• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60 FPS. Settle for nothing else. Ever.

Gek54

bluemax said:
I remember a presentation for a class I took last fall and this dude from Activision (90% sure it was Activision) said and I quote "With the new consoles there's no excuse for anything less than 60 FPS".

I wonder if that was in the presentation slides, too bad I don't think I can get them anymore...

Have all 360 games from Activision been 60fps?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I approve of this. In fact, it has inspired a brilliant idea. I think from now on I will only buy 60fps games. I love the smoothness of them, it's so good -- and in today's crowded market, limiting my options like this will only result in good things.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Speevy said:
I don't get the first part. You're saying Goldeneye and Perfect Dark ran at lousy framerates? What does that have to do with anything? Sticking 30 FPS and fluctuating wildly are two entirely different things.

And let's explore Ninja Gaiden vs. a game like Devil May Cry 3 in the graphics department.

Why does Ninja Gaiden look better? Not animation. Not framerate. Heck, not even lighting, as Itagaki still hasn't figured that one out.

What makes Ninja Gaiden stand out are effects, higher res textures, higher polygon creatures, and much better image quality.

I mentioned Phantom Dust earlier in the thread because it's also a Japanese-developed game which runs at a solid 30 FPS framerate with destructible stages and beautiful animation.

Every game is different. I'm not saying we need to tolerate slow motion gameplay "because it's fun anyway."

I'm saying (and this goes to dark10x as well) that using the PS2 as a benchmark for 60 FPS games and ignoring what it didn't do, like run PC games or titles like Splinter Cell properly, or even have the best framerates out of all multiplatform games, irks me.

The PS3 is a different animal obviously, and if they can have both detailed and 60 FPS, I say go for it. But a game like Ratchet and Clank 3 (I've seen dark10x use this series as an example) looks great because it's clean and well-animated, not because it's "detailed" by any standard I've recognized.
Speevy, my point is that, even with lower end hardware, we saw a lot of 60 fps on the PS2.

The fact is, however, that the hardware was quite literally incapable of displaying a good number of things the XBOX was doing. It just couldn't do it. They didn't avoid using effects and details in order to get the framerate up to 60 fps, like you seem to be suggesting.

Some of the best looking XBOX games ran at 60 fps and were all Japanese developed.

R&C3 *IS* detailed, though. I'm not sure how you could think otherwise. The game serves up detailed levels on a large scale.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
X26 said:
depends on the game

Racing - no excuse for it not to be 60fps
Sandbox (Elder Scrolls, Mercenbaries 2, GTA4) - while 60fps would be nice, it's udnerstandable that it may not be possible with these games on the current hardware
Sports - for the most part, they should be able to have 60fps on these games

and so on

Yup.

In the end, it's all about optimization or lack thereof. Damn those deadlines.

Double D

I completely agree. But then again, I'm a framerate whore. Also, I heard they locked the 360 Prey demo at 30 fps, but it sure seems jankier than that at times. Just try to roll one of those exploding ball thingies.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
When devs are finally unable to overload CPUs (and who the hell knows if that will ever happen), then framerates will continue to dip or remain below 60 fps.

It would be nice, but you wouldn't have many games to play if you settled for nothing else.

Give me a great game like GTA and I couldn't care less about framerate. Framerate is what people care about when the game isn't good enough to engage them.

Yeah, 60fps is pretty. Better to have it than not. Want to see more of it. And untimately, it doesn't matter.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
agent069 said:
I wasn't a framerate whore back in the N64 days, it's because of the Gamecube, I used to have just a Gamecube, I was waiting for a pricedrop, eventually the devil 30 fps Xbox made its way to my home. And it's while playing Halo that I realised, 30 fps ftl, I was so use to Timesplitters and F Zero GX that I couldn't enjoy anything, and so on with every ****in Xbox AAA Title (except the godly Rallysport 2 and Ninja Gaiden), so I exenged it fot a PS2, I had the 60 fps back, but I got terrible aliasing too!

I wanted to comme back to Gamecube, but there was no game to play :( Eventually I played SOTC, it had everything to please me, shitty framerate + uber aliasing, one of the worst looking game imo. It has a wonderful style, an impressive engine and all, but it's so ugly :lol Great game though.

Go play Fire Emblem and Paper Mario. They're 60 FPS! :D (and GREAT GAMES)

dark10x

Give me a great game like GTA and I couldn't care less about framerate. Framerate is what people care about when the game isn't good enough to engage them.
Ah, but you see, when you couple 60 fps WITH a great game...the results are pure magic.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Can someone explain to me why there's hate toward those that want the best out of their gaming experiences? I mean, damn. It's not like fluidity is a bad thing.

dark10x said:
Ah, but you see, when you couple 60 fps WITH a great game...the results are pure magic.

Agreed 100%. I am only reacting to the attitude that if it isn't 60fps, it's crap, as was stated in the original post. I saw somebody slam GTA on the way past, and that ws enough to prompt me to post.

Ignatz Mouse said:
Agreed 100%. I am only reacting to the attitude that if it isn't 60fps, it's crap, as was stated in the original post.
It didn't say that at all, but that it should become mandatory. Like higher definition is on Xbox 360, except you don't need to buy an HD set to tell the difference.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Thread starter is correct.

Time to throw out all my dirty, undeserving 30fps games like Resident Evil 4, Halo, the entire GTA series, Psychonauts, PGR3, GRAW, etc. etc. etc.

Iceshade

My return key is broken.
A high five to drinky crow on this subject. 60 Frames Per Second should indeed be mandatory for action games but consistent frame rate can be equally as important. A frame rate that chugs can really hurt phenomenal games (cough Shadow Of The Colossus cough Snake Eater cough). So, a rock solid consistent 60 FPS is what is truly desired as opposed to a 60 FPS that likes to dip every so often. I'm crossing my fingers for 60 FPS to be applied to Too Human.

Tain

Can someone explain to me why there's hate toward those that want the best out of their gaming experiences? I mean, damn. It's not like fluidity is a bad thing.

I understand that you and dark10x feel that the best-looking games on the PS2 are 60fps, but I just don't agree with that.

Shadow of the Colossus is gorgeous, and it would never reach 60fps in the hands of any developer with any amount of time. The same goes for Metal Gear Solid 3, which completely trounces MGS2 visually.

Then you have something like Earth Defense Force 2, which wouldn't even begin to play the same if all the needed 60fps tradeoffs were made.

Of course 60fps is wonderful. Of course talented developers can squeeze out something that looks amazing given the limitations it imposes, both on effects and design. But what's wrong with leaving it up to the developers to balance? Why assume that, given more talent and more time, any 30fps game could eventually be made 60? And furthermore, why assume that newer hardware automatically means that more developers will aim for 60?

I just don't get it.

jett

D-Member
jetjevons said:
Thread starter is correct.

Time to throw out all my dirty, undeserving 30fps games like Resident Evil 4, Halo, the entire GTA series, Psychonauts, PGR3, GRAW, etc. etc. etc.

The Darkness is 30fps, huh? :p

Tain said:
Shadow of the Colossus is gorgeous, and it would never reach 60fps in the hands of any developer with any amount of time. The same goes for Metal Gear Solid 3, which completely trounces MGS2 visually.

Then you have something like Earth Defense Force 2, which wouldn't even begin to play the same if all the needed 60fps tradeoffs were made.

Of course 60fps is wonderful. Of course talented developers can squeeze out something that looks amazing given the limitations it imposes, both on effects and design. But what's wrong with leaving it up to the developers to balance? Why assume that, given more talent and more time, any 30fps game could eventually be made 60? And furthermore, why assume that newer hardware automatically means that more developers will aim for 60?

I just don't get it.
Exactly. Framerate consistency is more important than just arbitrarily making everything 60fps. Some games-types, of course, need 60 more than others. The fact of the matter is that people want everything and they want it perfect. That's not possible. So, the compromise has to be made if the game is to get everything more important done and solid before it needs to ship.

Amir0x

Banned
hahahah.

it's ok, jetjevons, EGM gave THE DARKNESS a grade of "AWESOME". I know i will buy it even if it's 30fps if it's really "awesome!" Although I will be sad, FP type games need 60fps :(

jett

D-Member
jetjevons said:
Oh come now. Did 30fps really hurt Chronicles of Riddick that much?

Haha I was just kidding :p, I'm not a 60fps whore(but obviously I prefer it, I mean who wouldn't).

By the way, I remember a while ago you said something about developing a Sin City game. Was that project canned?

You haven't experienced a truely great framerate until you play Quake 3 on a modern day computer with a high-end graphics card with v-sync disabled. It gives me a headache.

dark10x

jetjevons said:
Oh come now. Did 30fps really hurt Chronicles of Riddick that much?
I don't know, I played it on the PC at a rock solid 60 fps. THAT certainly helped, I can tell you that much. ;)

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
jett said:
Haha I was just kidding :p, I'm not a 60fps whore(but obviously I prefer it, I mean who wouldn't).

By the way, I remember a while ago you said something about developing a Sin City game. Was that project canned?

We're still working on setting up the Sin City game! Hopefully will have something to announce soon.

And btw Stbz are shooting for 60fps with The Darkness so frame rate whores, breath easy.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
30 or 60 doesn't matter really. 60 are much more pretty and when scrolling everything looks much clear, but if the action keeps at a slow/correct speed, there's no problem at all playing a 30 FPS game.

So, it's OK meanwhile the speed of the action keeps fine with the framerate.

Last Hope

Well, my favorite is when Bizarre said that they were aiming for 60fps all along the development of PGR. When TGS came around and the build was still running at 30fps, I knew it was nothing but BS. They stuck to this 60fps line because they wanted people to stay off their back.

But if you think the line was actually true, then they are bitter failures at game developing. When the game was finished, it didn't even run at a solid 30fps so they had to lower the resolution of the game. If they claim that they are targeting 60fps for PGR4, I will just disregard it.

When I first heard that Forza 2 was to run at 60fps, I was very skeptical. MS seems to believe 30fps is supperior as shown by 100% of their first party games being 30fps. It almost seems like it requires tallent that a lot of teams don't have to make a game run at 60fps. Anywho, I am pretty certain that Forza 2 will actually be 60fps now because they seem to be making it a selling point that time rather than taking the Bizarre and never mentioning it and when asked about it, nearly ducking the question.

Tain

You haven't experienced a truely great framerate until you play Quake 3 on a modern day computer with a high-end graphics card with v-sync disabled. It gives me a headache.

true that.

Especially since Quake 3 doesn't "cap the gameplay", so to speak. You honestly feel the difference between 60 fps and 260 fps, even if you don't see it.

Carmack put a stop to that with the Doom 3 engine, though, and probably for the better when it comes to balance.

dark10x

ELS-01X said:
It has nothing to do with talent, framerate is always a choice.
It has a LOT to do with skill and talent. How on earth could you think otherwise?

Well, my favorite is when Bizarre said that they were aiming for 60fps all along the development of PGR. When TGS came around and the build was still running at 30fps, I knew it was nothing but BS. They stuck to this 60fps line because they wanted people to stay off their back.
They even had that 720p trailer on the net which ran at 60.

all pc games can make 60fps on an average of all average pc.
Average doesn't mean shit. An average PC can't HOLD 60 fps on high end games. Fact.

dark10x said:
It has a LOT to do with skill and talent. How on earth could you think otherwise?
Well, everything is skill to some extent. But whether your game's graphics will put an emphasis on fluidity or prettier stills certainly seems a design decision. The most important skill in making a 60 fps game would be to just not overload every frame with polygons and taxing tricks. Of course it is the most skilled and talented groups who end up with a product that does both.

ELS-01X

Banned
dark10x said:
No, you have always 60 fps in every single game because you can always scale back content. So it really is independent of talent. Or are you saying that team Kojima lost its talent while making MGS3?
reyes.gif

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Dimmuxx said:

Damn, NES games are in 60fps, lets at least make next gen games in 60fps.

Screw the extra polys you can put on, either do it in 60fps or learn to program a more efficient game engine. I'm sick of 30fps.

It's just retarded.

dark10x

ELS-01X said:
No, you have always 60 fps in every single game because you can always scale back content. So it really is independent of talent. Or are you saying that team Kojima lost its talent while making MGS3?
reyes.gif
There is a limit to what certain hardware can achieve...but the fact that so many early 360 games are barely holding 30 fps is just plain sad.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
That reminds me of how I would love to see a Red Faction III on PS3. I think they can do great things with this game if they would make the enviroments even more intractable. The frame rate should be a SOLID 60 FPS. Just my thoughts.

ELS-01X

Banned
dark10x said:
There is a limit to what certain hardware can achieve...but the fact that so many early 360 games are barely holding 30 fps is just plain sad.
There's also a limit on what developers can do in a certain amount of time, specially with a new piece of hardware. They could always scale the graphics back to achieve a higher framerate, but they obviously don't want to. But even if they could have a lot more time to optimize their code, they could and probably use it to add even more polygons, effects, etc instead of upping the framerate. So again, it's matter of choice, not talent or skill.

Ranger X

dark10x said:

Keep in mind that the first games doesn't receive long devellopment cycles and they also receive less budget because there's isn't enough stats out there to justify more risk (since the console is new).
This is mainly why most first year games sucks on pretty much any console ever.

Top Bottom