• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7th Dragon III – Code: VFD |OT| Of Seiyuus and Seiryuus

Hubb

Well don't try the new DLC if you are just starting the game. Didn't expect that they'd make it hardish.

GG game just crashed on me. Least I only lost about 30 minutes of gameplay.

Koeta

tw7Cyaq.jpg

3 new DLC were coming out today yet only 2 have?

July 19, 2016: Code: Student! $1.99. A chance to recruit 7th Dragon 2020’s Samurai.
July 19, 2016: Code: Otaku! $1.99. A chance to recruit 7th Dragon 2020’s hacker.
July 19, 2016: Code: Lucier! $1.99. A chance to recruit 7th Dragon 2020’s Lucier.

Joe Molotov

Final boss is kicking my ass, I'm gonna have to do a little grindan I guess.

When he starts spamming Lightning Storm in his final form, I'm just getting rekt. I don't know if there's a trick to it that I'm missing, because once I did something and he calmed instead of casting Lightning Storm. I thought it was because I used Break after he casted Fury, but I did that again and it didn't work, so I guess not.

kagamin

From this thread:
Wave 1 -- 7/19
Quest: Code: Student!
Price: $1.99/CA$2.49
Availability: 7/19/2016
Description: Recruit the Samurai character from 7th Dragon 2020

Quest: Code: Otaku!
Availability: 7/19/2016
Description: Recruit the Hacker character from 7th Dragon 2020

Wave 2 -- 7/26
Quest: Code: Lucier!
Availability: 7/26/2016
Description: Recruit the Lucier character from 7th Dragon 2020-II

Quest: To My Beloved Unit 13
Price: $1.49/CA$1.99
Description: Prepare for post-game. Unlock ultimate weapons for all classes and a "Blaster Raven" character

Quest: Allie's Death March
Price: $1.49/CA$1.99
Description: A test for only the bravest of dragon hunters. Unlock a boss rush of nearly every encounter in the game pumped up to max level. EXTREME!

Sterok

So I beat the three High dragons with the separated parties in chapter 5, and now I'm lost. Can't figure out where to go to move on. Any hints?

Sterok

Holy shit, my Rune-Knight's counter when killed skill took out a third of chapter 5's boss's health and won the battle for me. Epic save for a boss I thought I would need a dozen tries for. And here I thought my Rune-Knight was my weakest member. Great music for that battle too.

Eusis

My samurai whacked off a solid half of the health by Solid Stancing then firing off Poplar Admiral.

Then the onslaught of obnoxious attacks and status ailments ate through resources and made it drag out. Still finished on a first try but damn.

kagamin

Only had one death so far on normal, and it was from being too greedy with my GodHand and trying to lower the dragon's atk/mat instead of healing.

So I was messing around with my skills to see if I had some better set-ups and basically had this situation happen.

Looking at my Duelist, see the Judgment skill which I didn't really "get" before. Was like...hrm, well it does neutral damage and says the damage is massive if I lay all three traps down so maybe it'll be worth it though a lot of times you could just use other abilities during that time to do more damage generally speaking. So I try for it a couple times but no enemies hit me so I didn't know if I was doing something wrong or an enemy needed to activate all three or whatever. Kinda dismiss it.

Get into a fight with a dragon, supply draw on my first turn and basically get a set up to lay all three traps down. Figure why the hell not, it's not a really tough battle, lemme see if I missed something. So as I'm laying traps down, I'm hitting it with my powerhouse and main damage dealer the God Hand for like...250 a Jab, 500 or 600 a Backfist. Normal damage. I lay down my third trap and the dragon hits my Duelist and activates Judgment. I'm like "Oh neat, that's how it works" and then it does 3700 damage and drops the Dragon from 80% of it's life to dead.

I was on the train and just let out a loud "Yoooooooooooooo" involuntarily.

Also, how the hell did you verbally say a star emoji? These symbol sentence endings be tripping me out

Sterok

Beat the game. There was a noticeable difficulty spike at chapter 5, but then you got EX skills and the rest of the game was not too tough. Final boss went down like a chump.
Confuse Guards kept my third team alive to wreck the first phase. Then my second team was able to easily plow through the second phase. In the final part everything went towards keeping my dual wielding samurai main character alive and well as she solid stanced into her EX attack. Followed by filling up her Exhaust Gauge again so that she could repeat it. Boom, final boss dead in 4 turns.

About the ending,
didn't realize Nagamimi was a girl. But more importantly, where the hell was the rest of my party? They just straight up disappeared with no sight of them in the new world. Didn't feel right not having them there.

Overall, pretty good. Difficulty felt about right, if a tad on the easy side overall once you figured out a few classes' tricks (though my Duelist always felt weak). The lack of 3D was lame, and it felt like it was trying to have higher production values then it ended up having. Plot and characters were standard JRPG fare, but they were fine enough. My character apparently sleeping with everyone was funny. The classes were all neat, and the battles were short enough that I didn't mind not being able to skip animations. Dungeon crawling could get tense, but not too bad thanks to plenty of skills, level up healing, party switching, and rest stations. QOL features were great. The backup party members leveling just as much as the active party was wonderful. Backup skills in battle and unionize unfortunately were underutilized seeing how fast battles went. Not the greatest 3DS JRPG I've played, but it was solid fun the entire time.

Meffer

Agh how do you guys do that

Also, I've been fighting
Haze
for the last 20 minutes and he keeps fucking me up bad. Like Jesus, I normally murderlate dragons but this dude's damage output is fucking stuuuuuuupid
Try grinding a bit, getting a few levels really makes a difference.

tuffymon

I wouldn't call this a spoiler, but more like awareness... after you beat the game, cutscenes, story, ending credits etc, it lets you save again. A new zone unlocks called the Shadow Realm...
This zone costs 50dz to enter, which is what you'll have if you killed every dragon in the game.

@Sterok
The final bosses final form goes haywire so to speak on turn 5, so lucky you. Turn 4 is Matk up, and full wipe turn 5, you can defend, but if you don't remove the buff, and the attack doesn't remove the buff either, it'll keep using it every round 450~ without mdef up or defending... also note that sometimes your ally doesn't remove the buff with a buddy attack either, the most I had it continue this ultimate was 3 turns, before I just wiped.

Last set of dlcs should go up today I think! >.>?

Eusis

Easy would probably make A for Awesome look like hard mode.

There is a nice bite to the dragon fights I think and some boss fights really are challenging (then there's the NG+) but on a whole it's a really easy game. Funny how the series went from DQ-styled EO to some "what if" to making Etrian Odyssey WAY more accessible. Would've liked a DQ styled globe trotting adventure still but once they took the series to Tokyo I figured that was out the window.

tuffymon

You don't just get them, you have to do a very minor quest to unlock them.

Also, decided to goof around, talk to the people in the sky lounge 3x (the ids), and you get an item... some are legendary weapons >.>; that are worse than the shop items ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , but some of the accessories are nice. You also get some really uhh odd and questionable dialogue >.>; I think I've had sexual relations (highly implied) with everyone now?

Eusis

I think those conversations are really meant to be completed by the end of Chapter
5 (including intermission.)
Any later and... Yeah, you'll get better.

Ha ha ha, so I switched to my secondary party for shits and giggles and wiped the floor with the Chapter 4 boss that was giving me so much trouble. My team of Runic/Samurai/Diviner just had so much damage mitigation and ailment removal that it severely limited his ability to do damage and I was recovering from it too fast. I feel kinda stupid.

I really like this game a lot. I think the classes are super interesting and a far cry from your stock standard classes. Most have multiple builds you could go into and a lot of them have multiple synergies with other classes. I really am angry that I only have three slots in battle because I want to experiment so much with different party make ups.

I also enjoy the cute style and have no issues whatsoever with the designs or aesthetics. The games plot is serviceable but what makes it fun to play are the characters because it keeps a very irreverent and self-aware light-hearted tone throughout even when dealing with their heavy moments. Good localization.

I've been waiting ages for this series to come over here and I really want more games in it. I hope it does well enough to get the next game to come over.

tuffymon

I think those conversations are really meant to be completed by the end of Chapter
5 (including intermission.)
Any later and... Yeah, you'll get better.

Makes sense, I waited until too late to bother with some things, I've done almost everything now. All cats/quests/people/dragons, beat the game, just doing a little prep before finishing the shadow realm, its MUCH harder than the normal game...
The normal fights are dragons that are much stronger than any other dragons in the game, ya know, minus bosses...

I thought this was the last game in the series?

Goddamn, did anyone beat the Allie's Death March mission (not sure of the English translation)? I managed to beat the boss rush dungeon, but this thing is kicking my ass! I feel like you would need to have two Banishers jumping on alternate turns with a Fortuner auto-rezing everybody to even make it through.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just finished the main story, took around 30 hours total. It's a pretty straightforward and simple game, but I had a lot of fun with it. Soundtrack is really good. I'm not sure if I'll bother with the post-game yet, but either way, I'm happy I picked this up.

Anyone have any cool party/skill build suggestions?

I finally got my third team and all classes, and I've been doing a little hoarding when it comes to skill points so I want to finally let loose

vall03

The game is pretty much easy so they designed Bosses to inflict status ailments instead. Just got wrecked by Boss because it can inflict almost all status ailment there is in the game. Damage from the boss is not a problem though, just need to survive this onslaught of status effects.

Joe Molotov

The game is pretty much easy so they designed Bosses to inflict status ailments instead. Just got wrecked by Boss because it can inflict almost all status ailment there is in the game. Damage from the boss is not a problem though, just need to survive this onslaught of status effects.

There's an accessory that gives you a 55% chance to avoid all status effects, that's a nice one to have.

When does my second team unlock? I seem to be able to register new party members but can't form a second party yet. Just got to the chapter 2 and can now go to the level after Atlantis, forget the name.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Of course I buy the game at launch knowing I won't be able to play the game right now but I'll get the prime discount and the free DLC. I then wanted to remind myself of the dlc schedule with alerts.

Missed all the DLC but the first week ;_;

Linkark07

Banned
Yesterday defeated the 4th True Dragon. The track used on that boss was perfect. It also felt epic using for the first time an Unison attack for defeat the boss. As expected, the soundtrack is superb.

NeonZ

This game is pretty fun. I wasn't grabbed by the demo, but the combat got much funner once I got into upgrading skills and buying new ones (and soon afterwards the 2nd team being added).

WVW69jnRjvoku_wu2M_zpsrgmv9sle.jpg

Does anyone know if the npc's quotes would have changed if my 2nd team had been all composed by Luciers? There are many npc quotes that specifically treat it like a team from Tokyo, so it makes me wonder if all that dialogue would change for a Lucier exclusive team...

I finished the game a week ago, but I'm just posting a summary of my experience.

I enjoyed this game a lot. The difficulty is nowhere near the Etrian series, but the battle system and classes are just so well designed. Mobs and mini-bosses were a cakewalk, but the True Dragon battles did require actual strategy. I actually liked the fact that game forced you to use multiple parties up at certain moments, because it shows you how every class plays. In some Etrian Odyssey games, I never even used some classes.

The plot was just serviceable, but the characters had a lot of personality. They added charm to this game.

The music is just absolutely fantastic! This is one of the best OSTs out there, and it's a shame that it will be overlooked.

The only negative thing I encountered involved some issues with the quest system. I was locked out of one particular quest (that rewarded a very useful accessory) due to story progression, and I didn't want to go back to my previous save (5 hours earlier) just to do it. I was able to do the quest during the next chapter, but this was annoying. I also started to get burned out on the fetch quests, but my overall experience was highly enjoyable.

7th Dragon III is just a really good game.

Regarding
EX Skills...

Can you only get them for your first playable character? Because I've tried to trigger them for my other team members, but it doesn't seem to be working.

spiritfox

Yeah, I did that, it still didn't trigger.

I got the one for my first character, but I switched both of my other characters to leader and nothing happened.

Is there a cutoff point?

No I don't think so. Did you talk to
Yoshida first before doing the quest? You need to activate each quest individually.

NeonZ

I'm kind of disappointed (ending spoilers) about how
Nagamimi doesn't keep the form from the epilogue in the post-game. It's weird because the new dungeon makes it seem like it's post-ending, but the actual Nodens area is just like how it was before the final dungeon. It'd be neat if they had updated it to be post game. They'd just need to remove Allie and her two helpers and add new dialogue for the others, since the time machine could be used to explain everyone else being back.

The only negative thing I encountered involved some issues with the quest system. I was locked out of one particular quest (that rewarded a very useful accessory) due to story progression, and I didn't want to go back to my previous save (5 hours earlier) just to do it. I was able to do the quest during the next chapter, but this was annoying. I also started to get burned out on the fetch quests, but my overall experience was highly enjoyable.

I was actually surprised that there weren't more fetch quests. Many monster drop items end up existing just to be sold for money.

Top Bottom