSH - 3/5 - Solid "bash 'em up" racing game, frantically mad online battles, mired only by a sometimes bad online connection/luck based final achievement.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/52-games-1-year-2018.1460268/#post-253148892

I really wanted to beat this challenge this year, but after the football world cup and the RLCS setting me back a month, and now starting a master's degree and writing course content for my university job, I don't think I'll get there on time.

Next year, Gadget, next year.

Still, I'll try to finish off the year with some solid titles. This year I've played a lot of "walking sims" and found I love them. Maybe I might try to finish off some Telltale games in celebration of their career.

This is one of my favourite threads on NeoGAF and I hope someone starts it up next year. I'm not part of any community thread, but I love taking part in this one and reading what you're all up to.

Last edited:

BurstZyn

44. Zombi (PS4): Next game in the month of Shocktober; This game is not a perfect 5/5, but its also even less than perfect making it not even a 4/5. There are so many bugs and a good amount being nearly game breaking. Which is unfortunate because this game is awesome, it has the pre-Salt and Sanctuary idea of losing items upon death, so now kill your previous character to get those ideas back. The dialogue of this game is interesting but can be confusing. The main menu music is so creepy, and nice. Playing this game i could feel that the ideal way to play this is on the WiiU, but this port is an alright demo of a pretty cool game.
(3/5)
45. The Evil Within (Xbox 360): 3rd game as part of this personal festive month of horror everything. I played this game about 3 years ago with an old friend and stopped around chapter 12, and came back to it not to long ago. So this review may not be to accurate, but shall be written anyway. I remember playing this game and thinking that it had a strong start and kept its survival horror personality for a good amount of chapters. The game starts with a pretty boring generic character that seems to have lil to no emotion, unless the read the lil files around the game. I honestly thought i was reading about some one else's life every now and then, because it just didn't fit this cardboard of a character that is Sebastian Castellanos. Anyways this game has a great art-style and aesthetic throughout the entire game, having an awesome main menu and amazing loading screens with the game having kinda generic monsters, but cool bosses, that have a cool meaning behind them. Starting out as a great stealthy survival horror it apparently overstays it welcomes as the game decides to kick into high gear as this ridiculous action game, mowing down people and running through the city on still the little amount of ammo you're given, and then dropping into the third act of just being a stealth game with no more horror. The music of the game is nothing to write home about and the story of the story feels at points confusing and hammered to the point to where you make sure you know who the boring main villain is. The main thing i had against this game is that its too long and it just feels that it drags on in the end, not really making the ending satisfying. But the thing about is that it had so much potential, and unfortunately it felt kinda shaped into a game that was alright-good at best. Here's to hoping that the sequel took the amazing things from this game and shaped an even better one.
(4/5)

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
2t2foRW.png

3h-ish. All chapters plus Epilogue.

This game offers some pretty great "room escape" like puzzles, with mechanics that are perfect for mobile and other touchscreens, hindered by a not-so-compelling setting (No plot, no problem!). Still, pretty great gameplay for the price.

OvidTaS.png

5h-ish. Be aware, the night is dark and full of spoilers.

After I abandoned Reigns: Her Majesty, which left me bored to no end, I was wary of purchasing Reigns GOT, but I really enjoyed the way the devs handled the challenge of writing a satisfactory ending to a story that is still ongoing. And not only one, but nine of them. Some of the "what if" endings could very well fit into the real story, including Daenerys' (the fan favourite "Tyrion the secret Targaryen" twist) Tyrion's creative use of wildfire or Jon discovering how to forge valyrian steel. Though my favourite is Jaime's pretending to be the Azor Ahai to unite the people, something that was really well intertwined with existing lore.

If anything's bad about the game, is the proper and final conclusion, which is kinda weak, and the fact that the balance meters don't work as well as in previous games (even though the fact that every character is immune to one of them is kinda cool) and you kind of get tired of dying for basically no reason. But then again, this IS Game of Thrones...

OH8YyBu.png

4h-ish.

Gimmicky game is gimmicky. This game doesn't know what it wants to be (a JRPG, an action RPG, even a Diablo-style hack-and-slash near the end) but it knows what it wants to do, and it does it pretty well. Still, I sense a lot of wasted potential - Gotta check Evoland 2, which is apparently 5x longer, to see if I'm in the right.

Original Post

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
xsmnlKT.png

17:32h. 74.9% of the game completed. Expect spoilers, pardner.

I remember people saying RDR was a departure from Rockstar's usual fare, but after playing through the game I think RDR is the perfect representation of Rockstar's whole history, told in three acts. Firstly, the New Austin act is full of light-hearted, darkly humorous action, peppered with crazy people like West Dickens and Seth, who give you fun, rompy tasks like helping sell snake oil and duel a movie star that went crazy and now believes he's a real gunslinger, Don Quijote style. John is the straight man to those NPCs, always serious and businesslike when confronted with all the madness. A lot like Rockstar's old games, really.

Then you get to Nuevo Paraiso and the humor sort of... peters away and things stop being funny quite soon. The game becomes gritty and bloody(er) and the NPCs you find are mostly jerks that use you one way or the other. You find constant references to rape, prostitution, slavery and other unsavoury stuff. John's stoicism makes he look less like a straight man and more like the uncaring, egotistical asshole he actually is. And it's hard to fault him when everyone around him is either a monster, a monster-in-training, or dead. This is in line with the later 3D Games of the PS2 era.

And everything goes to hell in West Elizabeth, when things become neither funny, nor gritty - simply depressing and subdued, like it's become aware of its own crapsack world. The quest givers are hateful sociopaths, the environment is sad, wet and grey (or snowy) instead of the toasty aridness of the previous two chapters, the quests are highly emotional story-driven affairs masking as simple shootouts, and then you get the epilogue, trying (and failing) to give you a sense of security before shoving you in front of a metaphorical train and ending your game with a bitter aftertaste. This is current-day Rockstar, beggining with GTAIV.

So, after all this pathos, you might be wondering - is this eight-year-old game good enough to revisit today? Yes, yes it is. The gameplay is extremely satisfying (though not exempt of issues, mainly with the controls - always Rockstar's achilles' heel) and the game world and the plot are rich, engaging and fun. Also, if you're planning on playing RDR2 any time now, do yourself a favor and play RDR first so you can get acquainted with a lot of the names you will encounter in the new game.

My Score: ★★★★

Original Post

Last edited:
Main Post

48. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3) - 8/10 Really enjoyed this follow-up to the original trilogy. Wish more games would be made. Small issues aside, it is a lot of fun.
49. Metal Gear Solid (PS3) - 9/10 Still one of the best. Controls took a little getting used to again but then it's basically a boss rush game. As a kid I remember having to be sneaky, but now it's almost like there is no sneaking at all.
50. Alan Wake (Xbox 360) - 7/10 Thought I would enjoy this more. Enemies became boring and the game felt overlong.
51. Sam & Max: Hit the Road (PC) - 9/10 Still holds up. Fun, funny and insane. I remembered most of what to do until the very end. Took me a little longer than it should have.
52. Final Fantasy IV (PSTV) - 9/10 Wanted to end the 52 goal with a big one in my backlog. I am chipping away at all of the Final Fantasy games and this one I started and stopped. Ended up really enjoying it. It wasn't too difficult outside of a few areas. Slyph Cave and the final boss being the toughest for me.

Didn't think I would make it but here I am with 2 months to spare! Now to play cleanup on some of my backlog. Might play my VR some more.

tschep2

Neo Member
38. Death Squared: 8/10, finished 09/10/18
A random, fun little puzzle game that my girlfriend and I played through one night. It was challenging and frustrating at times, but after about 6 hours and some change we finally got it down. Aesthetically it sort of reminded me of Portal, and the writing and voice acting were in my wheelhouse of humor. Overall a very solid game.

39. Fire Emblem Fates (Valla Path): 7/10, finished 09/11/18
This was a bit of a disjointed playthrough. I played Birthright and Conquest both when they came out and then I got about halfway through this Revelations playthrough before dropping it back in 2016. I think I was just a bit burned out at the time, but now 2 years later I knocked the remainder of the game out pretty quickly. I think Fates was really strong in its gameplay and difficulty, and a lot of the changes to existing systems like the weapon triangle (weapon colors and daggers) were all very good with a special shout out to unlimited durability on weapons. The writing and characters were a bit subpar, however, and I didn't much care for a lot of the cast, with a few exceptions. Fire Emblem is one of my favorite series' and I'm really excited for Three Houses and hope it will exceed expectations!

40. Dead Cells: 10/10, finished 09/13/18
Just want to preface that I did not do everything in this game and I am not personally "done" with it yet, but I guess I did finally have one good run where the stars aligned and I managed to get through the final boss. So while there is more to do, I have seen all the biomes and all the bosses the game has to offer. Now then: holy moly what a fantastic game. I started it on my plane ride to Seattle for PAX and the game had engrossed me completely that the flight was over before I knew it. It was just the type of game I was looking for to play at that time, something easy to pick up and play to help kill boredom while waiting in line at the convention - and my god did it deliver. Between this and Octopath my lines felt nonexistent. The gameplay was great, the writing was funnier than I expected, the bosses were tough, and the deaths were plenty. I think it took about 50-60 runs just to finally get to the last boss and then a few more after that before I finally beat it. I admit after beating the final boss I haven't given it AS much time as I did before that, but I can tell this will be a great game to come back to randomly and do a few runs in the future, maybe experiment with some different builds.

41. Devil May Cry 2: finished 09/20/18
The only game in the series I haven't played, I figured I would check it out seeing as it is the last game chronologically before DMC5 comes out. I would describe this game with a Simpsons awkward collar tug. I now understand the hatred for this game. The combo system is trash, the lack of devil arms is annoying, the guns are way too strong and I feel like most bosses were designed around you just standing there and holding square until they die. Seriously, why are the guns so strong!? Also a lot of the bosses in this game lacked so much personality that even the first game had, like the retort between Dante and the demon before the fight. This was sorely missed all game, though I guess it is kind of hard to talk to a helicopter isn't it? It isn't entirely horrible I suppose, though. I like some enemy and level designs, Dante and Lucia are alright. But that's about all the good I can say about it. I genuinely don't think this game's events will have any impact on DMC5's narrative, making the 6 hours I spent with it feel that much worse.

42. Devil May Cry 3: 10/10, finished 09/26/18
To close off the month and more importantly to cleanse the palette off of DMC2 I gave 3 a good replay, since I had the HD collection installed anyway. My favorite game in the series. Don't really have much to say. If you like stylish action games like Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising, you owe it to yourself to play this game if you haven't already.

43. Octopath Traveler: 4/10, finished 09/30/18
It pains me to my core to review this game as such. This game is such a technical and visual masterpiece that feeling the way I do about it feels so wrong. I spent about 115 hours in this game's world doing all the characters' stories, doing all the side quests, optional dungeons, you name it. I scraped every bit of content I could get all for it to feel so lifeless and pointless by the end of the final dungeon. The writing, acting, world building in this game felt so contrived and poor that I could not even force myself to care about anything that was happening. There are some cool, subtle connections between each characters’ stories that occur late game - but by that point you’re already ~50 hours into the game and it makes you wonder why this type of stuff wasn’t present since the beginning. Any enjoyment I had with this game was of my own volition, like mix and matching character jobs to find new ways to break the game's combat. All super fun, but I'd say a far cry from what the intended feeling should be when playing the game. Don't get me wrong, creating your own fun in a game is not a bad thing but in an RPG with stories written for my consumption rather than me creating my own, I didn’t like what I got. Sitting on the game's finale for a month - while admittedly one of the better parts of the game - I can't help but feel like it was a bit of a waste of 115 hours.

44. The Messenger: 7/10, finished 10/03/18
I really enjoyed playing through this one, even if it did get start to get a bit stale towards the end. I definitely feel like the game could have done with like 5ish less hours altogether, but I did end up 100%ing it, so your mileage may vary. Regardless, what was presented was amazing. Mechanically the game was tight and the concepts introduced a few hours in were so unique and amazing that I struggle to think of another game that compares to this. The enemies were less of a challenge and more a nuisance, especially with such little variety that by the 10th hour I just started to ignore them as I traversed through the areas. The bosses on the other hand were a very nice balance of challenging and fun that I wish the game had more. I fell in love with the music from moment 1 of booting the game and have incessantly been listening to the OST since completing it. I also really enjoyed the writing and dialogue in this game, it was funny but also serious when it needed to be and it felt pretty organic, I'd say.

45. Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner MVRS Edition: 5/10, finished 10/04/18
Another huge bummer for me this month. I have been wanting to play ZoE for years because I’ve always heard how awesome it was. Well, just my luck that they would release a PS4 remake! Or so I thought. On the surface it is everything I love. Quick and dynamic action, cool mechs, a cool futuristic story. It should have been a slam dunk. However this disorienting, clunky mess of a game hardly let me keep up with its sheer madness. I am fully willing (and hoping) to accept that I just played the game poorly, but my god I could barely comprehend what was happening on screen half of the time. The camera was way too aggressive and it didn’t help me in any way and more often than not just disoriented me both in game and in real life. The sword swings felt a bit floaty, the guns and missiles were okay but it was so underwhelming to just sit there and hold square which made it hard to gauge what was actually hitting, what was missing, and how much damage it was actually doing. A lot of the techs you get later in game were cool. It felt like such a weird disconnect to be playing one of my most anticipated games of the previous years only to be disappointed so hard. More parts I wish the game were like: the giant battle towards the end which ironically had some of the best camera control in the game. The mission where you had to destroy the three large ships. The boss battle with Inhert. These three moments are where I can truly say I was having fun with the game.

46. Spider-Man PS4: 9/10, finished 10/10/18
Fantastic spider-man game. Everything’s already been said with this one so I won’t rehash a lot of the same sentiments other than they all absolutely hold true. If you like a good, clean, simple action game with some of the best area traversal mechanics in anything ever - play this. I really appreciated this game's brevity and how well it told its story with the time it had. An instant classic.

47. Layers of Fear: 7/10, finished 10/13/18
A really cool horror game that has been sitting in my library for over a year, I decided to kick off some spooky games this month with a nice quiet evening in and this game. Layers of Fear definitely delivered on its creepiness, not with many jump scares but with an awesome atmosphere and some trippy and disturbing imagery. Nothing too much more to add, really. The game was about what I expected from what I’ve heard. I'm looking forward to playing the dlc.

48. Evil Within 2: 8/10, finished 10/28/18
An impressive and improved sequel to the first Evil Within game, which I did still enjoy, Evil Within 2 scratched that itch of survival horror that I was craving. The change to the game’s structure did so many favors in my opinion as I was immediately littered with choices upon entering Union for the first time, which led to some very fun and frightening encounters pretty early on while I was still getting the grasp of things. I'd say the game's first arc and last arc were very strong, and the middle portion of the game was pretty boring. I didn't much care for villain 2 or that entire plot line, despite their boss fight being one of the best in the game. I'm very happy I played this game, though I wish I played it sooner.

49. Bendy and the Ink Machine: 6/10, finished 10/29/18
Finally to cap of the month, the last chapter conveniently came out on the 26th allowing me to finish this episodic series. Aside from a nasty bug denying me access to the final chapter on the game's title screen, I think the game ended pretty well! I played the first four chapters a few weeks ago and I vary my opinions of it chapter-to-chapter, but overall I feel pretty good about the entire package. It has a really cool art style that I personally loved. The translation of a 2D cartoon into a 3D model worked for this game's aesthetic and tone very well. By chapter 2-3 I found myself less scared and more annoyed by some of the game's "stealth" sequences as it didn't feel too threatening to lose, making them seem like artificial ways to make the game longer. It's not too detrimental to the game's success, I mean a lot of games do it, but I just wish there was more of a threat to the fail state. Regardless, I don't regret playing it all and it was a nice short horror game look at for a few hours. I would recommend it.

Helios

Let's see if I can do it in half a year. Probably not, especially if I keep playing 50h RPGs
1: Planescape Torment - Took me way too much to get into this game. A master piece in almost every sense and an all-time favorite.

2: Mass Effect: Enjoyed it a lot. I felt like the loot system was really boring and the combat felt clunky but the story and characters made up for it.

3: Mass Effect 2: The story took a big detour, they striped all the RPG elements and instead chose to focus on the TPS aspect. Unfortunately there were so few weapons that it got boring by the end. I have no idea what they thought with the scanning "mini-game" Really interesting characters though. I'd rate it lower than ME1 but it's still up there.

4: Risk of Rain: Sort of. The game is a rogue-lite so it doesn't really have an ending. But I unlocked all the character, beat the final boss multiple times and completed every Steam Achievement (almost). The game is extremely fun, I just wish it had dedicated server. Connecting through a port is a pain in the ass. I can't wait for the sequel
5 La Mulana: Amazing game. I really liked the whole story and how it was presented not only through text but also through puzzles. Some of the puzzle are a bit too cryptic to the point where I don't even know how some people found out the solutions.
6 Torchlight 2: Never been able to finish the first one because of how tedious it becomes but this one was great. The mods add a lot of replayablity.
7 The Witcher 1: The game has a lot of flaws like the awkward writing at times and tedious combat. But the RPG elements , the atmosphere and most of the writing are all there and I loved it. I might replay it soon on hard because I loved the idea of preparing for battle and having potions/oils specific to certain monsters(Like black blood for everything that likes to suck you)
8 Slay the Spire: Every time I feel like I'm done with this game I keep coming back to it. The replayablity is there, especially with how different all the classes can be built but I really hope they add a new floor and bosses in the future.

BurstZyn

45. The Evil Within (Xbox 360): 3rd game as part of this personal festive month of horror everything. I played this game about 3 years ago with an old friend and stopped around chapter 12, and came back to it not to long ago. So this review may not be to accurate, but shall be written anyway. I remember playing this game and thinking that it had a strong start and kept its survival horror personality for a good amount of chapters. The game starts with a pretty boring generic character that seems to have lil to no emotion, unless the read the lil files around the game. I honestly thought i was reading about some one else's life every now and then, because it just didn't fit this cardboard of a character that is Sebastian Castellanos. Anyways this game has a great art-style and aesthetic throughout the entire game, having an awesome main menu and amazing loading screens with the game having kinda generic monsters, but cool bosses, that have a cool meaning behind them. Starting out as a great stealthy survival horror it apparently overstays it welcomes as the game decides to kick into high gear as this ridiculous action game, mowing down people and running through the city on still the little amount of ammo you're given, and then dropping into the third act of just being a stealth game with no more horror. The music of the game is nothing to write home about and the story of the story feels at points confusing and hammered to the point to where you make sure you know who the boring main villain is. The main thing i had against this game is that its too long and it just feels that it drags on in the end, not really making the ending satisfying. But the thing about is that it had so much potential, and unfortunately it felt kinda shaped into a game that was alright-good at best. Here's to hoping that the sequel took the amazing things from this game and shaped an even better one.
(4/5)
46. Condemned: Criminal Origins (Xbox 360): 4th game of shocktober, while not very scary it is still quite part of the thriller genre. And i love the concept of instead of monsters, you're fighting criminals and drug addicts that just seem so far gone they might as well be monsters. Using everything as a weapon, going from desk boards to sledgehammers, and the occasional gun really adds a good amount of fun and variety to the combat in this game. but while that is fun and all, the combat is pretty janky and feels unfair at points to where i couldnt really tell what killed me. The story is ok, and gets weird and supernatural at the end, which i feel the story could have done without. The voice ating was not very good, but was not terrible. The investigations segments of the game are awesome, but it felt very limited being that you can only activate it during parts of the game. I was able to beat this like 2-3 days before Halloween so i wanna go ahead and sneak 1 more shocktober game into my backlog before I'm done.
(3/5)

BurstZyn

46. Condemned: Criminal Origins (Xbox 360): 4th game of shocktober, while not very scary it is still quite part of the thriller genre. And i love the concept of instead of monsters, you're fighting criminals and drug addicts that just seem so far gone they might as well be monsters. Using everything as a weapon, going from desk boards to sledgehammers, and the occasional gun really adds a good amount of fun and variety to the combat in this game. but while that is fun and all, the combat is pretty janky and feels unfair at points to where i couldnt really tell what killed me. The story is ok, and gets weird and supernatural at the end, which i feel the story could have done without. The voice ating was not very good, but was not terrible. The investigations segments of the game are awesome, but it felt very limited being that you can only activate it during parts of the game. I was able to beat this like 2-3 days before Halloween so i wanna go ahead and sneak 1 more shocktober game into my backlog before I'm done.
(3/5)
47. Alien Isolation (PS4): 5th and last game of shocktober that i squeezed in at last minute, and i feel that its a strong one to end on.

BurstZyn

47. Alien Isolation (PS4): 5th and last game of shocktober that i squeezed in at last minute, and i feel that its a strong one to end on.
47. Alien Isolation (PS4): 5th and last game of shocktober that i squeezed in at last minute, and i feel that its a strong one to end on. This game is probably one of my favorite survival horror games, doing basically everything right for horror fans and especially Alien fans, as I am of the first 3. The moments and the design just reeks fan service of immaculate design, and i love it, containing probably one of my favorites moments in gaming. The game still looks amazing and the audio design is awesome. This game also proved me wrong in that horror games shouldn't be around this length, because it felt like this kept the pace goin strong in every mission and intense around every turn. The only complaint is that i felt the last ending scene was a lil weak, but not bad.
(5/5)

BurstZyn

47. Alien Isolation (PS4): 5th and last game of shocktober that i squeezed in at last minute, and i feel that its a strong one to end on. This game is probably one of my favorite survival horror games, doing basically everything right for horror fans and especially Alien fans, as I am of the first 3. The moments and the design just reeks fan service of immaculate design, and i love it, containing probably one of my favorites moments in gaming. The game still looks amazing and the audio design is awesome. This game also proved me wrong in that horror games shouldn't be around this length, because it felt like this kept the pace goin strong in every mission and intense around every turn. The only complaint is that i felt the last ending scene was a lil weak, but not bad.
(5/5)
48. Burly Men At Sea (PS4): Fun lil interactive story. I was able to collect one story, and may go back for more. But that's all to say it about it, not much else.
(3/5)

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
Rl7GZ5I.png

3h-ish. 100% completion.

I remember a game I played last year called Bad End - sorry, BAD END. I remember it distinctly because I generally think I get my money worth's from most games, even bad ones, but with this one I felt simply ripped off. And it costed me a single euro.

Mysterious Forum is something like the good twin of this game. Both are horror VNs, and the premise is very similar - a digital medium is causing deaths among the youth in a Japanese community, and a group of two girls and a boy decide to investigate, putting themselves in danger in the way. Even the way the game develops is similar: the story is linear, and the choices either allow you to continue the story or direct you to an immediate, usually gruesome dead end. So, what makes this better than BAD END? Well...

- Instead of a crybaby doormat, a jealous bitch and a dumb asshole, the protagonist trio are actually likeable, friendly people.
- The art has a distinct personality, a bit reminiscent of games like Danganronpa, instead of being Generic Visual Novel fare.
- The twist isn't dumb as hell.
- The game is twice as long, and better structured, with a flowchart, and even extras like an omake.
- It's free.

Now, manage your expectations: this is a free game made by what's likely to be two people in a garage. Steins;Gate it ain't. The translation is ok at its best (you know that specific kind of translation that screams "Asian person with a really great grasp of English, BUT..."? That's the one) and iffy at its worst. The plot is predictable and the scares are not very scary. But it's worth your time if you like the genre.

Original Post

Last edited:
Main Post

53. Skylar & Plux: Adventure on Clover Island (PS4) - 6/10 Just a completely average game. I really just wanted to scratch the platformer itch and knew this game was on the short side. I didn't think it would be this simplistic of a game. If they make a sequel, I would love to see them expand further. Everything just felt phoned in. It's fairly linear and small.

54. Robinson: The Journey (PSVR) - 7/10 I bought this back when I first got my VR but I always got stuck at the beginning. The game does not do a great job of telling you what to do. I had to mess with many things until I kind of understood how the game needed to be played. I had fun with it and there were moments where I was wow'd. The end game is a little frustrating, especially when you have no clue where to go. Overall pretty fun but very short.

55. The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES) - 8/10 As a kid, I never made it out of the first palace. I knew I wanted to beat this game one day...and slowly working through many of my favorite series, this was one that I had to get through. This game is HARD AS HELL but it is really rewarding. I hate hearing every hard game compared to "dark souls" but this really does feel like Dark Souls before , well, Dark Souls. As much as I love the OG Zelda, and it's still the better game, this one definitely made me feel like I was on a true adventure. Everything was life and death and it was a really unique experience. I really recommend going through it but it will really challenge you... especially the final palace and bosses.

Last edited:

BurstZyn

48. Burly Men At Sea (PS4): Fun lil interactive story. I was able to collect one story, and may go back for more. But that's all to say it about it, not much else.
(3/5)
49. Mad Max (PS4): I'm going into this saying that I love the Mad Max series, and that this game captures what i love about those movies. The nitro speed of the races, the bad ass combat moves, and the destruction of the wasteland. The wasteland is beautiful crawling with dangerous war boys, barely surviving scavengers, and much more. The combat is pretty simple AssCreed/Arkham style, but feels so intense and strong with moves such as blasting someone in the gut with your shotgun to intimidate enemies and ending with bad ass suplexes. Destroying nearly everything in your way with harpoons, your trusty boom-stick, thunderpoons, etc. Now i really wanted to give this game a 4/5, maybe even a 5/5, but there is to much to keep me from doing so. This game has bugs, some minor like the pause menu being broken at times, but some that are very much game breaking. Bugs such as enemy A.I. stopping progression by not doing what they are supposed to do, Threat levels not going down when conditions are and the game must be restarted, and trophy blocking bugs such as balloons being stuck on non-real rope and wont ascend. so unfortunately with all these negatives I'm just gonna stick with a
3/5

BurstZyn

49. Mad Max (PS4): I'm going into this saying that I love the Mad Max series, and that this game captures what i love about those movies. The nitro speed of the races, the bad ass combat moves, and the destruction of the wasteland. The wasteland is beautiful crawling with dangerous war boys, barely surviving scavengers, and much more. The combat is pretty simple AssCreed/Arkham style, but feels so intense and strong with moves such as blasting someone in the gut with your shotgun to intimidate enemies and ending with bad ass suplexes. Destroying nearly everything in your way with harpoons, your trusty boom-stick, thunderpoons, etc. Now i really wanted to give this game a 4/5, maybe even a 5/5, but there is to much to keep me from doing so. This game has bugs, some minor like the pause menu being broken at times, but some that are very much game breaking. Bugs such as enemy A.I. stopping progression by not doing what they are supposed to do, Threat levels not going down when conditions are and the game must be restarted, and trophy blocking bugs such as balloons being stuck on non-real rope and wont ascend. so unfortunately with all these negatives I'm just gonna stick with a
3/5
50. Valkyria Chronicles Remastered: Enter The Edy Detachment (PS4): Decided to come back to this game and finish up the side stories, and totally forgot that this game had DLC, so i decided to finish up this 2-in-1 rather challenging mission that took me a couple tries because people kept bum rushing into my base, but i managed to prevail with an A actually, so i was able to see apparently what was the best, which was hilarious. While a pretty short lived DLC, it was fun and challenge worthy.
(4/5)
51. OxenFree (Xbox One): So i probably should have saved this game for shocktober, because it has given me more chills and goosebumps than any game i have played yet. Everything from the story, to the sound design is creepy and unsettling to where i felt nervous to the choices i would make. The music and the art style for this game is awesome. The mechanics of this game were so perfectly creepy, from the looping, to the radio just simply picking up white noise and old radio stations. The dialogue for this game is excellent, the characters are likable in some sense to where i at least tried to save them all, while some tend to be a lil annoying or bitchy. This game is terribly underrated, where i didn't even know what it was before i played it, and I'm more than likely to play it over again.
(5/5)

29: Monument Valley - 3/5 - Monuments of masculine toxicity, valleys of feminine repression, would have been better with a joystick in my naughty man hands.

Also, what's the point of Google Play achievements if I can't do anything with them? Long Live Console Gaming and the e-peen crown.

Edit: *sends this review off to Eurogamer, Kotaku, et al, for publication.

Last edited:

BurstZyn

50. Valkyria Chronicles Remastered: Enter The Edy Detachment (PS4): Decided to come back to this game and finish up the side stories, and totally forgot that this game had DLC, so i decided to finish up this 2-in-1 rather challenging mission that took me a couple tries because people kept bum rushing into my base, but i managed to prevail with an A actually, so i was able to see apparently what was the best, which was hilarious. While a pretty short lived DLC, it was fun and challenge worthy.
(4/5)
51. OxenFree (Xbox One): So i probably should have saved this game for shocktober, because it has given me more chills and goosebumps than any game i have played yet. Everything from the story, to the sound design is creepy and unsettling to where i felt nervous to the choices i would make. The music and the art style for this game is awesome. The mechanics of this game were so perfectly creepy, from the looping, to the radio just simply picking up white noise and old radio stations. The dialogue for this game is excellent, the characters are likable in some sense to where i at least tried to save them all, while some tend to be a lil annoying or bitchy. This game is terribly underrated, where i didn't even know what it was before i played it, and I'm more than likely to play it over again.
(5/5)
52. Prison Architect: Xbox One Edition (Xbox One): Well I finished my goal of 52 games/DLC expansions of the year, and it was unfortunate to end on this note. I dont know if its just Xbone version of this game, but it was filled with nothing but bugs and basically progression stopping ones. Which is unfortunate because this game has some potential but its definetly better played on PC Im assuming. The analog sticks feel weird and uncomfortable for this game, so better played with a mouse and keyboard. Besides all the shit, the game is cool with its kinda surprising dark tones and fun management systems. worth checking on PC.
(2/5)

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
wMt7JaN.png

41:53h. 83% completion. Ending "Dream no More". Expect spoilers.

At 36, my reflexes aren't what they used to be, so lately I tend to prefer easier, slower-paced games. I enjoy a lengthy Dragon Quest or a twitchy shooter from time to time, but metroidvanias are a favourite treat of mine: their difficulty is usually rooted in precise platforming, something I'm still good at. I loved Ori not only because of the whimsical setting, but also because of those platforming sections. Seeing Hollow Knight was similarly beloved by the community, I thought it would be that sort of game.

Boy. The best way to describe Hollow Knight is a 2D Dark Souls. It's bleak, unforgiving and macabre. You're dropped in Dirtmouth without an explanation, a clue or even a map, and you're hinted to "go deeper". The world is dying, everyone around you is dying, and you will die too. A whole lot.

Platforming and exploration are the main facets of gameplay (and believe me, the game world is much bigger than you expect) but the real meat of the game is in the combat with the many, varied bosses. Some of them are easy-ish, most of them are challenging, some of them are implacable. Many are memorable, thanks in part to the fantastic music. You will find many brick walls, and finally overcoming them will be extremely cathartic. I actually let out a yelp when I finally beat the true final boss and I got chided by my wife who thought I was having some sort of heart attack.

And the more you play, the more you realize this is, like Ori, a very, very sad game. And unlike Ori, it doesn't get better. Even the best of endings is bittersweet at best. But, on some way... it fits. Like GRRM once said, "If you're expecting a happy ending, you've not been paying attention". Hollow Knight is a grim tale, and one of the best games of 2017 too.

My Score: ✪✪✪✪✪

Original Post

Last edited:

BurstZyn

52. Prison Architect: Xbox One Edition (Xbox One): Well I finished my goal of 52 games/DLC expansions of the year, and it was unfortunate to end on this note. I dont know if its just Xbone version of this game, but it was filled with nothing but bugs and basically progression stopping ones. Which is unfortunate because this game has some potential but its definetly better played on PC Im assuming. The analog sticks feel weird and uncomfortable for this game, so better played with a mouse and keyboard. Besides all the shit, the game is cool with its kinda surprising dark tones and fun management systems. worth checking on PC.
(2/5)
53. Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (PS4): Ima go ahead and pseudo count this one, since i have beaten this one on OG PS2, but this "Remix" version of the game does include some new content such as new cutscenes, weapons, abilities, enemies, and even a new boss that was pretty fun. So I feel like that's enough to count as at least an expansion of the game, and honestly makes it the best version of the game. Still a classic, such a wave of nostalgia hit me playing through this, nearly shed a tear at the end. The only thing that made this game more annoying than the original was the grind for the Ultima Keyblade. But nevertheless, this game makes me highly anticipated for the new one coming out in just a few months.
(5/5)

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
xQLzl8V.png

2h-ish.

I know this game has received lots of love, and I can sort of see why. It's very artsy, and very clever. It's sometimes reminiscent of larger games like Fez or RIME, which is something that every indie puzzle game should aspire to. The art of this game, both music, design and graphics, is simply spotless.

It's also very easy, very very short, and does a really poor job of making us care for its character(s). If you can get it for cheap, go for it, as it's a treat to play, but it's not worth what they ask for when it's not on sale.

Original Post

Last edited:
Main Post

56. Burly Men at Sea (PS4) - 7/10 Only started this up because Battlefront II was taking awhile to install. I ended up liking this one. Fun and simplistic. I ended up getting the platinum which exposed more of the flaws in the game. It is very repetitive. Still...unique and interesting. Check it out.

57. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - 9/10 Still a blast after all these years. This has always been my favorite Sonic, but I also stopped playing them for years after this one. Curious to see how Sonic 3 and others will rank against this.

58. Pokemon Yellow (3DS) - 9/10 Had a lot of fun going through this one. I feel that it holds up pretty well for the most part. There are definitely some annoyances in it and it can be simple at times, but it still has so much charm.

59. Star Wars: Battlefront II (PS4) - 6/10 Didn't think I would dislike the game this much. I hated the main character and the story was a complete mess. As much as I wanted a campaign added....I think they should've skipped it. It was a waste. The graphics/sound/music were perfection which makes this a harder pill to swallow. I played a bit of multiplayer but I mainly stick to SP stuff. What a disappointment.

BurstZyn

53. Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (PS4): Ima go ahead and pseudo count this one, since i have beaten this one on OG PS2, but this "Remix" version of the game does include some new content such as new cutscenes, weapons, abilities, enemies, and even a new boss that was pretty fun. So I feel like that's enough to count as at least an expansion of the game, and honestly makes it the best version of the game. Still a classic, such a wave of nostalgia hit me playing through this, nearly shed a tear at the end. The only thing that made this game more annoying than the original was the grind for the Ultima Keyblade. But nevertheless, this game makes me highly anticipated for the new one coming out in just a few months.
(5/5)
54. Dragon Ball FighterZ (PS4): So I remember posting about this game before it was announced being more than hyped about it. Got it day one and loved it, but it was sly of being perfect. Honestly i wanted more of what Hyper Dragon Ball Z was in the quality that FighterZ is in. But that doesn't make this game bad in anyway, it works amazingly, looks beautiful and probably lands in my top 10 fighting games. What I'm mostly reviewing tho, is the story mode of the game. Now Ima go ahead and say, you're more than likely to enjoy the story if you're a DB fan. I had a friend that's more than less than that, and he pretty just bum rushed the story skipping all the cutscenes after watching the less than interesting beginning premise of the game. Now as a fan myself, i found the story to be dumb fun with awesome lil extra fan service, such as everyone getting together (even the villains) just to shit on Yamcha. I grinded a good amount, for the extra scenes, levels, tried to guess the special battle links between characters and enjoyed them. The actual gameplay of the story tho, is similar to Dragon Ball Budokai 2 board game system, but not as enjoyable. I often found myself getting bored of the brain dead A.I. and would put the story with several months in between. But this doesn't the overall game itself, still awesome and i can only hope for more to come.
(4/5)

tschep2

Neo Member
43. Octopath Traveler: 4/10, finished 09/30/18
It pains me to my core to review this game as such. This game is such a technical and visual masterpiece that feeling the way I do about it feels so wrong. I spent about 115 hours in this game's world doing all the characters' stories, doing all the side quests, optional dungeons, you name it. I scraped every bit of content I could get all for it to feel so lifeless and pointless by the end of the final dungeon. The writing, acting, world building in this game felt so contrived and poor that I could not even force myself to care about anything that was happening. There are some cool, subtle connections between each characters’ stories that occur late game - but by that point you’re already ~50 hours into the game and it makes you wonder why this type of stuff wasn’t present since the beginning. Any enjoyment I had with this game was of my own volition, like mix and matching character jobs to find new ways to break the game's combat. All super fun, but I'd say a far cry from what the intended feeling should be when playing the game. Don't get me wrong, creating your own fun in a game is not a bad thing but in an RPG with stories written for my consumption rather than me creating my own, I didn’t like what I got. Sitting on the game's finale for a month - while admittedly one of the better parts of the game - I can't help but feel like it was a bit of a waste of 115 hours.

44. The Messenger: 7/10, finished 10/03/18
I really enjoyed playing through this one, even if it did get start to get a bit stale towards the end. I definitely feel like the game could have done with like 5ish less hours altogether, but I did end up 100%ing it, so your mileage may vary. Regardless, what was presented was amazing. Mechanically the game was tight and the concepts introduced a few hours in were so unique and amazing that I struggle to think of another game that compares to this. The enemies were less of a challenge and more a nuisance, especially with such little variety that by the 10th hour I just started to ignore them as I traversed through the areas. The bosses on the other hand were a very nice balance of challenging and fun that I wish the game had more. I fell in love with the music from moment 1 of booting the game and have incessantly been listening to the OST since completing it. I also really enjoyed the writing and dialogue in this game, it was funny but also serious when it needed to be and it felt pretty organic, I'd say.

45. Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner MVRS Edition: 5/10, finished 10/04/18
Another huge bummer for me this month. I have been wanting to play ZoE for years because I’ve always heard how awesome it was. Well, just my luck that they would release a PS4 remake! Or so I thought. On the surface it is everything I love. Quick and dynamic action, cool mechs, a cool futuristic story. It should have been a slam dunk. However this disorienting, clunky mess of a game hardly let me keep up with its sheer madness. I am fully willing (and hoping) to accept that I just played the game poorly, but my god I could barely comprehend what was happening on screen half of the time. The camera was way too aggressive and it didn’t help me in any way and more often than not just disoriented me both in game and in real life. The sword swings felt a bit floaty, the guns and missiles were okay but it was so underwhelming to just sit there and hold square which made it hard to gauge what was actually hitting, what was missing, and how much damage it was actually doing. A lot of the techs you get later in game were cool. It felt like such a weird disconnect to be playing one of my most anticipated games of the previous years only to be disappointed so hard. More parts I wish the game were like: the giant battle towards the end which ironically had some of the best camera control in the game. The mission where you had to destroy the three large ships. The boss battle with Inhert. These three moments are where I can truly say I was having fun with the game.

46. Spider-Man PS4: 9/10, finished 10/10/18
Fantastic spider-man game. Everything’s already been said with this one so I won’t rehash a lot of the same sentiments other than they all absolutely hold true. If you like a good, clean, simple action game with some of the best area traversal mechanics in anything ever - play this. I really appreciated this game's brevity and how well it told its story with the time it had. An instant classic.

47. Layers of Fear: 7/10, finished 10/13/18
A really cool horror game that has been sitting in my library for over a year, I decided to kick off some spooky games this month with a nice quiet evening in and this game. Layers of Fear definitely delivered on its creepiness, not with many jump scares but with an awesome atmosphere and some trippy and disturbing imagery. Nothing too much more to add, really. The game was about what I expected from what I’ve heard. I'm looking forward to playing the dlc.

48. Evil Within 2: 8/10, finished 10/28/18
An impressive and improved sequel to the first Evil Within game, which I did still enjoy, Evil Within 2 scratched that itch of survival horror that I was craving. The change to the game’s structure did so many favors in my opinion as I was immediately littered with choices upon entering Union for the first time, which led to some very fun and frightening encounters pretty early on while I was still getting the grasp of things. I'd say the game's first arc and last arc were very strong, and the middle portion of the game was pretty boring. I didn't much care for villain 2 or that entire plot line, despite their boss fight being one of the best in the game. I'm very happy I played this game, though I wish I played it sooner.

49. Bendy and the Ink Machine: 6/10, finished 10/29/18
Finally to cap of the month, the last chapter conveniently came out on the 26th allowing me to finish this episodic series. Aside from a nasty bug denying me access to the final chapter on the game's title screen, I think the game ended pretty well! I played the first four chapters a few weeks ago and I vary my opinions of it chapter-to-chapter, but overall I feel pretty good about the entire package. It has a really cool art style that I personally loved. The translation of a 2D cartoon into a 3D model worked for this game's aesthetic and tone very well. By chapter 2-3 I found myself less scared and more annoyed by some of the game's "stealth" sequences as it didn't feel too threatening to lose, making them seem like artificial ways to make the game longer. It's not too detrimental to the game's success, I mean a lot of games do it, but I just wish there was more of a threat to the fail state. Regardless, I don't regret playing it all and it was a nice short horror game look at for a few hours. I would recommend it.

50. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age: 10/10, finished 11/26/18
I haven't played any of the Dragon Quest games before. In the midst of my Octopath play through I decided to pick this one up on a whim to see what all the fuss was about, and I very quickly put it to the side because two turn-based games at the same time seemed a bit much. I picked it back up late last month and I've devoted close to every evening this month just getting lost in this game. I was completely blown away. I guess it's easier to list the things I wasn't too crazy about: #1 is definitely the music with a bullet. After the beautiful orchestration in the intro, the rest of the game's music is incredibly dull and by hour 80 it really started to be grating to the ears. My complaint isn't with the fact that it's chip tune because I know sampled instruments CAN sound good, but I just don't think this was a particularly good composition. It seemed so disjointed from the rest of the game and this is easily the thing I'm most salty about. The only other minor thing I lament in the game is the pep-up system. It's a bit of a vague system from the onset and the triggers for activating them are even more vague, until late game at least. It just seemed a little too random in my opinion and the only reason I mention it is because some side-quests involved two or more characters to perform a certain pep action in battle and trying to get all those characters to synchronize their peps was quite difficult at times. I think a generic bar akin to something like limit breaks would have saved a lot of frustration. Aside from these two points I have trouble finding much else that I didn't like about the game, and the good outweighs the bad by a large margin. I absolutely loved it to bits and as of now it's my GOTY. I'm not sure how it stands up to other DQ games for the long-time fans, but I'd love to check out some other games in the series in the future if anyone has any recommendations!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Seeing lots of people that have more than 52 games listed that haven't PM'd me yet to be included in the OP!

:messenger_winking:

Top Bottom