• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7th Dragon III – Code: VFD |OT| Of Seiyuus and Seiryuus

Sorry for the bump, but I think I'm at the point of no return and wanted to see if I missed something. I just started playing this again.

One of my Arrival points for the Berg Sea Palace area in Atlantis is still "???" and I can't travel there. I'm currently at chapter 5.1, did I miss something down there? I seem to have all the arrival points for everywhere else.

NeonZ

There's no real "point of no return" in the game, in spite of certain twists in the narrative. You do get blocked from certain features for a while due to the story, but afterwards they open up again.

Regarding the sea palace, there's a teleport point in the room to the right of the palace's entrance, one inside the labyrinth and one at the "base". You need to go through all those locations to progress in the story though, so you likely just forgot to active one of the exit points.

There's no real "point of no return" in the game, in spite of certain twists in the narrative. You do get blocked from certain features for a while due to the story, but afterwards they open up again.

Regarding the sea palace, there's a teleport point in the room to the right of the palace's entrance, one inside the labyrinth and one at the "base". You need to go through all those locations to progress in the story though, so you likely just forgot to active one of the exit points.

Thanks for the response.

That ??? is bothering me hardcore though, so now I gotta go back down there and see if I can find it. >_>

Just tried the demo on the EU store. I'm a little disappointed by the performance. It stutters while traveling around and it also doesn't feel smooth at all

So this is finally out in Australia, and god am I salty that I couldn't play this earlier.

Despite being ambivalent about the God Hand when I first saw the classes, she's somehow climbed up to be my favourite class. Currently trying to find a way to build a team around her and my hacking Agent. I'm currently thinking Fortuner for group heals and and statuses, while Agent hacks and a God Hand punches fools.

Meffer

So this is finally out in Australia, and god am I salty that I couldn't play this earlier.

Despite being ambivalent about the God Hand when I first saw the classes, she's somehow climbed up to be my favourite class. Currently trying to find a way to build a team around her and my hacking Agent. I'm currently thinking Fortuner for group heals and and statuses, while Agent hacks and a God Hand punches fools.

The game is very flexible with team combinations and you can find OP teams easily. It's great.

spiritfox

God Hands are great. I had one even after I unlocked Banishers cause it hits hard and has great utility. Also combat maids are the bestest.

Anyone mind spoiling when the 3rd party unlocks? I was under the impression that the additional classes and parties unlock early, but I'm nearly 12 hours in and no 3rd party and last batch of classes in sight

Dee Dee

No Hosoya Yoshimasa, no buy.

That Seiyuu list is crazy though, honestly contemplating buying it for that alone. EU release does have JP voices I presume?
I only skimmed the OP after having a sensible chuckle about the banner...

Linkark07

Banned
Anyone mind spoiling when the 3rd party unlocks? I was under the impression that the additional classes and parties unlock early, but I'm nearly 12 hours in and no 3rd party and last batch of classes in sight

Memory serves me right, the third party unlocks after
Emel becomes Hypnos.

Memory serves me right, the third party unlocks after
Emel becomes Hypnos.

Cool, thanks. Looks like I'm still really far off since I have no idea who that character even is.

No Hosoya Yoshimasa, no buy.

That Seiyuu list is crazy though, honestly contemplating buying it for that alone. EU release does have JP voices I presume?
I only skimmed the OP after having a sensible chuckle about the banner...

Yeah, EU release has the JP voices.

NeonZ

You get the 2nd party when you go to
Atlantis and then get reinforcements in the underground village there. The 3rd party follows a similar pattern. You'll get to a new time period and then at some point the natives from that period will offer to help you, giving you the last two classes and the last party slot.

Tizoc

About to start this game soon and would like to know of any tips or such for first time players that I should mnake note of.

PantsuJo

Just 2 hours but game seems really nice and it has awesome soundtracks.

It has some connections to previous games
especially the 2020 for PSP
, seems.

spiritfox

About to start this game soon and would like to know of any tips or such for first time players that I should mnake note of.

There isn't anything really special that you have to go out of the way for. Just EX skills which you might miss, but they do mention it outright anyway.

Tizoc

Just started playing and i like it so far
Can i change the design of any of ly chosen allies? Mustachoid sugita doesnt look too hot

spiritfox

Just started playing and i like it so far
Can i change the design of any of ly chosen allies? Mustachoid sugita doesnt look too hot

At the PC go to Manage > select the character > Change, there you can change all the cosmetic stuff.

Not sure if it's available at the beginning though.

Tizoc

At the PC go to Manage > select the character > Change, there you can change all the cosmetic stuff.

Not sure if it's available at the beginning though.
Heh infound the option actually
Gonna change my mc's name to nakai
Feels kinda neat to have nakamura, sugita and nakai all together as one's party members

Really love this game. Probably on my top 10 of the year. The classes just have such unique variety and the challenge is just right for me

Nope, it's pretty brutal early on.

Once you kinda figure out how to combo classes later on with a wider movepool I'd say the difficulty drops drastically, but early on they really make you work for those Dragon wins.

Tizoc

Nope, it's pretty brutal early on.

Once you kinda figure out how to combo classes later on with a wider movepool I'd say the difficulty drops drastically, but early on they really make you work for those Dragon wins.

Should I turn my Mage/card summoner into a Hacker? My Godhand and samurai are dealing good damage but my mage feels like the weakest link if he doesn't get the right cards.

Tizoc

Man this game should've introduced some stuff earlier to make certain battles less tedious lol.
Loving the game so far although the Dragon fights aren't that tough atm.

Should I turn my Mage/card summoner into a Hacker? My Godhand and samurai are dealing good damage but my mage feels like the weakest link if he doesn't get the right cards.

I would hold off. At first Card Dudes seem to be underpowered in comparison to other classes.

Then you see what synergizes with their abilities.

I'd focus on stuff at first that gets more cards in your hand or lets you pull more cards and then see what abilities benefit the most with card usage. Like, if you think fire is the way to go then focus on getting as many fire cards in your hand as you can and using abilities.

When I combo'd all the Duelists fire abilities with a Agent's fire hacking I was outputting ridiculous damage every turn. Stuff like making an enemy weak to fire, hitting them with a fire attack that then auto-uses more fire damage after it, have a fire attack activate at the end of round based on how many fire cards I've used which then has a fire attack activate after it. Basically getting four attacks a round that get progressively stronger every round.

I'll also say that trap cards are way more useful than you think and that if you can actually pull of getting all three traps to hit an enemy to activate Judgment, even at level 1 the damage it does is fucking stupid.

I really loved my Duelist. My first party was Godhand (fucking stupid powerful on their own), Agent (incredibly good synergy, go either hacking or guns because both skillsets are really REALLY good. Hacking for survival by letting you pull MP or make enemies not hit you, guns for...attacking like 30 times a turn) and Duelist who I used as above. Pull fire cards, drop fire spells and watch the damage rack up.

I adored this game. Def in my top 10 of 2016

Tizoc

Made it mchapter 3.6
Still having a blast but imho the dragons shoudlve been fewer anf made a little stronger as theyr battles are kinda reptitive

Lagamorph

Holy crap the difficulty spike when you get to the second Atlantis area is a bit bloody drastic isn't it? I've done the available quests, bought the best available gear in the shop, spent my skill points and at the end of the first Atlantis area I was just breezing through the bosses, but as soon as I enter the second area (Where the ISDF are hanging back waiting for you to beat a boss dragon to remove a Dragonsbane wall)....even regular encounters are difficult to get through. And the boss dragons wandering about? Yeah, not a chance.

Is grinding really my only option? My characters are all Level 13 (Duelist, God Hand and Agent) and it takes quite a few battles to actually get a level up from the enemies in the second area.

Tizoc

Holy crap the difficulty spike when you get to the second Atlantis area is a bit bloody drastic isn't it? I've done the available quests, bought the best available gear in the shop, spent my skill points and at the end of the first Atlantis area I was just breezing through the bosses, but as soon as I enter the second area (Where the ISDF are hanging back waiting for you to beat a boss dragon to remove a Dragonsbane wall)....even regular encounters are difficult to get through. And the boss dragons wandering about? Yeah, not a chance.

Is grinding really my only option? My characters are all Level 13 (Duelist, God Hand and Agent) and it takes quite a few battles to actually get a level up from the enemies in the second area.
Dont bother grinding
Attempt to initiate a pre empt attack on the dragons instead by running at them while their back is turned
Spam ur strongest abilities qnd ull be able tombeat them

Oregano

I've been playing this game over the last few weeks(mainly over Christmas though). Just going to find Nyala and kill it. The game's difficulty definitely ebbs and flows but since getting a second team and switching things up a bit I'm finding good strategies.

Tizoc

She's one of the harder ones. Equip status resists.
Ish aint helping much sadly T_T
I need a tell to know when she is gonna do her ultimate attack
Long as i know it is coming i can beat her
Paralysis seems to be effective so ill see if the hacker can help

Lagamorph

I gotta say I'm super disappointed in the way you just create random/generic NPCs for your party rather than recruit actual characters. It really put me off DQ IX as well.

NeonZ

I gotta say I'm super disappointed in the way you just create random/generic NPCs for your party rather than recruit actual characters. It really put me off DQ IX as well.

The battle quotes and also generic lines in the base give them more presence to me, like having a Sugita voiced God Fist alongside an arrogant female hacker or an Akira Ishida voiced duelist (with the male hacker artwork) gives them a very different presence from the actual complete silence of the DQIX characters.

You get character development for various npcs that help your party through the game, although the romance system tied to that feels kind of odd (since advancing the conversations is tied to two later upgrades for the Skylounge - with two conversations tied to the second one and one to the final one). It's weird though how the relationships between your own custom characters are all person to person, having their own individual gauges (this is only relevant in order to get them to have better chance of making good food though), while with the npcs they treat all your characters like they're the same person (you can start a Skylounge line with one character and then switch to another for the later conversations).

Tizoc

Fffffffffffffffffffffuck you
rika you bitch and ur fucking last minute charm hitting all my team and then u power up and do ur shotty all attack
Why in the fuck are enemies in this game acting faster than me cor in just about every battle @_@

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Got this for christmas an started it up today. I encountered a huge difficulty spike of dumb cause its been months since I played the demo. So I went straight to Atlantis an got my butt kicked. Somehow managed to make it through... despite having just starter weapons/armor x.x; Hope SP acquistion ramps up cause even just Level 1 skills seem expensive.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Wow @ Atlantis taking me 9 hours ta get through. For the first non-tutorial area of an rpg that's incredibly long! I don't get the use of the backup squad. Most battles are over before even one of 'em is useable an the maybe 2 times all three were ready to go their effects didn't even do anything? Two Samurai and a Rune Knight are my main team right now an they really get the job done!

Any tips to defeating the final boss? I got 3 teams and each member is a unique class.

Also finally found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBCVvL5r88I

You just cheese with EX skills if you have them.

Fortuner is a very good support class. If you want damage, put points into Banisher's Earthquake and Rune Knight's Brave Sword. Using Solid Stance + Poplar Admiral does a lot of damage on the Dual Blade Samurai build. A proper combination of attacking, healing, buff/debuffs, and team attacks will get you through.

Having status protection is very important, and you should have very useful accessories for that.

The later battles are not cakewalks, but I didn't find them to be that hard either.

EDIT: You may have already beat it by now. I saw this thread get bumped, and I noticed that your post is much older than I thought.

SkyOdin

Wow @ Atlantis taking me 9 hours ta get through. For the first non-tutorial area of an rpg that's incredibly long! I don't get the use of the backup squad. Most battles are over before even one of 'em is useable an the maybe 2 times all three were ready to go their effects didn't even do anything? Two Samurai and a Rune Knight are my main team right now an they really get the job done!
There are two ways to use the back-up squad. If one of the back-up team members has two bars filled, you can tap their portrait to cause them to do an attack in addition to your main team's actions. These buddy attacks will inflict debuffs on the enemy based on the class of the supporting character, and strip away an enemy's buffs.

The support action that the whole backup team performs will vary in effect based on its composition:
Samurai: boosts Atk of whole main party
Agent: boosts Speed
Rune Knight: boosts Magic Defense
Duelist: removes negative status from front party
God Hand: heals party's hp
Fortuner: revives dead party members

Agents and Rune Knights build up their support gauge very quickly, making them good at buddy attacks. Fortuner's build up gauge very slowly, but have a potent team support effect. The other classes are between those extremes.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
There are two ways to use the back-up squad. If one of the back-up team members has two bars filled, you can tap their portrait to cause them to do an attack in addition to your main team's actions. These buddy attacks will inflict debuffs on the enemy based on the class of the supporting character, and strip away an enemy's buffs.

The support action that the whole backup team performs will vary in effect based on its composition:
Samurai: boosts Atk of whole main party
Agent: boosts Speed
Rune Knight: boosts Magic Defense
Duelist: removes negative status from front party
God Hand: heals party's hp
Fortuner: revives dead party members

Agents and Rune Knights build up their support gauge very quickly, making them good at buddy attacks. Fortuner's build up gauge very slowly, but have a potent team support effect. The other classes are between those extremes.
Haven't run into a situation in which any of those would come off as anything aside from a minor boost but its still good to learn about 'em now before I'm in to deep! Never even made an Agent yet so I should prolly do that and experiment some more!

Tizoc

You just cheese with EX skills if you have them.

Fortuner is a very good support class. If you want damage, put points into Banisher's Earthquake and Rune Knight's Brave Sword. Using Solid Stance + Poplar Admiral does a lot of damage on the Dual Blade Samurai build. A proper combination of attacking, healing, buff/debuffs, and team attacks will get you through.

Having status protection is very important, and you should have very useful accessories for that.

The later battles are not cakewalks, but I didn't find them to be that hard either.

EDIT: You may have already beat it by now. I saw this thread get bumped, and I noticed that your post is much older than I thought.
Thanks for the info but i just now decided to go back and beat it ^^;
Yes i took a monthlong break from the game and beat that damned final boss oof
Used up 10 of my full lf recogery items
I can see myself going back into this game in the future
Despite any shortcomings i enjoyed the combat system

Iv read this game's system is similar to etrian odyssey right? I plan on playing those i. The future

Sciel

Completed this today and it was a rather fun ride.

I gotta say that I really really disliked the last 20-30% of the game though, it just reminded me too much of shitty light novel anime adaptations. The story (whatever semblence of it lol) just felt extremely rushed and fell off a cliff. Feels like they ran out of budget or something really.

Gameplay wise, the last 20-30% of the game basically comes down to cheesing enemies/bosses using certain classes and EX skills. Yeah you can do it the "normal" way , but why would you really? Fights just get drawn out even more and you are more suspceptible to whatever bs skills the bosses can throw at you.

Also,
fuck the 4(?) times in the game where yiu have to split your party.

tl;dr Most reviews have given this about a 7 which seems right. Above average game thats massively dragged down by a questionable narrative and some elements of its gameplay.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Oh ya I finished the game last month. That story sure went places I didn't expect nor grasp x.x?

Had alot of fun playing anyhow! Loved how each era had different regular battle themes and the variety of them in general!

Also,
fuck the 4(?) times in the game where yiu have to split your party.
Yeah those parts kinda sucked. May be my fault more then the games however. They do suggest you mix up your team and try lots of different combinations more than once. But its so easy to get comfortable with a setup you've been using a good chunk of the game~

Top Bottom