• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

55 days later, Arkham Knight PC is still hopelessly unplayable

Spaghetti

This is an edge case though. Pretty important specification.
yeah. it's warner brothers taking the pc market for granted (twice in a row no less), and getting blasted like they deserve.

i can't think of a really bad pc port i've played for a big game like this in years, if at all. you occasionally get a few weird ports coming out of japanese studios or old games coming to the pc for the first time, but for the most part they're perfectly fine.

it's definitely not an indication of the state of pc gaming, just shitty publisher actions.

They said August. They have till the 31st. I know it's probably not right but patience is the key here lol.

Seriously why is this thread a thing? We've known that they were going to be doing considerable work on the port and we shouldn't expect it to be fixed until August. It's still August. This thread shouldn't exist until September 1st at the earliest.

viHuGi

Banned
Shame on WB, played it on Ps4 and it´s flawless.

Love the game, 96% complete, amazing graphics :D

Lets hope a patch for the Pc version is coming soon.

I played on PC and got 100% and had very few problems aside from one physics glitch and occasional stutters. I'm really just pissed that I bought the Season Pass and I don't get to play anything because of how bad WB fucked up. First and last time I buy a season pass.

Sijil

Managed to lock it down to 30 most of the time, still stutters but it is playable. But I won't be playing it until it's patched up, still I have an excuse to replay all 3 previous Arkham titles, finished Asylum and City on GFWL but for some reason neither saves nor achievements transferred.

I ran the game on a 980gtx with 12 gigs of RAM on a i7 4770k and got pretty close to 60fps through the entire campaign on high quality. I must be an outlier, but I've really had no major issues.

Pudge

LOL. It's not his system. It's that the game is a busted pile of shit. I don't see how you can think otherwise after the company stops selling the product, and two months later we've had no updates as to when it might reappear

There is a difference between saying the game isn't functioning as intended and saying that it is completely unplayable. The company stopped selling the product because of both its obvious problems and the crazy backlash that they were trying to quell. If Steam Refunds weren't a thing, I have no doubt that they would have kept the product up for sale, because it does work for some people no matter how much people rage about it. There is plenty of evidence for this in the posts above me and elsewhere in this thread.

I'm sorry people couldn't play through the game, I hope they all got their refunds. I had a fine time on PC myself, so I can't agree that the game is an unbroken mess. It has graphical hiccups sure, especially if you try to turn the settings up, but if you tweak it in most cases, it runs. It doesn't run well, but you can play the game.

Seriously why is this thread a thing? We've known that they were going to be doing considerable work on the port and we shouldn't expect it to be fixed until August. It's still August. This thread shouldn't exist until September 1st at the earliest.

are you a robot

KingV

Could have been avoided by not buying day one or not pre ordering.
No sympathy from me.

One day there's going to be a game that causes catastrophic console failures with explosions that set several houses on fire killing entire families... And on GAF the defense force will be there saying 'this lawsuit is stupid. No sympathy, should've read reviews'

Wow. Went through it on PS4, loved it and have since moved on.

I almost started to question it for a while but It does pay to have a console to compliment your PC.

Sorry for those still waiting.

Banned
Didn't some insider say not to expect it to be fixed until the Fall? Which is technically late September.

Derp

Pretty sure you all had the opportunity to refund the game... No real reason to be mad at this point.

Speak with your wallets... Or something like that.

Spinluck

Eh, not worth the playthrough anyway, pretty game (although it's filtered and pretty cluttered visually).

Arkham City is where it peaked.

scoobs

I ran the game on a 980gtx with 12 gigs of RAM on a i7 4770k and got pretty close to 60fps through the entire campaign on high quality. I must be an outlier, but I've really had no major issues.

Mostly my experience with a similar setup. The FPS drops in the batmobile were annoying, and the game probably crashed 15-20 times, but it was fine outside of that. Pretty shitty, but such is the life of a PC gamer nowadays it seems

Pretty shitty, but such is the life of a PC gamer nowadays it seems

It really isn't. I play a lot of PC games day 1 and very few of them have significant issues. None of them have had the issues Arkham Knight had, it's an unprecedented situation.

Mostly my experience with a similar setup. The FPS drops in the batmobile were annoying, and the game probably crashed 15-20 times, but it was fine outside of that. Pretty shitty, but such is the life of a PC gamer nowadays it seems
If by nowadays you mean if you bought WB's shitty ports then yes.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Damn this post is crazy in so many ways. If drops below 10fps isn't unplayable then what is?
The batmobile sections suck ass anyway. The parts that are actually fun run reasonably well for me. But my rig is on the upper end of mid range and I have a Gsync monitor.

The performance isn't acceptable, but I still think "hopelessly unplayable" is an exaggeration.

At least we've been able to enjoy the Season Pass content in the meantime... oh wait.

Yeah, this game has been a real shitshow. They'll no doubt give everyone the Season Pass when they've finally delivered a working product, but hopefully they'll make it right for chumps like me who already bought it. I wouldn't say no to a free copy of Mad Max (assuming it works).

Backlogger

It doesn't run too bad on my PC minus the 30 FPS cap. I've only had once instance of stuttering and haven't had any issues with the textures not loading. It's playable for me but not perfect. I've been trying to not play it much waiting for better performance but it's getting hard to wait because I'm really enjoying it so far.

Dremorak

Banned
For what its worth, it ran fine on my gtx 680 :) So yeah its fucked for a lot of people, but I dont think you can say its universally broken when it isnt for a lot of people

jfoul

I guess I'll keep ignoring this game until it's patched, even though I have the base game & season pass. Luckily I have enough great games in my backlog to keep me busy for a decade. Hopefully for us it doesn't take WB that long to give us a complete game.

impact

Banned
The batmobile sections suck ass anyway. The parts that are actually fun run reasonably well for me. But my rig is on the upper end of mid range and I have a Gsync monitor.

The performance isn't acceptable, but I still think "hopelessly unplayable" is an exaggeration.

I'm gonna ask again, if drops below 10fps isn't unplayable then what the hell is? Does it have to hit 0fps ala Skyrim PS3 for you to admit it?

Here I was thinking The Witcher 3 PS4 was a garbage port for having 20fps locked in parts... lol

whats your excuse for a 780 with 8GB of ram then?

What? They don't make 780s with 8GB of VRAM and if you mean system RAM most people having issues are those with 8GB of RAM (and I was one) because the game will take up a shitton of it and with 8GB of RAM (or less) it dips into your page file like I already said and Gameworks makes it even worse, especially smoke, not sure if debris causes issues too but I've had them turned off for a while now.

I just tested it again with smoke and debris on along with AA which I also disabled before because it was useless shit after not having played the game in like a month. I'm using Windows 10 now and the smoke effect doesn't even seem to work but the problems (I'm willing to wager the Gameworks stuff almost certainly played a part in the memory leak issue). With everything on the game reached over 6GB of system memory with a 9.1GB commit (that I watched continue to rise as I played for all of maybe 10 minutes) and actually still managed to hit my page file despite my 16GB of system memory. I had moved the page file to my HDD after the W10 upgrade because it wasn't really being used anyway but since it went into my PF for 1.7GB of extra space it became stutter city as it had before when I tested and posted about all over the performance topic, it going into the PF wasn't really an issue on my SSD. The system usage is on top of nearly reaching 4GB VRAM usage before it crashed, this is at 1080p at the default 30FPS by the way. Obviously lowering the settings, what few there are, helps but regardless the game uses a ridiculous amount of RAM even with everything low/off at 720p, IIRC it required over 5GB when I tested that along with around 2.6GB of VRAM.

This isn't an excuse the game is in an absolute shit state that a lot of people have to manage to pretty much brute force to get playing reasonable and if you're saying it plays fine for you on a 780 with 8GB of RAM and you're using a regular HDD then you're one of the lucky ones to not have issues with the PC version.

Genio88

I actually played and finished it on PC at day one, it doesn't run perfectly but it was definitely playable and enjoyable from start to finish for me, everything on Ultra, Gameworks on, downsampled to 1440p at 30fps, just a bit of stuttering with batmobile from time to time. On i7 4770k OC and GTX 980 OC

Top Bottom