• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

65% Gross Racist Dad Joke, 35% Spy Shit, 5% Paxton—True Lies: Cameron's Worst Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Movie was decent

Hated the pacing

Tom Arnold made the movie

Not worth fighting over the internet

Now if this thread was about Big Trouble in Little China...

Matt

Schattenjäger;232387559 said:
And how does it do that?

The scene is not realistic
Tom Arnold tells him he is out of line.

And of course the scene isn't realistic, but comparing it to a real couple's role play is ridiculous.

I like True Lies a good deal, but I always knew Harry was completely in the wrong with he was doing.

TTG

If this movie is racist, so is every other movie with foreign villains. BRB, writing a diatribe on why Rocky 4 should be condemned.

Fox Mulder

I guess this PC shit will keep it from getting a bluray release any time soon.

It's a movie of the time, and I love some Arnold action cheese.

cchum

Schattenjäger;232387769 said:
Movie was decent

Hated the pacing

Tom Arnold made the movie

Not worth fighting over the internet

Now if this thread was about Big Trouble in Little China...

Start one...

Madness

Great movie.

I do remember the protests from Arab American groups when it was released too. Unfortunate and lazy tropes.

Also Back to the Future did the same thing too. We forgave it as well, although it came earlier.

The thing is though, the trope was born out of the fact Islamic extremism was on the sharp rise. Hell do you not remember to listening to Biggie lyrics about the world trade? This was pre-9/11 as well.

I remember watching National Lampoon's Vacation maybe last year, as soon as Roy Wally comes, he asks if the terrorists were Arab.

They played on stereotypes sure. But I loved True Lies. Holds up well today. Perfect mix of comedy, action, thrilling elements. Cameron needs to continue with non-Avatar movies again. Compare how Terminator 2 became the blueprint of blockbusters for a long time.

entremet

Tom Arnold tells him he is out of line.

And of course the scene isn't realistic, but comparing it to a real couple's role play is ridiculous.

I like True Lies a good deal, but I always knew Harry was completely in the wrong with that he was doing.

I always saw that scene as showing how Harry's double life as a spy had corrupted him somewhat.

Deep. Bro. It's deep.

entremet

Eh...maybe? Considering we never see him pre-spy that's a hard interpretation to justify I think.

Well I don't we need to see him pre-spy. He's been doing the work for years by then. Hard to imagine his conscience wasn't seared somewhat from that line of work.

Matt

Well I don't we need to see him pre-spy. He's been doing the work for years by then. Hard to imagine his conscience wasn't seared somewhat from that line of work.
Like I said, maybe. But mostly that just seems like looking for a reason to justify his actions more than the movie presenting anything directly to support it.

A-V-B

It's not his best film, but I always thought it was a lot of fun for the most part. It's not a really serious film, except for that scene where Curtis goes nuts in the interrogation room (great performance btw.)

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
thread backfire obvy....anyways, I liked True Lies a lot except the cringey the strip thang...like why

I have one great memory from this movie: In the theater, during the strip tease scene, someone shouted "What the fuck happened to the plot?!"

The rest is totally forgettable or, yes, just dumb and racist.

entremet

Like I said, maybe. But mostly that just seems like looking for a reason to justify his actions more than the movie presenting anything directly to support it.

I don't know, being a hardened spy living and double life for decades doesn't seem conducive to being a fully integrated and psychologically healthy individual.

For example, if that Arnold's character from Twins, it would not be believable since that character was a gentle giant basically.

Matt

I don't know, being a hardened spy living and double life for decades doesn't seem conducive to being a fully integrated and psychologically healthy individual.

For example, if that Arnold's character from Twins, it would not be believable since that character was a gentle giant basically.
Right, but it seems like a nonviolent, psychologically healthy individual wouldn't try to get into the killer spy business in the first place.

cchum

I have one great memory from this movie: In the theater, during the strip tease scene, someone shouted "What the fuck happened to the plot?!"

The rest is totally forgettable or, yes, just dumb and racist.

Well I was sitting in Star Wars clone wars... and a guy jumped up yelling "yeah, that's right Yoda..." when he came out at the end.

The movie could've been just the Corvette scene for me.

Pure genius

I'd watch it

This thread relinquished a tad bit of sanity back for neogaf. Had this gone OP's direction all hope would have been lost. So these posters are human after all.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
True Lies is a really fun flick, if not pretty dumb. One of the better action-comedy movies. Paxton really elevates it.

I find it a lot more enjoyable, and immensely more memorable, than Avatar.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There's literally nothing wrong with the OP's critiques. they're all valid. It's all more or less based on what was spammed at the screen, but the "outrageousness' falls apart when you put it in the context of the period and the other movies that were out there. This movie's dated social horrors are simply exemplary of the times, and it's only notable because it was successful. It was airing in theaters at the same time of plenty of tonally identical guff.

And yet, there were other movies, Robocop, Gremlins, etc, that kinda knew what era they were in, and managed to transcend it by telling stories that were in the same vein, but layers above their competitors. Like how Vanilla Ice and Kendrick are both successful rappers.

Schattenjäger;232386869 said:
What exactly is so creepy and gross about what Harry Tasker did?

Hahaha what. Really.

If you're gonna hate on the movie - at least hate on the pacing as that was the worst part

I didn't hate on the movie (I still called it likable) and I did mention the pacing.

I even put pictures in the goddamn OP so you guys might be enticed to read more than three paragraphs this time!

(Also walked in the other room to make sure the hoodie was Old Navy. That's research.)

I'm pretty sure Bobby is on a mission to destroy all the things I love. Next week - Big Trouble in Little China.

Nah, I like Big Trouble way more than I like True Lies. Big Trouble is also nowhere near Carpenter's worst movie.

But True Lies is definitely Cameron's worst.

what is a dad joke movie? I've never heard this before?

It's a movie that feels like it's made up of shitty corny-ass dad jokes.

I think you've vastly overthought this.

Nah.

Don't you besmirch the name of Temple of Doom, Bobby! I won't stand for it! *remains seated*

I really like Temple of Doom, and have argued for it on this board multiple times. Still think it's the 2nd best Indy movie.

Amazing John Williams score, too. I mean, Amazing-er than usually.

Schattenjäger;232389409 said:
(You originally wrote 40)

I know, I'm almost 40, left out the almost, then went back and just put my actual age in there.

Schattenjäger;232386869 said:
I won't even get into the other ludicrous points you made and focus on this..

What exactly is so creepy and gross about what Harry Tasker did? Married couples role play all the time ..
Grant it.. he took advantage of his spy privileges but it's a movie and the scene is integral to the plot of the movie

If you're gonna hate on the movie - at least hate on the pacing as that was the worst part

Umm, yeah. I don't think that scene was "role play".

kswiston

Schattenjäger;232389409 said:
True Lies

(You originally wrote 40)

Bobby has mentioned being the same age as Star Wars, so I assume that the last grains of sand are running out on his 30s. Rounding up is not a sin :p

Guys you can stop pretending you don't understand how the movie has some racist/sexist shit going on in it. I refuse to believe you're that thick.

Also, just because a work has iffy stuff like that in it doesn't mean the people involved in making it are racist/sexist, nor does it mean you are for enjoying it (I mean unless that's specifically the reason why you like it).

Last I saw True Lies I thought it was fun as hell. Definitely bloated, and has some pretty weird and uncomfortable stuff, but I'd watch it over Avatar any day of the week.

Pyccko

Saw this backfire coming. Sorry, Bobby! A lot of people still love this movie.

That said I haven't seen it in maybe 20 years, so I couldn't tell you my real opinion on it. I will say though, even as a youngster I thought the striptease seemed like a really fucked up thing to do to your wife.

That strip tease though.

JxT4Bpm.gif

Terrific movie, still holds up after all this time.

Yeah I agree. I want a blu ray uhd version so bad. Maybe it's corny and in bad taste looking back through a perfect prism but god damn is it a good movie. The part where they are survailing Curtis and Paxton and the copper raises what looks like 20 feet behind them on the high way is gold.

Guys you can stop pretending you don't understand how the movie has some racist/sexist shit going on in it. I refuse to believe you're that thick.

Also, just because a work has iffy stuff like that in it doesn't mean the people involved in making it are racist/sexist, nor does it mean you are for enjoying it (I mean unless that's specifically the reason why you like it).

Last I saw True Lies I thought it was fun as hell. Definitely bloated, and has some pretty weird and uncomfortable stuff, but I'd watch it over Avatar any day of the week.

yep, well said. agree with all of this except for that last sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom