• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7th Dragon III – Code: VFD |OT| Of Seiyuus and Seiryuus

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Recently wrapped up Stranger of Sword City and put some time into this game's demo to otherwise fill up my commutes. Once my retail copy arrived, I transferred my bonuses and have been slowing plugging away at it.

Game's ugly as sin, but damn me if the music isn't fantastic and the gameplay utterly engrossing. Not terribly far yet, but it's an easy rec from me.

Koeta

I read at level 30 you can change the look, voice and name of the demo characters but looking into it more it looks like I'll lose 10 levels doing it D: ?

I read at level 30 you can change the look, voice and name of the demo characters but looking into it more it looks like I'll lose 10 levels doing it D: ?
You can change the look, voice, name of the demo characters at any time in the retail version. For free.

The Class of each character can only be changed at level 30 or above, you will lose 10 levels.

If you change Class at 40 or above, they will also carry over a stat bonus.

Koeta

You can change the look, voice, name of the demo characters at any time in the retail version. For free.

The Class of each character can only be changed at level 30 or above, you will lose 10 levels.

If you change Class at 40 or above, they will also carry over a stat bonus.

Is this the option to use to change the characters stuff?

lUaVBsQ.jpg

Demo sold me on the game, so I bought it last night at like 1am, and because of the awesomeness of amazon prime, i got it today with free shipping!

Anyway, any starter tips? In terms of leveling up classes and skills and stuff, is there any way you can screw a character up? Or is it pretty straightforward?

Koeta

Demo sold me on the game, so I bought it last night at like 1am, and because of the awesomeness of amazon prime, i got it today with free shipping!

Anyway, any starter tips? In terms of leveling up classes and skills and stuff, is there any way you can screw a character up? Or is it pretty straightforward?

Pick up the DLC while it's still free.

July 12, 2016

Gold Rabi Outbreak! quest: Gold Rabi encounters. Free until July 18, 2016. $1.49 after.
Nagamimi Doll: free DLC that adds a talking Nagamimi to the player’s dorm.
Seed Outbreak! quest: Dragonsbane Seed encounters. Free until July 18, 2016. $1.49 after.

July 19, 2016

Code: Otaku!: recruit 7th Dragon 2020’s Hacker. Free until July 25, 2016. $1.99 after.
Code: Student!: recruit 7th Dragon 2020’s Samurai. Free until July 25, 2016. $1.99 after.

July 26, 2016

Allie’s Death March: boss rush of every encounter, with the bosses at their max level. Free until August 1, 2016, $1.49 after.
Code: Lucier!: recruit 7th Dragon 2020-II’s Lucier. Free until August 1, 2016. $1.99 after.
To My Beloved Unit 13: unlock classes’ ultimate weapons and the Blaster Raven character. Free until August 1, 2016. $1.49 after. (Note: only available in the quest list after beating 7th Dragon III Code: VFD.)

Joe Molotov

Made it to Chapter 5.

Now I'm fighting asshole dragons with my off party.

And despite it's name, Dragon Buster does some shit-ass damage to dragons. I know it's an AOE attack, but the description tricked me into thinking it would be good against, you know, dragons. Well it isn't.

Eusis

You can items at the conference floor and no you can't skip or speed up attack animations.
Probably the game's most serious flaw.

Does seem to be kind of weak technically though. Maybe it's hactually pretty high poly but I'd think based on games like Zelda and Monster Hunter this could run at 60 FPS and/or with 3D. Hell, some of those enemy attacks practically scream "imagine how cool this would be in 3D!"

Yo, that Chapter 3 Boss Fight was a fucking fight. Took me 5 tries and even then my final battle was tooth and nail the whole way. Kinda wish I spent the money on my God Hand's Ailment Stance.

Made it to Chapter 5.

Now I'm fighting asshole dragons with my off party.

And despite it's name, Dragon Buster does some shit-ass damage to dragons. I know it's an AOE attack, but the description tricked me into thinking it would be good against, you know, dragons. Well it isn't.
Try using it on trash Dragons that aren't Fire-based. It does close to 2k Damage for me on the reg.

Of course, the High Dragon I tried using it on was Fire-based. That whopping 5 damage.
Agree that being unable to skip/FF special attacks is a major bummer.

Koeta

Probably the game's most serious flaw.

Does seem to be kind of weak technically though. Maybe it's hactually pretty high poly but I'd think based on games like Zelda and Monster Hunter this could run at 60 FPS and/or with 3D. Hell, some of those enemy attacks practically scream "imagine how cool this would be in 3D!"

I'm kind of shocked to see some fps drops on the n3ds of mine, game doesn't look like it would be pushing any limits compared to some other games I play, and being able to skip battle animations would have been nice :(

I'm liking the game so far, fills my enjoyment of grinding levels though I heard it's not needed I still enjoy it lol.

ar4757

Downloaded the demo today after being surprised by the reviews. I had basically ignored the game up til this point assuming it was something like that new Langrisser game that people didn't care about.

But this game is actually pretty fun from what I can tell! Combat having some third person is nice, and i like the music and setting. Seems very customizable. I'll have to try to get it tomorrow for the free dlc.

Yo, that Chapter 3 Boss Fight was a fucking fight. Took me 5 tries and even then my final battle was tooth and nail the whole way. Kinda wish I spent the money on my God Hand's Ailment Stance.

Yeah, I also had to redo this fight a lot. These big battles are much more difficult than the mobs and minibosses.

On a slightly different note, the group heals are pretty terrible even at a high level. You should avoid putting skill points into them, since items are so much better.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Downloaded the demo today after being surprised by the reviews. I had basically ignored the game up til this point assuming it was something like that new Langrisser game that people didn't care about.

But this game is actually pretty fun from what I can tell! Combat having some third person is nice, and i like the music and setting. Seems very customizable. I'll have to try to get it tomorrow for the free dlc.

Once you get to Chapter 2 the combat systems really open up. It's a very cool system that is unfortunately not shown in the demo.

If you thought the demo was good, you're going to love the full game.

Joe Molotov

I wish the game would tell you what each level of skills do without having to buy every other level of it. God Hand's Jab is super important, but there's no way of knowing that it does 2G's of God Depth at max level until you've already leveled it, so you might just ignore it.

Sterok

Chapter 4 boss was rough. Obliterated me on my first try. Had to keep up constant heals and debuffs to try and stay alive. But on the bright side I finally got the unification party ability to activate. Launching 9 attacks at once felt so good.

Neoweee

You can items at the conference floor and no you can't skip or speed up attack animations.

Yeah, that's the breaking point for me. About 90 minutes in and the game seems like complete and utter trash. It's a decent game buried under too much clunk. I'm probably putting the game down forever at this point, because every other game in my 3DS queue wastes less of my time.

Yeah, that's the breaking point for me. About 90 minutes in and the game seems like complete and utter trash. It's a decent game buried under too much clunk. I'm probably putting the game down forever at this point, because every other game in my 3DS queue wastes less of my time.
It's definitely not 'complete and utter trash'. The battles are honestly pretty fast paced, and the story gets out of your way after the opening. Sure the game hitches occasionally and you can't skip the battle animations, but otherwise the game is snappy and offers a consistent challenge. It's basically Etrian Odyssey with a bit more plot and flash.

Eusis

Live through PS1 and some PS2 RPGs? This was a way, way bigger problem with them (Xenosaga II had normal battles that could run 8 minutes!)

Neoweee

It's definitely not 'complete and utter trash'. The battles are honestly pretty fast paced, and the story gets out of your way after the opening. Sure the game hitches occasionally and you can't skip the battle animations, but otherwise the game is snappy and offers a consistent challenge. It's basically Etrian Odyssey with a bit more plot and flash.

You call it plot and flash, I call it clunky and slow. Battles are so inconsistent. The class with the card summons and the Hack animation are all so slow for something that happens so frequently, while the Samurai's moves are almost instant.

Live through PS1 and some PS2 RPGs? This was a way, way bigger problem with them (Xenosaga II had normal battles that could run 8 minutes!)

Yup. Been playing for decades. I don't go back to play older games that often mostly because of how slow they are. Xenosaga 2 is an awful point of comparison, as it is fairly widely considered the low-point of the 6 "Xeno" games. This game genuinely feels slower than most 3DS and DS RPGs, and its lack of speed options seems to be bucking the trend that has dominated RPGs over the last decade.

I'll probably just have to sideboard out the slow classes if I want to stay sane.

I assume the opening is the most (only?) story-heavy part of the game?

Eusis

Yup. Been playing for decades. I don't go back to play older games that often mostly because of how slow they are. Xenosaga 2 is an awful point of comparison, as it is fairly widely considered the low-point of the 6 "Xeno" games. This game genuinely feels slower than most 3DS and DS RPGs, and its lack of speed options seems to be bucking the trend that has dominated RPGs over the last decade.

I'll probably just have to sideboard out the slow classes if I want to stay sane.

I assume the opening is the most (only?) story-heavy part of the game?
XSII was kind of an extreme example, yeah, I was actually thinking more of FFIX/CC as a contrast with their long battle loads and longer animations. In comparison to that stuff 7th Dragon's reasonably snappy but could stand to allow skipping.

And while the game's a bit story heavy for something descended from a more basic DQ clone I do think it's easier to deal with later. Though I think it usually is when you get enough gameplay to satiate yourself.

Sterok

Wow, Insomnia Alpha was really cheap and stupid. It's got an instant death party wide attack. My Banisher could jump over it, but my other two characters had to rely on a 50% chance to survive via their items. If I could get through that, I had to deal with a dragon constantly buffing itself and has multiple ways to heal, and could just tear through my party in general. Took me a dozen times to get the right RNG to beat it, and even then it was super close.

spiritfox

Wow, Insomnia Alpha was really cheap and stupid. It's got an instant death party wide attack. My Banisher could jump over it, but my other two characters had to rely on a 50% chance to survive via their items. If I could get through that, I had to deal with a dragon constantly buffing itself and has multiple ways to heal, and could just tear through my party in general. Took me a dozen times to get the right RNG to beat it, and even then it was super close.

You can stack death resist accessories if you have the money. It'll null the attack.

Sterok

You can stack death resist accessories if you have the money. It'll null the attack.

They stack? Huh. That might come in handy. The fire dragon in that area was a relative cinch thanks to my Fortuner putting it to sleep half the time. She is easily the best member of my Agent/Rune-Knight/Fortuner party, which surprised me seeing how status effects usually are in these games. Granted it's mostly due to speed + high attack, but those statuses are a lifesaver.

Joe Molotov

If you're getting annoyed by the combat in this game, you can ignore all the random battles after Chapter 1. Camouflage is cheap, and you can get all the XP/SP you need just from fighting the dragons, which is what I did. Personally, I felt the ENC rate was too high (although I did just finish Bravely Second and Return to Popolocrois that both had variable encounter settings)..

Eusis

I suspected this when I was thinking about WHY they were always 50%, realizing it makes for an interesting design call to balance whether to sacrifice a nice accessory for full immunity or not.

vall03

I just got to the part where I had to use my 2nd team and it can't even kill a Dragon in a timely manner. I'm running Fortuner/Rune Knight/Agent and the damage output is not what I expected. Guess I got used to my 1st team Samurai/Duelist/God Hand that can easily beat Dragons easily. Thinking of replacing one member to another Samurai using a katana instead.

GeekyDad

It's a weird formula, but evidently it works for me. Pre-ordered so many RPGs in the last year, as well as paying a hefty price for a used physical copy of Bravely Default. Couldn't really stick with any of them. This game, though, has me hooked. And its problems are apparent. But I just like it a whole lot. Must be the music. :p

But yeah, the encounter rate is very high, the animations -- can't skip past them, and those freaking MySims-esque character models. But I actually like the way the skill system is set up. The fact that it's a bit of a guessing game as to what you're gonna get is actually appealing to me. The team system, though only a subtle thing, is kind of delightful. I think they just tweaked all the fundamental parts really well. Feels like a game rather than a slog. Can't say the same for games like Bravely Default, in spite of its incredible presentation. That game gives you so much more control over the actual gameplay, and yet the feeling of playing it feels very empty to me.

Neoweee

But yeah, the encounter rate is very high, the animations -- can't skip past them, and those freaking MySims-esque character models. But I actually like the way the skill system is set up. The fact that it's a bit of a guessing game as to what you're gonna get is actually appealing to me. The team system, though only a subtle thing, is kind of delightful. I think they just tweaked all the fundamental parts really well. Feels like a game rather than a slog. Can't say the same for games like Bravely Default, in spite of its incredible presentation. That game gives you so much more control over the actual gameplay, and yet the feeling of playing it feels very empty to me.

There's been a giant trend towards game speed and battle speed over the last decade in the JRPGs. Square, Atlus, and Falcom have all been adding more and more controls over that kind of thing or even straight up speed improvements (even compare the Etrian/Persona remakes/ports to their originals), so 7th Dragon III ends up feeling like it came from the middle of the last decade.

GeekyDad

There's been a giant trend towards game speed and battle speed over the last decade in the JRPGs. Square, Atlus, and Falcom have all been adding more and more controls over that kind of thing or even straight up speed improvements (even compare the Etrian/Persona remakes/ports to their originals), so 7th Dragon III ends up feeling like it came from the middle of the last decade.

Guess it just doesn't bother me that much. Bravely Default has a lot of great ideas in comparison, but the challenge just feels hollow to me. Giving me control over when to battle like it does just sucks the fun out it for me. It's like having built-in cheats. I think the new Fire Emblems are about as close to getting it right as any when it comes to offering levels of difficulty. The barrier of entry is open to everyone, but you're locked into whatever difficulty you choose.

That's probably my only real complaint with this game is, once again, having the ability to change the difficulty on the fly. Don't see the need for it, and I don't like it.

Any recommendations for Fortuner? So far I've been putting into the physical damage down skill, but I was wondering what people felt about the status inflicting skills. I've heard mixed things from GameFAQs about the usefulness of Sleep, Blind, etc.

Still a bit indecisive about how to build the rest of my team. I'm thinking of sending my Agent for hacking, keep my God Hand an aggro sink and use my Fortuner as primarily support. My second line is pretty clear cut as a chase party, with DS Samurai, Rune Knight and Dualist. Still need to finish Chapter 3 so I can move on to the last 2 classes.

spiritfox

My Fortuner is basically just there for the regeneration, which is very good. I do use bleed and sleep just for additional damage and to shut down all the jumpy dragons, but it's not very reliable. I will switch to another class but I'm almost done with the game, so meh.

Any good skill suggestions for my starting party of Single Sword Samurai, God Hand, and Hacker?

Dual-Sword Samurai is better than Single IMO for this composition. The Cyclone Dance move is great for Dragonsbane Seeds, a ton of things are Flying early on for Aerial Slash (enough mobs are flying that having basically the same skill on the Agent is a bonus), and Maple Tear is an awesome combo with Agent's TROY: Fire. God Hand isn't a powerhouse for me, and they will usually be stuck healing in any battle that's not trash.

I use a Single-Sword Samurai with my Banisher and Mage, which feels more like a natural combo to me. Or you could go full Power Bolt Drop and combo your Samurai with a Fortuner for a Bleed/Drain team.

ETA: a note about combat frequency - start talking to everyone (or at least everyone new) in your base after major story updates, base expansions, and rescue runs to get more Field Skills and items and such.

Any recommendations for Fortuner? So far I've been putting into the physical damage down skill, but I was wondering what people felt about the status inflicting skills. I've heard mixed things from GameFAQs about the usefulness of Sleep, Blind, etc.

Still a bit indecisive about how to build the rest of my team. I'm thinking of sending my Agent for hacking, keep my God Hand an aggro sink and use my Fortuner as primarily support. My second line is pretty clear cut as a chase party, with DS Samurai, Rune Knight and Dualist. Still need to finish Chapter 3 so I can move on to the last 2 classes.

leveling up one of the status inflicting skills to level 3 can make them attack everything which is pretty nifty
I leveled sleep to level 3 so I can cheese random encounters and then made her full support

Joe Molotov

I forgot to talk to the R&D Guy after buying Lv. 3 Skills, so I'd just been playing Chapter 7 with nothing but Lv. 2 Skills, lulz.

And honestly it wasn't even that hard.

I forgot to talk to the R&D Guy after buying Lv. 3 Skills, so I'd just been playing Chapter 7 with nothing but Lv. 2 Skills, lulz.

And honestly it wasn't even that hard.

Honestly, I find this game really easy overall. Some harder fights, but at the end of the day its on the easy side; and that is totally fine. The game play is fun, and your team always feels like they are progressing. Personally, I would have liked it if Dragons were a bit less common, but each was more powerful for it (maybe like a floor boss type of idea), since I reached the point where random mobs are an annoyance, and dragons are a small bump in the road pretty early (really, after I beat the first 2 dragons in Atlantis). A higher difficulty that buffs the Dragon's HP and a small damage buff would help too.

Thankfully (and a bit sadly) this game scratches a similar itch as Etrian Odyssey (and makes me want EO5 to come out). I was playing Stranger of Sword City before, but that wasn't doing it for me (and insta-kill critical attacks were not something I wanted to deal with).

Top Bottom