• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 Reasons Zelda: Breath of the Wild is Still Riveting in 2020

daveonezero

Banned
Eh, try playing more open world games to see the pros and cons in BOTW, the inventory and stamina system was simply padding and were unnecessary, this game is no RPG and it didn't need health or stamina upgrades since it's clashes with the fundamental design philosophy of picking any direction and going in that since it's no different than ACO's this area's enemies levels are higher than yours, you could go there and kill them but it's best to go some where else and level up, BOTW feels like it wants to go into new design horizons (for Nintendo at least) but some crutches of the past were left either by fear of changing too much or something else.
All I'm saying is it is different approach. Each has pros and cons. I like the approach BOTW did. Instead of having leveling and more RPG mechanics it has more Souls and NES Legend of Zelda. It isn't for everyone but I like how its more open. If we all posted our paths in BOTW I think they would vary wildly. In most other open world games is an open world but usually sections are blocked off or no accessible till later. BOTW used different systems that are built on throughout the game. In my mind it was much more cohesive and followed its own logic very well.

Soodanim

Haven’t watched the video, but from the blurb it’s nice that they’re going into those mechanics glitches. It’s always the games with unintended outcomes that have the life. That’s why Ocarina glitch hunting stuff happens.

Because it's a game and it's proud to be one

Unlike some games that are ashamed to be games and want to pretend to be movies instead.
Those games definitely aren’t for me, because gameplay rules above all. But I celebrate the variety that exists, because for entertainment I get from one sort of game might not be shared by others whereas the story/walking simulator/visual novel type stuff really is some people’s preference.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
It's kinda alright, no masterpiece for me. I always lose interest a few hours in, too much empty space imho.
I'd also rather play a game with really good combat like DMC or Sekiro.

tassletine

Loved almost every aspect of the game.... with the one huge exception of combat, which is completely and utterly braindead and has very little challenge outside of the few boss fights. I forced myself to play with a maximum of 3 hearts just to have SOME challenge.

lmao wtf I see it too. The fuck is wrong with people these days
A lot of Japanese games work like this (you set your difficulty level yourself). It's a misunderstanding that the game is flawed, because Westerners habitually go for the overpowered.

Top Bottom