• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5pb - 'XBLA rejected Ketsui and Dodonpachi'

PolyGone

Banned
if only Nintendo was as strict...

DO-NOT-WANT.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm authentically angry about this. as opposed to internet angry. CAVE ACTUALLY CONSENTED TO XBLA PORTS OF NEWISH GAMES -- this could've meant cheap worldwide releases of all kinds of awesome stuff. and microsoft in their ignorance conflated ketsui with fucking frogger or smash tv or whatever, and shot it down to make room for...you know, i'm not even going to point out all the utter garbage on xbla; ketsui has a much better claim to be released than ikaruga, exelica, metal slug, etc., ALL OF WHICH ARE ALREADY AVAILABLE ELSEWHERE AHHHH WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES

Is it time to start a petition? :lol Seriously, email MS. There has to be enough people out there that would gladly pay for these games. I can see those games maybe getting published here eventually, though...it might take a year or two...

Enk

makes good threads.
Narag said:
No Samsho2 would really piss me off =\
Yeah, that game has pretty much become my most anticipated XBLA release. It's really silly to hear that arcade games don't have a place on XBox Live Arcade anymore.

dr3upmushroom said:
Do they say why PSN or Steam are out of the question?

Pretty much all of the 2D shooter releases out now and on the way have the 360 in mind and Steam? Steam?!

Fucking ridiculous. I could have had E FUCKING S FUCKING P FUCKING RA FUCKING DE ON MY FUCKING 360 but OH FUCKING WELL I GUESS.

Somebody update my avatar with a "RIP XBLA 2006-2008" or something.

Technosteve said:
So you guys enjoy bullet hell shootem ups? I liked Ikaruga cause the play mechanic was pretty awesome and i could beat the first two lvls. But i'm watching DoDonPachi Daioujou - Final Stage right now GAF must have eyesight like an eagle and reflexes of a cobra cause all i see myself doing is moving my arcade stick left to right while getting seizures

It's really not bad once you get into it, bullet hells for the most part are actually easier than shooters of the past.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Ignored.

I can see the 360 joining the Saturn and Dreamcast at the rate Microsoft is going...

So you guys enjoy bullet hell shootem ups? I liked Ikaruga cause the play mechanic was pretty awesome and i could beat the first two lvls. But i'm watching DoDonPachi Daioujou - Final Stage right now GAF must have eyesight like an eagle and reflexes of a cobra cause all i see myself doing is moving my arcade stick left to right while getting seizures

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Butane123 said:
Crap. I was looking forward to trying these games.

Kinda makes me wonder what else they have declined.

You know, I have always wondered about this myself. Anyway, things get very entertaining around here once the hyperbole flows.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Somebody's going to have to pull the covers off the download business in games and explain why it works the way it does, because this level of retardedly selective game approval (PSN and XBLA alike) seems to be playing to everything BUT what should be the strengths of a digital distribution medium and I just don't get it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
No PSN?! WTFFFFFFFFFF =(

Goddammit Sony, pimp your network out to people looking to do this!

GRAR! >=(

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I don't get it.

Perfect ports of quality arcade games >>>>>>>>>>> shitty original crap that is shitting up XBLA.

_Xenon_

Banned
What the fuck?

If MS want to control their quality and quantity of their XBLA library, why not take down those shitty games like Yaris?

Instead, they just reject awesome arcade ports while still keep those craps on LIVE ?

Mind am blown

_Xenon_ said:
What the fuck?

If MS want to control their quality and quantity of their XBLA library, why not take down those shitty games like Yaris?

Reject awesome arcade ports while still keep those craps on LIVE = mind am blown

it's not about either quality or quantity, just about money, whoever will sell the most or give the most money directly to microsoft wins

_Xenon_

Banned
God's Beard said:
it's not about either quality or quantity, just about money, whoever will sell the most or give the most money directly to microsoft wins
Then it's even more mind-blowing.

As long as they can make some $$$ from XBLA games no matter what, why even bother caring about if the game is good or not? Just put it on live for the fuck's sake. >:-(

God's Beard said:

Money and getting even with the competition.

If Bionic Commando Rearmed and SF2HD werent comming out on PS3/PC also, MS wouldent have let Capcom use the extra space.

Cave should teach them a lesson by also releasing them on PSN.

sp0rsk said:
So, do I buy the retail game to support Cave, or do I not buy it to show that Microsoft was wrong in denying it?

Decisions decisions.
MS wins either way (good retail sales will "really," as in sarcasm, show how wrong MS was forcing them from live, and live sales would just improve live), so whatever you do, it should be with intention of supporting cave.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Linkzg said:
Money and getting even with the competition.

If Bionic Commando Rearmed and SF2HD werent comming out on PS3/PC also, MS wouldent have let Capcom use the extra space.

Cave should teach them a lesson by also releasing them on PSN.

I still don't get this, with all of this discontent going around, one would think that the Playstation Network would be swelling up with new signees.

_Xenon_

Banned
Mefisutoferesu said:
MS wins either way (good retail sales will "really," as in sarcasm, show how wrong MS was forcing them from live, and live sales would just improve live), so whatever you do, it should be with intention of supporting cave.
Well, a retail game costs like 50+ bucks while a XLBA only costs like 8-10. Therefore I really doubt the sale of these arcade ports will sell. Maybe they can add some new feature or level in the game disk but the price difference is still there.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Way to shit on the support showed by Cave. If Cave stops supporting the 360 because of this, then thats one less reason to own a 360. Fucking retards.

harSon

Banned
I like Cave as much as the next guy but you people are delusional... Their products are not the most commercially successful games around :lol

Oh by the way this is 5pb...not Cave.
Here's the bulk of Cave's contribution to this:

5pb: Hey Cave we want to make some console ports of your games.
Cave: Uh..sure just as long as they're not current releases and you're willing to pay our fat licensing fees.
5pb: Sounds good.
Cave: alright

*end*

And then later on we have 5pb pissed off about Microsoft's shitty handling of XBLA.

5pb guy #1- So what do we do now that MS said no to us putting ports of awesome arcade games on XBLA?
5pb guy #2- Easy. We spend more money publishing retail releases of these games on the 360...that'll show 'em.
5pb guy #1- Makes sense.

duckroll

If this is really MS' policy, it makes a lot of sense. Raiden Fighters Aces has a total XBLA game interface. The menus, etc are almost exactly like a standard XBLA. Yet it's a retail product.

Dum dum dummmm

duckroll said:
If this is really MS' policy, it makes a lot of sense. Raiden Fighters Aces has a total XBLA game interface. The menus, etc are almost exactly like a standard XBLA. Yet it's a retail product.

Dum dum dummmm

That reminds me. Success did a fucking amazing job on RFA. Now to sacrifice a thousand horses for a US release. =(

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
duckroll said:

Dum dum dummmm

Well, I am glad something makes sense here, little else does.

duckroll said:
Gulti ported RFA, Success is just selling it.

Doh =/

Darkpen said:
so.... why not try PSN...? Or hell, maybe even integrate it into Home :O

Shard said it best. Sony rejected Cave shooters on PSN.

This gen makes very little sense to me. =/

drohne said:
afaik sony never had the opportunity to reject psn releases of cave shooters -- they discouraged arika from doing a ps3 version of ketsui before there was any such thing as psn. i don't know what their policies are like now, but psn doesn't seem particularly open

Actually I remember reading this as well..damn..conflicted.
Linkzg said:
what about Steam? PC release, come on!

A good 75% of Cave's library is already on the PC...
Seriously though how is releasing the games on Steam going to work out?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
afaik sony never had the opportunity to reject psn releases of cave shooters -- they discouraged arika from doing a ps3 version of ketsui before there was any such thing as psn. i don't know what their policies are like now, but psn doesn't seem particularly open

I'd rather have them on disc than on a hard drive, because that way I never have to worry about not being able to play the games on another system, but I'd rather pay $10 than $40... Anyway as long as they come out I don't care, but I have a feeling we won't be getting them in the US anyway...

kazuo

God's Beard said:
WHAT THE FUCKING HELL MICROSOFT FUCK YOU UP YOUR FUCKING ASSES
WITH A MICKEY MOUSE DILDO

Seriously, wtf mates.

Ugh.

GOD.

jdfghdfhghfg

<expressions of disappointment, frustration and anger>

icecream

Public Health Threat
Disturbing news... and it does make sense as to why many shooters aren't getting the XBLA treatment.

Now I just wonder what those 'other' games that they decided not to retail are...

VALIS

LakeEarth said:
The sad thing is that they're probably cutting down arcade ports because we complained. A few games get rejected because they're cutting back and we complain again :lol

But honestly, how can they not see we aren't complaining about retro titles, we're complaining about retro titles that SUCK.

:lol I was JUST gonna say that.

GAF yesterday: "Blah blah too many arcade ports on XBLA three shitty fuck M$!"
GAF today: "But but but not THOSE arcade ports! I want those!"

ThirdEye

We are going to cut down faithful arcade ports.' We felt so frustrated. We wanted to show them that their decision was wrong. So we switched our two most promising projects into retail.

Aren't they all paid by Microsoft? How's that frustrating. If they weren't paid, there'd be no reason they are not on PSN.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
icecream said:
Disturbing news... and it does make sense as to why many shooters aren't getting the XBLA treatment.

Now I just wonder what those 'other' games that they decided not to retail are...

Well, by shooters I assume you mean shumps, the XBLA gets a hell of a lot of twin stick shooters.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Shard said:
Well, by shooters I assume you mean shumps, the XBLA gets a hell of a lot of twin stick shooters.
Of course.

ThirdEye said:
Aren't they all paid by Microsoft? How's that frustrating. If they weren't paid, there'd be no reason they are not on PSN.
Of course, the 'all 360 exclusive games are moneyhatted' argument appears again.

obsolete

Just to play devil's advocate a bit....

1. We don't know if 5pb has licensed these for Japan only or worldwide, right? So we can't assume that they'd even be available outside of Japan.

So, with that in mind:

2. How many people in Japan would download it? 5000? 10000? Furthermore, it's a safe bet that the type of people who want to play these games:

a)would be prepared to spend 6000yen on a physical copy
b)would actually prefer to buy a physical copy for their collection (considering the resale price of several low print run shooters....)

3. These aren't "long-tail" games...the fans who care about these 2 games would buy them immediately and then sales would drop off pretty sharply. The same would probably happen if it was on XBLA...it would just sit dormant. It's obvious that MS prefers to put long term earners on XBLA.

4. 5pb dude said that they chose the 2 most promising projects, which means they've licensed more titles, right? Now that 5pb has decided to go disc-based --which automatically raises the price from 1000yen to, let's say, at least 4000yen...so why didn't they chose to release one or two "Cave Anthology" collections?

I'm not defending MS/5pb, just raising a couple thoughts.

don't hurt my bootyhole.

pls.

FightyF

Banned
The guys at MS in charge of XBLA content are so out of touch with gamers and gaming in general.

At first, gamers weren't too keen on remakes of 30 year old arcade games, and wanted more recent stuff like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, Killer Instinct, etc. Yet they didn't push for that sort of stuff.

Then these archaic arcade games (who do have their niche audience) do horrible as we all predicted, and then MS decides that ALL arcade ports are something to avoid?

MS is just out of touch with reality. It's as if they took the bullshit criticism from that anonymous developer and decided "retro" titles weren't worth it.

Absolute incompetence. What does MS have to lose by getting these titles? Are they worried about the image of XBLA? Well thanks to a lack of marketing...XBLA doesn't have much of an image to begin with!

I'm gonna post this same thing on XBLAH, hehe, because I hope someone at MS reads it!

Dachande

obsolete said:

Everyone's problem with these being retail releases is that, so far, every single interesting Japanese title has been region-locked. If they were on XBLA, there would have been quite a decent chance of them appearing worldwide, but now they're disc-based it's more likely we won't be able to play them at all.

Top Bottom