• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8.4 mil PS4 shippeds during Oct-Dec 2015

jjonez18

To compare, what was their shipments for 2014 fy?

FY13 - 7.5m
FY14 - 14.8m
FY15 Forecast - 17.5m (Currently at 15.4m. Q4 should be easily >2m.)

With image sensors those are used in iPhone's right?

Apple recently reported quite a drop in iPhone sales for the quarter so maybe it's tied to that?

Loss in devices is mainly due to lower than expected image sensor and battery sales as well as a write down on some overvalued stock. So yeah, sensors not moving like they used to, but the main anchor was that write down (30.6 Bil yen).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Game division made 40 billion yen ($330 million) operating income during the quarter.

83 billion yen in this FY so far (Q1 - Q3), game division has the potential to exceed 100 billion yen by the end of this FY. That would be comparable to the PS2 best year profit (113 billion yen in 2002).

This puts into stark clarity just how different today is from those days. Sony's Vita/PS3/PS4(but lets be honest, a majority of that is PS4 at this point) profits are more than keeping them up with their best days of PS2

RexNovis

Banned
This puts into stark clarity just how different today is from those days. Sony's Vita/PS3/PS4(but lets be honest, a majority of that is PS4 at this point) profits are more than keeping them up with their best days of PS2

"83 billion yen in this FY so far (Q1 - Q3), game division has the potential to exceed 100 billion yen by the end of this FY. That would be comparable to the PS2 best year profit (113 billion yen in 2002)."

I said dayumn. That's some profit right thurr.

But what about the MAUs?

Join me in a hymn to his MAUgnificence!

MAU land is your land
MAU land is my land
From the Windows desktop
To the Surface store stand.
This land was ads for MAU and Me

Praise be!

2507937-3599889912-23846.gif

What's promising is that Sony is pumping those profits back into PlayStation, not shifting them to other parts of their business like a certain other corporation. Excellent news for PS4 gamers, provided Sony doesn't spend a billion dollars engineering superfluous PS5 tech.

Apt101

once they've saturated the consumer base of all price brackets sure.

PS4 ain't slowing down in 2016. Price drop + killer line up = continued or increased interest.

It's just incredible to me. I knew coming out of that first E3 the PS4 was going to bolt out of the gates, but I'd have never guessed they would still be going so strong two years out. Ah, Tretton. I miss you.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What's promising is that Sony is pumping those profits back into PlayStation, not shifting them to other parts of their business like a certain other corporation. Excellent news for PS4 gamers, provided Sony doesn't spend a billion dollars engineering superfluous PS5 tech.

Hah, well you know...i'm glad they have a lot of funds to smartly invest hopefully hah

Its actually amazing, just by nature of destroying the competition, they have a shit ton of third party 'exclusive' titles without having to even worry about first party all that much(and even more that might as well be ps4 exclusive due to lack of XB1 user interest), even though they have a good amount coming down the pipe anyway,

sono

Not bad for a console that has only a few games.

well at least it has some, unlike the ps3

samar11

Meanwhile Sony shares have been plummeting over the last 2 months including all other major tech companies. Is this because of the Chinca/oil effect?

Hah, well you know...i'm glad they have a lot of funds to smartly invest hopefully hah

Its actually amazing, just by nature of destroying the competition, they have a shit ton of third party 'exclusive' titles without having to even worry about first party all that much(and even more that might as well be ps4 exclusive due to lack of XB1 user interest), even though they have a good amount coming down the pipe anyway,

Yeah, they have had almost everything go right for them this generation but they deserve credit for capitalizing on every opportunity that MS handed them. Without the 2:1 advantage they don't get those 3rd party exclusives that they've needed. It would take some collossal, boneheaded decisions from House and Co. for them to lose the momentum they currently have and the excitement around PlayStation hasn't been this high for a long time. It is going to take a miracle for MS to regain that prominence they once had just like it took one for Sony to return to the top in such strong form. And again, unless Sony pulls another cell, I don't see them giving up the top spot for a long time. They know how to screw up during generational shifts, but they also know how to own them (PS2,PS4).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That's a very good amount of units shipped. Also, considering the current sold-throgh, 1.8 millions is a healthy amount of units in inventories.

imagine if sony does a GTA6 bundle at 249$ in 2017. thats gonna be insane. these sales are amazing, and rockstar still hasn't even released a nextgen exclusive game. hoping gran turismo will return to former glory on ps4, and uncharted 4 if marketed right should move plenty of consoles as well.

Another numbers thread, turned into a MAU begin one! Sony will never release the MAU numbers, deal with it! :D

All hail supreme leader MAU!

DieH@rd

Banned
Not this year for sure.

50M is easily reachable in 2016.

#1 PS4 sold 17M+ in 2015 [FY], next year will most likely be a repeat of that number, very possibly higher
#2 PS4 is still highly desirable all across the world, there are no big moves from current competition
#3 the exclusive game lineup and Japanese games release schedule looks to be MUCH better this year
#4 we will get entire year of $350 price, not just few months like in 2015
#5 unknown positive effect of PSVR [it will not be a negative effect, that's for sure]
#6 possible drop to $299 in late 2016 [smaller transistor size for the APU]

hzelsc.gif

:D

B.O.O.M

50M is easily reachable in 2016.

#1 PS4 sold 17M+ in 2015 [FY], next year will most likely be a repeat of that number, very possibly higher
#2 PS4 is still highly desirable all across the world, there are no big moves from current competition
#3 the exclusive game lineup and Japanese games release schedule looks to be MUCH better this year
#4 we will get entire year of $350 price, not just few months like in 2015
#5 unknown positive effect of PSVR [it will not be a negative effect, that's for sure]
#6 possible drop to $299 in late 2016 [smaller transistor size for the APU]

hzelsc.gif

:D

man where is that gif from?

OT: insane numbers. Very good quarter for Sony as a whole

Xenus

I'm of the opinion that a PS4 slim redesign will come a lot sooner then people think. A $249 PS4 slim would do gangbusters.

Honestly I'd wait for HBM2 to be shippable in high numbers to do a redesign. The ability to put the RAM in one stack would massively simplify the PCB design and shrink the size potentially leading to huge cost savings.

Felessan

Is this because of the Chinca/oil effect?
Stronger yen/China(global economy slowdown worries)

Honestly I'd wait for HBM2 to be shippable in high numbers to do a redesign. The ability to put the RAM in one stack would massively simplify the PCB design and shrink the size potentially leading to huge cost savings.
They can do 2 redesigns. They will do at least partial redesign of interior on smaller APU.

wachie

HBM2 for PS4? Lets not get wild.

Top Bottom