• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5pb - 'XBLA rejected Ketsui and Dodonpachi'

My only wish is that they would really open it up and let devs take a shot with their title and let them try it to succeed or fail. Perhaps if they better organized the Arcade tab in the Dashboard, they wouldn't be so concerned with over-saturating certain game types.

aku:jiki

I'm with drohne's post on page 2 that I'm too lazy to quote here. This actually really pisses me off.

I have to assume that the proposal was sent to MS Japan and that somebody there who just doesn't care (I mean, really, how much can you care if you work for MS' japanese console division?) just rejects shit without even looking. I will accept no other explanation. :(

mosaic said:
Anyone that likes Psyvariar and Castle Shikigami II will kill themselves after playing those. The absolute wrong shmups have been brought to XBLA, with the exception of Ikaruga next month.
Whatever, dude. Both games are easily better than Psyvariar and Triggerheart is easily on par with Shikigami II. They're all mid-tier shmups either way.

Aegs Wing, however, might lead to a few suicides.

Monocle

Well now, that's a questionable decision to say the least. What could be compelling Microsoft to shortchange their customers? XBLA's potential is being sabotaged by its own curator. I'm with kaching on this one.

So its called Xbox Live ARCADE but they don't actually allow arcade games on it anymore just lots of crappy western shareware puzzle games.

I guess this is the same quality control that happened with the hardware. What a moronic company.

Rlan

aku:jiki said:
I have to assume that the proposal was sent to MS Japan and that somebody there who just doesn't care (I mean, really, how much can you care if you work for MS' japanese console division?) just rejects shit without even looking. I will accept no other explanation. :(

Actually from what I recall all XBLA is done via America - hense why it's much easier to get XBLA games in all regions compared to PSN.

Frankly it reminds me of the poor story of Streets of Rage 4, where they were trying to make it for Dreamcast, and the superiors the people at SEGA who were selling te idea to had never heard of the series, and hense, was never made :(

I can see that MS want to keep the service in a good proportion of old arcade titles/original content. Otherwise some companies like Sega, Atari and Midway would flow the arcade section with old titles.

However Cave games are not exactly in the same league. Those arcades did not receive releases outside Japan and do have a niche fan base.

MS should allow that kind of release.

But I would be very pissed if the full titles are not region-free (but chances are really slim since no japanese release up to know is - is it something MS Japan demands?).

However as someone already pointed out:
- We do not know if their license was world wide. A Japan-only digital release would make little sense since they are not used to that kind of distribution.
- The collectors would like to have a physical copy of the game, specially those games which usually have a very small print run and get valuable very quickrun.

It seems that I really need a Japanese 360, but 2 things keep me away from it:
- High cost of them compareble to US machines down here.
- If it breaks (3RLs very good change) I will not have any chance of repair.

h0l211

Just want to point out a potential misunderstanding here - just because Microsoft rejects an XBLA game doesn't mean it can't get published. You just have to go through a third-party publisher like THQ, Sierra, etc. Those guys can publish, as I understand it, pretty much anything they want.

Of course, that's a bit annoying - having to sign up with a publisher - but I bet if Sierra, THQ, etc wanted they could publish these titles on XBLA in the States still.

Skilotonn said:
To confirm this thought, Raiden Fighter Aces doesn't have any upgraded graphics either, right? I don't have a JPN account tp test this for myself yet...

With that said, I hope some company brings them all over US/EU, especially Raiden Fighter Aces...

RFA is an amazing package as I see from the demo. It has all kind of options, including several different filters, frames/sec rates, screen sizes (including bit-by-bit scaling) that looks really well in HDTV. No reason for redoing sprites if those options are soo good.

And a USA release? Doubfull to say the least. But wait... a video from RFA is available at euro Live, so maybe, maybe it can be release over there (maybe the video is a market research like how many users would download it). But probably it will be region-looked anyway.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Wow, dumb as hell decision. And very confusing considering they approved Triggerheart, a more amateur (and borderline pedo) effort.

Rlan said:
Actually from what I recall all XBLA is done via America - hense why it's much easier to get XBLA games in all regions compared to PSN.
Of course it is, but I can't believe somebody would be this clueless!

- We do not know if their license was world wide. A Japan-only digital release would make little sense since they are not used to that kind of distribution.
This has to be a non-issue. A small company that aims to focus its business mainly on XBLA can't be so stupid that they can't do the simple math when it comes to amount of 360's in each region.

xemumanic

Sometimes I wonder about this industry. MS isn't the first to make bread-dead stupid moves like this, nor will they be the last.

I mean, doing something that pretty much EVERYONE agrees would be a money making venture, they don't do it. Throughout the history of gaming, you'll find stupid moves like this one done, that spit in the face of logic.

Seriously dude, WHAT THE F*CK?

h0l211 said:
Just want to point out a potential misunderstanding here - just because Microsoft rejects an XBLA game doesn't mean it can't get published. You just have to go through a third-party publisher like THQ, Sierra, etc. Those guys can publish, as I understand it, pretty much anything they want.

Of course, that's a bit annoying - having to sign up with a publisher - but I bet if Sierra, THQ, etc wanted they could publish these titles on XBLA in the States still.

No, MS still has to approve any game coming from a 3rd party publisher. Hence the fact we do not have plenty of Sega old stuff in XBLA, MS seems to have a limit of 5 old arcade ports per company at the moment (by year?).

You can also self-publish it (which seems to be the case here) but have to pay for testing/certification (if MS publishs it that is free but the share MS cuts from each sale is bigger).

RyanDG

Shig said:
Wow, dumb as hell decision. And very confusing considering they approved Triggerheart, a more amateur (and borderline pedo) effort.

3D polygons on a 2D field > 3D ploygons flattened to be sprites on a 2D field, is what I think they are trying to say here.

Sydle

We are cutting down on arcade ports on our Live Arcade service. Sorry.

FFS

You know, if Microsoft made it distinguishable between original games and arcade ports then this probably wouldn't be an issue. To reject games that have an audience vying to get their hands on certain games....well, that's just really fucking stupid.

besada

Banned
Haeleos said:
since the people in charge of XBLA don't seem to have any conception as to what people using the service are looking for.

That would be great if "the people" were some sort of monolithic group. Just the other day I heard people complaining and grousing that there were too many arcade ports. I guess MS heard the same people bitching.

Tain

drohne said:
i'm authentically angry about this. as opposed to internet angry. CAVE ACTUALLY CONSENTED TO XBLA PORTS OF NEWISH GAMES -- this could've meant cheap worldwide releases of all kinds of awesome stuff. and microsoft in their ignorance conflated ketsui with fucking frogger or smash tv or whatever, and shot it down to make room for...you know, i'm not even going to point out all the utter garbage on xbla; ketsui has a much better claim to be released than ikaruga, exelica, metal slug, etc., ALL OF WHICH ARE ALREADY AVAILABLE ELSEWHERE AHHHH WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES

It's ridiculous.

And what else was 5pb planning? I mean, if they had the means and taste to bring home Ketsui and DOJ black label, who knows what else they would have been willing to release? And I liked MS earlier this gen.

This whole situation has been colossally messy. This is the stuff to get me to import a 360 (alongside RFA), yeah, but to see worldwide releases get shot down for such stupid reasons is pretty infuriating.

soldat7

GhaleonEB said:
That literally makes no sense. These games would be perfect on XBLA. A lot better than some of the crappy shooters to land there as of late.

Microsoft has been flat-out mystifying lately.

Everyone whines about arcade ports that they don't want on XBLA and claim that we have too many ports already. Then something like this happens and people are surprised?

soldat7

Shig said:

Well if you didn't buy it then you're partially to blame. The game didn't sell very well.

Buy Ikaruga people and MS might change their tune. Who knows.

Durante

soldat7 said:
Well if you didn't buy it then you're partially to blame. The game didn't sell very well.
Source? I'd be very interested to know how it sold. (Yes, I bought it -- one of 3 XBLA games I own)

mollipen

Unless a game has completely broken gameplay, or a game has content that is not acceptable subject wise, there is absolutely no reason for Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo to deny games based on pure whim.

Digital distribution gives us the ability to get games we couldn't get via retail, and satisfy the niches where a title wouldn't sell enough to justify putting it on a store shelf. You think Apple tells companies, "Hmm, no, we have too much country music in the iTunes store, sorry" or that Amazon won't sell more niche items because it might make it harder to find the latest Harry Potter book? If your concern is that these "rehash" arcade titles are going to get in the way of people noticing the quality... *snicker*... original titles that are being put up on XBLA, then that is a failing of your poorly designed Xbox Live store, Microsoft, not the fault of the games or the gamers who want them.

haowan

This sort of thing is exactly what Metanet were saying is wrong with XBLA. It's the Foundation 9 ports that have prevented this from coming out due to the completely retarded shelf-space policy of the people running XBLA.

I do hear that they have actually replaced the XBLA management though, so let's wait and see. This sort of outrage is bound not to go unnoticed.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
if there is enough outcry, Microsoft may change their decision to please the fans like they have on many other past decisions, but we'll see....

soldat7

Durante said:
Source? I'd be very interested to know how it sold. (Yes, I bought it -- one of 3 XBLA games I own)

VG is the source. They've been tracking XBLA sales for a while now.

Triggerheart Excelica drops another gargantuan figure - down 40% from last week. It's now in no-mans land, sales wise. It should start selling softly now, but with 1 week left before it's first full month - won't even get close to fellow Shmup (which it beat, handily first week) Omega 5.

It's only sold around 26,000 copies apparently according VG. Like I said, if you didn't buy Triggerheart then you're part of the problem. Redeem yourselves and buy Ikaruga.

Baron

Wouldn't it help open a dialogue if someone contacted this Major Nelson fellow at MS to express our frustration at this decision? After all, isn't he the "XBLA Programming Head"?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I'm going to cry. For real. Tears of denied bullet hell sugar plums.

I know it's been said before but this would have meant a cheaper price (probably $10) but most importantly this would have guaranteed A WORLDWIDE RELEASE. To see these games get rejected and see something like Wits and Wagers coming up is just gut wrenching. It's soul sucking. It's spirit molesting.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Baron said:
Wouldn't it help open a dialogue if someone contacted this Major Nelson fellow at MS to express our frustration at this decision? After all, isn't he the "XBLA Programming Head"?
It couldn't hurt. It's probably too late in this particular case though. Anybody care to try?

This has to be a non-issue. A small company that aims to focus its business mainly on XBLA can't be so stupid that they can't do the simple math when it comes to amount of 360's in each region.

But in such case they should not to limit the release the game in the retail to Japan-only because the game is not region-free. Considering that a lot of the fan base is outside Japan e the small user base they have there, the game should be region free. But none of the Japanese only games up to know are, even the most niche one. This fact astonhish me. Unless there is an issue with MS forcing it (where is the "is up to developers to decide the use of the region lock" MS previous talk) or because of the cost of licensing (releasing it locked would pay less licensing in example - but even so the company should have the vision that even paying more they will make more money in the end).

Chiaroscuro said:
But in such case they should not to limit the release the game in the retail to Japan-only because the game is not region-free.
But a physical release means a million new problems. A tiny japanese company can't do a worldwide launch by themselves. They can via digital distribution, but that ship has apparently sailed.

My annoyance re-ignites every time I see this thread. God damn it!

Rayven

aka surume
Fuck! DDP is my most played shooter. I was looking forward to supporting CAVE.

edit: didn't realize it was Black Label X. Thought it was the original DDP.

But a physical release means a million new problems. A tiny japanese company can't do a worldwide launch by themselves. They can via digital distribution, but that ship has apparently sailed.

My annoyance re-ignites every time I see this thread. God damn it!

I was not implying a worlwide launch, but to keep the game free for importers. I would buy/import it, but I cannot have a japanese system, so it is out of question.

Just see the Dreamcast (which despide being region-locked it is simple to remove it). A lot of people still buy/import the new japanese releases.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
soldat7 said:
It's only sold around 26,000 copies apparently according VG. Like I said, if you didn't buy Triggerheart then you're part of the problem. Redeem yourselves and buy Ikaruga.
People shouldn't have to buy mediocre games as some vague vote of confidence for getting better similar games on the service.

I did buy Excelica, incidentally. And regrettably.

Tain

Even outside of that, I'd be surprised if poor Triggerheart sales caused MS to take that stance. I'm guessing they just don't want to look like they have a bunch of old, emulated 2D games on their service.

And this whole move makes me feel more like not buying any XBLA games for a while than anything else.

soldat7

Shig said:
People shouldn't have to buy mediocre games as some vague vote of confidence for getting better similar games on the service.

I did buy Excelica, incidentally. And regrettably.

What makes Triggerheart mediocre and these Cave titles any better though? And to whom are they better? You have to understand that people have been whining about ports and the lack of original titles for what, 2.5 years now?

I'm dismayed by this just as much as the next NeoGAFer but from MS point of view they have to be looking at how something like Triggerheart (a cherished title to some) fared (and maybe even something like WarTech) and start wondering how other obscure Japanese shmups will do going forward.

Like I said, buy Ikaruga as you all should and maybe MS would reconsider for future Japanese shmups. For the time being MS is trying to handle the huge glut of queued up titles while at the same time appeasing the hardcore (Ikaruga) and the casual (Brain Challenge).

Tain

I think the problem is that you're looking at this as a "shmup" issue and not a "holy shit those games look old" issue. Who's to say that MS would link Ikaruga and Daioujou in the first place?

soldat7

Tain said:
I think the problem is that you're looking at this as a "shmup" issue and not a "holy shit those games look old" issue. Who's to say that MS would link Ikaruga and Daioujou in the first place?

There are plenty of "holy shit those games look old" games on XBLA that have sold hundreds of thousands of copies and made MS very, very happy. The issue is one of obscurity and audience more than anything. And MS would link Ikaruga and Daioujou together for obvious reasons presumably (Japanese shmups, both well-loved, etc.)

NPC

Wow Microsoft, last time I checked your service was called Xbox live ARCADE and arcade ports would be implied/expected.

Tain

There are plenty of "holy shit those games look old" games on XBLA that have sold hundreds of thousands of copies and made MS very, very happy.

I'm just going by what 5pb said that they heard from MS. If MS was totally fine with hosting a ton of more or less emulated titles, and actively wanted more games like that at this point (most sprite-based arcade ports were kinda early releases, save the rare Metal Slug here and there, right?), then there shouldn't be much of a reason to turn 5pb down.

Is the Dodonpachi title in question Daioujou or just plain old Dodonpachi?

Daioujou Black Label.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The irony here is that if it weren't MS policy to keep XBLA file sizes ridiculously low I might have some sympathy for their position on the notion that infrastructure requirements for "shelving" the XBLA games aren't completely negligible. But the only shelf space problem they have is self-imposed through an archaic approach to cataloging online content, without even offering a simple search mechanism.

FightyF said:
and then MS decides that ALL arcade ports are something to avoid?

It's a good thing they're not selling a version of their console called the Xbox 360 Arcade, otherwise that decision would look pretty fucking ridiculous.

soldat7

Tain said:
I'm just going by what 5pb said that they heard from MS. If MS was totally fine with hosting a ton of more or less emulated titles, and actively wanted more games like that at this point (most sprite-based arcade ports were kinda early releases, save the rare Metal Slug here and there, right?), then there shouldn't be much of a reason to turn 5pb down.

They're fine hosting emulated titles that will turn a profit. They have to draw the line somewhere unfortunately.

Believe me I'm pissed. I can only hope that we'll maybe see these titles on other platforms at some point (*cough*PSN*cough*).

h0l211

MS still has to approve any game coming from a 3rd party publisher. Hence the fact we do not have plenty of Sega old stuff in XBLA, MS seems to have a limit of 5 old arcade ports per company at the moment (by year?).

You can also self-publish it (which seems to be the case here) but have to pay for testing/certification (if MS publishs it that is free but the share MS cuts from each sale is bigger).

Not quite - here's the confusing thing. 'Self-publishing' is actually publishing through Microsoft. This is the thing that they insist on higher quality control for, because they assign it an XBLA producer, etc.

There are some games that have been rejected by Microsoft for 'self-publishing', aka Microsoft's XBLA team helping them with publishing, which are subsequently published by third parties. I think Screwjumper might be one of those. That's what I'm suggesting here - if Ketsui is rejected for Microsoft/self-publishing, a publisher (defined as shipping at least two retail games and having a publisher rep) can still pick it up.

Of course, I bet there are hardly any Japanese retail publishers doing XBLA (any?), and the margins would suck for publishers on these niche games so they probably can't be bothered.

I do agree that there are SOME thresholds for retail publisher XBLA games - like they won't allow Sega to re-release every single Genesis game at once. But they seem to be far less stringent, by and large.

Top Bottom